Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2010, 11:22 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: wmay12
Please motivate me!

Longtime lurker, first post. I have yo-yo'd all of my life. I have been successful twice with South Beach and Medifast. Just recently lost 50 lbs last year. Needless to say, its all back. Love carbs. One bite and it's all over. Cravings come back ten-fold. I have such a hard time getting past the few days due to headache and irritability. I need to lose the 50 lbs forever.

Please give me the motivation to do this again. Please remind me also that it needs to be a way of life, not just a one time thing. I have pcos/insulin resistance and high blood pressure. Not to mention an active toddler at home!

Thanks in advance!
W
wmay12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-2010, 11:28 AM   #2
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: jabbok
You have come to the right place there are lots of people here who have many words of wisdom.

For the motivation you just have to decide that this is it! No more excuses, no turning back.

Make sure that you have all the junk out of your house so you aren't tempted and get all the right foods so that you are prepared.
jabbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 11:54 AM   #3
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Your toddler deserves a healthy mother.
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 11:56 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: DJFoodie
Stats: 352/215/185
WOE: Low in carbs, high in yumminess.
Start Date: March 13th, 2010
I've been thinking about this. I'm not someone I would consider as having a "sweet tooth", but my day was mired in pasta, potatoes, rice, breads and tortillas; the white, soft, delicious, filling good stuff.

I read a book called Dr. Gundry's Diet Evolution. It was handed to me by my family Dr. (my parent's have money, so our family Dr. is completely up on all the newest info). I'd never really tried to lose weight before, but this book just really put things into perspective for me. While it's a lot about weight loss and vanity, it's also about a wonderful QUALITY of life, and even a LONGER life. I don't want to hit the wall at 55 and stare death in the face. I want to be vital in my 90's.

Well, Dr. Gundry basically suggests low carb. I started and lost A LOT of weight. Something like 30 lbs. in the first month. However, I would toss and turn at night. I would literally dream/fixate/obsess on burritos and hamburger buns. I wanted pancakes and sandwiches. I'm a chef, so I'm able to think about these things and literally COOK in my mind. It's 3:30 in the morning and I'm lying in bed "cooking" low carb lasagna, in my mind. I couldn't stop.

I'd get online and study all the possible "frankenfoods" available. Oh! I can replace sugar with erythritol! Oh! I can use dreamfields and slam down pounds of pasta! OH! Carb quick! I can bake breads! Check out out! There's LC Mashed potato Mix! Whoppee!!!

So, I placed a gigantic order with Netrition for all these things I'd been salivating for in my dreams. Problem is, I live in Mexico. So, they shipped the order, but it still hasn't arrived! It's been 2 months! Where's my MimicCream? Where's my guar gum?

Life can be so cruel.

I was irritable, angry, wouldn't return people's calls (this is about a month in). I was still eating low carb. I was eating a lot of steak/chicken/pork/salmon/eggs/bacon/sausages and a lot of veggies/broccoli/romaine/mixed greans/cauliflower/green beans/brussel sprouts/mushroom/peppers and some onions, tomatoes and garlic (sparingly).

I was also using a lot of spices, ginger, vinegars, lemons, limes, chilis, herbs, etc.

I WAS eating well. Actually, I was eating better than I'd ever really eaten. The carbs just had a death grip on me.

I don't know what happened, when or why, but about 6 weeks ago, the clouds lifted. I was down over 40 lbs, and I could sleep again. No more dreaming about shrimp tacos.

A calm came over me. I have a bunch of great 85% chocolate in the fridge, just sitting there. Now, 2 months later, I'm actually a little "worried" about my order from Netrition. I'm digging the way I'm eating. I'm making low carb crepes. I'm making oopsie rolls. I made a low carb sort of cooked egg nog base, that I want to use for different flavors of ice cream and beverages. I've found my new way of eating!

I did it through angry arguments, tantrums with myself, full blown obsessing about creamy corn chowders, tension, frustration, endless anticipation, etc. Really super heavy rough times.

Then ... calm, clear, good.

I'm just a hair under 60lbs. lost, now. I eat primarily "whole foods". I limit sweets and dairy, but do eat them. I eat a lot of veggies and meats. I also drink coffee with unsweetend almond milk and truvia. I rarely cheat. When I do, it's a legal cheat. I have LC taco shells, oopsie rolls and a sweet egg base in my freezer, as well as some asian turkey meatballs and some LC Jambalaya. I eat sausages and bacon, but read the labels for fillers and words I can't pronounce.

I eat well.

I'm a carb junkie, an ex smoker and a recovering alcoholic. I used to weigh over 350 lbs. In just over 3 months I've dropped about 60 lbs and exercising and am very possibly happier and more "at peace" with myself than I have been in a very long time.

... A VERY LONG TIME ...

The first month was hard. Very hard. Brutally hard. However, you can do it. YOU CAN do it. Throw out all the mac and cheese, pastas, bags of sugar, crackers, cookies, breads, mixes, etc. Get rid of temptations. Avoid as many tempting circumstances as you can for the first month. Get a support group, from us, to a friend you can call when you're about to binge on chocolate coated pretzels.

I'm not done, and haven't even hit my half way point, but I'm fully, thoroughly and completely convinced that this is a way to go. It's sustainable, delicious, I never feel hungry, I'm never left "wanting", and my days do nothing but get better and brighter.

Put a rubber band on your wrist and flick it, each time you think about a warm chocolate chip cookie.

Each person is different. Some will struggle more than others, but I'm pretty confident that if I can do it, anyone can.

That includes you!

DJFoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 11:58 AM   #5
Atkins Ambassador

Gallery: sugarless4life
Stats: 5'3 / 100 pounds / 56 yo /maintaining for 9 years
WOE: Lost it with Atkins / RUNNING to keep it off!
Start Date: January 19, 2002 -10 1/2 YEARS ON ATKINS
Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
THIS. TOTALLY THIS.

And you deserve to be the best you can be.

Unfortunately, though, we can't motivate you. Only YOU can do that. Is it tough? Well, I suppose so, yes ... but to quote Inatic (one of the posters here), YA GOTTA WANNA.

Look, none of us can rely on anyone to lead us to long-term success. You have to decide that for yourself. You have to come to terms with the fact that you are "sick and tired of being sick and tired." You have to WANT to change; you have to WANT to succeed; and you have to want it worse than anything in a bag, in a box, or in a wrapper.

Make up your own mind. THE POWER LIES WITHIN YOU.

Betty
Old 06-26-2010, 12:27 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Calidreamer
Stats: 242/161/142
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 10, 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
This. And you deserve to be in LOTS of those pictures with your adorable toddler! My kids will look back over the years and won't be able to remember what I looked like when they were little - I wonder if they will remember me there. Be happy and healthy and treasure the days with your little one - they grow up soooo fast. Don't add the stress of not feeling healthy or attractive during these precious years.
Calidreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 12:56 PM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: wmay12
Loving the replies. Clackley put it into perspective. I want to see my son grow up and be healthy doing it. I work in a hospital too. I see what obesity does first hand.

I am constantly "one last meal" away. Or "I'll start on Monday".

Thanks for the motivation. Keep it coming. Will print this thread and keep it with me!

W
wmay12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 02:46 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sfmama123
Stats: 356/226/175
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: Every day
Hey Wmay,

Welcome. Lowcarb is really going to help with the insulin resistance/PCOS. That in and of itself is the very reason why you should be lowcarbing everyday, to keep the IR from turning into full-blown diabetes. We're here for you-good luck!!!
sfmama123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 03:07 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: CJ:)
Stats: 525/276/220 5'8" (16 lbs left, 40 lbs excess skin)
WOE: VLC and Exercise. (Meat/Egg/Cheesetarian)
Start Date: Dec 2003
I have PCOS too and I ended up 525 lbs.... even on an 800 calorie a day diet I wasn't losing weight because of the way the carbs effects the PCOS... Don't let yourself end up as big as I was. Kick it in the butt while you only have 50 lbs to lose... I have lost 242 lbs and I have so much extra skin that I am going to have to have 2 painful surgeries with 8 week recovery times on each surgery. The more weight you gain the worse your PCOS gets. Don't let this happen to you! Eating the carbs is NOT worth your health and you don't want to die young and leave your baby without a Momma, so get healthy while you still can. (oh and read my signature too)

Welcome
I've lost 249 lbs, lowered my body fat by 36% and lowered my resting heart rate from 110 to 65 beats per minute. I was told that I'd never be able to go to the gym again after an auto accident. I've been back at the gym since Sept. 2009 and completed my first official 5k on 9/25/10. I have PCOS and recently stopped eating Soy.
CJ:) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 03:31 PM   #10
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Looweewoo
Stats: 420/275/220 - 6'2"
WOE: Carnivore/T2 Diabetic
Start Date: Restart@350 09/17/09 The best is yet to come!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmay12 View Post
Longtime lurker, first post. I have yo-yo'd all of my life. I have been successful twice with South Beach and Medifast. Just recently lost 50 lbs last year.
Forgive me for saying this if I am off base, but I don't think your problem is motivation. For me to say that, I would have to say that all those other times you lost weight you regained it because you were motivated to regain it. I don't believe that's true.

I believe your problem is the same as many other people on this board, you are a carb addict immersed in a society which glorifies carbs. You clearly know that carbs are the problem, but like an alcoholic you make the wrong decision at critical times, largely because of an incomplete knowledge of the hidden triggers in our culture.

For reasons which have nothing to do with motivation or will-power, you have a moment where all the advertising, the smells as you walk down the street, the memories of cultural and family events - all these things and much more - conspire against you and you fall for them.

Then you are caught in a spiral of cravings and reinforcement. You have to spend the three or four days of withdrawal, get back on induction and then honestly look at your addiction and create for yourself a life-style of choosing each day to follow your plan, share and build your "Counter-culture" here (no lurking) as a support network to fight against the daily attacks our way of eating faces today.

Or at least that's the way I see it.

I know others disagree with me. Of course, nothing on this board is more common than a person who talks about being strong, who makes a final decision that this is the last time and they have to do this and there's no turning back - just chock full of motivation and determination - who then shows up 3 months later having to start over.

"Motivation" is no guarantee of success... but working your plan works.
Looweewoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 04:44 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: IslandAnne
WOE: Modified LC.
There is a prevailing attitude with those who used LC to successfully lose weight, and control blood sugar. -----> Slow and steady WILL win the race!

As much as it's human nature to want that perfect body yesterday, take it one day at a time. Enjoy the food and don't deprive yourself and endlessly tweak your plan in an attempt to get to the finish line faster.

Enjoying my meals and being satisfied is the reason I have no problems staying with LC everyday.

Oh, that and being "strong" enough to ignore anyone, and everyone who will be appalled that you're not eating bread, or cereal (Gasp!). This is almost what had me caving. The constant pressure from almost everyone I knew to get me to eat carbs, because meat is bad mmk? and cerial is "heart healthy" *rolls eyes*

I wish you success!

Last edited by IslandAnne; 06-26-2010 at 04:46 PM..
IslandAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 05:09 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: whoknew
WOE: SyndromeX
Start Date: June 2007
I agree that only you can motivate you! I can tell you that what helped me was clearing out all the junk (carbs) in the house and learning how to cook all over again with low carb ingredients. There are loads of excellent recipes from some awesome folks here! Take it one day at a time, and if that's too much, take it by the hour. Plan ahead for meals and snacks -- especially snacks! I keep high protein/low carb snacks available in the refrigerator and freezer! You've done it before; you can do it, again! Wishing you all the best and great success! dianne
Old 06-26-2010, 05:38 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mirchi
wmay12,

I agree with others. Only you can motivate you. If your toddler hasn't made this an important priority for you, how can strangers on the internet?

We can help in planning, recipes, questions, and support while you are doing it, but the motivation is something you have to seek. If YOU don't think it is important enough yet, we certainly can't change that.

This is how I think -

I have this one life. This one life to succeed, fail, enjoy life, see places, be with people, particpate in all the adventure, feel good, look good, and kick ass. I do not have a second chance. Every day that goes by and I am not doing these things, I am wasting precious moments.

There is no tomorrow. IT IS TODAY. Today is when you change things.
mirchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 06:02 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Nance7
Stats: 5'3" 165/125/135 Restart 7/9/12 at 142
WOE: Medi Weight Loss Clinic
Start Date: 5/31/2010
This is my first post here, after almost 4 weeks of Medi Weight Loss. Have lost 13 lbs., by my scales. Your motivation request prompted me to share a couple of things that have helped me:

1. Instead of starting this with the idea of giving up so much (I am addicted to sugar, don't care about much else food-wise), I started it with the idea of PURSUING a DREAM of being thin again. Turning the negative into a positive has really helped me.

2. Yesterday, while feeling deprived, I sent myself this email: "Feeling deprived?

When you were eating everything in sight, OD’ing on sugar and carbs of every kind, you were deprived of:

FEELING GOOD ABOUT YOURSELF
LOOKING GOOD
PRETTY CLOTHES
RECEIVING ADMIRING LOOKS
GOOD HEALTH

WHICH TYPE OF DEPRIVED DO YOU PREFER??"

Best wishes as you start on this journey, and thank you to all of you who motivate me every day.

Nance
Nance7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 12:11 PM   #15
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Looweewoo View Post
Forgive me for saying this if I am off base, but I don't think your problem is motivation. For me to say that, I would have to say that all those other times you lost weight you regained it because you were motivated to regain it. I don't believe that's true.

I believe your problem is the same as many other people on this board, you are a carb addict immersed in a society which glorifies carbs. You clearly know that carbs are the problem, but like an alcoholic you make the wrong decision at critical times, largely because of an incomplete knowledge of the hidden triggers in our culture.

For reasons which have nothing to do with motivation or will-power, you have a moment where all the advertising, the smells as you walk down the street, the memories of cultural and family events - all these things and much more - conspire against you and you fall for them.

Then you are caught in a spiral of cravings and reinforcement. You have to spend the three or four days of withdrawal, get back on induction and then honestly look at your addiction and create for yourself a life-style of choosing each day to follow your plan, share and build your "Counter-culture" here (no lurking) as a support network to fight against the daily attacks our way of eating faces today.

Or at least that's the way I see it.

I know others disagree with me. Of course, nothing on this board is more common than a person who talks about being strong, who makes a final decision that this is the last time and they have to do this and there's no turning back - just chock full of motivation and determination - who then shows up 3 months later having to start over.

"Motivation" is no guarantee of success... but working your plan works.
Very insightful post!! Could not agree more! Motivation and determination cannot be 'maintained' indefinitely. Having a clear understanding and acceptance of what it is that drives the unhealthy eating is key to long term success in my opinion. So research and read, read, read!
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 01:07 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: DJFoodie
Stats: 352/215/185
WOE: Low in carbs, high in yumminess.
Start Date: March 13th, 2010
I just want to chime in again and suggest that you do this for yourself. So many people try to do things to make their spouse's happy, or family, or friends, peers, children, toddlers, etc. In my opinion, this can backfire.

Do it for yourself. Create a list of reasons why you want to do this for yourself. I imagine you'd like to look better in your clothes. I imagine you'd like to live longer. I imagine you'd like to be healthier and more confident, with the ability to think more clearly and rationally. I'm sure there are other reasons. Doing it for your child is good, swirled in with the others, but if you do it for a specific person, if you put their interests above your own, and you fail? This breeds contempt and resentments. I encourage you to find motivation from within yourself.

You don't want to try and hit a goal, fail, and blame your child, do you?

This isn't to say you'll fail. You may very well succeed, but why risk it?

Do it for yourself.

Something else I personally tell myself; sort of a matra, if you will. "If you do it and do it right, you only need to do it once."

Losing 50 lbs. is no small feat. You want to do it for yourself, do it once, and keep it off, forever. Find your motivation, read, research, find help and support, and make sure you nail it the first time. It never gets easier, but if you do it once, you CAN get it behind you.

Just my two cents.

In the end, anything, no matter what it is, that works for you ... do that.
DJFoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 07:39 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: vastamper
Stats: sw145/cw128/begin pre maint 125
WOE: Atkins/Modifying it 5/2014
Start Date: April 2001, April 2010

You can do it!! You can lose the 50lbs. You've done it before.

While doing you have to think about how to maintain that loss...figure out things that work for you. Try out ideas posted here on LCF. Think about why you regained it before...maybe pregnancy?
vastamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 07:53 PM   #18
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: maxsmomy
Stats: 300/280/160
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 2/7/04
Wow DJ foodie you have soo much wisdom- everything you said is soo true- changing your relationship with food and how you think about it really is a large part of the battle. I almost get to that point and turn back. This time I really know I have to do this- I am heavier than ever (after diet drs, other plans, ect) I hopped back on here to lurk today and was reminded of the lovely support there is out there. We just need to hang in there and help each other thru the journey.
maxsmomy is offline   Reply With Quote