LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2010, 05:49 PM   #1
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Lori37
Stats: 310/215/180
WOE: Modified low carb
Start Date: 6/1/2010
Can't lose weight!

Its hard to stay motivated when your body just won't budge!
Its been 6 weeks of working out 5-6 days a week for anywhere from 1hour to 3 hours a day. Counting calories, I mostly eat, chicken, turkey, veggies, fruit, Brown rice and whole grains. And all I've lost is 6 lbs! For some people that might be great at 1lb a week, but I was almost 300lbs when I started and should be losing much more rapidly right now.
People keep telling me "maybe you're losing inches instead of pounds" but all my clothes are still tight.
*sigh*
My goal was to lose about 60lbs by the end of the year, so we can start working on a family.
Thinking about switching back to Low Carb for a while to see if that helps (DH hates when I do LC because of the lack of Fruit)
What do you do to keep motivated when the scale won't budge?
People keep bringing up that maybe I'm having thyroid issues...it does run in my family.
http://lorivsjourneytohealth.blogspot.com/
Lori37 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-2010, 05:52 PM   #2
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Get a good doctor and get a good check-up. I will say this, though. Brown rice and whole grains will cause me to stall out completely. I suggest you start again. Find the way you want to do LC and stick to it, to the letter. Journal and track of EVERY SINGLE THING that goes in your mouth. I had to do this when I was stalled for almost as long as you were. I started tracking and realized I was eating WAY too many calories, not enough fat and protein. I can eat at a higher carb level, but if my fats and proteins don't almost balance with my carbs for the day, I stall or even gain weight.

Don't give up, just keep trying. All of us have the same issues until we find what works for us. HTH!

A man asked Gautama Buddha, "I want happiness." Buddha said, "First remove "I," that's Ego, then remove "want," that's Desire. See now you are left with only "Happiness.”

Last edited by Beeb; 05-18-2010 at 05:56 PM..
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 05:56 PM   #3

Hopefully I'll have health insurance soon!
Old 05-18-2010, 05:56 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: goose1
Stats: 229/193.2/166.4/140
WOE: lchf
Start Date: Jan 02/14
You should get your thyroid checked. When I was eating low fat and exercising 3-4 hrs a week, I would only loose about .5 lbs a week. I now do low carb, I'm still losing very slowly but I'm not exercising like a freak anymore. I just walk for an hour a day.
goose1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 05:57 PM   #5

Gallery: lisabinil
Stats: 287/Restart 206/177/160 5'6"
WOE: Healthy Carb for Optimum Health
Start Date: 2/4/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori37 View Post
Its hard to stay motivated when your body just won't budge!
Its been 6 weeks of working out 5-6 days a week for anywhere from 1hour to 3 hours a day. Counting calories, I mostly eat, chicken, turkey, veggies, fruit, Brown rice and whole grains. And all I've lost is 6 lbs! For some people that might be great at 1lb a week, but I was almost 300lbs when I started and should be losing much more rapidly right now.
People keep telling me "maybe you're losing inches instead of pounds" but all my clothes are still tight.
*sigh*
My goal was to lose about 60lbs by the end of the year, so we can start working on a family.
Thinking about switching back to Low Carb for a while to see if that helps (DH hates when I do LC because of the lack of Fruit)
People keep bringing up that maybe I'm having thyroid issues...it does run in my family.

Lc does and can include fruit. I would definitely get checked for metabolic problems. The scale didn't budge for me for almost 3 years due to thyroid problems-worst period I have ever went thru as my posts here at LCF showed. Have a checkup it might help you figure things out-the sticky at the top of the thyroid forum is a good read. 3 hours a day is really a lot of exercise with no losses of lbs or inches-that's a symptom of a metabolic issue right there. I use the GoWearFit by Body Media to help me track my eating and calorie burn.
Old 05-18-2010, 06:00 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: miggsmacall
Stats: 317/302/169
WOE: HCG
Start Date: August 2005 (LC)-March 2014 WW
This is my exact problem. I have a hard time losing, too, and unlike many others I don't feel great when I really low carb. Have you ever thought about dropping the grains and replacing them with more veggies and lower sugar fruits (like apples and berries as opposed to bananas.)?

I don't know about you but I'm at a really high weight because of insulin resistance and I know eating rice and whole grains don't do me any favors. Plus they make me more likely to just take a bite here and there of other things.

I'm sorry. I know what it's like to work really hard (and it is REALLY hard at any weight but I think much harder to deal with slow weight loss when you have 150 to lose and not 30). I would like to TTC soon, as well, and am really stuck with the weight loss thing.

I'm sure many will chime in for you to go to a doctor and have them check for thyroid, PCOS, etc. and you should take that advice.
miggsmacall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 06:14 PM   #7

I have this awesome app on my iPhone that I use to track all my calories and exercise. It also tells me how many calories I should be eating to lose weight at a healthy rate. Its a pretty neat tool.

A typical dinner for us is Chicken breast cooked in Salsa, brown rice and veggies.
I think I'll try cutting out the whole grains for a while.
Old 05-18-2010, 06:26 PM   #8

Quote:
I have this awesome app on my iPhone that I use to track all my calories and exercise. It also tells me how many calories I should be eating to lose weight at a healthy rate. Its a pretty neat tool.

A typical dinner for us is Chicken breast cooked in Salsa, brown rice and veggies.
I think I'll try cutting out the whole grains for a while.
The GoWearFit is different than an app. Have you heard of the Body Bug-this a cheaper but similiar device. It tells you what you actually burn with a 10-15% discrepancy rate compared to the 30% discrepancy rate of HRMS and other exercise equipment.

BodyMedia FIT Weight Loss System from the Makers of GoWear fit

The Bodybugg/GoWear Fit | BodyRecomposition - The Home of Lyle McDonald
lisabinil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 06:31 PM   #9

Yeah my gym pushes the bodybugg and I watch the biggest loser so I know all about it! I can't afford the $200 it cost right now, been working on earning one free from my gym. My iPhone app was free.
Old 05-18-2010, 06:32 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jamiernd2
Stats: BIG
WOE: <20
had the same problem.
dr said i wasnt eating enough
jamiernd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 06:34 PM   #11

I'm at 1800 calories a day right now. I go slightly higher one day a week to boost my metabolism.
Old 05-18-2010, 06:41 PM   #12
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: teri f
Stats: 203/127/125
WOE: High fat VLC
Start Date: Original start: January 3, 2001. Restart 6/18/2007
Fructose and grains keep my insulin levels whacked out and make it impossible for me to lose weight. Might be something to look at.
teri f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 06:50 PM   #13

FYI I had the same exact problem last year when I did very strict Low Carb from Jan-May.

and earlier this year I did a religious fast where all I could eat was Beans, brown rice, fruits, veggies and nuts....and I LOST 18lbs in 3 weeks. Maybe I'll allergic to meat..LOL jk
Old 05-18-2010, 06:52 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: PhillyDude
Stats: 240/237/165
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 1st time 11/2006. Lost 41 lbs. Restart 1/7/2013
I agree with Linda, watch the brown rice and whole grains - they can be a spoiler.
PhillyDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 06:53 PM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ljguitar
Stats: 350++/under 240/wherever 30 net carbs a day leads
WOE: 30 net carbs a day or less...unclean eating
Start Date: August 2008
Quote:
...Thinking about switching back to Low Carb for a while to see if that helps (DH hates when I do LC because of the lack of Fruit)
Hi Lori…
I eat low carb, and my loving wife does not. She has all the fruit she wants, and I don't have any but an occasional 1/2 cup strawberries in a smoothy.

Is there something connecting your way of eating to your husband's?

ljguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 06:54 PM   #16

Gallery: fawn
In your avi it says 51%+Raw. Is that your carb ratio?

Why don't you give a good round of clean induction a try with limited dairy and if that doesn't shake things up for you, get some testing done.
Are you insulin resistant?
I'm not insulin resistant and I could never eat grains/brown rice daily and lose weight.
fawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 06:58 PM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tulipsandroses
Stats: 206/160/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 2010
I'm no expert, but eating brown rice and fruit - 1800 cals and sometimes more per day, losing 1 pound per week seems decent to me. Even in my younger days when I lost "easily", it took drastically reducing my calories to 1000-1200 coupled with intense exercise to lose 3-5 pounds per week.
tulipsandroses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 06:59 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: miggsmacall
Stats: 317/302/169
WOE: HCG
Start Date: August 2005 (LC)-March 2014 WW
Fawn- sorry to cut in but I just posted something about not feeling well eating higher fats.

I get sick on induction- not induction flu like- but just sick. What is a person supposed to do when everything in their minds tells them they need to eat a higher fat diet with low carbs but their body doesn't follow the higher fat suit? I've looked at your website and love the information!
miggsmacall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 07:05 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post

Is there something connecting your way of eating to your husband's?

Hubby eats mostly what I eat, since I cook. Thats about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fawn View Post
In your avi it says 51%+Raw. Is that your carb ratio?
NO I saw an awesome documentary called Food Matters and was trying to eat a mostly Raw Diet.

Why don't you give a good round of clean induction a try with limited dairy and if that doesn't shake things up for you, get some testing done.
Are you insulin resistant? I Dunno
I'm not insulin resistant and I could never eat grains/brown rice daily and lose weight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulipsandroses View Post
I'm no expert, but eating brown rice and fruit - 1800 cals and sometimes more per day, losing 1 pound per week seems decent to me. Even in my younger days when I lost "easily", it took drastically reducing my calories to 1000-1200 coupled with intense exercise to lose 3-5 pounds per week.
1lb per week is decent when you weigh around 200lbs or less, but I'm at 300lbs and you should lose faster if you weigh more. Up until last year, anytime I "dieted" I lost 10lbs the first week easily, then averaged 3-6lbs a week after that. And I had a much lower starting weight then. These changes in my ability to lose weight have come on in the last year or two.
Old 05-18-2010, 07:13 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jamiernd2
Stats: BIG
WOE: <20
dr told me to shoot for 2800 to 3000 per day!!
but i havent really listened to him to much, lol
jamiernd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 07:27 PM   #21

Here's an interesting article by Lyle McDonald on this subject. If a 30% deficit isn't causing weight loss he suggests medical testing.

Not Losing Fat at 20% Deficit, What Should I do? - Q&A | BodyRecomposition - The Home of Lyle McDonald
lisabinil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 07:39 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: brandy998
Stats: 5'5" 220/192/140-125??
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: Re-start 5/11/10 202lb
Lori I'm sorry you're struggling - I know how frustrating that can be. It sounds like from what you described that your WOE is closer to South Beach than Atkins. If you are interested in doing a true low carb WOE then you might consider Atkins '72. If you simply do not like the food on a true low carb plan, then I can certainly understand your reluctance to try it. However, if you like that type of food, then statistically it would be extremely unusual for a clean, 0% carb week-long induction to NOT result in weight loss. As someone said in another thread, SOMEBODY has to be the 1%, but statistically you have a 99% chance not to be. I wish you the best of luck in sorting this out. Nothing is more upsetting than a plan that isn't getting you where you want to go.

Yeah, I'm sure it would taste good, but do I want to wear it for a month?
brandy998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 07:57 PM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sunnie71
Stats: -47 pounds and many more to go!
WOE: LC and Breastfeeding
I am struggling too.Turns out I wasn't eating enough even though I was eating 1500 cals. You need to eat within 500 cals of your BMR. I would increase calories and cut out all processed foods before I went to the doctor and spent a bunch of money. I increased to 1900-2000 and dropped a couple pounds today.
Sunnie71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 09:03 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandy998 View Post
Lori I'm sorry you're struggling - I know how frustrating that can be. It sounds like from what you described that your WOE is closer to South Beach than Atkins. If you are interested in doing a true low carb WOE then you might consider Atkins '72. If you simply do not like the food on a true low carb plan, then I can certainly understand your reluctance to try it. However, if you like that type of food, then statistically it would be extremely unusual for a clean, 0% carb week-long induction to NOT result in weight loss. As someone said in another thread, SOMEBODY has to be the 1%, but statistically you have a 99% chance not to be. I wish you the best of luck in sorting this out. Nothing is more upsetting than a plan that isn't getting you where you want to go.
I haven't been trying to eat Low carb, just been trying to eat healthy whole/natural foods. I've been eating very little processed foods.
And Last year I did a very strict atkins and had the same problem, but I will give it another try this year!
Old 05-18-2010, 09:07 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisabinil View Post
Here's an interesting article by Lyle McDonald on this subject. If a 30% deficit isn't causing weight loss he suggests medical testing.

Not Losing Fat at 20% Deficit, What Should I do? - Q&A | BodyRecomposition - The Home of Lyle McDonald
Interesting site! Thanks!
Old 05-18-2010, 11:20 PM   #26
Do you know your CCLL?

Gallery: 2bflawless
Just my .02

Prior to having my DD3, I was able to maintain my weight and whenever I needed to lose weight, low fat, low calories would always do the trick.

After having DD3, I could not lose on low fat, low cal, weight watchers, the Special K diet, Protein Sparing Modified Fast, fasting, Ediets, Jenny Craig, NOTHING. And I was a runner and am a weight lifter!

Out of desperation I tried Atkins after my mother told me how her dear friend lost 100#'s on it. So I grabbed the book and read it and did it to the letter. I lost 30# in 3 months.

Clearly, I had developed severe insulin resistance and the only way to lose was to ditch the foods that were causing it. I thank God for Atkins because it led me to discover that not only was I insulin resistant but I was a full blown diabetic.

Atkins helped me control my eating and I was able to lose weight without ever being hungry. I eat plenty and keep losing. All the other diets I had been in my life always required "portion control" or some sort of deprivation.

Just a thought, maybe you are so insulin resistant no matter how hard you work out or watch your calories you can't lose because of WHAT you are eating. I know that no matter how hard I work out I can not lose if I ate grains or over my carb limit even if I slash calories. I know because I tried, Atkins is the only thing that works for me now.

I hope you find what works for you.
2bflawless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 12:22 AM   #27
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Blondie Baby
Stats: 213/126/130
WOE: JUDDD with LC
Quote:
I haven't been trying to eat Low carb, just been trying to eat healthy whole/natural foods. I've been eating very little processed foods.
And Last year I did a very strict atkins and had the same problem, but I will give it another try this year!
Yeah I was doing that and even though I worked out intensely 5 days a week I GAINED weight - and no it wasn't muscle! It wasn't until I went back to strict induction Feb 1st that I started losing again! As long as I keep my carbs low, even when I have to miss workouts I average a loss of 1kg a week.
Blondie Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 02:35 AM   #28
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
My situation is not yours, but I thought I'd share. I began at about 340 lbs, but I had even more difficulty losing than you're having. I was eating generic low carb at about 1200 calories a day and losing about a half pound a week on average.

A doctor referred me to a nutritionist told me that I needed to eat 1800 cal a day. I told her I'd gain on that amount, and she told me that the 'charts' all said that's what I needed. I tried it her way--and gained rapidly.

I later discovered that I was hypothyroid, but even with medication, I lost only a pound a week, and that was a struggle. But my feeling is that you have to play the hand you're dealt, and I'm now 177, and trying to lose about 12 more lbs.

My point is that you can't go by the calculators that tell you how much you can/should eat. Every person is unique, and you have to find your optimum deficit by trial and error.

I also could not lose with any grains or fruit, so I'd suggest you try strict low carb. Surely you can have fruit in the house for your husband?

Moreover, weight loss is at least 90% what you put in your mouth, so don't assume that working out will result in loss. In fact, if you are hypo, you could be stressing your body too much with your workouts. Too much exercise makes hypo worse because of the stress to the body.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 05:55 AM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lwcrbldy
Stats: 5'1", 34yrs: 135/117/112
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: 2/2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
Moreover, weight loss is at least 90% what you put in your mouth, so don't assume that working out will result in loss. In fact, if you are hypo, you could be stressing your body too much with your workouts. Too much exercise makes hypo worse because of the stress to the body.
I agree with Leo, your food and calorie count seem fine... if you are into low carb you may want to lose the rice and fruit because they are packed with carbs-- if you combine these items with high fat foods- eaten at the same time, in the same meal- then insulin is more likely to store every carb as well as fat AS more fat on your body. In that case, it might be a case of insulin resistence, too. In this same line... with every gram of stored carbohydrate as glycogen, 3-4 grams of water are also stored in order to metabolize the carbs/glycogen-- thus you retain water.

Also, If you work out strenuously 5 days a week for over an hour you body does not have time to completely recouperate after your workouts... thus you are catabolizing (eating up, destroying) the very muscle you're trying to build. Along with this type of physical stress comes water retention also. In order for your muscles to rebuild and grow stronger, they first absorb large quantities of water to immerse the worked-out muscle with the nutrients (vitamins, minerals, amino acids) it needs to rebuild - that's why we're sore after a good workout. The muscle then absorbs these nutrients during its healing process and once completed, the excess water is released, the tightness and soreness resolve, and the water balance in the body returns to normal. If you don't allow this time in between workout sessions for your muscle to heal, you're only hampering this process and you continue to retain water as you continue to work-out the muscle.

I've found 3 training sessions per week, for no more than 30-45 minutes per session is enough to create significant body changes and increase muscle mass... especially if you do High Intensity workouts- but if you're hypo it may cause more stress than regular cardio workouts. HI utilizes more carbs/glycogen than lower intensity aerobic workouts which might aggravate hypo symptoms. But ultimately, 3 days a week is enough, the other days should be reserved for light exercises like leisurely walking or gardening. Let those muscles rebuild, heal, and grow stronger! On the days you do work out, go for the gold and really focus on good form and getting those muscles work-out well. But building strength comes: 1st from working those muscles out, and 2ndly from letting them heal to grow stronger!

So I agree with those that said you might be experiencing insulin resistance (rice and fruits may seem healthy but for some people it's not what they need- especially combined with higher fat foods), hypoglycemia- especially if you work out strenuously for prolonged periods of time, and/or too much prolonged physical stress on the body might be causing excess water retention due to the body trying to heal itself and grow stronger.

Every lifestyle needs to be personalized... just keep tweaking. Life is a perpetual work in progress! Best of luck hon!
Restart: 2/9/2013; 117lbs
Goal: 110-112lbs!
lwcrbldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 07:42 AM   #30
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwcrbldy View Post
I agree with Leo, your food and calorie count seem fine... if you are into low carb you may want to lose the rice and fruit because they are packed with carbs-- if you combine these items with high fat foods- eaten at the same time, in the same meal- then insulin is more likely to store every carb as well as fat AS more fat on your body. In that case, it might be a case of insulin resistence, too. In this same line... with every gram of stored carbohydrate as glycogen, 3-4 grams of water are also stored in order to metabolize the carbs/glycogen-- thus you retain water.

Also, If you work out strenuously 5 days a week for over an hour you body does not have time to completely recouperate after your workouts... thus you are catabolizing (eating up, destroying) the very muscle you're trying to build. Along with this type of physical stress comes water retention also. In order for your muscles to rebuild and grow stronger, they first absorb large quantities of water to immerse the worked-out muscle with the nutrients (vitamins, minerals, amino acids) it needs to rebuild - that's why we're sore after a good workout. The muscle then absorbs these nutrients during its healing process and once completed, the excess water is released, the tightness and soreness resolve, and the water balance in the body returns to normal. If you don't allow this time in between workout sessions for your muscle to heal, you're only hampering this process and you continue to retain water as you continue to work-out the muscle.

I've found 3 training sessions per week, for no more than 30-45 minutes per session is enough to create significant body changes and increase muscle mass... especially if you do High Intensity workouts- but if you're hypo it may cause more stress than regular cardio workouts. HI utilizes more carbs/glycogen than lower intensity aerobic workouts which might aggravate hypo symptoms. But ultimately, 3 days a week is enough, the other days should be reserved for light exercises like leisurely walking or gardening. Let those muscles rebuild, heal, and grow stronger! On the days you do work out, go for the gold and really focus on good form and getting those muscles work-out well. But building strength comes: 1st from working those muscles out, and 2ndly from letting them heal to grow stronger!

So I agree with those that said you might be experiencing insulin resistance (rice and fruits may seem healthy but for some people it's not what they need- especially combined with higher fat foods), hypoglycemia- especially if you work out strenuously for prolonged periods of time, and/or too much prolonged physical stress on the body might be causing excess water retention due to the body trying to heal itself and grow stronger.

Every lifestyle needs to be personalized... just keep tweaking. Life is a perpetual work in progress! Best of luck hon!
GREAT POST......GREAT INFORMATION!!
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote