Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2010, 03:05 PM   #1

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
carbs in cauliflower?

I was reading a discussion the other day about the carbs in cauliflower. As an experiment, when I made some cauliflower "rice" today, I weighed it before cooking and measured the cooked rice.

It came out to 6 grams of net carbs per cup, or 11.35 grams for those of you who count total carbs.

I know that's not new information, nor shocking, but it does go to show why weighing is so much more accurate.

If you went by the "one cup cooked cauliflower, pieces" entry in the same database, you might imagine it was only 5.2 grams total or 1.8 grams net. That's quite a difference, and if you are careful with your carbs, you would just be fooling yourself if you counted it that way.

(and don't ask my why the fiber percent is different, it makes me sulk)
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-2010, 03:29 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JunkInMyTrunk
Do you think the discrepancy may be due to the description, "one cup cooked cauliflower, pieces"? When I look at the description, I think about the little florets of cauliflower in a measuring cup with more air around them then say a riced cauliflower would have. So you could put more riced cauliflower in a cup then you could if the pieces were just cut up cauliflower.

Having said all that, I definitely agree with the weighing over measuring. I bought myself one of those electronic food scales from Target and I use it all the time.
JunkInMyTrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 04:16 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JunkInMyTrunk View Post
Do you think the discrepancy may be due to the description, "one cup cooked cauliflower, pieces"? When I look at the description, I think about the little florets of cauliflower in a measuring cup with more air around them then say a riced cauliflower would have. So you could put more riced cauliflower in a cup then you could if the pieces were just cut up cauliflower.
Yes, absolutely. I guess I should have said that. I meant that most people, I think, would know the riced was "denser" than the "pieces," but without weighing it I also think they would underestimate how much carbier the riced form is, per cup.

Last edited by ravenrose; 06-07-2010 at 04:17 PM..
Old 06-07-2010, 06:05 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Minnas
Stats: 28/8-10/8-10
WOE: Lost VLC/Now LC/Lower calorie through lower fat
Yes, anything that can be cut up into different sized pieces (cubed, sliced, grated, left whole) I weigh. It is SHOCKING the difference in volume you get depending on how you have prepared the food. I wish they wouldn't even include these measures. What is 1 cup of cauliflower supposed to mean anyway?? Unless they assume we are using displacement which I guess some do. (Add 1 cup water to a 2 cup container then fill to top with "x". Then you have a "true" cup.) I don't know. The system seems actually designed to trip people up. At times like this I think I should be thankful most people don't seem to actually care how many carbs they are really eating and certainly aren't measuring or weighing anything so you know, it's all good, lol.
Minnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 07:15 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AnneEliot
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 10/27/09
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnas View Post
Yes, anything that can be cut up into different sized pieces (cubed, sliced, grated, left whole) I weigh. It is SHOCKING the difference in volume you get depending on how you have prepared the food.
This is what has made me a convert to weights for food measurement. The one that always bugs me is "one cup whole mushrooms." Shoot, I can fit 15 button mushrooms in a cup if I smush them, or one portabella if I stand it on end. Those aren't nearly equivalent. And how the heck are you supposed to know how much food a cup of "pieces" is? What SIZE pieces? I try to weigh everything these days.
AnneEliot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 07:33 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneEliot View Post
This is what has made me a convert to weights for food measurement. The one that always bugs me is "one cup whole mushrooms." Shoot, I can fit 15 button mushrooms in a cup if I smush them, or one portabella if I stand it on end. Those aren't nearly equivalent. And how the heck are you supposed to know how much food a cup of "pieces" is? What SIZE pieces? I try to weigh everything these days.
Yes, and raw greens are even worse. Loosely packed? What is that? LOL I might not even be able to get one leaf into a half cup if they were largish!
Old 06-07-2010, 08:44 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cleome
Stats: 230/184/130
WOE: Metformin+LowCarb/HypothyroidHealth
Start Date: September 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnas View Post
It is SHOCKING the difference in volume you get depending on how you have prepared the food.
And the coffee beans never fit back into the bag after I grind them in that machine at the grocery store.
cleome is offline   Reply With Quote