LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2010, 10:21 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: HotMommy
Stats: 5'8 175/127/120-133
WOE: LC primal
Start Date: About 5 years ago
I need to get back into ketosis FAST

What are the most effective ways you have found?

And if anybody could answer these questions for me I would appreciate it...

1...Is VLC/high fat, usually higher calorie, more effective for weight loss than moderate carb low calorie dieting? (I.E: Is a plain steak more effective for weight loss than a plate of vegetables with a few pieces of chicken breast?)

2...Is it true that ketosis can produce faster weight loss than starvation?

3...Will working out more intensely get me in to ketosis faster?

4...Is skipping meals when feeling bloated a worse idea than eating VLC as far as taking care of the water retention problem?

...Help!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-2010, 10:23 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ThisTime!
Stats: 324/261/199 (weighed 350+ in 2005)
WOE: Upping carbs to 30, cals to 1800
Start Date: 03/01/2010
For me, quickest way is eggfast. And lots of water.
ThisTime! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 10:24 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: SugarPop
Stats: 225/143.0/125 (5'2")
WOE: Atkins/ LowCarb
Hoping LooWeeWoo will respond to this. He recently was very helpful in getting me back on track. Yesterday I had chicken thighs w/skin on and bacon and eggs..........I'm feeling good and like I'm finally in ketosis.
B
SugarPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 10:24 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: steady
Stats: 110/95 5'2
WOE: ATKINS
Start Date: Feb 2007
I'll answer first- Clean eating, induction style. "Fast" is like 3 days for me.
Now, I will comment- I am sorry Rebecca, but you are worrying me...take care of yourself.
steady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 10:27 AM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: daisyHair
Stats: 257/228/140
WOE: Medi Weightloss
Start Date: 5' 4" 50 Years Old
High fat. I can do a cheese egg and butter fast and be back in within two days (if I only had a couple meals off).. it normally will take me three if I am eating veggies.
daisyHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 10:27 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mirchi
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotMommy View Post

1...Is VLC/high fat, usually higher calorie, more effective for weight loss than moderate carb low calorie dieting? (I.E: Is a plain steak more effective for weight loss than a plate of vegetables with a few pieces of chicken breast?)

4...Is skipping meals when feeling bloated a worse idea than eating VLC as far as taking care of the water retention problem?

...Help!
Rebecca, none of your questions asked "what is the healthiest way to lose weight and to keep it off?" You don't seem interested in that, and you continue the cycle of binge, starve, binge, starve. Also, are you maintaining or are you trying to lose weight? You stats say you are maintaining.

Here is my honest response.:

Have you read a book, any book? You seem to be in a high speed chase to lose wieght, binge, starve, binge, lose weight. After having lost all your weight, you don't seem knowledgeable about any of the things that one would be about low carb. I suggest you pick your plan and read that book or vice versa.

You have a bigger problem you are dealing with, mainly ED. Unless you address that, you are going to be chasing your tail.

Until then, eat until you are full. DO NOT eat sugar and starches. DO NOT BINGE. DO NOT STARVE. And you will do just fine.
mirchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 10:45 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Dee1904
WOE: JUDD
Seriously you just need to chill out. Slow it down and take your time. What the heck is the rush? You pigged out and now want to get back into ketosis fast. Just give it a few days and relax.
Dee1904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 10:51 AM   #8
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Getting into ketosis today or in a week will not change anything long term for you. Just eat on your plan and and concentrate on being healthy. A good suggestion made was to read the book (which ever plan suits you). This is not a race.
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 10:51 AM   #9
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Looweewoo
Stats: 420/275/220 - 6'2"
WOE: Carnivore/T2 Diabetic
Start Date: Restart@350 09/17/09 The best is yet to come!
The fastest way is fasting, but it's not noticeably faster than just being on induction. It still takes about three days. The difference between 10 carbs, zero carbs and no food is negligible as concerns getting into ketosis..

But I recommend you do it smart, not fast. Eat meat, a little salad, some eggs and drink lots of water. Build habits that will sustain your ability to stay on plan. Definitely read a book and follow the plan.
Looweewoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 10:55 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: crystalgriffon
Stats: 162.5/129.5...back to 138/125
WOE: Not sure...Atkins?
Start Date: Summer 2009
I'm sorry, this won't help much, but all I got from your post if just sheer panic and insecurity. That's NEVER ever a good way to try and lose weight. I tried to do the "work out till you drop" route out of panic and trust me, it doesn't work.

A side note - you are 134 pounds at 5'8''!!!!! Where on earth would you need to lose? Your avatar (and I assume is you) is beautiful!!
crystalgriffon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 11:04 AM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Strawberry
Quote:
but all I got from your post if just sheer panic and insecurity
I agree.... its hard to find that balance between wanting to help someone and not wanting to sound condescending, but not wanting to sound like you are condeming them.. but not wanting to support harmful behaviors.

But look at your questions....
Do you really want to find the quickest starvation method, hopefully faster than starvation itself?

You really need to find a balanced diet plan, not a rapid weight loss diet that somehow makes up for a binge or emotional disatisfaction with your weight.

The thing that will make your body thin and beautiful and perfectly shaped is a balanced eating program, adequate calories, and a reasonable exercise plan.

Not ultra-low calorie, restrictive vegan plans... then binging.... then spiraling into ketosis on meat only...followed by over-intense exercise.
Strawberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 11:15 AM   #12
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: daisyHair
Stats: 257/228/140
WOE: Medi Weightloss
Start Date: 5' 4" 50 Years Old
I have not been here for a while and have not seen many of your posts but I gather that you are really struggling.

Are you holding on by the skin of your teeth so to say? If you are struggling and having eating issues such as bingeing, you are doing an injustice to yourself with militant eating and extreme dieting. Many, many of us here have been where you are honey. That feeling of desperation does seem to come thru in your post a bit.

If you are dealing with food issues, please know that it's a viscous circle. I myself dealt with binge eating and severe starvation for more than 15 years. (I am 46). I think you need to find a "kinder and gentler" attitude toward your weight and yourself.

Can we start a dialog with you?. I don't want you to feel automatically on the defensive and not post back.
Old 06-07-2010, 11:26 AM   #13
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: yvonne326
Stats: 197/193/160
WOE: Low Carb & Exercise
Start Date: 5/28/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisTime! View Post
For me, quickest way is eggfast. And lots of water.

And bacon.

Works for me
yvonne326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 01:51 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lwcrbldy
Stats: 5'1", 34yrs: 135/117/112
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: 2/2013
Low-salt/nitrate-free Bacon, fresh salads, macadamia nuts, boiled shrimp (or grilled) if you can have shrimp and aren't allergic to them, chicken breasts, fresh fish, eggs.... I would stay away from the fasting avenue if you have a predisposition to an eating disorder (binge/purge disorders especially). Clean low-carb eating with a little higher fat content helps me feel fuller longer and gets me back into ketosis and back on a healthy track a lot easier than full-out fasting. Not that I'm knocking fasting-- I find fasting a very valuable tool, but ONLY in the right context (not in a binge/purge context). I find myself feeling very hungry right after I break a fast and it's very hard to control an all out binge after fasting which creates a viscious cycle as other have mentioned on here. Don't skip a meal, just eat smaller quantities of good clean sources of fat, protein and carbs--and drink plenty of water to get your system back in equilibrium and feeling less bloated and uncomfortable. Hope this helps.
Restart: 2/9/2013; 117lbs
Goal: 110-112lbs!
lwcrbldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 04:55 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Emily-D
Stats: obese/healthy weight
WOE: 1992 Atkins (no grains, no soy)
Start Date: 3/1/04, Restart 4/22/10
As everyone has said, you need to educate yourself on your low carb plan and just get back to it, without panicking or giving yourself a deadline. You're already at a very slim weight, so you need to concentrate on healthy eating and avoiding binges.

Starvation/fasting is a bad idea because it often results in binges, and it causes your body to lose lean muscle mass. If you tried to do it long term, it could result in heart damage and other serious health issues.

I know that other posters have suggested to you that you talk to someone who can help you with eating disorder issues. I hope you'll take that advice so you can be happy and healthy.
Old 06-07-2010, 05:15 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: texascounselor
Can we start a dialog with you?. I don't want you to feel automatically on the defensive and not post back.[/QUOTE]

Agreed... I think you have questions that people want to know but don't ask... but I also think that any quick fix will set you back ten fold.... having said all of that..... don't leave.... you felt comfortable enough to ask... hang in there. hugs.
texascounselor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 05:18 PM   #17

Gallery: wifey
Stats: goal is size 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalgriffon View Post
I'm sorry, this won't help much, but all I got from your post if just sheer panic and insecurity. That's NEVER ever a good way to try and lose weight. I tried to do the "work out till you drop" route out of panic and trust me, it doesn't work.

A side note - you are 134 pounds at 5'8''!!!!! Where on earth would you need to lose? Your avatar (and I assume is you) is beautiful!!
All of this.
wifey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 06:59 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Princess1985
WOE: very low carb & calorie tracking
Start Date: 21/may/2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotMommy View Post

...Help!
According to the atkins book im reading, they did tests and 90% fat gave quicker/better results than anything.
They also compared 90% fat (this is based on 1000 cals, like the fat fast) to a fast and doubled the fat loss with the fat. Yes working out will burn the glucose in your body/muscle and get you into ketosis quicker.
Drink water if your retaining water, or of course you could drink coffee and green tea etc which act like diuretics.
Eat if your hungry, bloated or not... everyone feels bloated after eating too many carbs i think... and if thats what its from it will go
Princess1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 08:46 AM   #19

Gallery: fawn
What are your life plans for eating? You're alarming me too.

You're a Mommy....please stop and think nutrition first, and weight loss second. Your child deserves your good health.
fawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 10:31 AM   #20
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Kiley2801
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalgriffon View Post

Because she has admitted to having an eating disorder.

HotMommy, this has been addressed before, but I find it infinitely troubling you are more worried about losing weight than getting help for you (and ensuring you are around for your son).

Please seek some professional help.
Kiley2801 is offline   Reply With Quote