Old 07-18-2010, 12:56 PM   #31
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kat819
Stats: 263/227/163 5'9"
WOE: PaNu/very low carb
Start Date: 1st time 9/2003, third time's the charm 5/13/2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
I have been afraid to to to Chinese food restaurants because, 1. I love it so much and 2. I can't imagine what I would order....anyone?
Moo goo gai pan, no rice, no soup, no eggroll.

The white garlic sauce probably has a little corn starch in it, but you can scrape a lot of it off. It's chicken, broccoli, snowpeas and water chestnuts.

OTOH, it is very bland. If you don't like bland, don't bother.

Most brown sauces that are on chinese food seem to have brown sugar in them.
kat819 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-2010, 12:59 PM   #32
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Thanks for all the advice on Chinese restaurants. My problem is that I love dim sum. Best for me to avoid at this point but maybe later!
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 01:11 PM   #33
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tulipsandroses
Stats: 206/160/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 2010
I've been wondering about that white garlic sauce. I know it has sugar in it but I'm wondering how different it would be without the sugar - Even before LC I used to get most things in white sauce instead of brown sauce. It was always less sweet and more garlicky.
tulipsandroses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 01:16 PM   #34
Tyl
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Tyl
Stats: Working on it!
WOE: LC
Start Date: Sept 2008/Again Dec. 30, 2013
i eat anywhere but chinese without issue.
Tyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 04:10 PM   #35
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: mmorris
Stats: 268/128-Goal Weight Finally!! (-140 pounds gone)
WOE: Atkins All the WAY!!
Start Date: August 2002
Almost any restaurant is low carb friendly
mmorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 05:41 PM   #36
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: PalmTreeGal
Stats: 181/123/115 @ 5'2
WOE: LC eclectic
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarFreeSheila View Post
You can follow Atkins at any restaurant. In the now-9 years I've been on Atkins, I've never once had a mishap with my food. Simply communicate with your server about what you will not have on your entrées and substitute sides accordingly.
Sheila, I thought you once had an issue with breaded onion rings in/on your bunless burger?
PalmTreeGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 05:47 PM   #37

Gallery: wifey
Stats: goal is size 10
My favorites are:
Outback Steakhouse ( wings, salad, steak, shrimp, crab legs, broccoli )
Red Lobster ( Lobster, crab legs, shrimp scampi, salad, broccoli )
Original Roadhouse ( giant salads with steak, Grilled Shrimp, Salmon )
Mongolian BBQ ( all you can eat meats, seafoods and veggies remember no sauce, noodles, rice )
Diners that serve Chef and Cobb salads with full fat dressing are good too. I'm not a big fan of bun less burgers so I shy away from those.
wifey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 07:41 PM   #38
I'm here to help!

Gallery: SugarFreeSheila
Stats: 141 to 110
Start Date: 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmTreeGal View Post
Sheila, I thought you once had an issue with breaded onion rings in/on your bunless burger?
Mandy, that was Carl's, Jr. 5 years ago - and once any surprise unwanted matter is discovered in my food, I make the choice not to eat it. Pretty random addition for a burger marketed as low-carb if you ask me. Here's the thread in question.
SugarFreeSheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 12:26 PM   #39
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: livinlarge
WOE: whatever works
some of my favs"

Ruby Tuesday - portabella turkey burger and an awesome salad bar!!
Red Lobster (actually any good seafood restaurant)
Buffalo Wild Wings
Our local mexican restaraunt "Lorena's" has the best fajitas (sans tortilla)
Texas Roadhouse
We also have a local italian place "Avantis" that has a killer baked cod w/steamed veggie dish
livinlarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 12:30 PM   #40

Gallery: flatferenghi
any restaurant that will not accommodate my needs...

does not need my business. Love & Profits: FLATFERENGHI
flatferenghi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 01:30 PM   #41

Gallery: yvonne326
Stats: 197/193/160
WOE: Low Carb & Exercise
Start Date: 5/28/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by tymom View Post
Any restaurant. Literally. Its just up to you to order correctly!
Exactly! I personally love to go to steak houses because I love getting a nice juicy steak with veggies and/or a great salad. I think the only "hard" restaurant in my opinion, for me anyway, is Italian. Mexican I just order Frajitas without the tortillas and stay away from rice.
yvonne326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 05:18 AM   #42

were I to own a restaurant...

i would put in my menus, that we will be happy to accommodate anyone's dietary needs. I would keep a source of low carb items for those of my customers who prefer them. For example, I would have a low carb ice cream of the week, low carb bread and low carb cheesecake. I would keep low carb ketchup available. also, fries and latkes made from zucchini, jicama, celeriac etc. And, i would, of course, accommodate everyone else's dietary needs upon request. By putting LOW CARB FRIENDLY up front, it might scare patrons away thinking it is some sort of freaky health food establishment. I am in business to make money. Of course, as the boss, i would not have to do any actual work. i would do what FERENGHI do best: EXPLOIT!!! Love & Profits: FLATFERENGHI
Old 07-21-2010, 05:30 AM   #43
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
And if you ever own that restaurant, I would be one of you very best customers! (despite the 1000 or 2 miles)
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 07:19 AM   #44
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: livinlarge
WOE: whatever works
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatferenghi View Post
i would put in my menus, that we will be happy to accommodate anyone's dietary needs. I would keep a source of low carb items for those of my customers who prefer them. For example, I would have a low carb ice cream of the week, low carb bread and low carb cheesecake. I would keep low carb ketchup available. also, fries and latkes made from zucchini, jicama, celeriac etc. And, i would, of course, accommodate everyone else's dietary needs upon request. By putting LOW CARB FRIENDLY up front, it might scare patrons away thinking it is some sort of freaky health food establishment. I am in business to make money. Of course, as the boss, i would not have to do any actual work. i would do what FERENGHI do best: EXPLOIT!!! Love & Profits: FLATFERENGHI
I'm on my way Flat!!!
livinlarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 10:22 AM   #45

so encouraged by your support.

would u like to peruse the menu, or do u know what u want? Moist towelettes will be brought to your table. Allow me to tell you all about today's special. FF
Old 07-21-2010, 11:20 AM   #46
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Shimmer
Stats: 245/229/140...22/16/12
Start Date: 10/1/01
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclovin View Post
Anyway i'm new to the site and was wondering if anyone could recommend any Atkins friendly restaurants.

Just really wondering if anyone had a good list low carb restaurants.
  • Cracker Barrel has a low-carb menu
  • Jimmy John's offers the unwich, a sub wrapped in lettuce leaves instead of on a bun
  • Hardee's has Low Carb Thickburgers

As stated upthread, you can practically order anything low carb at almost any restaurant...but it's nice to just order and not have to make requests (no bun, extra salad instead of potato, etc.).
Shimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 12:57 PM   #47
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: TigerlilyCA
WOE: Primal-esque
I would think that most restaurants would have something someone doing low-carb could eat. I would avoid any asian though. Sugar is usually added in some form or another.
But american, French, Italian (it's more than just pasta!), Spanish, Moroccan, Cuban, Greek, just about anything really.

I know steak houses are a fave, but personally, I would check out some French places. Roast/baked/grilled meats and fish with rich sauces and usually served with vegetables.
TigerlilyCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 04:37 PM   #48
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: onestepcloser
WOE: LC/Primal
Almost any restaurant with steak, burgers (bunless), non-breaded chicken wings, chicken, salads, etc. One thing I love about eating low carb is that I can easily be social and eat out without having to stick to plain grilled chicken and a salad with light/no dressing!
onestepcloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:40 AM   #49
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilbur View Post
I've found that ANY restaurant can be made low carb, with the exception of some asian places and my least favorite place on earth, Noodles and Company!!
Noodles and Company had an outlet that was one of the few restaurants within easy walking distance of my workplace. Even there, I've managed to eat lowcarb by ordering the large Mediterranean Salad.

Jimmy John's unwiches (sandwich fillings wrapped in lettuce leaf) are another good option. But consider buying 2 if you are hungry; they aren't a lot of food or calories with that big hunk of bread removed.
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:09 AM   #50
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: thecloude1
Stats: 325/261/150
Start Date: February 4, 2013
I would think most Steakhouses would be good...We ate at Lone Star steakhouse last week and it was AMAZING!
thecloude1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:33 AM   #51
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: rosewoodb
Stats: Original 192 weight Restart 165/156.5/140
WOE: EFGT
Start Date: Original March 2010 Restart: February 18, 2013
Japanese is a good form on Asian that one can get LC foods. Yesterday I had sashimi (4 different types of fish), edemame, and salad (watch the dressing, though). If you are going Chinese egg drop or hot and sour soup, and steamed meat/veg (no sauce or savory sauce on the side and then you have to let your taste buds guide you).

Agree with most other posters that restaurants are usually flexible. Just speak up! And yes, chains are the worst as the food is the most processed.

BJ
rosewoodb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 12:24 PM   #52
A&F
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: A&F
Stats: 185/138.4/120
Start Date: 7/12/11
I agree with everyone here, you can make almost every restaurant low carb friendly. In the beginning when we were trying to decide where to eat, my boyfriend would constantly be asking "can you eat there." My response was always that we should focus on where we wanted to eat, that I could always find something to eat on the menu (exceptions being noodle heavy restaurants).
A&F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 01:22 PM   #53
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Just Russ
Stats: Restart 7.2.14 * 249#
WOE: Atkins 72, controlled portions
Start Date: Original start 2000, 252/168
Except for Pizza joints & Chineese, I could eat most places. even Pizza places are devoluping alternatives. I would check out the menu on line in advance, if possible. I do miss these 2 types of places.
Just Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 04:19 PM   #54
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: trishthedish
Stats: 26/20-22/12
WOE: LC
Start Date: One day at a time
I have been out to eat while following the Atkins nutritional approach and done just fine: breakfast diner, a gastro pub, burger joint, steak house, deli, Mexican, organic restaurant, fast food, etc. As long as you are knowledgable about your nutritional needs and communicate them to you server, you are good to go!
trishthedish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:58 PM   #55
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Strawberry
I even find many Chinese places doable... Many have large buffets that include salad fixings, plain stir fried veggies, often there is seafood like shrimp, crab legs, or steamed or baked fish. I get the broth of won ton soup.

Many have hibachi grills, where you pick your own meats and veggies and they stir fry them for you (Ghenghis Grill is great!) and you can leave off the sauce and just add soy sauce.

I have been to all you can eat sushi places and picked out the insides of sushi, leaving the rice! Sashimi is low carb.

You basically just have to have the discipline to not go for the yummy looking fried foods with sugar sauces and stick to your diet.
Strawberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:06 PM   #56

Gallery: SkeeterN
Stats: 4'10 and 170/115 (5 or so pounds up or down)
Start Date: April 2004
The Bad news
Bob Evans, creamer is not real cream but the powdered stuff mixed with water. I cannot do the corn syrups in powdered creamer so I always ask for half and half.

Taco Bells, ground beef: is powdered mixed with water to reconstitute it. Plus there is only 36% beef in the entire mix. Here is the ingredients: Beef, water, isolated oat product, salt, chili pepper, onion powder, tomato powder, oats (wheat), soy lecithin, sugar, spices, maltodextrin (a polysaccharide that is absorbed as glucose), soybean oil (anti-dusting agent), garlic powder, autolyzed yeast extract, citric acid, caramel color, cocoa powder, silicon dioxide (anti-caking agent), natural flavors, yeast, modified corn starch, natural smoke flavor, salt, sodium phosphate, less than 2% of beef broth, potassium phosphate, and potassium lactate. Even the The USDA says that any food labeled as "meat taco filling" should at least have 40% fresh meat.

We do not have an Ihop but their omelets contain pancake batter and diabetics need to be aware of the extra carbs they are consuming.

But the Good News
Applebee's original wings is low carb and so are the sauces and blue cheese
Cracker barrel is always a good choice

Any restaurant can be if you choose the right dishes
Anita's Web Page
SkeeterN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 02:06 PM   #57
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
Chinese restuarants are hard, because there's almost always sugar added. My family loves egg rolls, and the wrappers alone have 9 gm of carbs! I usually "cheat" and eat half of one anyway. I order crispy duck. It has 5 spice powder that probably has some sugar in it, but otherwise OK. Some places will give you plain, steamed veggies and chicken with no sauce if you ask.

Another tough place is a vegetarian restaurant--many dishes are grain based. I would have been OK, but the dishes that were not grain based on the night we went were loaded with chiles, one thing I really dislike. Otherwise, I would have been able to find things to eat.

But I do fine at almost every other restuarant, nowadays. Everyone is sensitive to people who need gluten free--that choice isn't always low carb, but sometimes you luck out.
Janknitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:46 PM   #58
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: picklepete
IMO if your only restaurant exposure is when you're dragged there socially/infrequently, just look for a common sense choice and enjoy. Stress hormones are way more fattening than a sneaky teaspoon of corn starch.
picklepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:59 PM   #59
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kitnmom
Stats: 235/198/160ish again
WOE: Atkins, Love that man!
Start Date: September 15, 2003
Wich-wich does a sub in a bowl, i think cracker barrells low carb burger and salad are BORING! naked plate burger patty, lettuce, tomato pickle lettuce and a piece of tomato salad. BLAH so boring, there are better options that are regular but fixable.
kitnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:40 AM   #60

Gallery: SkeeterN
Stats: 4'10 and 170/115 (5 or so pounds up or down)
Start Date: April 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitnmom View Post
Wich-wich does a sub in a bowl, i think cracker barrells low carb burger and salad are BORING! naked plate burger patty, lettuce, tomato pickle lettuce and a piece of tomato salad. BLAH so boring, there are better options that are regular but fixable.
All hamburgers in a bowl I think are boring. But I love cracker Barrels low carb roast beef dinner
SkeeterN is offline   Reply With Quote