Old 03-05-2013, 01:59 PM   #61
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: synger
Stats: Start: 310 Current: 259
WOE: Calorie and carb counting, IR Diet framework
Start Date: IR/PCOS: Dx pre-diabetic 3/2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkeeterN View Post
All hamburgers in a bowl I think are boring. But I love cracker Barrels low carb roast beef dinner
I also love their green beans and their greens with ham (and vinegar!)
synger is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2013, 02:23 PM   #62
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sunshine 57
Stats: 325/290/200
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: ongoing
I like Arby's.You can get roast beef or turkey w/o bun.They have fresh peppers,onions,pickles,more, that you can add for side.The only thing I don't trust is the sauces,sure BBQ sauce and horseradish have corn syrup in them.I can tell when I eat processed meats,theirs never gives me probs or raises BS,as I am diabetic.I look forward to our travel trips on road,so I can get Arby's!
Sunshine 57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 02:51 PM   #63
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SkeeterN
Stats: 4'10 and 170/115 (5 or so pounds up or down)
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by synger View Post
I also love their green beans and their greens with ham (and vinegar!)
I agree!!! Still cannot wrap my head around why brown rice is a vegetable on their vegetable of the day
SkeeterN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 03:15 PM   #64
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Gretalyn
Stats: maintenance
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: off and on since 2004, on to stay since March 2011
I don't have any problem at Chinese places (egg foo yung without the sauce) or Japanese places (I love sashimi!), but if anyone could give me suggestions of what to order at a Vietnamese restaurant, I'd be grateful!
Gretalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:14 PM   #65
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: picklepete
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretalyn View Post
if anyone could give me suggestions of what to order at a Vietnamese restaurant, I'd be grateful!
I get a holy basil soup with beef and peppers. I say "no noodles" and never had a problem. Granted it's not a ton of food at that point so I usually scan the appetizers for lettuce wraps too.
picklepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:42 PM   #66
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Gretalyn
Stats: maintenance
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: off and on since 2004, on to stay since March 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by picklepete View Post
I get a holy basil soup with beef and peppers. I say "no noodles" and never had a problem. Granted it's not a ton of food at that point so I usually scan the appetizers for lettuce wraps too.
Sounds delish! Thank you very much!
Gretalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:04 AM   #67
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: August Moon
WOE: moderate carbs
In any city or town there is a mom & pop Greek place. I love any Greek/ Mediterranean place because I can just omit rice & pitas. Believe me when I tell you I could be happy as a clam with Greek style grilled chicken on Greek salad with feta cheese, kalmata olives and that luscious lemony Greek dressing. If I want something like a pita, I will bring in a LC tortilla/flatbread. There is one place where I go to order beautiful hunks of just grilled chicken if I don't want the whole salad. Mmm, mmm.
August Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:49 AM   #68
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: unna
Stats: 230/155-160/tone
WOE: Primal LCHF
Start Date: January 2012
If I were in America right now, I'd definitely be eating off the new "hidden" menu at Panera Bread Co! Those salads look magnificent!
unna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:41 AM   #69
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LadyN
Stats: 299/232/130
WOE: Atkins 72/IF/dairy free
Start Date: 08/20/2012 Restart
I almost always find something I can eat or pick at if necessary, but sometimes it is very hard! I ate with friends at an Italian restaurant one time, and asked for salad instead of pasta, and they would not sub. So I ordered the grilled chicken salad. First off, they did not bring EVOO and vinegar, but some clear oil that I just could not eat. Well, their "chicken" was as thin as paper and hard as a rock! I picked at it, and let the manager know I would not be back by phone the next day. Hopefully they will accommodate in the future.

Cracker Barrel, Texas Roadhouse, Golden Corral (they often have steak cooked to order on the buffet!!) Mexican is easy. I get fajitas sans tortillas. I try to avoid chains like McDonalds, Bking etc, but in a pinch I get hamburgers and a salad instead of fries. Even those chains allow substitutions! So call ahead and find out if a restaurant will make substitutions. Check out the menu online if you can, and plan accordingly. There are situations where I don't know, but hunger is not an emergency. I am not above picking in order to not make a scene.
I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me Phil 4:13

Mini Goal: 250 met in May
Mini Goal: 200
Mini goal #2: For my current wardrobe to be too big (26-28) May hit size 22-24!
Next Goal: size 16-18 by BDAY in March
Walk 3 days a week
LadyN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:27 AM   #70
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tttmom
Stats: 167/140
Just went to Red Lobster last night for the first time. We tell them we are gluten free (we are, but also the sauces are where the carbs and gluten is hidden), and the manager was very nice about making suggestions. All you really have to do is order grilled meats, steamed veggies, and tell them no sauces of any kind. It was delicious. Texas Roadhouse is good too, you can get a good steak there with veggies for cheap. For fast food we like In N Out Burger (just order protein style).
tttmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:26 PM   #71
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Strawberry
I love any salad bar place = Sweet Tomatoes (aka Soup Plantation depending on your part of the country), Souper Salad, Jasons Deli. I also find buffets like Ryans, Golden Corral, Old Country Buffet, etc are really great for low carbers.

Brazilian Rodizios - Texas de Brazil, Porcao, Fogo de Chao, Grimpas (I'm sure there are others!) They are always expensive, but all you can eat MEAT with a sumptuous salad bar is like Atkins diet on steroids!
Strawberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 05:27 PM   #72
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: enna1477
Stats: 255/145/160
WOE: Self designed LC
Start Date: November 2010
I do an occasional run through a Chinese Buffet. I just avoid the rice, noodles and usual suspects like General Tso's or anything that is battered or in a sugary sauce. There is always broccoli beef, pork and onions, chicken and mushrooms, salt and pepper shrimp, etc. It's undoubtedly higher carb than I normally eat but as an occasional treat, well chosen Chinese hasn't impacted me.
enna1477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 07:14 PM   #73
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mainemom
Stats: 147/129/115 5' 1"
WOE: LC; Intermittent Fasting; Wheat Free
Start Date: January 2011
I'm a fan of Ruby Tuesdays - several items are low carb and they have several great veggies as a side dish, even mashed cauli and grilled zucchini, asparagus and green beans, plus a decent salad bar. When I first said, "no potato," the server offered, "would you like an additional veggie?" VERY accommodating there.
mainemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 07:52 PM   #74
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: pentimenti
Stats: 290/256/176 (primary goal glucose control)
WOE: LC/my own thing
Start Date: September 2012
Was pleasantly surprised at a local Italian eatery when they took my no-pasta order in stride and offered the sauce over zucchini strips instead. I hope that catches on more.

I think I've had practically every shade of cobb salad around. So much I had to give myself a break, but now I think I'm up for another round or two. I even made one at home the other day!
pentimenti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:57 PM   #75
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: picklepete
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
I also find buffets like Ryans, Golden Corral, Old Country Buffet, etc are really great for low carbers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by enna1477 View Post
It's undoubtedly higher carb than I normally eat but as an occasional treat, well chosen Chinese hasn't impacted me.
Ditto to both of these. If done infrequently, it's really nice to feast on meat and veggie with no cooking and no awkward battling with a server.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentimenti View Post
Was pleasantly surprised at a local Italian eatery when they took my no-pasta order in stride and offered the sauce over zucchini strips instead.
Cool! My friends love Italian and I often resign myself to an antipasto salad, wishing I had a decent vehicle for their sauces.
picklepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 04:56 AM   #76
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: abitobeef
Bbq of all sorts dry roasted no sauce cornbread, fries.
abitobeef is offline   Reply With Quote