Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2010, 10:45 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: moonmirror
Stats: 204/199.2/140
Start Date: 5/21/14
state fair, fun; but nothing to eat

Strolled along hundreds of vendors and found nothing to eat but a smoked turkey leg, which was too salty; so I could only have a few bites.

Drank 2 small miller lites, which was fun for an hour, then felt unpleasant on my empty stomach. So I just refilled my water bottle all day.

So when we got home NINE HOURS LATER, ravenous, I announced "I am making eggs and sausage" and we had breakfast for dinner with sour cream, salsa, avocado slices, organic farm eggs, sausage, and a small wedge of cantaloupe. You can imagine what that tasted like after not eating all day.

Sad that it takes coming home...almost always...to get a decent meal.

State fair = !!!!! Food-wise, anyway.

It was a cool fair otherwise.

Last edited by moonmirror; 07-17-2010 at 10:46 AM..
moonmirror is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-2010, 10:49 AM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: TaDa!
Stats: 236.5 /132.5/ 128-133 @5'3"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance (Vegetarian + Fish)
Start Date: 6/03 & Goal! 5/06
I find that a lot of various places -- especially since I do not eat meat, and even some places would not have a high carb vegetarian meal for me ... so I always plan ahead just in case, and if I am pleasantly surprised and find something I actually would want to eat that is lc, I ditch the home-brought stuff.

it does suck tho!!!!!! Your meal after sounds pretty awesome though!!! Good good job!!! You rocked it!!!

Pauline
TaDa! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 11:16 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks TaDa

Yes it was definitely an amazing post-fair meal...at 9 pm!!!

It just kind of sucks sometimes how LC-unfriendly this world is.

Thank goodness I'd shopped the day before for food.

I don't know what I would have brought: warmed over lc food is not usually very tasty. I actually had considered bringing almonds, and when I got there I sure wished I'd them.
Old 07-17-2010, 11:21 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: vastamper
Stats: sw145/cw128/begin pre maint 125
WOE: Atkins/Modifying it 5/2014
Start Date: April 2001, April 2010
You did GREAT!!

Too bad about the lack of good food. I've started carrying almonds with me when I go places that I know won't have anything, like the movies.
vastamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 11:31 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LuvMy2Stinkers
Stats: 158/130/125 5'2
WOE: Atkins/LC
Start Date: May 2010
I'll be going to the OC Fair one of these days. I plan on having a big filling breakfast before I go and then trying to stay on plan the most I can. Maybe just a giant turkey leg or wings! I will be splurging on beer though No deep fried Oreos for me!!!

Edited to say that you did an awesome job!!! You should feel very proud!!

Last edited by LuvMy2Stinkers; 07-17-2010 at 11:32 AM..
LuvMy2Stinkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 11:44 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: snooks86
Stats: 6 ft, Past 270/Present 230/Goal 175 lbs
WOE: Atkins Induction
i'm sorry, but when i go to fairs and carnivals, i could care less about a low carb diet. last year, i ate curly cheese fries, ice cream, alligator sausage, icee, kettle corn, and a tri tip sandwich.
snooks86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 11:50 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Prairieprof
Stats: 145/117/120 5'4" 10-12 to 4, 18% BF
WOE: Primal Blueprint
Start Date: 8/2007
Too bad you're not in Iowa. We have things like pork chops on a stick. Or surely you could have had a hamburger or some other meat sandwich without the bun?
Prairieprof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 12:13 PM   #8

Gallery: TaDa!
Stats: 236.5 /132.5/ 128-133 @5'3"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance (Vegetarian + Fish)
Start Date: 6/03 & Goal! 5/06
Quote:
Originally Posted by snooks86 View Post
i'm sorry, but when i go to fairs and carnivals, i could care less about a low carb diet. last year, i ate curly cheese fries, ice cream, alligator sausage, icee, kettle corn, and a tri tip sandwich.
That's great that you can do that and keep your weight at a happy place. Myself, I feel ok with maybe a single bad treat sometimes, but not an "all-the-way" type thing ... that kind of splurge is too reminiscent of the girl who was morbidly obese her whole life. Eating lighter is just the way the new lively springy me celebrates her new self even at special events ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonmirror View Post
Thanks TaDa

Yes it was definitely an amazing post-fair meal...at 9 pm!!!

It just kind of sucks sometimes how LC-unfriendly this world is.

Thank goodness I'd shopped the day before for food.

I don't know what I would have brought: warmed over lc food is not usually very tasty. I actually had considered bringing almonds, and when I got there I sure wished I'd them.
So true about the warmed over food ... I try to make my life be not about the food anymore, so it does not really bother me. It does bother me to be hungry though!! You know one other thing I do a LOT -- and this would totally totally work for meateaters at a place like a fair -- because you can pretty much always get some sort of meaty cheesy sandwich -- and that is, I will carry a lowcarb pita in my purse which is cut into halves and basically just pour the filling into a half pita. I do that at sub/pizza places whenever we go to one of them.

As far as a fair/carnival, you are not going to get your veggies, lol! but hey a lower carb day with that and some almonds or pork rinds or an emergency Atkins bar would be ok too ... ya know! That is just the kind of place I would say, hey! I'll let myself have an sf ice cream, etc and blow a few carbs that way, but not go crazy. I think it;'s amazing you were able to hold on to 9 pm ... I would have had the red danger sign flashing over my head, lol!

Stats: 47 Years Old & 5'3" tall
Weight: 236.5 (43 bmi) / 132.5 / 128-133 (size 4/6 .. 23 bmi)

*Weekly Weigh-In 7/10/12

My Journal
Year One Weightloss and Chart
My Weightloss Story
TaDa! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 12:22 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: little3chordme
Stats: 268/155 5'7.5"
Start Date: October 15, 2008
i'm so glad i live in wisconsin! there are tons of lc treats at the wi state fair... but also many carb laden fried things to avoid as well. come to our fair next time

fantastic job avoiding the bad stuff!! it takes a lot of will power to ignore the smells of delicious fair food.
little3chordme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 01:25 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Yeah, I know what you mean about the sandwiches; but I get really disappointed when I open a sandwich or a taco and just eat three bites of what's in the middle; for freaking nine dollars. I just didn't think it was worth it, really.

I avoid grains so I don't really go the lc tortilla route.

I really have to pack things; like sandwich fillings, washed and trimmed romaine leaves, nuts, cheese.

But when its tough to haul your food around, sometimes I guess you just go without eating and look forward to a good meal at home; because the rest of the world is too freaking idiotic to realize they need to cut carbs and offer us smart folks a decent meal.
Old 07-17-2010, 01:43 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: PaganCub
Stats: 339/317/240
WOE: Clean-Low-Carb
You'd think they would have one kabob stand. Would fit right into the place and would be perfect for us.
PaganCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 01:45 PM   #12

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
I remember one year when my only choice at some event was two corn dogs, and I just picked the cornbread wrap off and ate the hotdog part. Still probably not pure meat dogs, but that was basically my only choice there. I'm not too much anymore for the typical high carb fair foods. If I'm going to go off low carb that much, it's going to be a splurge for something really FABULOUS, not crappy food-stand stuff. LOL
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 02:05 PM   #13
Tyl

Gallery: Tyl
Stats: Working on it!
WOE: LC
Start Date: Sept 2008/Again Dec. 30, 2013
that sucks!

i am really excited about about our state fair. I always get wings, turkey legs, sausage on stick, chicken kabobs, steak on a stick! yum!

of course what i really want is the funnel cake, but i always have options!
Tyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 07:57 PM   #14
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: verbqueen
Stats: 224/163
WOE: LC/HF, for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMy2Stinkers View Post
I'll be going to the OC Fair one of these days. I plan on having a big filling breakfast before I go and then trying to stay on plan the most I can. Maybe just a giant turkey leg or wings! I will be splurging on beer though No deep fried Oreos for me!!!

Edited to say that you did an awesome job!!! You should feel very proud!!
I found several things I could eat at the OC Fair last year! They had a fajitas stand that had chicken fajitas, cooked right on a grill in front of you with peppers and onions. Quite yummy! Also, lots of fried chicken stands, and you can just peel the crust right off and enjoy the chicken. They had stands with sausages with onions and peppers, too. You should do fine there.

(I love the OC Fair!)
verbqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 08:28 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ItsMyJourney
I went to the Ca State Fair (sacramento) and ate Tri Tip. They had a nice grilled Okra dish that I had on the side. and LOTS of water because it was HOT.

I splurged on a taste of my BF's roasted corn though. :-)

I hardly ever splurge--and it was the fair---plus I got lots of exercise walking around. All in all---not too bad because I got right back on my diet immediately. I feel like I did pretty good---I didn't eat the chocolate covered bacon or the deep fried oreos/twinkies :-)

Last edited by ItsMyJourney; 07-17-2010 at 08:33 PM..
ItsMyJourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 11:20 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LuvMy2Stinkers
Stats: 158/130/125 5'2
WOE: Atkins/LC
Start Date: May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by verbqueen View Post
I found several things I could eat at the OC Fair last year! They had a fajitas stand that had chicken fajitas, cooked right on a grill in front of you with peppers and onions. Quite yummy! Also, lots of fried chicken stands, and you can just peel the crust right off and enjoy the chicken. They had stands with sausages with onions and peppers, too. You should do fine there.

(I love the OC Fair!)
Thanks, I love fajitas so I'll definitely keep an eye out for a fajita stand. Also my son loves fried chicken, especially the crunchy skin so maybe he can have at it with my pieces and I'll have all the meat to myself
LuvMy2Stinkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 12:05 AM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: RhondasComputer
Stats: First time 170/136/145 This time! 160/145 5'8"
WOE: LC mostly.
Start Date: June 1, 2003 reind: lots!
Quote:
Strolled along hundreds of vendors and found nothing to eat but a smoked turkey leg, which was too salty; so I could only have a few bites.

Drank 2 small miller lites, which was fun for an hour, then felt unpleasant on my empty stomach. So I just refilled my water bottle all day.

So when we got home NINE HOURS LATER, ravenous, I announced "I am making eggs and sausage" and we had breakfast for dinner with sour cream, salsa, avocado slices, organic farm eggs, sausage, and a small wedge of cantaloupe. You can imagine what that tasted like after not eating all day.

We normally go at night, and I eat before we go. The husband loves fair food, so he eats all kinds of stuff. I heard the food was supposed to be cheaper this year too. Even the times I didn't LC and went, all I ate was corn and turkey legs. I can't take all that oil. Plus we end up walking all night.
RhondasComputer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 04:09 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: myluvbugg
Stats: 359.4/313.5/200
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: 12/13/10 (starting again, and again), 11/2/11 agai
Quote:

Know how you feel. I keep kosher, so basically can't eat much that is lowcarb out in the real world so I ALWAYS bring food with me. But I am so impressed you didn't eat all day!!! Not sure I could do that.
myluvbugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 04:11 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: WendyK1974
WOE: low carb
that's too bad...you done good though!
WendyK1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 04:33 PM   #20

Gallery: Jennyl
Start Date: manana
I sometimes take my own homemade beef jerky when I'm not sure what my options will be in a public situation. It has saved me many times. It's great you were able to stay on plan....not sure I could have done that if I was that hungry.
Jennyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 05:37 PM   #21
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: stardustshadow
Stats: 248.6/163/150
WOE: VLC/IF
Start Date: July 5th 2010 (Atkins)
Quote:
Originally Posted by little3chordme View Post
i'm so glad i live in wisconsin! there are tons of lc treats at the wi state fair... but also many carb laden fried things to avoid as well. come to our fair next time

fantastic job avoiding the bad stuff!! it takes a lot of will power to ignore the smells of delicious fair food.
Yeah WISCONSIN CHEESE!!

I grew up in WI and I will always miss the cheese!!

Especially the deep friend cheese curds that you get at the fair...MMMMM!!!

Anyhow, I had the same problem the other day at a huge flea market/fair. There were tons of vendors, but few low carb options...all churros, ice cream, candy, slush ice, variations on deep fried flour etc.

I finally found what I needed: An organic, no additives (no wheat, eggs, dairy, potatoes, etc etc) smoked sausage stand!
I bought one (a handheld size, beef) and my friends who had eaten the churros topped with cinnamon sugar were actually jealous!

I got venison sausage to take home from the same vendor. The stuff is amazing...totally carb free! And delicious....keeps for 3 months, too.

They are locally made, so not widely available (though they do mail order in Denmark)...so glad I found them!
stardustshadow is offline   Reply With Quote