LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2010, 08:38 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Twinkie
Stats: 206/194/155
WOE: Atkins/Stillman
Start Date: February 1, 2011
Stillman / Atkins

Ok, here's my question. My doctor recently told me to do the Stillman Quick Weight Loss program. I did Atkins a long time ago but never followed thru with OWL and gained back. Who has done Stillman and/or Atkins and what is the biggest difference. I am asking because Stillman QWL is VERY strict and I have 60lbs to lose. I don't want to restrict myself so severly that I stop doing it all together but I want to follow doctors instruction too. Quess what I'm asking is has anyone done Stillman QWL but then modified it with Atkins. A nice middle of the road induction? If so, How and did you continue to lose weight doing so. Example, this morning I had my eggs. Stillman said that's it no turkey bacon or turkey sausage even though it's a lean meat. Adding a few varieties occassionally I wonder if it will make a huge impact or stall me?? I am doing this forever so I know that induction or Stillmans QWL is only temporary for a jump start. I don't plan on doing this as a DIET. Therefore, I am looking for ways to help me enjoy the journey without being so STUCK on the rules of you can have/ you can't have ..........Sorry for rambling. I go back to work tommorow and work retail and it's hard to stop for breaks. I just want to be prepared so I can be successful for the last time! Thanks

"God Made Me On Purpose!"
Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-2010, 08:42 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: MarcyDarcy
Stats: 195/180/173 goal: 135 or maybe lower
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: November 2009
I read your other posts about this and want to wish you great success. I am curious as to your doctor's reasons for wanting you to start with Stillman. It sounded like you wanted to work toward being on Atkins. (I may have this wrong, if so, please forgive). So, is there a reason you couldn't just start out on Atkins?
MarcyDarcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 08:47 AM   #3
something there

Gallery: cleochatra
Stats: 364/233/125 5'5" [44]
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: August 31, 2012
IIRC, Stillman's is low fat, and Atkins is high fat.

You might be someone who needs a low-fat plan, or your doctor believes low fat is better.
cleochatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 08:53 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Thanks, he didn't say why and I didn't ask because at the time he didn't explain all the details. He gave me the handout and said it's a very strict low carb program. I told him that I had done Atkins induction and lost 40lbs but never changed how I ate and ended up gaining it all back. He didn't say anything. I guess I could do Stillman's but they when I am needing more on certain days, add a small piece of cheese or a slice of bacon. I just want this to work and am wanting to be informed. I thought if there was someone who did both they could help me by giving me idea's that go middle of the road. You guys are great. Thanks for responding. I will get there I know and not get discouraged. I just turned forty and told my hubby that I will be fabulous at forty!
Old 05-09-2010, 08:55 AM   #5
something there

Gallery: cleochatra
Stats: 364/233/125 5'5" [44]
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: August 31, 2012
You will be fab at forty! I am 40, too. Work it! I have a fondness for the retro diets and am an Atkins '72 girl. I liked 2002 fine, but appreciate the earlier form of Atkins.
cleochatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 09:08 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Inglorious
Stats: 198.8/155.0/150.0
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 1/12/2010
I've lost 35 pounds since the middle of January on Atkins, although I stayed on the <20 total carbs plan for a long time and only recently moved up to ~25 total carbs. I don't know how quick you consider that, but I think it's pretty good. And I feel good, too, and rarely ever hungry except a bit at meal times.
Inglorious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 12:54 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Minnas
Stats: 28/8-10/8-10
WOE: Lost VLC/Now LC/Lower calorie through lower fat
I'm shocked that a doc today would recommend this plan to you and I imagine if you went to 10 other docs they would roll their eyes and tell you NOT do to Stillmans. If you aren't comfortable with your doc's suggestion you need to tell him so. He works for you and ultimately you make the decisions about what is right for you and what is not. If it doesn't sound right or feel right then listen to that voice.

Having said that what about a combination of the two? You could do Stillman's for 2 weeks then go to Atkins for a couple of weeks then back to Stillman's? Or do Stillman's until you start to feel to restricted or unhappy then switch to Atkins until you feel ready to go with Stillman's again? Point is it doesn't have to be an either/or proposition. Stillman's is a very difficult plan to follow for any given period of time so if you decide to do it just make sure it's only for short periods of time or you will repeat the past and ultimately fail. Sometimes these "cycling" type plans can work well for people so maybe this is something for you to consider?
Minnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 01:56 PM   #8
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
I agree with Minnas about your doctor--I'm shocked that any doctor would recommend Stillman.

And why would you accept his suggestion without asking why he's recommending it? I don't ever follow my doctors' recommendations unless I know their reasoning--and I'm the most compliant patient in the world because I don't leave unless I'm satisfied that we're on the same page in terms of whatever the doctor is recommending.

I would ask my doctor why he wants me to do Stillman's rather than Atkins or Protein Power before I just started the program.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 05:30 AM   #9
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: teri f
Stats: 203/127/125
WOE: High fat VLC
Start Date: Original start: January 3, 2001. Restart 6/18/2007
For me, taking nutritional advice advice from my doctor, or any doctor who hasn't taken the time to really educate themselves about nutrition, is like going to a plumber for a dental consultation. It doesn't make any sense to me at all. I consider myself a well educated, well read person who is responsible for my own health and well being. I followed the advice of doctors for a long time and found myself in pretty poor health and very overweight. I bought into the whole "take this pill and you will get better" deal. Just recently I've been diagnosed with a problem I was quite sure I had but one my own PCP kept saying, "your blood work is perfect". I thought I was crazy for awhile. Turns out I wasn't crazy. The only crazy part was I didn't trust how I was feeling, I just believed him when he said there was no problem.

I guess the point I'm trying to make here is this: trust your own experience and trust how you feel. Take his recommendations with a grain of salt. It's your body and your health. Take the time to read and educate yourself about nutrition. You will figure it out. Good luck and good health!
Dr. William Castelli, a director of the Framingham Heart Study, (the longest running heart disease study), declared: "In Framingham, Mass, the more saturated fat one ate, the more cholesterol one ate, the more calories one ate, the lower the person's serum cholesterol...we found that the people who ate the most cholesterol,ate the most saturated fat, ate the most calories, weighed the least, and were the most physically active"
teri f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 08:38 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: scarletakb
Stats: 5' 1" 241.2/175/110
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Jan 24,2010
I've done both... and this is just my opinion, but Stillman's is very tough.. very restrictive... but I did lose weight extremely fast on it... unfortunately, it was so restrictive, that I eventually couldn't "take it anymore" and went into a carb eating frenzy to the tune of about 80 pounds.. oops...

Atkins would be a little less restrictive, of course... and the food tastes WAY better, (because of the fat).. for me.. weight loss is slower, but it is a program that I can do forever.. with stillmans I was having to fight every minute of everyday to stay on it... because I was hungry.. but when I would eat the allowable food, I would get so nauseous, and couldn't gag down another piece...

personally, I would try both, and see which one you like better.
scarletakb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 08:50 AM   #11
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: daisyHair
Stats: 257/228/140
WOE: Medi Weightloss
Start Date: 5' 4" 50 Years Old
I have done both.
I lost a good amount in the late 80's on Stillman and lost to goal on Atkins several years ago. I much prefer Atkins.

I am not sure why your Dr. wants Stillman for you. I think many doctors are still hung up on Fat is bad.. I do think they are leaning toward belief that LC IS THE WAY TO GO and maybe he just feels low fat low carb is better.

I personally, if you don't have a reason you are needing to do low fat, would do Atkins. The fat is much more satiating and there is some belief that low fat, low carb is not good for us. Stillmans is VERY low fat.

Good luck no matter what.
oh and ya.. 40 and fab is where it's at! That's the name of my blog.
Old 05-10-2010, 08:59 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: miggsmacall
Stats: 317/302/169
WOE: Atkins/Stillman's cycle
Start Date: August 2005 (LC)
My experience...

A few years ago I lost 85 pounds quick doing Stillman's Mon-Wed and Atkins Induction Thurs - Sun.

All days of the week I ate about 1200 calories per day and exercised.

I lost about 5 pounds per week doing this and I'd do it for about a month at a time. Meaning, I'd lose 20 pounds a month 4x's. The rest of the months I kind of monkied around on about 30-40 grams of carbs a day- sometimes more- still exercising but really just maintaining my losses.

3.5 years later I've only maintained half my loss. I've tried to go back to my strictly regimented diet and I'm having trouble losing like I did. It's a super hard diet.

There are folks over on the Stillman's Achievers challenge under "other diets" who have had great success. It seems like the ones that do are at about 600-800 calories per day eating things like tuna with lemon juice and a couple of eggs a day.

I feel like I can't sustain that, but, maybe that's why I'm not losing weight...
miggsmacall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 09:43 AM   #13
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
I don't get why one would pick stillmans' over atkins unless there was some kind of special need to get weight off fast (i.e. surgery or something)?
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 09:53 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Well, I for one, have trouble enjoying the benefits of losing weight on a high fat diet. I can perfectly maintain a weight loss but see little loss, if any, that way.

People's bodies are different.
Old 05-10-2010, 09:59 AM   #15
Chatty Cathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by miggsmacall View Post
Well, I for one, have trouble enjoying the benefits of losing weight on a high fat diet. I can perfectly maintain a weight loss but see little loss, if any, that way.

People's bodies are different.
I didn't realize that was a possibility. I hope that does not become my reality. I am a very slow loser on a less than 20g daily. I don't count calories intentionally. I still have a lot left to lose.....

I guess the good news, is that you will be able to maintain with a higher fat woe.....
Old 05-10-2010, 10:01 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Yeah, that's why I would do Stillman's Mon- Wed to get the loss, but then Thurs-Sun to maintain it. Stillman's is SO hard 3 days a week was all I could deal with.
Old 05-10-2010, 10:04 AM   #17
Chatty Cathy

Quote:
Yeah, that's why I would do Stillman's Mon- Wed to get the loss, but then Thurs-Sun to maintain it. Stillman's is SO hard 3 days a week was all I could deal with.
I believe it. I did do Stillman's years ago but didn't last long. Great idea to go back and forth! How long have you been doing that and what kind of loses are you getting (if I may be so nosy)?
Old 05-10-2010, 10:13 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Like I said, I lost 85 pounds in under a year. I think it helps to stir things up in the body. I gained half back over 4 years and it's difficult to start Stillman's again and I'm having other medical/body issues. Give it a try, though, I say.
Old 05-10-2010, 10:21 AM   #19
Chatty Cathy

Quote:
Like I said, I lost 85 pounds in under a year. I think it helps to stir things up in the body. I gained half back over 4 years and it's difficult to start Stillman's again and I'm having other medical/body issues. Give it a try, though, I say.
I will consider it but not sure I have the fortitude for it. I can keep this in my back pocket though if I stop losing all together.....
Old 05-10-2010, 10:39 AM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: GwnStfni
Stats: 231/168.4/131
WOE: Atkins & Stillman's
Start Date: Restart 02/13/2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnas View Post
I'm shocked that a doc today would recommend this plan to you and I imagine if you went to 10 other docs they would roll their eyes and tell you NOT do to Stillmans. If you aren't comfortable with your doc's suggestion you need to tell him so. He works for you and ultimately you make the decisions about what is right for you and what is not. If it doesn't sound right or feel right then listen to that voice.

Having said that what about a combination of the two? You could do Stillman's for 2 weeks then go to Atkins for a couple of weeks then back to Stillman's? Or do Stillman's until you start to feel to restricted or unhappy then switch to Atkins until you feel ready to go with Stillman's again? Point is it doesn't have to be an either/or proposition. Stillman's is a very difficult plan to follow for any given period of time so if you decide to do it just make sure it's only for short periods of time or you will repeat the past and ultimately fail. Sometimes these "cycling" type plans can work well for people so maybe this is something for you to consider?
I agree with this! As you can see from my stats, I too do a combination of both plans! Stillman's for superior weight loss, Atkins to keep me sane and get those fats in!
GwnStfni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 11:37 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lita's way
Stats: 210/185/140
WOE: HEALTHY EATING
Start Date: jan 2010
I have been following atkins for 4 months,2 months dandr,2 months 72.
i lost 10 # in the first two weeks,obvioulsy water weight and i have been
bouncing up and down with my weight since. i cannot lose weight on atkins no
matter how hard i try. i decide to give stillmans ago yesterday and iam down
a pound.im not getting excited just yet. Ill have to wait a week and see how
things go.If i can continue to loose on stillmans i will gladly stay there untill i
reach my goal then do maitenance on atkins.I know stillmans is really strict and
boring but im running out of options.

"Run when you can,Walk when you have to,
Crawl if you must;JUST NEVER GIVE UP."

"You cannot possess what you will not pursue"
lita's way is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 11:42 AM   #22
Do you know your CCLL?

Gallery: 2bflawless
I tried Stillmans during my 1.5 year stall and sure the scale moved temporarily but it bounced right back! I was so hungry and just can't eat THAT much meat, especially lower fat ones like chicken or fish.

I am not surprised a doctor recommended this plan at all. I have several doctors tell me that I needed to limit my calories to 500 to lose. Yep, 500 calories. Guess what, it wasn't Atkins not working for me it was my thyroid!

Once I was properly medicated and stuck to the PLAN, determined my CCLL the weight melted off! I eat WAY more than I ever have in my life (I was a low fat, low cal girl all my life) and I feel and look great.

I say grab the Atkins 72 book, read it and FOLLOW it!
2bflawless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 11:52 AM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Randy
Stats: 277/247/187
Just my opinion, but extended 100% Stillman's is a recipe for metabolism murder.
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 11:57 AM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: martiangurll
Stats: 250ish/201.5/138???
WOE: HCG at the moment R3P2VLDC33
Start Date: 4/01/10 (Atkins restart)
If your goal is to lose weight fast, do the Atkins. The fat helps you lose weight faster. Its been scientifically proven! If you wanna let your doctor take the credit, go ahead and let him think you are following Stillmans. (just my $0.02)
martiangurll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 01:04 PM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
Just my opinion, but extended 100% Stillman's is a recipe for metabolism murder.
And this may have happened to me...it's really difficult (still) for me to lose now.
Old 05-10-2010, 05:37 PM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Gweebles
Stats: 26w/24w/8
WOE: JUDDD convert 2720/544
Start Date: JUDDD 3/6/12
I used to do Stillman's for 3 days at a time to lose, but I'd lose 5 pounds then gain 3 back. I preferred the fat fast.

I can't work myself up to do stillman's anymore. Too many cans of tuna, hard boiled eggs...ugh... I agree that it can be hard and you want to shake up stuff, but be careful you don't screw up your metabolism.
Gweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 05:52 PM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lita's way
Stats: 210/185/140
WOE: HEALTHY EATING
Start Date: jan 2010
Atkins does not work for every one
lita's way is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 06:40 AM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Wow thanks everyone for the awesome feedback. I have decided to do a combination of the both. I agree that adding some of the fat has helped me stay satisfied. I only have 60lbs to lose and really no medical reason per say. I am obviously overweight. I do have a thyroid problem that is regulated and my cholesterol and sugar were up. My blood sugar was 106 and my triglycerides were 180 so I think that's why the dr. chose low fat, lean protein for stillmans. I was having a hard time and feeling hungry yesterday so I am chosing to try to be as strict as possible but I did add some low fat mayo to my tuna and had a small burger without the bun while on the run. I may lose a little slower???? but I would rather enjoy the journey and know it is one I can sustain. I'm in no hurry to lose quickly because it took me a long time to gain this weight. I want it to stay off for good without the yo yo. I am trying to be careful and more aware of what I put in my body. I think by changing up a few things for flavor will keep me going and prevent the carb binge effect I have gotten in the past from feeling deprived. I am excited I found such a supportive group to help me achieve this goal. If in 8 wks the doctor does a retest for my cholesterol and it doesn't drop any I will consider being more strict with fat. However, I don't think that will be a problem because I believe that losing the weight will help my sugar and cholesterol significantly. I know my sugar isn't "diabetic" but my mom and grandfather are type 2 diabetic and I want to avoid that at all cost. Thanks again everyone!

Last edited by Twinkie; 05-11-2010 at 06:44 AM..
Old 05-11-2010, 11:40 AM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: t_tom_LC
Stats: 246/Low 170's/175
WOE: Lo-Carb my way
Start Date: March 2003
Stillmans is hardcore. If want to lose fast, that is way to go but remember getting off of it is tricky. There is a good chance your body will want to gain the first few days if you stay on it for more than a few weeks. As everyone knows it is basically high protein and low(er) calorie (becasue of lower or no fats). I don't have my journal with me from 2003, but I want to say I lost 12lbs my first 8 days of stillmans after losing 45#'s LC'ing the previous 2.5 months. This was summer and I was very active outdoors in the heat, but it was still impressive. I remember it because it put me over the 50# mark. If you follow it by the letter, it is not for faint of heart.

I wouldn't start out from day 1 on stillmans. If you do, get ready for the worst 3 or 4 day headache you have ever had (and cramps, holy crap the cramps...!) I would start out LC'ing for a few weeks, kill the appetite and then hit it. Take vitamins and get your sleep.

I disagree about ones metabolism being killed. If you stay at least a little active you will not kill it. If you are losing weight your metabolism is kicking.
Old 05-11-2010, 11:53 AM   #30
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: teri f
Stats: 203/127/125
WOE: High fat VLC
Start Date: Original start: January 3, 2001. Restart 6/18/2007
The way I brought my triglycerides and fasting blood sugars down was by eating a high fat, low carb diet. I eat alot of good saturated fats and really made a difference when I added EVCO. Those numbers got terrible skewed when I ate a lower fat higher carb diet (by higher carb I mean lots of green low carb veggies). I was just recently diagnosed hypothyroid and started on meds. Hopefully Im will be able to lose a little weight again someday.
teri f is offline   Reply With Quote