Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Brut Champagne.. (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/678418-brut-champagne.html)

daisyHair 06-10-2010 12:42 PM

Brut Champagne..

Has lower carbs than any dry red or white wine.. 1.5 carbs per 5 oz.

Just sayin! :clap:

Is it too indulgent to now want to drink champagne (prosecco) every night?

junkfoodmonkey 06-10-2010 12:57 PM

Champagne is the only wine I bother with these days.

If I was rich I'd drink a glass every day. :D

daisyHair 06-10-2010 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by junkfoodmonkey (Post 13577840)
Champagne is the only wine I bother with these days.

If I was rich I'd drink a glass every day. :D

I know, right? I love a good red wine but with the hot weather the cold bubbly is much more what I want.

It is expensive though. The Prosecco (Italian bubbly) is not as expensive.

maryvit 06-10-2010 01:13 PM

I love the stuff - but my gut doesn't - heartburn city...

thank goodness for MGD64 ... can have plenty of those and no tummy issues at all :) a little higher in carbs 2.4 per can, but hey - I gave up the cheese and crackers, ok?? :)

sugarless4life 06-10-2010 01:15 PM

Quote:

Is it too indulgent to now want to drink champagne (prosecco) every night?

WHATCHUTAWKIN'BOUT!!!!

daisyHair 06-10-2010 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sugarless4life (Post 13577940)
WHATCHUTAWKIN'BOUT!!!!

Hehe,
I know, right.

sugarless4life 06-10-2010 01:50 PM

Although my latest discovery of the LC pina colada is a close second!!

:cool:

Betty

daisyHair 06-10-2010 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sugarless4life (Post 13578133)

Betty

OOO share your LC Pina Colada recipe!

I am making "pina colada" snow cones tonight with SF Davinci pineapple and coconut flavors and cream. It's pretty good.

sugarless4life 06-10-2010 02:00 PM

LC Pina Colada

1/4 cup coconut milk
1 tablespoon lime juice
2/3 can diet lemon lime soda (I used diet sprite zero)
ice
OPTIONAL: a splash of Cruzan Coconut Rum
(small umbrella optional)

Mix all ingredients and enjoy! THIS IS JUST WAAAAAAAAAAAAAY TOO GOOD!

Carb count without the Cruzan: 3 per serving.
Carb count with the Cruzan: WHO CARES :laugh:

Betty

steady 06-10-2010 02:00 PM

I am not going to be a damper on this glorious parade!
With all this new wine training ( I am studying for my Sommerlier certificate)...sparklings and Champagnes (and Sav blancs) are my new love. Anyway the sparkling wine process traditionally includes a dosage added prior to being packaged up. A dosage is a mixture of usually unfermented grape juice and/or sugar and yeast. Good quality champagnes and sparkling this dosage continues fermentation into alcohol in the bottle so there is no residual sugar, but in less expensive one that are taken to market quickly, the dosage does not have time to ferment as a result there is residual sugar. This is true even if the bottle says "brut" which is consider a very dry champagne. Despite what the bottle says, it there is any perceived sweetness then it there probably is some residual sugar, hence carbs.

Oh there are several good quality no dosage sparklings...look for terms like "brut zero", "brut naturel", or "sauvage".

The nutritional profiles on wines and sparklings are an average, but there is a good range brand to brand and even bottle to bottle with respect to calories, carbs, and sugar.

Just throwing this out there, but overall I love Extra Brut Champagne! Enjoy! Cheers!

RobbyC 06-10-2010 02:01 PM

2nd on the Pina Coloda recipe!

AngieCakes 06-10-2010 02:03 PM

And to think I was going to skip the wines and spirits rung on OWL....
Champagne is my favorite drink!!! :D

steady 06-10-2010 02:03 PM

Quote:

Betty

Betty, ever since you mentioned that on another thread I am so on to that one! Sans rum for now.;)

sugarless4life 06-10-2010 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steady (Post 13578201)
Betty, ever since you mentioned that on another thread I am so on to that one! Sans rum for now.;)

Honey, its ALMOST as good without the rum ... ALMOST. :rofl:

Honestly, its so good, I made DH take me to the store last night for 2 more cans of coconut milk!!

Betty

daisyHair 06-10-2010 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sugarless4life (Post 13578179)
LC Pina Colada

1/4 cup coconut milk
1 tablespoon lime juice
ice

Betty

Whoa.. yeasss! This looks great. I am going to try this over the weekend, thanks for sharing darlin'.

daisyHair 06-10-2010 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steady (Post 13578186)
I am not going to be a damper on this glorious parade!
With all this new wine training ( I am studying for my Sommerlier certificate)...sparklings and Champagnes (and Sav blancs) are my new love. Anyway the sparkling wine process traditionally includes a dosage added prior to being packaged up. A dosage is a mixture of usually unfermented grape juice and/or sugar and yeast. Good quality champagnes and sparkling this dosage continues fermentation into alcohol in the bottle so there is no residual sugar, but in less expensive one that are taken to market quickly, the dosage does not have time to ferment as a result there is residual sugar. This is true even if the bottle says "brut" which is consider a very dry champagne. Despite what the bottle says, it there is any perceived sweetness then it there probably is some residual sugar, hence carbs.

Oh there are several good quality no dosage sparklings...look for terms like "brut zero", "brut naturel", or "sauvage".

The nutritional profiles on wines and sparklings are an average, but there is a good range brand to brand and even bottle to bottle with respect to calories, carbs, and sugar.

Just throwing this out there, but overall I love Extra Brut Champagne! Enjoy! Cheers!

Oooo how wonderful to become a Sommerlier! I am sure I will have LOTS of questions for you as my DH and I are budding oenophiles.

One thing I have been wanting to ask someone is what is a Burgundy really? Is if from a particular region? A particular grape? Just a red wine?

I rarely see a label called "Burgundy". I have always wondered this.

daisyHair 06-10-2010 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngieCakes (Post 13578200)
And to think I was going to skip the wines and spirits rung on OWL....
Champagne is my favorite drink!!! :D

Oh good, I am glad we saved you from that! Cheers!

AngieCakes 06-10-2010 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daisyHair (Post 13578260)
Oh good, I am glad we saved you from that! Cheers!

LOL Yes cheers indeed!

cathy77533 06-10-2010 02:26 PM

Quote:

Betty

Receipe Please!! I love those!

sugarless4life 06-10-2010 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cathy77533 (Post 13578297)
Receipe Please!! I love those!

Cathy, please look at my earlier reply in this thread....:)

Betty

sugarless4life 06-10-2010 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daisyHair (Post 13578243)
Whoa.. yeasss! This looks great. I am going to try this over the weekend, thanks for sharing darlin'.

Anytime!!! I know you will love them!

Betty

cathy77533 06-10-2010 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sugarless4life (Post 13578334)
Cathy, please look at my earlier reply in this thread....:)

Betty

Ohhh, looks yummy!!

I'm gonna try them.. I didn't know coco milk was low carb:clap:

Thanks hun!!

cathy77533 06-10-2010 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sugarless4life (Post 13578179)
LC Pina Colada

1/4 cup coconut milk
1 tablespoon lime juice
ice

Betty

Just a "splash" of Cruzan Coconut Rum??:laugh:

Can yeah use Malibu rum, or does that have sugar and carbs?

I never heard of cruzan coconut rum!

sugarless4life 06-10-2010 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cathy77533 (Post 13578348)
Ohhh, looks yummy!!

I'm gonna try them.. I didn't know coco milk was low carb:clap:

Thanks hun!!

I didn't either ... BUT I DO NOW !!! :D:D:D

Betty

sugarless4life 06-10-2010 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cathy77533 (Post 13578356)
Just a "splash" of Cruzan Coconut Rum??:laugh:

Can yeah use Malibu rum, or does that have sugar and carbs?

I never heard of cruzan coconut rum!

Sure, you can use Malibu ... I never had it, but I'm sure its sorta close to Cruzan ... I get it at Total Wine around here .. but any liquor store should have it. I'm sure there's a bit of carbs in the rum, but like I said, WHO CARES! :laugh:

Betty

daisyHair 06-10-2010 02:59 PM

Actually gang, malibu has lots of sugar in it. It's a sugared coconut rum.. Used to LOVE that stuff.

2bflawless 06-10-2010 03:05 PM

Betty your a hoot! I am making pina coladas this weekend I may stick in the blender with ice and make a frozen pina colada! yum.

ravenrose 06-10-2010 03:05 PM

Italian prosecco is usually sweeter, no? Spanish sparkling wines are usually the driest/least expensive combo. Well, I'm seeing 2 grams in 4 oz of prosecco, so perhaps not.

I just got a bottle of Monin O'Free blackberry sf syrup from Netrition, just opened the box at lunch, and my first act was to pour a couple of teaspoons of it into a glass of white wine to make a sort-of kir. It would be GREAT with champagne as a kir royale, I'm just saying. (I know it should be black currant to be exact, but this is pretty close and delicious.)

ravenrose 06-10-2010 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cathy77533 (Post 13578348)
I didn't know coco milk was low carb.

This gets confusing. "Coconut milk" is traditionally a canned product from Asia. It's low in carbs, but not all THAT low.

There is a newish product out, sold in milk cartons either refrigerated or not. The one I tried is from So Delicious. It is really low carb--1 gram per cup!

HOWEVER it curdles when you add alcohol!!! I tried that with the DaVinci pineapple, a couple of ways, and it was always curdly awful.

Just try a small quantity of what you are mixing before you ruin a big glassful of expensive ingredients like I did.

daisyHair 06-10-2010 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ravenrose (Post 13578453)
Italian prosecco is usually sweeter, no? Spanish sparkling wines are usually the driest/least expensive combo. Well, I'm seeing 2 grams in 4 oz of prosecco, so perhaps not.

I just got a bottle of Monin O'Free blackberry sf syrup from Netrition, just opened the box at lunch, and my first act was to pour a couple of teaspoons of it into a glass of white wine to make a sort-of kir. It would be GREAT with champagne as a kir royale, I'm just saying. (I know it should be black currant to be exact, but this is pretty close and delicious.)

I am going to make a "kir" tonight with the rest of our bottle of Prosecco with some of our SF black berry. I think sliced strawberries would be nice too.

Kir Royale is one of my all time fav. drinks.

Ya, I was told by a friend of mine that is a liquor distributor (that is into LC too) that Prosecco (as long as it is a Brut bottle) was the lowest of all wines but to me any dry wine is fine.. hey that rhymes!