Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2010, 08:50 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: kidsslavelady
first hcg, now atkins

Hi All, Is there anyone who has done HCG and is now doing Atkins? I lost 20 lb. on HCG diet but got so bored with it that I've decided to go back to Atkins. I have had previous successes on Atkins, love all of the food choices but am having trouble gettin into the purple zone. Actually ketostick not changing at all yet but it's only day 2 of Atkins Induction. thanks all!
kidsslavelady is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-2010, 09:05 PM   #2
Administrator

Gallery: cheri
Stats: 150 + pounds lost - 4' 11"
It can take a week or more to get into ketosis so I wouldn't worry about it not changing yet.. I am sure you will do fine.. The best thing is to be on a diet plan that you are happy with and works for you.. Since you have had previous successes I am sure you will again! Good luck!!

cheri
cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 12:05 PM   #3
Junior LCF Member

thanks so much Cheri. I do really like the low carb lifestyle and it really makes me feel like I can eat and not worry about every ounce of fat etc. The HCG diet, although very successful- down 20 lbs and only 10 more to go- is too limiting for me and very very boring!
Old 07-21-2010, 01:14 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sassy_red
Stats: 230/192.2/145 - 5'8"
WOE: HCG/Simeon's Protocol
Start Date: 23 July '10 (R1P2) ~ 7 Sep '10 (R2P2)
Atkins is great stuff. I'm looking to start HCG/Simeon's myself in the next week or two, how long did it take you to remove the weight with the HCG?
sassy_red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 01:39 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JKat
Start Date: December 2003
what is hcg diet??
JKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 02:12 PM   #6
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Terilynn
Stats: back to LC 1/6/14, going to stick to & make it
WOE: LC
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidsslavelady View Post
Hi All, Is there anyone who has done HCG and is now doing Atkins? I lost 20 lb. on HCG diet but got so bored with it that I've decided to go back to Atkins. I have had previous successes on Atkins, love all of the food choices but am having trouble gettin into the purple zone. Actually ketostick not changing at all yet but it's only day 2 of Atkins Induction. thanks all!
If you got bored with HCG, I can not imagine not getting bored with Atkins. After the 21-40 injection or drop days diet is similar to Atkins with a bit more variety. I think the cycles are great. Always an end in sight.
Terilynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 04:02 PM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Ok, the HCG diet was injections every day and a 500 calorie diet. The part that was so boring was that there were no choices. I had to have 4oz protein lunch with 1 c. steamed veggie or 2 c. raw veggies. Veggies were very selective, I could only have certain ones. No butters, fats, oils etc. There was no breakfast either which was strange too. I wasn't hungry ever tho. But I could only have white types of fish, no salmon. And after a while, only getting vinegars or lemon got sour and boring. It took me one month to lose 20 lbs. The first two weeks, I lost tons but the last two weeks, I staggered over about four pounds! Lots of plateaus which was no great. I like that in Atkins I can have fats and salmon and cream in my coffee. I also was supposed to drink 3 liters of water which was nearly impossible. I usually drink 2 liters or so which is do-able. That extra liter was very very hard. If I didn't drink the 3 liters, I wouldn't lose any weight the next day!
Old 07-22-2010, 05:24 AM   #8
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Terilynn
Stats: back to LC 1/6/14, going to stick to & make it
kidslavelady - I don't want to argue so please don't take this as that..... You were almost there...ready to eat Atkins style. Those restrictions are for very short periods of time and from what I am reading (still haven't even done it myself so really...ignore me cuz I haven't walked in your shoes yet - but I will have, I start Saturday) 21-40 days of eating restrictively 2 to 4 times a year is well worth the weight loss and the resetting of the metabolism, etc. (if, what they say is true )
Terilynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 12:01 AM   #9
Junior LCF Member

I certainly don't take it as an arguement, Terilynn, but I feel as though Atkins lifestyle is better for me than restrictions 2-4 times a year. I maintained my 30 lb weight loss for five years until I got sick with cancer and stress was at an all time high! Now, ready to shed that weight I gained back, same damned 30 lbs, and missed Atkins alot. The HCG gave me the head start I needed, twenty pounds off, but I really found it too restrictive and I never felt that I would get back to Atkins eating. The maintenance phase of HCG was similar to Atkins, true, but still WAY too many rules for me to follow and this is working best for me. I'm down another 4 lbs, been in the dark pink for a week now, it's working perfectly and I feel in total control of my life. Gotta love it! Wishing u the best of luck!
Old 07-25-2010, 05:31 AM   #10
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
I certainly don't take it as an arguement, Terilynn, but I feel as though Atkins lifestyle is better for me than restrictions 2-4 times a year. I maintained my 30 lb weight loss for five years until I got sick with cancer and stress was at an all time high! Now, ready to shed that weight I gained back, same damned 30 lbs, and missed Atkins alot. The HCG gave me the head start I needed, twenty pounds off, but I really found it too restrictive and I never felt that I would get back to Atkins eating. The maintenance phase of HCG was similar to Atkins, true, but still WAY too many rules for me to follow and this is working best for me. I'm down another 4 lbs, been in the dark pink for a week now, it's working perfectly and I feel in total control of my life. Gotta love it! Wishing u the best of luck!
First and foremost, sorry about the illness. I can only imagine how difficult that must have been.

back to Atkins. I too love having control over my eating - it is the best part of it for me!!
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 05:30 PM   #11
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: anewlife
I'm in a similar situation...

Quote:
I have lost 37 pounds on the hcg protocol. I can honestly say I have hated every moment of it...well, there were a few days I wasn't hungry! I have a lot to lose so I used hcg as a jump start.
My question is, did you do maintenance after the injections or go right to Atkins. I can't wait to get started and was thinking about not doing maintenance and going straight to Atkins, which is the only diet for me...I lost over a hundred pounds before I got pregnant, although I gained it all back during the pregnancy! I never felt deprived on the diet and when I did it there were low-carb products to be found.
One last question, did you gain any weight when you switched diets, I am very concerned I will gain some weight back because the two diets are so different. Thanks so much for your post. I wish you lots of luck and success!
anewlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 08:04 PM   #12
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: afuentes
Stats: 188/145/130 - I am 5'6"
WOE: Primal/low carb with weight training
Start Date: honest restart - 11/20/08
That is basically what I did last year. I needed something to boost my weight loss b/c I was mentally not "ready" to do it again. I lost the first half with hcg and the second half with modified Atkins/bodybuilding.
afuentes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 10:21 AM   #13
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/142.5/135
WOE: HCG
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG 11/2013
I think Atkins/low carb is the perfect complement to the phase 3 of hCG, In fact, with teh exception of NO starch or sugar for the 3 weeks after, it is very similar to atkins style low carb. I don't see them as contradictory but complementary. Congratulations on sticking with Protocol to get your losses. Now Low carb is a great way to maintain or lose even more, and you will probably appreciate low carb even more after being restrictive of fats and for so long.

i was looking over my HCG menu and funny thing is the vegetable list is quite similar but with more veggies via low carb, I eat the same veggies just add cauliflower, brocolli, zuchini and many other more low-starch veggies to the mix. the biggest difference is the variety of meats and fats you can have. The similarity is the lack of starch and sugar.

BTW, it will take a few days to switch over to ketosis. if you have been following Simeons P3 guidelines, you may still have a good amount of natural non-starch/sugar carbohydrates still avaialable to use up before triggering ketosis.

KUTGW, and again Congratulations on your losses and perseverance!!
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 12:12 PM   #14
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: anewlife
Thanks so much everyone...

I am new at this so it took me hours to find where I posted this!!! Thanks so much to all of you for your terrific advice and well wishes. I have never shared my experience with anyone before, I have been looking at everyone's comments for some time, but I am sure glad I decided to start posting because it's wonderful to know how much support is out there and that there are many people in the same situation as me. I have a long journey ahead of me so it is nice to know you are all out there with me every step of the way!

Thanks again for the great tips, I am going to start Atkins on Monday morning. Wish me luck!
anewlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 12:31 PM   #15
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Star73
Stats: 238/220/140
Start Date: 10/01/2012
I'm not familiar with the HCG diet, but I do know I don't like rules when eating. I can't stand to go by a strict food program. Some may feel that Atkins is strict but there are really tons of choices..you just have to research and look into them. I like it that I have choices. As far as your ketostix goes...I don't see a change until about the 3rd day...but everyone is different! Good luck to you
Star73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 01:17 PM   #16
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: gettingthinner
Stats: 266/253/130
WOE: hcg/EFGT
Start Date: October 2010
I tried HCG and couldn't stand only doing 500 calories per day especially since I'm feeding kids and I don't think the bottle I bought was all that real.

Is there a reason why you can't do HCG and Atkins instead of doing the Simeons way? If HCG is supposed to keep you from getting hungry and takes your body out of starvation mode but you can't eat fat, does it store the fat to prep you for "if you were pregnant?" Is that why you can't have the fat or more than 500 cal? Or is it safe to do the low carb Atkins on it?
gettingthinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 01:26 PM   #17

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/142.5/135
WOE: HCG
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG 11/2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by gettingthinner View Post
I tried HCG and couldn't stand only doing 500 calories per day especially since I'm feeding kids and I don't think the bottle I bought was all that real.

Is there a reason why you can't do HCG and Atkins instead of doing the Simeons way? If HCG is supposed to keep you from getting hungry and takes your body out of starvation mode but you can't eat fat, does it store the fat to prep you for "if you were pregnant?" Is that why you can't have the fat or more than 500 cal? Or is it safe to do the low carb Atkins on it?
The reason is that when Dr. Simeons ran the program without the calorie/fat restrictions patient's gained weight. or at least did not lose weight.

The reason you are not hungry is that the body is feverishly liberating hundreds of calories of fat for utilization. If you eat fat then it doesn't need to pull as much body fat to utilize. it is NOT atkins, doesn't work the same hormonally as Atkins, and Dr.Simeons did trials to find the best way for people to lose the most amount of weight with the least effort. Many people may tweak and lose weight more slowly but they enjoy the compromise of slower loss. Same with Atkins, you could eat more carbs and sacrifice speed for comfort. But They , in my opinion, should NOT be combine for the weight loss phases. Simeons menu provides the protein needed, your body provides the fat needed, but the whole process is accelerated by the HCG hormone, so you have less margin of error for fat consumption than with atkins which requires high fat.

I've already threadjacked enough, but to get more details just visit one of the hcg threads or google "pounds and inches" for more information. It's a valid question,indeed, but I wouldn't suggest combining them. Atkins is a good followup to the Simeons weight loss phase.
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 04:02 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mom2Mayhem
Stats: SW 274.9 / CW 263.3 / GW 160.0
WOE: LCHF + BPC
Start Date: 01/02/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by afuentes View Post
That is basically what I did last year. I needed something to boost my weight loss b/c I was mentally not "ready" to do it again. I lost the first half with hcg and the second half with modified Atkins/bodybuilding.

This is what I am doing. I have been on the HCG protocol now for 18 days, and I am down 12 pounds. I am switching to an Atkin's diet while still taking the HCG. I guess it is my little 'experiment'. My mil has lost about 40# on the HCG protocol, and she is the one that got me going on it. I am now switching to low carb. I hate apples, and I am not fond of oranges. I do love my variety of veggies I can have on Atkin's, so that is another reason why I am switching. I sure needed the jump start though from HCG.
I am 5' 7" tall

Goal: To weight 200 lbs by July 14, 2014

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”
Mom2Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 06:06 PM   #19

Gallery: peanutte
Stats: 188/118
WOE: Atkins maintenance
Start Date: 01/03/09
Quote:
It took me one month to lose 20 lbs.
20 pounds in one month is really fast--especially since you only had 30 to lose.
peanutte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 04:34 AM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shortcut
WOE: No grains/No starch/No sugar
Start Date: Sept 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star73 View Post
I'm not familiar with the HCG diet, but I do know I don't like rules when eating. I can't stand to go by a strict food program. Some may feel that Atkins is strict but there are really tons of choices..you just have to research and look into them. I like it that I have choices. As far as your ketostix goes...I don't see a change until about the 3rd day...but everyone is different! Good luck to you
I agree. I think some folks make it way too hard on themselves. For me it has been very easy. When I am in the grocery store, the first thing I look at is carb count. If any food has more than a couple of carbs per serving, I just put it back on the shelf. I am amazed at the food choices that I have. And almost all of the food is rich and satisfying. Certainly beats eating sticks and twigs for months on end.
I admit that I was born lucky on one account. I never have liked fruit except for the occasional banana, and never was much of a sweets person. What made me overweight was all the bread, breakfast cereal and chips.
All that just to say: Keep it simple. Don't make it too hard on yourself. The great thing about low carb is that it is so simple and satisfying.

This WOE is kind of like fishing in the rain. You have to want to do it.
Just a few more pounds to get down to the weight I never thought I would get up to.
shortcut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 04:48 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mom2Mayhem
Stats: SW 274.9 / CW 263.3 / GW 160.0
WOE: LCHF + BPC
Start Date: 01/02/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortcut View Post
I admit that I was born lucky on one account. I never have liked fruit except for the occasional banana, and never was much of a sweets person. What made me overweight was all the bread, breakfast cereal and chips.
Hi Danny
I am the same way. I don't like fruit or sweets much at all, but I do love salty chips, crackers, and BREAD! Those were my downfalls. I just switched from HCG Protocol because I hate eating the apples and oranges they want us to. After switching though, I am down 2.6 lbs from yesterday.
Mom2Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 11:41 PM   #22
Administrator

Gallery: cheri
Stats: 150 + pounds lost - 4' 11"
There are several people that do the hcg diet without doing the diet protocol. Take a look at this group.. I am sure they would be happy to share what they are doing and what tweaks they have made to make it work for them..

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/hc...22-2010-a.html
cheri is offline   Reply With Quote