Old 06-10-2010, 09:27 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: danielsgirl
Stats: 292/240/???
WOE: low carb
Start Date: 2/2013
OATMEAL?

Hey everyone,
I have a question, is oatmeal a bad choice if eating lowcarb? I have been CRAVING it and broke down and bought some tonight. I checked all the labels and bought the lowest carb one (16 net carbs for one packet) I have been good with my carbs today and just made myself some oatmeal to satisfy this craving but I'm wondering..... Is there a better alternative? I know you guys will know!

Hope this doesn't set me back in my plan!
danielsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-2010, 10:11 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: rose1
WOE: Vegetarian SB
Start Date: June, 2005
My plan allows oatmeal, but not the instant stuff. I eat steel cut oats and always with some protein, usually an egg.
rose1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 10:17 PM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Speck333
WOE: Semi-Primal
There are many tasty finds in the recipe room, like this one: Almond Breakfast Bread Pudding - LowCarbFriends Recipes
I've made this recipe several times, and to me, it is better than oatmeal. The drawback is you need some special ingredients like almond meal and flax meal, but these are very handy to have on low carb anyway.
Speck333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 12:56 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: clanger
Stats: 5' 0" Size 22 / Size 16 / Size 10
WOE: Targeting (70/25/5) ratio
Start Date: Restart: 31st August 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsgirl View Post
Hey everyone,
Is there a better alternative? I know you guys will know!
I normally keep some ProtiMeal Oatmeal on hand for a convenient breakfast (about 6g carb). It's a bit like wallpaper paste on it's own , but isn't bad at all with a good dollop of thick double cream in it. I'm sure other manufacturers will also produce low carb versions of oatmeal, which it might be handy to keep in your cupboard in case of emergency.
clanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 01:18 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cerisedownunder
Stats: 139/131/125
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Feb 2010
Goodness, I wish my cravings were only for oatmeal!
cerisedownunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 06:16 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: AngieCakes
Stats: 198/143/135-140
WOE: Atkins/Pre-Maintenance
Start Date: 1/8/2010
I'm patiently waiting for rung 9 on the carb ladder. I'm currently at rung 7 I think. Rung 9 is OATFREAKINGMEAL. I've seen so many LC versions of this it's unreal and I can't wait to try them. I actually prefer hot cereal to cold and the protein, fiber, etc will be good for me.
AngieCakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 06:31 AM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Looweewoo
Stats: 420/275/220 - 6'2"
WOE: Carnivore/T2 Diabetic
Start Date: Restart@350 09/17/09 The best is yet to come!
I tried that and it made me stall and crave, but maybe you will be different. If you have room for 16 carbs and can keep it to one serving, maybe it will work.
Looweewoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 10:34 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for the replies everyone! I did in fact eat my oatmeal last night and it was wonderful! totally nipped my cravings in the bud. I did stick to one serving and while it was a bit carby at 16 (well might as well say 18 because I added 2 splenda and some butter and heavy cream) I enjoyed it.

No extra cravings, so I think I'm good. I will just be extra careful today with my carbs just in case.

I will have to look for the other brands out there. Where do you get steel cut oats? or Protimeal? Do you have to order them from netrition?

Doing this for all the right reasons.

Now in Heaven but Always in Our Hearts Our Baby 3/6/2008

Mother to an amazing baby girl! Kaitlyn - Born November 2011.

Wife to the most amazing guy!
Old 06-11-2010, 01:48 PM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Strawberry
On occasions that i have oatmeal, i mix cottage cheese into it - it gives it this rich creamy texture and "stretches' the oatmeal by adding more volume to it.

I also use the regular cut oats, not the instant packets (they tend to have extra "stuff"/carbs/preservatives added in)
Strawberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 02:12 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JunkInMyTrunk
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsgirl View Post

I will have to look for the other brands out there. Where do you get steel cut oats? or Protimeal? Do you have to order them from netrition?
You should be able to get steel cut oats right in any old grocery store. McCains is a good brand. I usually find it in a steel can. Have you tried replacing oatmeal with quinoa or possibly adding the two together for a more filling and protein filled breakfast?
There is a sticky in the recipe section "All About Quinoa". I love the stuff either sweet or savory.
JunkInMyTrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 02:30 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: PaganCub
Stats: 339/317/240
WOE: Clean-Low-Carb
A mix of almond meal, flax meal, and TVP would probably have the same texture as oatmeal...will little to no carbs at all.
PaganCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 06:54 PM   #12

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
Guar gum, when whirled in the blender with water and microwaved, thickens into a good base for a low carb hot cereal. IF I were to try oatmeal, I would probably use a third of a packet in a bowl of guar gum and see how that tasted. (It's essentially zero carb--all fiber.)
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 07:50 PM   #13
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
I cannot do oatmeal, no way, no how. I have tried numerous times, with steelcut oats, adding cream, butter, protein powder - and I'm ravenous an hour later!

But what I CAN do is quinoa. I make up a batch and keep it in the fridge to use as a side dish or hot cereal. For the latter, I heat it in a bowl with some unsweetened vanilla almond milk, a splash of heavy cream, and some sweetener (usually LC maple syrup) - because it's high protein and low glycemic, it sticks with me for a long time and never causes me the cravings/starvation feeling that the oats do.

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 08:13 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: MarcyDarcy
Stats: 195/180/173 goal: 135 or maybe lower
Start Date: November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charski View Post
I cannot do oatmeal, no way, no how. I have tried numerous times, with steelcut oats, adding cream, butter, protein powder - and I'm ravenous an hour later!

But what I CAN do is quinoa. I make up a batch and keep it in the fridge to use as a side dish or hot cereal. For the latter, I heat it in a bowl with some unsweetened vanilla almond milk, a splash of heavy cream, and some sweetener (usually LC maple syrup) - because it's high protein and low glycemic, it sticks with me for a long time and never causes me the cravings/starvation feeling that the oats do.
Sounds good. Do you know how many carbs are in a serving?
MarcyDarcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 09:43 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

I don't eat oatmeal often but I do crave it from time to time. I looked at the large containers of oatmeal at the store and found that they actually had more carbs than the instant packets. I was shocked! but I don't seem to have done any harm, and since I don't plan on eating it every day I think I will be fine. I will have to try some of the other options though, I may like them better!
Old 06-11-2010, 10:08 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: CJ:)
Stats: 525/276/220 5'8" (16 lbs left, 40 lbs excess skin)
WOE: VLC and Exercise. (Meat/Egg/Cheesetarian)
Start Date: Dec 2003
I personally avoid oatmeal because I always liked it with cinna toast and I can't mix two carbs together like that or I will get sick. I limit myself to around 30 carbs per day. However if I am really craving something I will have a small portion of it and then keep the rest of my days carb intake down as low as possible. For me low carb is a life style not just a diet, so I have to let myself have something once in awhile.

They key is not to do that every day and if you do have a day where you have more carbs then for the next 3 or 4 days make sure you keep your carbs down, but allow yourself a little more carbs every 3 or 4 days so you don't get to a point where you want to eat the whole cheesecake. This has worked well for me and if I am craving cheesecake I will only have half of a small slice. Any more then that will make me feel sick and it's just not worth it to me. So if I wanted oatmeal for breakfast, I would try to avoid having toast with it, maybe a scrambled egg if one packet of oatmeal isn't enough or if you will feel too hungry in an hour later. Then for lunch a tuna or grilled chicken salad and for dinner some kind of lean, unbreaded meat with green beans or broccoli.
CJ:) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 05:23 AM   #17
Old Wise One

Gallery: jezzie
Stats: choosing to be scale-free;
WOE: (48% C; 33% Fat; 19% P; )
Start Date: 11/22/11 - MediterrAsian, Flexitarian, Oz-ish
Eating steel-cut or old-fashioned oatmeal didn't work for me on Atkins.

Oatmeal, when not on low carb, is my 'six days out of seven' breakfast.

I'd advi(s)e anyone doing low carb to proceed with caution with grains.
(Some can handle it. Many can't. - According to what I read at LCF.)

Last edited by jezzie; 06-12-2010 at 05:38 AM.. Reason: typo due to dain bramage
jezzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 07:20 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: MarcyDarcy
Stats: 195/180/173 goal: 135 or maybe lower
Start Date: November 2009
AND, the recommended serving for a diabetic is only 1/2 cup -- cooked. Even this small serving spiked my blood sugar. So, certainly now that I'm on Atkins, I never eat oatmeal.
MarcyDarcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 11:06 AM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blood Sugar 101
Stats: 1998-2009 170/142/145---2010 138/142/138
WOE: 80-100g per day. Metformin (no more prandin!)
Start Date: First LC diet 1998, goal 2003, continual vigilance
I mix Bob's Red Mill ground flax with plain whey protein and bran to make a cereal that when you pour boiling water on it tastes a lot like Wheatena.
Blood Sugar 101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 06:58 PM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: AngieCakes
Stats: 198/143/135-140
WOE: Atkins/Pre-Maintenance
Start Date: 1/8/2010
I'm subbing here because i'm in OWL and the last rung is Whole Grains. I like some of the substitutes i've read so far in this thread. As with all of the rungs i've tried so far "Proceed With Caution" always goes through my mind before I introduce a new food. So far i've been lucky.

Thanks for the great feedback and information/experiences.
AngieCakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 09:29 PM   #21
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 And again...223/215.0/146 5'7
WOE: Misc.
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
I eat oatmeal occasionally about an hour before a big workout. Either rolled or steel cut, with some Splenda, butter, a little milk and pecans. I don't feel any BS issues (but I don't have a meter).

I used to literally shake a couple of hours after eating oatmeal before LC so I was very wary about trying it. It turns out it must have been the sugar poured over it and the 4 slices of Wonderbread toast I scooped it up with. Go figure.
GME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 10:32 PM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
I blend a packet of shiataki noodles rinsed and drained with a tbs of whey protein a tbs of flax and a tbs of psyllium with an immersion blender and then microwave. Absolutely perfect. Butter and faux brown sugar. Yum
ouizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 11:33 PM   #23
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Minnas
Stats: 28/8-10/8-10
WOE: Lost VLC/Now LC/Lower calorie through lower fat
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post
I blend a packet of shiataki noodles rinsed and drained with a tbs of whey protein a tbs of flax and a tbs of psyllium with an immersion blender and then microwave. Absolutely perfect. Butter and faux brown sugar. Yum
Ah, you know I have seen blocks of shirataki and had no earthly idea what I would do with them but maybe this is an idea. Interesting!! I think I will pick up a block and try that.
Minnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 03:23 AM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: doggz109
Stats: 382/Under 300/180
WOE: Primal Blueprint
Start Date: Dec 2010
Yeah unfortunately if you are trying to lose weight oatmeal is definitely a no-no. If you are at your goal weight and it doesn't spike your insulin and cause cravings then go for it. All grains will end up the same thing in your body - glucose.

Good luck.
doggz109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 10:35 AM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cjack1
I saw a recipe on another site with about this. I would like to have some oatmeal, but I'm working so much right now that I don't have time to make this so I can't say much about it. But, I think it has potential. The people who rated it just raved about it.

Here it is:

Low Carb "Oatmeal"

Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 5 hours
Total Time: 5 hours, 5 minutes
Ingredients:
2 C TVP granules (Bob's Red Mill)
1 quart unsweetened soy milk (can use coconut milk or other milk)
1 T cinnamon
1 t nutmeg
1 1/2 T vanilla
Or adjust the above seasonings to your taste
Sweetener to taste
Optional: Whisk in eggs. 4 eggs makes it more like rice pudding.
Preparation:
Mix all ingredients in crockpot, large saucepan/Dutch oven, or large covered casserole dish (be careful about this - when I tested it in the oven, it overflowed).

Cooking Times

Crockpot/Slow Cooker: It will be cooked in about 2 hours on high or 4 hours on low, but you can let it go longer and it won't hurt it.
Oven: About 1 hour at 350 F.
Stovetop: Bring to boil, then simmer for 30-45 minutes, stirring occasionally - you should know by looking when it's done.

Carb Count: Assuming unsweetened soy milk and liquid sweeteners (zero carbs), the entire recipe has about 36 ECC and makes about 6-10 bowls of "oatmeal", depending upon the size.
The TVP "Oatmeal" recipe has an average rating of 5.0, based on 7 reviews.
cjack1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 01:21 PM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

That "low carb Oatmeal" receipe is full of soy which makes it problematic.

Soy depresses the thyroid. It also contains chemicals that damage the gut lining, making it more permeable to large proteins which leak into the blood stream causing immune reactions.

Flax and whey are safer.
Old 06-13-2010, 05:25 PM   #27

Gallery: inatic
Stats: 182+/126 5'4 51!yo 16/4 *5* kidlets later!
WOE: Coach:Erik Ledin leanbodies consulting
Start Date: LowER C since 2/02 wt training 10/15/02
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggz109 View Post
Yeah unfortunately if you are trying to lose weight oatmeal is definitely a no-no. If you are at your goal weight and it doesn't spike your insulin and cause cravings then go for it. All grains will end up the same thing in your body - glucose.

Good luck.
I eat oatmeal EVERY day..
inatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 04:40 AM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by inatic View Post
do they react the same way if eggs or protein are included?
Yes. All protein or fat does is slow the speed with which the stomach digests carbs. But every gram of carb eventually gets digested.

In a person with intact 2nd phase insulin response (which includes some people with early diabetes) the slow second phase produces enough insulin to process the slowly digested carbs from the oatmeal so there is a small or nonexistant blood sugar spike.

But the fact that the spike doesn't occur simply proves that enough insulin is produced to get rid of however many grams of carb the oatmeal contains.

Those of you who have reached goal and maintained who can eat oatmeal may have corrected very mild insulin resistance due to weight and have normalized your blood sugar. People with normal blood sugar can eat a lot of carb with no problems at all. That's why there is an equally vocal low fat community who can't understand those of us who make a big deal about carbs. They eat those high carb diets, drop a bunch of weight, and feel fine.
Old 06-14-2010, 05:13 AM   #29

Gallery: inatic
Stats: 182+/126 5'4 51!yo 16/4 *5* kidlets later!
WOE: Coach:Erik Ledin leanbodies consulting
Start Date: LowER C since 2/02 wt training 10/15/02
thanks for the explanation
inatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 05:31 AM   #30
Old Wise One

Gallery: jezzie
Stats: choosing to be scale-free;
WOE: (48% C; 33% Fat; 19% P; )
Start Date: 11/22/11 - MediterrAsian, Flexitarian, Oz-ish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blood Sugar 101 View Post

People with normal blood sugar can eat a lot of carb with no problems at all. That's why there is an equally vocal low fat community who can't understand those of us who make a big deal about carbs. They eat those high carb diets, drop a bunch of weight, and feel fine.

Yes, I know several of those very successful loser/maintainers (in real life).
Good of you to acknowledge that.

jezzie is offline   Reply With Quote