Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2010, 10:46 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: toogood
Sour cream vs. Greek yogurt

Hi all,
I really need some veteran low carbers advice here. My 13 year old who loves Greek yogurt commented on how sour cream tastes just like Greek yogurt. We added some sweetner, flaxseed meal, and berries and it really does! I would like us to eat that instead because it is so much cheaper! My 13 year old is also under weight so I'm thinking the extra fat would be great. I am back on induction and would like to do this also. What are your thoughts on this?
toogood is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-2010, 10:50 AM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: pocahontas
Im no help because I think they taste completely different. I would think that with sour cream you wouldnt be getting the same health benefit as with yogurt. Yogurt has live cultures and probiotics that do a body good.
pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 10:57 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mizski
Stats: 312/149/150
WOE: Primal Atkins
I would go with the Greek yogurt. It is more of a food where sour cream is really a condiment. For example, a serving of full fat FAGE Greek yogurt is really a meal if you look at the calories, fat, carbs and protein. Adding flaxmeal and berries would add fiber and additional nutrients. It also contains the active cultures which are very healthy and beneficial.

It is more pricey than sour cream. I've noticed a lot of threads on here about making yogurt at home (you would then strain it to make Greek yogurt). Maybe that might be an option to explore?
Old 07-14-2010, 11:10 AM   #4

Gallery: flatferenghi
being a Ferenghi, u know where my sympathies lie.

i use sour cream because it is cheaper. i put my flax seeds on a Tblspn of sour cream and down the hatch (full fat sour cream of course). yoghurt and sour cream both originate from a creature. ergo, they are real foods. I love the greek yoghurt too. I had it when i was in Greece. It was so fresh that it was still inside the goat that very morning. So, if finance is a problem, go with the sour cream. I do. Love & Profits: FLATFERENGHI
flatferenghi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 11:10 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ljguitar
Stats: 350++/under 240/wherever 30 net carbs a day leads
WOE: 30 net carbs a day or less...unclean eating
Start Date: August 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by toogood View Post
Hi all,
I really need some veteran low carbers advice here. My 13 year old who loves Greek yogurt commented on how sour cream tastes just like Greek yogurt. We added some sweetner, flaxseed meal, and berries and it really does! I would like us to eat that instead because it is so much cheaper! My 13 year old is also under weight so I'm thinking the extra fat would be great. I am back on induction and would like to do this also. What are your thoughts on this?
Hi tg…
This is easy for me - I build our yogurt a gallon at a time from 1/2 heavy cream-1/2 whole milk and it is as thick as sour cream and about $2.50 quart ($9.50 worth of ingredients for 4 quarts plus one cup). Tastes better to me, is thick like FAGE.

Takes 20 minutes start to finish to put it in incubation in the jars it will be stored in, and 12 hours later it's ready to refrigerate.

How to build your own Yogurt Pictorial - CLICK

…The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese…
ljguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 11:18 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: HerBoudoir
Stats: going...going...about halfway gone
WOE: Atkins on 95% whole foods
Go with yogurt for the good bacteria.
HerBoudoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 11:40 AM   #7

Gallery: Karerose
Start Date: late 2003
What is FAGE?
Karerose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 11:47 AM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ljguitar
Stats: 350++/under 240/wherever 30 net carbs a day leads
WOE: 30 net carbs a day or less...unclean eating
Start Date: August 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karerose View Post
What is FAGE?
Hi Karerose…
One of the better commercially made Greek Yogurts (strained to be thicker) and it is smooth and creamy

ljguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 11:58 AM   #9

Gallery: Karerose
Start Date: late 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi Karerose…
One of the better commercially made Greek Yogurts (strained to be thicker) and it is smooth and creamy

Thanks. I was trying to figure out the acronym.
Karerose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 03:11 PM   #10

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
I think it would be fine. Just count your carbs!
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 03:15 PM   #11
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Kiley2801
I suppose you could. 6 oz of sour cream has 364 cals and 35 grams of fat. Not sure what the Fage has??
Kiley2801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 04:33 PM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiley2801 View Post
I suppose you could. 6 oz of sour cream has 364 cals and 35 grams of fat. Not sure what the Fage has??
Not sure about Fage but my 2% Chobani (another brand of Greek yogurt) has 130 calories for 6 oz, 3.5 grams of fat and 7 carbs. I can't imagine that even the full fat Fage compares calorie-wise to sour cream.
Old 07-14-2010, 05:08 PM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Strawberry
Yogurt has calcium, vitamin D, protein, vitamin B12, riboflavin, pro-biotics... sour cream has none of that. I would definitely pay the extra money to get good nutrition for you and your child!
Strawberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 05:11 PM   #14
something there

Gallery: cleochatra
Stats: 364/233/125 5'5" [44]
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: August 31, 2012
Sour cream is ok on induction in seriously limited amounts, but fage is not.

So in lower levels, you want to stick with SC and in higher levels of carbs, I use greek yogurt since I keep it in the house more often.
cleochatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 05:14 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tymom
Stats: Big/ not so big/ small
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: August (this time around)
Fage: YUMMY
tymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 10:27 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: toogood
Thank you so much everyone for your expertise and advice. I think it is a great idea to make my own Greek yoghurt also! SInce I am on induction and trying to up the fat do you think this will work well?
toogood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 05:44 AM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

If you're making it larry-style with a lot of heavy cream, it will do that for you. You can also swirl in a tablespoon or two of heavy cream into store bought greek yogurt to up the fat, but keep in mind you're only allow a couple tablespoons of HWC a day.

Yogurt is an OWL food though, so as a source of added fat on Induction - not the best choice.

Add some extra butter/olive oil to your veggies, eat the skin on your roasted chicken; eat fattier cuts of meat. It's not difficult and you don't have to add much to get up the fat %.

http://herboudoir.blogspot.com

Engaged! August 22, 2009
Wedding! October 16, 2010

Last edited by HerBoudoir; 07-15-2010 at 05:46 AM..
Old 07-15-2010, 09:08 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Emily-D
Stats: obese/healthy weight
WOE: 1992 Atkins (no grains, no soy)
Start Date: 3/1/04, Restart 4/22/10
I haven't tried the Greek yogurt yet because it is rather high in carbs. Did it affect your weight loss?
Emily-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 09:29 AM   #19
GME

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 Trying again...223/199/146 5'7
WOE: JUDDD/LC/Gluten & Dairy Free
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
Greek yogurt is expensive. I have good results straining a big container of the plain, full fat yogurt from Costco. I can't remember the brand, but there is a cow on it.

I line a wire mesh strainer with a couple of paper towels, put the strainer over a bowl, dump in the yogurt and let it strain overnight in the fridge. Then I put it back in the container and mix it up however I like it.

I agree with the others that you may want to hold off for a while since you just started (if the 7/7/10 date is correct), but it would be a great food to keep around for your daughter. Put the fruit or whatever she likes in it and it is quick, easy and healthy for her. I love pecans in mine and they are full of calories and good nutrition for her.

//Mom with two teens at home for the summer who are always looking for quick and easy

7/27/14- Wharf to Wharf (6 miles)- I won! 9/14/14- Title 9K- I won! 11/9/14- Surfer's Path 10K- I won! 12/7/14- Jinglebell Rock 5K- I won!
2/7/15 - Together Love Run 5K, 3/22/15- She is Beautiful 10K, 4/12/15- Santa Cruz Half Marathon

*My definition of win: I didn't quit, didn't throw up, and they didn't close the course on me.
GME is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 09:42 AM   #20

Gallery: fawn
Quote:
Originally Posted by GME View Post
Greek yogurt is expensive. I have good results straining a big container of the plain, full fat yogurt from Costco. I can't remember the brand, but there is a cow on it.

I line a wire mesh strainer with a couple of paper towels, put the strainer over a bowl, dump in the yogurt and let it strain overnight in the fridge. Then I put it back in the container and mix it up however I like it.

I agree with the others that you may want to hold off for a while since you just started (if the 7/7/10 date is correct), but it would be a great food to keep around for your daughter. Put the fruit or whatever she likes in it and it is quick, easy and healthy for her. I love pecans in mine and they are full of calories and good nutrition for her.

//Mom with two teens at home for the summer who are always looking for quick and easy
This is the most practical. The by product whey, can be saved to make mayonnaise and fermented veggies. This adds beneficial enzymes too.
fawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 04:00 PM   #21
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: junkfoodmonkey
Stats: 213/193/140
WOE: Atkins - Induction
Start Date: Original Nov 2003 Current 17 Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily-D View Post
I haven't tried the Greek yogurt yet because it is rather high in carbs. Did it affect your weight loss?
If you hold off until the appropriate rung of the carb ladder, and portion control the amount then the carbs should be fine and shouldn't affect your loss unless your body just decides "nah, this stuff is gonna be a problem." Or you dive face first into a vat of it and eat your way out. Not that I'd know anything about that. Ahem.

Check the labels for different brands, as I've seen some where the carbs were twice as high as on other brands. Don't know how, there was nothing added and they were both full fat, but whatever! Always check!

Notes to self
  • You are not a special little snowflake.
  • When you mess up - forgive yourself, learn from it and move on.
junkfoodmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote