LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2010, 08:50 AM   #1
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: iakaren
Stats: 191/181/160
WOE: LC 11/06;CAD 11/11
Start Date: October 28, 2006
Club Soda better than diet Pop?

Does anyone have any opinions or experiences with drinking club soda versus diet drinks?

Yesterday I drank LOT of club soda, and even some salty foods during the day, and didn't see any negative side on the scale this morning.

Just curious as to up-sides (or down-sides) to club soda...
iakaren is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-2010, 09:27 AM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: daisyHair
Stats: 257/228/140
WOE: Medi Weightloss
Start Date: 5' 4" 50 Years Old
I used seltzer (many different brands out there) to finally get myself off diet cokes. I didn't want the sodium in soda water.. to me seltzer and soda water taste the same.

I like to add Watermelon SF Davinci to mine..
I was severely addicted to diet coke. Finally kicked the habit after trying for almost a year. Right now I have 4 different selters (from our local Publix) in my pantry.
I love them. Also good with fresh lime juice and mint leaves and a few drops of stevia.

IMO much better for you than diet soda, especially coke which leaches calcium from you bones.
Old 07-02-2010, 09:28 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: porcupine73
Stats: 208/152/150, male 5'9", 39 y/o
WOE: Cure Tooth Decay, no snacks,slow burn weights+HIIT
Start Date: January 2010
I would definitely give the thumbs up to club soda over diet sodas, since there is artificial sweeteners added to club soda. It's basically just carbonated water, possibly with a little salt added.
porcupine73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 09:58 AM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: KrisA
Stats: 160/120/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 2/21/08
I always opt for seltzer over club soda and either over real soda or soda sweetened with aspartame.

k
KrisA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 11:48 AM   #5

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
I think the terms seltzer and club soda are used pretty loosely. I guess literally the seltzer is made by dissolving carbon dioxide gas in water, while the club soda often/usually has ingredients that lend more sodium to it. Of course if you made seltzer from tapwater that used a water softener, it would be full of sodium. I think you have to check your labels if that's an issue.

The acid in carbonated beverages that people worry about happens both ways, so seltzer has it too. BUT

Quote:
"Almost all of the acidity of soda pop comes from the phosphoric acid and not from the carbonic acid from the dissolved CO2 ... The phosphoric acid is corrosive, but actually the acid concentration in soda pop is lower than that in orange juice or lemonade."
So I guess the issue is to look and see if your soda has added phosphoric acid. That's not a good thing, and especially not in caffeinated drinks, where it leads to calcium being leached out and excreted in the urine.
Old 07-02-2010, 12:50 PM   #6
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenrose View Post
I think the terms seltzer and club soda are used pretty loosely. I guess literally the seltzer is made by dissolving carbon dioxide gas in water, while the club soda often/usually has ingredients that lend more sodium to it. Of course if you made seltzer from tapwater that used a water softener, it would be full of sodium. I think you have to check your labels if that's an issue.

The acid in carbonated beverages that people worry about happens both ways, so seltzer has it too. BUT

So I guess the issue is to look and see if your soda has added phosphoric acid. That's not a good thing, and especially not in caffeinated drinks, where it leads to calcium being leached out and excreted in the urine.

One brand has potassium sulfate, and the other has potassium chloride.

I am not a chemist, so do not know if either one of these equates to phosphoric acid, in layman terms.

If someone knows, I would appreciate a heads-up on this one.
Old 07-02-2010, 03:40 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: suzabelle
Stats: 185/135/135 5'7"
WOE: My own version of LC
Start Date: 1/5/09
As some others have said club soda, soda water and seltzer are more or less the same thing...and since they have no sweetener are better than drinking diet soda if you are trying to lay off AS. Just be sure you aren't drinking tonic water....because THAT is another animal completely!!
suzabelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 03:42 PM   #8
LJB
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LJB
Stats: Size 8 at Present
WOE: Real food.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iakaren View Post
Does anyone have any opinions or experiences with drinking club soda versus diet drinks?

Yesterday I drank LOT of club soda, and even some salty foods during the day, and didn't see any negative side on the scale this morning.

Club soda = good

Diet soda = bad

Unsweetened ice tea? Excellent!
LJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 03:53 PM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ljguitar
Stats: 350++/under 240/wherever 30 net carbs a day leads
WOE: 30 net carbs a day or less...unclean eating
Start Date: August 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by iakaren View Post

Hi karenů
The upside of club soda for me is I get to flavor it but other than that I have zero hangups about using diet soda (either Splenda or Aspartame sweetened).

ljguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 04:59 PM   #10
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: baindegael
Stats: Highest 323-5'9" 230/182/150 BMI 27.08 Goal BMI 22
WOE: LC/LF, ditching processed crap
Start Date: 10/29/2003
:blush: I used to consume more than a gallon of diet coke a day. :blush::blush::blush:

I have been off the diet coke since April and I seltzer... and sparkling water (not the sweet one). My fave is Perrier Grapefruit. That being said, I drink a gallon (At least) of regular water everyday. The seltzer is a treat.
baindegael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 10:36 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: PianoAl
Stats: 165/155.5/155
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: June 2010
This is what I use:

It's very convenient. The CO2 cartridges cost about $1, and each makes 28 fl oz of seltzer water. I usually dilute diet soda 1:1, and it's still plenty sweet.
PianoAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 06:59 AM   #12
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PianoAl View Post
This is what I use:

It's very convenient. The CO2 cartridges cost about $1, and each makes 28 fl oz of seltzer water. I usually dilute diet soda 1:1, and it's still plenty sweet.
Very interesting. I didn't know these were available to the general public. Thanks.