LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2010, 01:33 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jojoshops
Stats: 198/184/145
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 02/16/2006
Atkins bars during induction?

Hi, I am on day 3 of induction. Got my "t o m" this morning and have been struggling all day with serious chocolate cravings and a headache. I know you are only supposed to eat meats, cheese, eggs, and leafy green vegetables during the induction phase, but I am seriously considering going to Publix and picking up a package of double stuffed oreos!

I received a free box of samples from atkins including a carb counter book (very handy). I was looking at the atkins bars, and two of them states "for all phases" on the back of the bar. The other one states "phases 2, 3, and 4" on the back. My question is, would it be safe to one of eat the atkins bar while in the induction phase (Atkins Advantage Caramel Fudge Brownie Bar) or would it throw me off track? And please don't tell me to "read the book" lol. I noticed that is a common answer to questions, lol. I did have the book many years ago, and I did read it, but I gave the book away a long time ago. I really don't have any desire to go spend $25 on the book and read it all over again.

Any advice would be appreciated.

PS - I hope I didn't sound b*tchy, having severe mood swings today. I cried when I dropped my deviled egg on the floor this morning.

. . . .

[COLOR=Magenta]Jogging is good for your heart, but it makes your feet mad![/COLOR]

[COLOR=Purple]The older you get the harder it is to lose weight, because by then
your body and your fat have become good friends.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=DarkOrchid]Nothing tastes as good as being thin feels[/COLOR].
jojoshops is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-2010, 01:53 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ThisTime!
Stats: 324/261/199 (weighed 350+ in 2005)
WOE: Upping carbs to 30, cals to 1800
Start Date: 03/01/2010
My advice would be to stick it out if you can--if you can't, then try it and see. And I really mean that--try it and see. We are all so different, that it could work okay for you. And many of the bars do say "for all phases," so if you use one during induction that says for all phases, then I assume that means induction and no one should flame you or slam you and say you aren't following induction. Good luck to you whichever path you should choose!
ThisTime! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 02:06 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: brandy998
Stats: 5'5" 220/192/140-125??
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: Re-start 5/11/10 202lb
Hi,
I love the Atkins shakes and that coconut bar is really good! Unfortunately they stall me out. If you are using the ketostix to test with then you will be able to see immediately whether or not they are going to inhibit your weight loss or not. Many people have experienced the same problem with them for the induction phase. I hope it works for you! It certainly is nice to have a wider variety of choices.
Good luck!
brandy998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 02:19 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Tori
Stats: 5'10 223/185/170
WOE: WWPP - Gluten free
Start Date: March 13, 2010/Jan 2, 2013
The book says you can use them during induction. It's really an individual thing. Some people do okay with them, some seem to not lose weight. My hubby eats one at work almost every day and is doing great on his loss! I have eaten 3 or 4 of the bars and had a few shakes also during induction and lost 14 lbs during that time. It normally won't kick you out of ketosis but may slow your loss. There are other things like the coconut bark or maybe some whipped up heavy cream with a touch of splenda and a half teaspoon of unsweetened cocoa powder (not sure about cocoa on induction ) ....I'd say to experiment with the bars. One bar during TOM doesn't seem to hazardous

~ Your past does not equal, nor does it dictate, your future ~

One definition of insanity is: Doing the same thing again and again and expecting a different result.
Tori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 02:22 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: micheleredit
Stats: 153/148/105
WOE: Ketogenic (high fat,low carb)
Start Date: April 4th, 2014
"I hope I didn't sound b*tchy, having severe mood swings today. I cried when I dropped my deviled egg on the floor this morning. "

I feel your pain. This is my first week back on program as well. My blood sugars have been dropping a LOT and I caved a few times and ate processed carbs. It's not worth it. Just finish out the week. You'll be hungry a LOT but don't even worry about the weight loss this week just get through the detox. IT's been hard on me too. I go between sleeping, being on the computer and eating. Good thing I have 3 days off work!!! Back to work tomorrow. I am sure I am going to have to rely on the coffee a LOT.
You can do this. Just get through this week!!!
micheleredit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 02:28 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mom2crzyboyz
Stats: 196/157/150 5'9"
WOE: Low-Carb/Atkins
Start Date: 1/1/10
I used them all through induction and I have lost a good amount of weight. They did stall me a little at times but it was MUCH better than gaining by eating something full of carbs. I only used them during pms time not at any other time. It really helped me with the cravings. I put the peanut butter bars in the freezer and they are delicious. Otherwise I made the cheesecake muffins and ate those thru tom.
mom2crzyboyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 04:58 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Thanks everyone. I ended up taking two bites of the atkins bar and it seemed to kill the craving (maybe because it wasn't very good, lol). Anyhow, still have the headache but I always get a bad headache when I get my t o m.

hanging in there. . . .

Old 05-24-2010, 05:00 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: brandy998
Stats: 5'5" 220/192/140-125??
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: Re-start 5/11/10 202lb
It has been posted on here to drink cups of broth at lunch and dinner to help with the induction flu - supposedly it's related to your sodium intake. It did help me.
brandy998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 05:13 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: HotMommy
Stats: 5'8 175/127/120-133
WOE: LC primal
Start Date: About 5 years ago
Some people have weight loss stalls when they eat the Atkins Bars. Some people don't, though, it depends on how well you tolerate them! I know some people who eat them everyday and lose weight just fine. I wouldn't recommend that, though, it's an expensive habit and unneccesary for the WOE.
But, if you must try taking an Atkins bar and cutting it up into small pieces, and freezing them. Then just popping one piece into your mouth whenever the craving hits. It makes it last longer!
Eventually it's a good idea to lose the craving for sweets (by avioding them all together) but, if you have the option between choosing oreo's or an atkins bar choose the atkins bar!!
Old 05-24-2010, 05:19 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotMommy View Post
But, if you must try taking an Atkins bar and cutting it up into small pieces, and freezing them. Then just popping one piece into your mouth whenever the craving hits.
Yeah, I read this someone else on these boards too. I took the other bar and did just that. Just in case. . . . However, I don't plan to include the bars in my way of eating. I was just having a serious chocolate craving, but then again, hubby always buys me chocolate for my t o m. I had to remind him not to this time around. He actually bought me some lindt chocolate truffles on his way home from work today and I told him not to bring them in the house!!! LOL. So, he ate them on his drive home. "My Hero!" It's all good though. He is in perfect shape without an ounce of fat on his body. He's all muscles and he eats like a horse!