Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2010, 12:50 PM   #31
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
That's another problem I see with this "scientific experiment." It is not the 'fat fast' at all. Given the macros that the OP listed, it's just another low carb eating pattern. It is neither Atkins nor his Fat Fast/

To call it Atkins' 'Fat Fast' is wrong and misleading to other posters who will assume it's what the Dr. prescribed, and it's not at all. It's like people who assume that "Atkins" means eating a pound of bacon with butter every day.

I suggest that the OP do whatever she wants, but she should not be "reporting" on results of the Fat Fast because that's not what she's doing.

As Kisha has posted, the Fat Fast is almost 100% fat and just 1000 calories--it is very extreme and should be done rarely by people who have significant metabolic challenges. It is not for losing faster or breaking a stall, etc.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-2010, 12:53 PM   #32
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
That's another problem I see with this "scientific experiment." It is not the 'fat fast' at all. Given the macros that the OP listed, it's just another low carb eating pattern. It is neither Atkins nor his Fat Fast.

To call it Atkins' 'Fat Fast' is wrong and misleading to other posters who will assume it's what the Dr. prescribed, and it's not at all. It's like people who assume that "Atkins" means eating a pound of bacon with butter every day.

I suggest that the OP do whatever she wants, but she should not be "reporting" on results of the Fat Fast because that's not what she's doing.
There is really nothing in Atkins that's a "modified Fat Fast" because the Fat Fast is based on specific scientific principles--as is the Atkins plan itself. to 'modifiy' it makes no sense, since it's contents is prescribed for specific reasons.

As Kisha has posted, the Fat Fast is almost 100% fat and just 1000 calories--it is very extreme and should be done rarely by people who have significant metabolic challenges. It is not for losing faster or breaking a stall, etc.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 02:15 PM   #33
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: brandy998
Stats: 5'5" 220/192/140-125??
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: Re-start 5/11/10 202lb
Sorry to confuse, folks. I would have thought the word MODIFIED in capital letters would be enough to indicate that it was not the actual Fat Fast. Furthermore, I posted my calorie totals and indicated that I was eating 1300 calories daily with less than 90% fat. It is also not in any way shape or form an actual scientific experiment which is why I used the word "quasi". One person under extra-laboratory conditions with no control group certainly does not qualify as a valid statistical sample.

Again, to summarize, I used the fat fast as a starting point and customized. I am eating a higher number of calories than what it calls for and my % of fat is slightly less at 86% I am getting 19g protein daily and 11g carbs, mostly from the nuts. I will also continue to take my supplements and have not counted any calories from them. 86% fat is still a higher fat intake ratio than most low-carbers eat daily AND I am restricting calories. The two factors make this different than what I have done before and different than what most people on this board appear to be doing and as such I thought the board might be interested in hearing about it.

I'm grouchy. Gave up coffee today.

Yeah, I'm sure it would taste good, but do I want to wear it for a month?
brandy998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 02:16 PM   #34
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: AngieCakes
Stats: 198/143/135-140
WOE: Atkins/Pre-Maintenance
Start Date: 1/8/2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandy998 View Post
Sorry to confuse, folks. I would have thought the word MODIFIED in capital letters would be enough to indicate that it was not the actual Fat Fast. Furthermore, I posted my calorie totals and indicated that I was eating 1300 calories daily with less than 90% fat. It is also not in any way shape or form an actual scientific experiment which is why I used the word "quasi". One person under extra-laboratory conditions with no control group certainly does not qualify as a valid statistical sample.

Again, to summarize, I used the fat fast as a starting point and customized. I am eating a higher number of calories than what it calls for and my % of fat is slightly less at 86% I am getting 19g protein daily and 11g carbs, mostly from the nuts. I will also continue to take my supplements and have not counted any calories from them. 86% fat is still a higher fat intake ratio than most low-carbers eat daily AND I am restricting calories. The two factors make this different than what I have done before and different than what most people on this board appear to be doing and as such I thought the board might be interested in hearing about it.

I'm grouchy. Gave up coffee today.

Make the plan work for you. I look forward to seeing your results!
AngieCakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 02:18 PM   #35
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cathy77533
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: started again 4/12/2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngieCakes View Post
Make the plan work for you. I look forward to seeing your results!

THIS!!!
cathy77533 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 02:50 PM   #36
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: clanger
Stats: 5' 0" Size 22 / Size 16 / Size 10
WOE: Targeting (70/25/5) ratio
Start Date: Restart: 31st August 2012
I once did a modified version of the fat fast years ago. I have no idea why I did it. I ate nothing but babybel cheese, carefully portioned out into 4 250 calorie chunks, for 3 days (brie was too expensive).

On the 3rd day I was happily driving to a meeting when, all of a sudden, a distant gurgling noise could be heard. The grumbling got louder and louder, until an unavoidable, and highly unfortunate erruption occurred.

Thank goodness I had leather seats.

All I'm saying is beware the potential consequences !

Good luck!

Last edited by clanger; 06-01-2010 at 03:06 PM..
clanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 03:24 PM   #37
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cathy77533
Start Date: started again 4/12/2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by clanger View Post
I once did a modified version of the fat fast years ago. I have no idea why I did it. I ate nothing but babybel cheese, carefully portioned out into 4 250 calorie chunks, for 3 days (brie was too expensive).

On the 3rd day I was happily driving to a meeting when, all of a sudden, a distant gurgling noise could be heard. The grumbling got louder and louder, until an unavoidable, and highly unfortunate erruption occurred.

Good luck!
cathy77533 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 03:41 PM   #38
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: AngieCakes
Stats: 198/143/135-140
WOE: Atkins/Pre-Maintenance
Start Date: 1/8/2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by clanger View Post

Good luck!

WHOA!
AngieCakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 03:45 PM   #39
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: clanger
Stats: 5' 0" Size 22 / Size 16 / Size 10
WOE: Targeting (70/25/5) ratio
Start Date: Restart: 31st August 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngieCakes View Post
WHOA!
I'm sorry, but I felt a moral obligation to advise anybody to proceed with extreme caution, lest there be similarly unfortunate and grave consequences !

And you may laugh, cathy77533 , but it was one of the most fraught days of my life !
clanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 04:06 PM   #40
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: verbqueen
Stats: 224/163
WOE: LC/HF, for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilpirata View Post
The fat fast as written by doctor atkins is NOT protein and fat it is basically FAT ONLY thus the name "Fat Fast" it is meant to be 1000 calories of cream cheese or 1000 calories of macadamia nuts. That is how he wrote it. It is over 90% FAT and only 1000 calories a day.
Actually, the suggested meals as laid out by the Atkins center include chicken or tuna salad, heavy on the mayo, and deviled eggs also heavy on the mayo. So there is definitely some protein included in the plan if you choose certain meals.
verbqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 04:11 PM   #41
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Ilpirata
Quote:
Originally Posted by verbqueen View Post
Actually, the suggested meals as laid out by the Atkins center include chicken or tuna salad, heavy on the mayo, and deviled eggs also heavy on the mayo. So there is definitely some protein included in the plan if you choose certain meals.

actually, that is as laid out by the "atkins center" (which has brought us so much wonderful frankenfood) not as written by dr. atkins in his book.
Ilpirata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 04:24 PM   #42
Blabbermouth!!!

For those who may have an interest in the Fat Fast as laid out by the Atkins Center:

"The Fat Fast is one controlled carb program where you do have to count calories. You'll eat 1,000 calories a day, with 75 percent to 90 percent comprised of fat. Frequent feedings prevent hunger better than three meals a day, so you consume five feedings, perhaps one every four hours, comprising 200 calories each. Because of the high fat content and frequent feedings, very few people experience much hunger. The stumbling block for some people is the absence of conventional meals. But most are willing to stick with it for a few days, even if the food selections are unfulfilling.

Caution: The Fat Fast is actually dangerous for anyone who is not metabolically resistant. For people who lose weight fairly easily, the rate of weight loss is too rapid to be safe. But it carries very little risk for people who can barely lose on any other regimen.

Step One: Eat Mostly Fat Begin with five 200-calorie feedings per day and follow for four or five days. Each item equals approximately 200 calories:

one ounce of macadamia nuts or macadamia nut butter two ounces of cream cheese or Brie one ounce of tuna or chicken salad with two teaspoons of mayonnaise served in one-quarter of an avocado two deviled eggs made with two teaspoons of mayonnaise two ounces of sour cream and two tablespoons black or red caviar two and a half ounces whipped heavy cream topped with sucralose zero-calorie syrup two ounces of pâté (check label for fat content) two egg yolks (hard-boiled) with one tablespoon of mayonnaise

Step Two: Modify the Fat Fast If increasing the fat-to-carbohydrate ratio and cutting calories work, any dietary change in that direction might get the job done. Next, you can try four meals a day of roughly 300 calories for a total of 1,200 calories. That should work, too, and what it allows is definitely more appealing to the taste buds:

two ounces of beef chuck (do not drain fat) cooked in two tablespoons of olive oil two scrambled eggs with two strips of nitrate-free bacon two tablespoons of full-fat sour cream with a tablespoon of sugar-free syrup one-quarter cup chicken or tuna salad made with two tablespoons of mayonnaise three ounces of pâté (check label for fat content) one-and-a-half ounces of macadamia nuts

Step Three: Return to Induction Try the 1,200-calorie regimen for a week, then go back to Induction. Or simply follow the concept of increasing the ratio of fat to protein. No one should have to feel that losing weight is hopeless. Sometimes the key to achieving your goal weight permanently is quite difficult to adhere to, but rarely is it simply impossible."

My (old) HCG Journal

My NEW Journal
Old 06-01-2010, 04:34 PM   #43
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Minnas
Stats: 28/8-10/8-10
WOE: Lost VLC/Now LC/Lower calorie through lower fat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilpirata View Post
actually, that is as laid out by the "atkins center" (which has brought us so much wonderful frankenfood) not as written by dr. atkins in his book.
Yeah, this step 2, step 3 stuff is all new and I have no doubt would not be approved by the good doc. This new stuff is not the fast as Dr. A prescribed it. The original fat fast (step 1) has almost no protein. Seems to me the steps 2 and 3 are merely a transition back to "normal" eating, not the fast itself. At least they did bother to include the part about this being dangerous. I guess I'll give them a point for that.

I tell you, I wish he never would have mentioned this stupid "fast" in his work. It trips more people up than it helps. It's just a disaster IMO. (No offense to the OP. You do what you feel you have to do.)
Minnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 04:38 PM   #44
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Sunny7
subscribing
Sunny7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 04:40 PM   #45
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: CatieTN
Stats: 232/205/175 5'10
WOE: jasonsmithfitness 12 week transformation
Start Date: 10/21/13
I think it's okay to do for a couple days and get in Ketosis again (if you aren't).....what is your plan to re-introduce veggies and more carbs?

Are you exercising?
CatieTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 05:41 PM   #46
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
Again why is it dangerous?

I understand that you might use some muscle for protein but, can you actually deplete the amino acids available in just three days.

To just say that it is dangerous for those not metabolically resistant doesn't tell us anything. It is just repeating that statement over again.

Again WHY?

If we weren't the type of people that did not take info and question it we would not have ever tried low carb and believed.

So again, not being snarky. Just want you to share your info.
drjlocarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 09:31 PM   #47

Dr Atkins is very clear in the book that this is only for those that are so metabolically resistant that they cannot lose weight on a strict induction.

Is this actually dangerous? Who knows... but those of us who have been on this board for years and years have seen the pattern of resorting to extreme measures unecesarilly countless times. TaDa expressed it best so I'll refer back to her post early in this thread.
Old 06-01-2010, 10:11 PM   #48
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mirchi
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjlocarb View Post
Again why is it dangerous?

To just say that it is dangerous for those not metabolically resistant doesn't tell us anything. It is just repeating that statement over again.

Again WHY?
Everyone here (at least those interested in this topic) are following Atkins. So it is not odd that they would "repeat" the statement from the book/doctor they are following, right?

The reason many people say fat-fast could be dangerous/unwise is for the same reasons:

- Dr. Atkins says so
- Evidence has shown time and again the negatives effects (stomach problems, regaining all the wieght after, dizziness, feeling weak etc. Most significant to me is the psychological aspect. Everybody here talks about this becoming a lifestyle, then why do something that has all the makings of a crash diet? When you are NOT metabolically resistant? Not losing weight since May 18th isn't a sign of metabolic resistance IMO.)
- Other research supports it.

If you would like an answer with more scientific literature, you could research it surely to prove it wrong or right.

Maybe the onus should be on the people who want to try this. Do your own research. Prove to yourself if you like that it is NOT dangerous or unwise, and then go ahead and do it.

Last edited by mirchi; 06-01-2010 at 10:24 PM..
mirchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 10:43 PM   #49
Mrs. Robbie Williams

Gallery: hippiegirl
Nothin' like a fat fast thread to bring people together!

OP - out of curiosity, how high is your fat presently? (before mff) Are you around 70% already? Just wondering what the baseline is.

You're obviously a very smart woman, and I trust that you are self-aware enough to not hurt yourself.

Another thought - have you tried to just do meat and eggs? A lot of people have great success with it, and don't seem to have the immediate weight gain when they transition out of it.
hippiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 11:53 PM   #50
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Patlaf
Stats: start 226/178/145
Quote:
Originally Posted by jezzie View Post
[SIZE="3"]OMGosh ..... visions of me eating the tablecloth on day one.

I understand tablecloths have a lot of fiber.

Pat
Patlaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 04:23 AM   #51
Senior LCF Member

Day 1 Summary - Tuesday, 6/1/10

morning weight - 197.5
night weight - 198.5
Weds morning weight - 196

meal 1 - mac nuts
meal 2 - sausage & cream cheese
meal 3 - mac nuts
meal 4 - roasted jalapeno wrapped in bacon w/cream cheese
meal 5 - chocolate amaretto whipped cream (7-10 big teaspoonsful)

For all meals I went by the serving sizes indicated on the package. Had I not overeaten the whipped cream I would have consumed 1260 calories at 86% fat with 19g protein and 11g carbs. However, since I got side-tracked watching Glee while eating the whipped cream I think I probably exceeded that. What I don't know is how to account for the air volume of whipped cream versus the serving size of un-whipped heavy cream. Except for 1 cup unsweetened decaf green tea I drank only water - about 2.5liters. Ketostix is back at the 80 level this morning. Hunger level was bearable. I was satisfied after each mini-meal, but by the time 3 hours had passed I was READY to eat again. I had a headache later in the afternoon but I'm chalking that up to the removal of coffee rather than the WOE. I also had a bit of an emotional meltdown with my daughter over the state of the house, but again, I'm chalking that up to lack of coffee rather than food.
Old 06-02-2010, 08:54 AM   #52

Gallery: fawn
You might try Tyrosine for those coffee headaches Brandy. It's an amino acid that can help you with caffeine withdrawal.
fawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 06:51 PM   #53
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Stats: 254/223/152
WOE: lc
Start Date: 1/2014
Quote:
Day 1 Summary - Tuesday, 6/1/10

morning weight - 197.5
night weight - 198.5
Weds morning weight - 196

meal 1 - mac nuts
meal 2 - sausage & cream cheese
meal 3 - mac nuts
meal 4 - roasted jalapeno wrapped in bacon w/cream cheese
meal 5 - chocolate amaretto whipped cream (7-10 big teaspoonsful)

For all meals I went by the serving sizes indicated on the package. Had I not overeaten the whipped cream I would have consumed 1260 calories at 86% fat with 19g protein and 11g carbs. However, since I got side-tracked watching Glee while eating the whipped cream I think I probably exceeded that. What I don't know is how to account for the air volume of whipped cream versus the serving size of un-whipped heavy cream. Except for 1 cup unsweetened decaf green tea I drank only water - about 2.5liters. Ketostix is back at the 80 level this morning. Hunger level was bearable. I was satisfied after each mini-meal, but by the time 3 hours had passed I was READY to eat again. I had a headache later in the afternoon but I'm chalking that up to the removal of coffee rather than the WOE. I also had a bit of an emotional meltdown with my daughter over the state of the house, but again, I'm chalking that up to lack of coffee rather than food.
I often had that question about the whipping cream and now just use sugar free cool whip instead for all my stuf that calls for whipping cream...I wish you much luck on this....I get alot of slack on my woe eating also, less than 5 carbs daily, less than 800 calories daily, only meat and eggs...You have to do what is right for YOU and YOUR BODY....good luck....I hope you succeed and get the results your reaching for, I know I sure have and will continue to do so for a lifetime...
Missouri_Librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 06:54 PM   #54
Blabbermouth!!!

go, Brandy! You're off to a nice start.
Old 06-02-2010, 07:32 PM   #55
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
Brandy, what did you do for day 2 ?
drjlocarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 02:47 AM   #56

Gallery: lisabinil
Stats: 287/Restart 206/177/160 5'6"
WOE: Healthy Carb for Optimum Health
Start Date: 2/4/10
I just read on another thread you posted you haven't had a bm in 2 weeks. This is also a factor in the scale not going down for you.
lisabinil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 03:04 AM   #57
Senior LCF Member

Day 2 Wednesday, June 2 - Summary

morning weight - 196
night weight - 197
Thurs morning weight - 195.5

I am thinking about food a lot - some definite obsessive thought patterns. Will be VERY glad to return to Atkins '72!! I am THIRSTY. I've been drinking plenty of water and I am not diabetic. The only idea I had is that if my rate of fat burning is accelerated and I am producing more ketones - would that make me thirstier? Couldn't get warm in the middle of the night - hubby had pillows between us and was facing me so I couldn't spoon and get warm LOL. Anyway, I was awake from about 1:30am until 3:30am. Then I woke up at 5:45am. Would I have lost more if I had slept more? Thankfully I am out of coffee because as tired as I am right now I would be seriously tempted to drink some!

Food summary
Meal 1 - 1 serving cream cheese with 3 slices bacon
Meal 2 - roasted jalapeno with 1 serving crm cheese and 1 slice bacon
Meal 3 - mac nuts
Meal 4 - 2 roasted jalapeno peppers and 2g carb from miniature dill pickles (I was starving)
Meal 5 - whipped cream

Last edited by brandy998; 06-03-2010 at 03:06 AM..
Old 06-03-2010, 09:46 AM   #58

When you are doing a deeply ketogenic diet you are supposed to drink way more water.
Old 06-03-2010, 11:04 AM   #59

Gallery: fawn
Sounds like your body is not happy.
fawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 04:15 PM   #60
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Stats: 254/223/152
WOE: lc
Start Date: 1/2014
Quote:
Day 2 Wednesday, June 2 - Summary

morning weight - 196
night weight - 197
Thurs morning weight - 195.5

I am thinking about food a lot - some definite obsessive thought patterns. Will be VERY glad to return to Atkins '72!! I am THIRSTY. I've been drinking plenty of water and I am not diabetic. The only idea I had is that if my rate of fat burning is accelerated and I am producing more ketones - would that make me thirstier? Couldn't get warm in the middle of the night - hubby had pillows between us and was facing me so I couldn't spoon and get warm LOL. Anyway, I was awake from about 1:30am until 3:30am. Then I woke up at 5:45am. Would I have lost more if I had slept more? Thankfully I am out of coffee because as tired as I am right now I would be seriously tempted to drink some!

Food summary
Meal 1 - 1 serving cream cheese with 3 slices bacon
Meal 2 - roasted jalapeno with 1 serving crm cheese and 1 slice bacon
Meal 3 - mac nuts
Meal 4 - 2 roasted jalapeno peppers and 2g carb from miniature dill pickles (I was starving)
Meal 5 - whipped cream
As someone who has ate less than 5 carbs daily since 2/1/10 I am always thirsty and my sleep patterns are pretty much like yours...seems like I never sleep and am so full of energy ( am driving hubby crazy)....
Missouri_Librarian is offline   Reply With Quote