Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Adventure at Cracker Barrel! (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/683778-adventure-cracker-barrel.html)

Beeb 07-20-2010 05:18 PM

Adventure at Cracker Barrel!
 
While traveling last week my BF and I stopped for breakfast at Cracker Barrel.

Now, they are still on of the few places that has a Low Carb section on their menu, but the problem is there is so much food for each selection that I couldn't order from it. The average breakfast on the LC section was this:

Country Grilled Sampler

Three Eggs* cooked to order,
a sampling of Bacon, Sausage
and Country Ham,
and sliced tomatoes.
(4 net carbs plus 5 net
carbs for toast)

Eggs* n Meat

Three Eggs cooked to order
and served with your choice of
Bacon or Sausage,
and sliced tomatoes.
(2 net carbs plus 5 net
carbs for toast)

Double Meat Breakfast

Three Eggs* cooked to order with
a full order of Bacon
and a full order of Sausage.
Served with sliced tomatoes.
(3 net carbs plus 5 net
carbs for toast)

Ok, even on a great day I never eat 3 eggs, plus all that meat. I watch calories (yes, they matter to me! ;)) so I decided instead of wasting food I would order from the regular menu; 1 egg, 2 turkey sausage, no bread/hash browns/etc., a side of fresh berries or fruit.

I explain that I wanted just an egg and turkey sausage w/side of berries or fruit and NOTHING ELSE because I was a Low Carb eater and I didn't eat bread/potatos. The waitress was so nice, and I THOUGHT understood exactly what I was saying (after all she was shaking her head when I was talking about NO CARBY FOODS) so I was so shocked when she said:

WOULD YOU LIKE HASH BROWNS OR TOAST WITH THAT! :confused::eek::stars::doh:

I just laughed and said, No, thank you, but a nice side of blueberries would be wonderful.

OH, the adventures of eating in a high carb world! :rolleyes::laugh:

arkie1 07-20-2010 05:28 PM

I LOVE Cracker Barrel, and have no trouble eating their LC Breakfast! But, I don't count the calories, just the carbs. I usually get the eggs and meat breakfast, and savor every bite of it. There may come a time that I have to start counting calories, but not yet.

Carole

PianoAl 07-20-2010 06:16 PM

Quote:

...and NOTHING ELSE because I was a Low Carb eater
My recommendation: Don't say anything about low carbs. Just say I'd like the eggs and sausage please. No potatoes or toast. They'll say "No potatoes or toast???" And you say "that's right."

Remember that 90% or more of the population doesn't know a carbohydrate from a carburetor . You don't have to explain or teach, and they don't have to know why you're not eating bread. And if they bring bread or potatoes, just put them aside.

That seems to work for us.

CindyM75 07-20-2010 06:29 PM

They will also make an omelet for you. It's not on the menu but they will make one with any meat you like.

sweetpoison 07-20-2010 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CindyM75 (Post 13710857)
They will also make an omelet for you. It's not on the menu but they will make one with any meat you like.

This is good to know.... always wondered why no omelet...

NeverGoinBack 07-20-2010 08:02 PM

I was there last weekend, and I ordered the burger off of the low carb menu, she asked if fries were ok.....I told her no, for my side I was choosing green beans, because I wanted the burger from the low carb menu. It came on a bun :stars:

Catrapoin 07-20-2010 08:58 PM

I :heart: Cracker Barrel! I wish there was one nearby!

KOO 07-20-2010 09:01 PM

I eat at Cracker Barrel at least twice a month. I really want to know how their bread is only 5 net carbs. I am sure its not the sourdough toast that I love so much.

BrooklynBellesMama 07-20-2010 09:17 PM

Hmm....I got all excited about a Cracker Barrel post because my work just so happens to be right next door to one. I would love to be able to find a restaurant that has a low carb menu. But now I am not so sure! I am one of those people that would have to ask them why they would offer me toast or a bun or hashbrowns when its low carb. I have a hard time believing something is really low carb when they are offering toast with it!!!!! LOL. hm..well I will still probably check it out sometime.

bivie 07-20-2010 09:28 PM

Quote:

Country Grilled Sampler

Three Eggs* cooked to order,
a sampling of Bacon, Sausage
and Country Ham,
and sliced tomatoes.
(4 net carbs plus 5 net
carbs for toast)

Eggs* n Meat

Three Eggs cooked to order
and served with your choice of
Bacon or Sausage,
and sliced tomatoes.
(2 net carbs plus 5 net
carbs for toast)

Double Meat Breakfast

Three Eggs* cooked to order with
a full order of Bacon
and a full order of Sausage.
Served with sliced tomatoes.
(3 net carbs plus 5 net
carbs for toast)
Yes, thank ya, I'll take all of that without the toast.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PianoAl (Post 13710815)
...90% or more of the population doesn't know a carbohydrate from a carburetor...

Now that's funny, right there :rofl:

Leo41 07-21-2010 03:13 AM

I agree about not mentioning carbs at all--it just confuses people. Anytime I eat out, I just explain exactly what I want and don't want. I find that it usually helps if I'm having dinner to ask them to omit bread or potatoes because they often don't give enough veggies for me, and when I tell them that I don't want the potatoes, they usually give me more veggies--which is nice.

I never have a problem at breakfast just asking them to omit hash browns or toast OR ordering just eggs and bacon--nothing else.

So many people have allergies or food sensitivities these days that most wait staff don't bat an eye over these requests.

stardustshadow 07-21-2010 04:27 AM

Yep; I would just say no bread or potatoes, and if they seem puzzled, I would say 'allergies'!

I am looking forward to eating at the Cracker Barrel when we visit the US in September! It is one of the places that I can count on to have SOMEhtIng I can eat:)

baindegael 07-21-2010 04:49 AM

mmmm double meat breakfast.... I used to live on it (eggs with colby cheese).

I order off the regular menu everywhere and say no bread or pancakes or whatever and they usually cut me a deal because I'm not getting the full meal!

Brandiva 07-21-2010 05:00 AM

I used to eat there for lunch fairly regularly and would order their grilled catfish and two sides of greens. Delish!

Shimmer 07-21-2010 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beeb (Post 13710655)

Double Meat Breakfast

Three Eggs* cooked to order with
a full order of Bacon
and a full order of Sausage.
Served with sliced tomatoes.
(3 net carbs plus 5 net
carbs for toast)

Ok, even on a great day I never eat 3 eggs, plus all that meat.

I don't either. But I order the double meat breakfast, eat half and take the rest home for a no-cook breakfast the next day.

Starcat 07-21-2010 07:53 PM

My husband and I ate at Cracker Barrel recently with a large group of friends. Because of the size of our party, we had two waitresses. My waitress understood that I was ordering off the low carb menu and did not offer any bread to go with the meal. The waitress serving my husband's side of the table asked if he wanted biscuits or cornbread. We responded, no he's ordering off the low carb menu. Then, she brought him salad with croutons. I appreciate that they offer low carb, but I wish all the wait staff understood what it means.

Joy-FL 07-21-2010 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leo41 (Post 13711575)
I agree about not mentioning carbs at all--it just confuses people.

Once I ordered a low carb burger from BK and the guy making it yelled, "Is lettuce low carb? Yeah? Okay," and then promptly covered it in ketchup.

Shimmer 07-22-2010 05:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Starcat (Post 13714988)
I appreciate that they offer low carb, but I wish all the wait staff understood what it means.

Hardee's has offered the LC Thickburger for a long time didn't have salads on their menu. So I'd order the LCT & diet pop and they'd ask if I wanted to make it a combo. Knowing the answer, I'd ask what else was in a combo. French fries!:doh: So I'd ask if they were low carb fries:rolleyes:. The employees were clueless on the whole LC thing. I always emailed the company when I got home and others must have, too, because they have salads now.

batlou 07-22-2010 06:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leo41 (Post 13711575)
I agree about not mentioning carbs at all--it just confuses people. Anytime I eat out, I just explain exactly what I want and don't want. I find that it usually helps if I'm having dinner to ask them to omit bread or potatoes because they often don't give enough veggies for me, and when I tell them that I don't want the potatoes, they usually give me more veggies--which is nice.

I never have a problem at breakfast just asking them to omit hash browns or toast OR ordering just eggs and bacon--nothing else.

So many people have allergies or food sensitivities these days that most wait staff don't bat an eye over these requests.

X2, I used to be a server back in the old days and I frankly could care less why you had special request. Just give me the order, anything extra only served to confuse me.

Melle's_Sweetheart 07-22-2010 06:26 AM

My Husband and I eat lunch out on weekends and I'm pretty comfortable saying that most places totally understand when I request no toast, no potatoes. I don't mention low carb---they just assume gluten allergies most of the time.

afurrything 07-22-2010 11:00 AM

funny to read this today, just had breakfast there sunday.
i got the grilled sampler.
i got scrambled eggs. 1 piece of sausage, 1 piece of bacon and a small like 2" by 2" slice of ham that looked so gross i didnt touch it.
the 2 tomato slices were tiny too and didnt look like yummy homegrown ones so i didnt eat them either.
a friend ate my toast.
really though i didnt think it was much food at all.

sorry for my typing, holding a sleeping 5 year old :love:

SugarFreeSheila 09-08-2011 07:39 PM

I also agree about omitting the whole "carb" discussion with the server when dining out. It just takes too long & invites too much opportunity for error on their part. No-this/sub-that/extra-that really is all it takes anywhere - but Cracker Barrel's low-carb menu really does make starch-free ordering that much easier because you simply don't have to describe anything. Seriously, I am such a fan of that place because the food is GOOOOD. :)

nolcjunk 09-08-2011 09:31 PM

I don't think most people are so into the world of lc info- it would be hard to understand for someone who isn't lc why you don't want toast but do want fruit, so maybe you do like hashbrowns?

I've also been with people who get low/no fat everything except dressing, or get a diet soda and a sugary dessert, or no bread but pasta. My fave is my friend who is on a strict diet every time we go out and gets a tiny appetizer and very low cal entree but then winds up ordering another entree and dessert as the meal proceeds.

I would have gone with the three eggs and bacon and not finished all of the meat if it was too much. Was it a down day for you?

I know you are doing judd and often have bread in your daily menus- do you not eat bread on certain days?

I hope your future experience at Cracker Barrel is more straightforward.

2bflawless 09-09-2011 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nolcjunk (Post 14987843)
I don't think most people are so into the world of lc info- it would be hard to understand for someone who isn't lc why you don't want toast but do want fruit, so maybe you do like hashbrowns?

I've also been with people who get low/no fat everything except dressing, or get a diet soda and a sugary dessert, or no bread but pasta. My fave is my friend who is on a strict diet every time we go out and gets a tiny appetizer and very low cal entree but then winds up ordering another entree and dessert as the meal proceeds.

I would have gone with the three eggs and bacon and not finished all of the meat if it was too much. Was it a down day for you?

I know you are doing judd and often have bread in your daily menus- do you not eat bread on certain days?
I hope your future experience at Cracker Barrel is more straightforward.

This is an old thread.

Glad it was bumped I will have to check out its low carb menu!

nolcjunk 09-09-2011 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2bflawless (Post 14988311)
This is an old thread.

Glad it was bumped I will have to check out its low carb menu!

thanks for the clarification!

Dark Gypsy 09-09-2011 09:51 AM

Love Craker Barrel! My BF (who does not LC) and I will get one double meat breakfast and he "supplements" his portion with a bowl of oatmeal. He eats some of the eggs and maybe one piece of bacon and I eat the rest :)

shirlc 09-09-2011 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joy-FL (Post 13715012)
Once I ordered a low carb burger from BK and the guy making it yelled, "Is lettuce low carb? Yeah? Okay," and then promptly covered it in ketchup.

BK is the only place (fast food type) that I know of that actually has a key on the register for a "low carb burger." They always serve it to me sans the bun or catsup, but with lettuce, tomato and mayo. I usually order it with bacon and cheese.:)

SkeeterN 09-09-2013 10:27 AM

Went to Cracker Barrel recently and saw they did away with their low carb menu and replaced it with more of a WW type. So sad! But I can always find something but will miss their roast beef plate

fun w son 09-09-2013 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KOO (Post 13711316)
I eat at Cracker Barrel at least twice a month. I really want to know how their bread is only 5 net carbs. I am sure its not the sourdough toast that I love so much.

some times you just have to trust your judgement and not the menu!




My Daughter and my money are headed to SLU!
My sister is an alumni from SLU... go lions!

Trigger828 09-09-2013 01:28 PM

LOL this is funny. do you want the hash browns after saying you are low carb and explaining no bread etc.

I just got something like this the other day eating out. I ordered prime rib and it had baked tater, mashed or steamed veg and texas toast. I said just prime rib and steamed veg ONLY. I don't eat carbs and sure don't want the bread. She said ok, no problem, I won't have them butter your texas toast, ok? HUH? What? That didn't help me HAHA
I said just bring it and hubby ate it. No use explaining any more.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:54 AM.