Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2010, 04:10 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: melissakp313
low carb snack..sweet and salty

Ok, Im in a pickle right now, I have a sweet tooth, and I can not seem to find anything that I CAN eat that is low carb for my sweet tooth. I'm not in maintance yet, so it needs to be pretty low on the carb count. Any ideas?

And for my other snack attack I need something salty/savory that isnt full of fat. I feel like a wierdo snacking on cheese all the time, and nuts. I dont want to go crazy on the fat grams, but I'm not sure what else to eat, besides raw vegetables (boring )

All my main meals are always very healthy and low carb, but its my snacks that are difficult to control ie the last night I wanted something salty and I ended up eating chips and salsa! Oh well!!!

thanks you guys!
melissakp313 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-2010, 04:24 AM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: lisabinil
Stats: 287/Restart 206/177/160 5'6"
WOE: Healthy Carb for Optimum Health
Start Date: 2/4/10
Make flax crackers and have with dips or cheese. I make a high protein sweet snack of Fage Greek Yogurt w/half cottage cheese-sweeten and add sliced strawberries.
lisabinil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 04:25 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cathy77533
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: started again 4/12/2010
For the sweet, how about sugar free jello with cream?

Ricotta with one packet of splenda and cinnamon?

Root beer floats?

For salty, pork rinds?

I can't think of many salty things.
cathy77533 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 06:48 AM   #4
something there

Gallery: cleochatra
Stats: 364/233/125 5'5" [44]
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: August 31, 2012
When I need sweet, I make a flax cracker with davincis, like this: DaVinci’s Sugar Free Strawberry Syrup

It was so awesome!

The cracker: Simply mix 2 Tbsp flax seed meal with 1 Tbsp water + 1 Tbsp Davinci’s. Spread on a piece of parchment paper and microwave for 2.5 minutes. Let cool. The spread: In a separate bowl, heat 1 ounce of cream cheese for 20 seconds. Add 1 Tbsp DaVinci’s syrup and mix. Spread on cracker.

Last edited by cleochatra; 05-07-2010 at 06:49 AM..
cleochatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 06:57 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: martiangurll
Stats: 250ish/201.5/138???
WOE: HCG at the moment R3P2VLDC33
Start Date: 4/01/10 (Atkins restart)
How about making some sugar and salted pecans and substitute SF sweetner for the sugar?
martiangurll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 06:58 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tulipsandroses
Stats: 206/160/150
Start Date: March 2010
A few drops ezsweets or some other sweetener to Mascarpone cheese is DIVINE
tulipsandroses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 07:10 AM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ljguitar
Stats: 350++/under 240/wherever 30 net carbs a day leads
WOE: 30 net carbs a day or less...unclean eating
Start Date: August 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissakp313 View Post
Ok, Im in a pickle right now, I have a sweet tooth, and I can not seem to find anything that I CAN eat that is low carb for my sweet tooth. I'm not in maintance yet, so it needs to be pretty low on the carb count. Any ideas?
Hi melissa…
I always keep some chia-gel made up in the fridge, along with a batch of Chocolate pudding made from chia Unsweetened Chocolate Almond Milk. I also love Agua Fresca - which is a traditional and fun Mexican beverage made with lemon or lime mixed in Chia-gel.

I make the pudding in 2 cup batches and it lasts in the fridge for a couple weeks (well it could if I didn't eat it first), but it's simple enough to make in 1 cup batches. A full cup of it only has about 3.5carbs. It's a simple recipe and lasts for a couple weeks.

I just stir 1/3 cup seeds into 2 cups Unsweetened Chocolate Almond milk with my favorite non-sugar sweetener, and stir it really well, then stir every 5 minutes a couple times then into the fridge it goes to be there when I want/need a spoon full.

I also mix the plain gel equal parts with Carbmaster yogurts to build bigger servings that are more satisfying. Been using the Chia gel for a while as an extender, and fiber source (better than flax).

I make Agua Fresca quite a bit too (my own version) using the Chia gel, and Soda water or Crystal Lite & some lime juice. About 1/3 glass of gel, a teaspoon or two of lime juice and fill it up with either chilled soda water (I buy the flavored ones) or Crystal Lite...stir

On the savory side, I buy Jack Link's Original Beef Steak Jerky in the round canisters. That or some roasted red pepper sharp cheddar we found at Sam's.

…The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese…
ljguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 07:12 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TennisBum
Stats: 229/195/175
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Restart 2/21/10
I made some LC protein bars with nuts and it gave me that sweet and salty taste so maybe you could kill two birds with one stone.
TennisBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 07:59 AM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: luzeit4good
WOE: low carb
Start Date: 4/27/09
My fav sweet is lowcarb yogurt (3) with whip cream...yum
luzeit4good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 08:12 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tresa
Stats: 212/201/150
WOE: Metabolism Miracle
what is chia gel

Larry - what is that chia gel or chia seeds that you are talking about?

Tresa
tresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 08:15 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ilikecarbs
Stats: 213.4/less than 213.4/190
I don't know how you feel about Atkins bars...but the new Almond Sweet and Salty...OMG...best low carb snack I have ever had! It has 15 g. carbs w/5 g. of fiber and 6 g. of sugar alcohol. The taste is Amazing! It tastes nothing like a low carb snack.
ilikecarbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 08:29 AM   #12
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: MsWoods
Stats: 399/217.5/169
Start Date: 06/22/09
Use pork rinds instead of tortilla chips. Always keep bags and bags on hand. I do. Use them as chips and dip them in salsa, guac, sour cream (my fave), french onion dip (the container you buy at the store), or put some cheese on them and melt it and make nachos!

Make something salty and sweet with your pork rinds. Oh pork rind, how I love thee.

Sweet Cinnamon pork rinds-http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/cinnamon_crispy_porkrinds.html

Make some cinnamon pork crunch-pork rinds, cinnamon, sweetener in a bowl, pour unsweetened almond milk over top and you have the next best thing to cinnamon toast crunch.

Make some LC puppy chow-http://lowcarbinmadesimple.blogspot.com/2009/12/lc-puppy-chow.html

I lurve pork rinds./end pork rind section

Invest in some whey protein powder. You can make shakes that taste like ice cream and baked goods:http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...-brownies.html *shout out to myself!*
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...st-thread.html

Here are some more ideas:
Anything besides pork rinds that are salty and crunchy?
Favorite Low Carb Snacks!
Savory/Salty Snacks
Old 05-07-2010, 08:53 AM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ljguitar
Stats: 350++/under 240/wherever 30 net carbs a day leads
WOE: 30 net carbs a day or less...unclean eating
Start Date: August 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by tresa View Post
Larry - what is that chia gel or chia seeds that you are talking about?
Hi tresa…
I buy my Chia seeds 5 pounds at a time (yes the same as used with the Chia pets).

If mixed with liquid (water, milk etc) at about a 6:1 ratio (which is 1/3 cup of chia seed to 2 cups water), it forms a thick gel in about 10 minutes. You have to stir/shake them well at the start so they don't clump, but then just pop them into the fridge and use the gel (seeds and all) for lots of stuff.

I’m sure if you google Chia-seeds you will find more than you want to know.

Nutritionally, they are mostly fiber and low in carbs. 2 cups of gel is only 3 net carbs. I make them in mason jars - so a whole quart of gel at this ratio is only 6 net carbs.

I put them in smoothies, Agua Fresca, make puddings, extend yogurt...and I even toss about 1/3 cup of gel in my lime-mayo slaw dressings. For pudding, I make the gel with either Vanilla or Chocolate (unsweetened) Almond Milk which I sweeten with my favorite non-sugar sweetener.

I make the 2 cups ''milk'' to 1/3 cup seeds, and it's great pudding! I even add it to smoothies for my wife - her favorite this week is Chocolate peanut-butter which I make for her by using a cup of the choc-pudding, another 1/2 cup Choc Almond milk and handful of peanuts in the Vita-mix with 4-5 icecubes...she says it's pretty heavenly.

They are flavorless and odorless. The white are prettier, and the black are the same values of nutrition...and if you find a source 'out there' they can be had for around $5-6 pound.

ljguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 10:25 AM   #14
Junior LCF Member

Omg so many choices! I had no idea! Thnx keep em comin%!
Old 05-07-2010, 11:08 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jenerosity
Stats: 304/209/199
Start Date: 3/1/07
Quote:

Welcome to the wonderful world of low carb!! Don't let ANYONE tell you it's all bacon and eggs!!! Not that this is a bad thing
jenerosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 11:25 AM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

How about celery root chips or fries? One tip, get the smaller celery roots instead of the gigantic ones. I find the smaller ones much milder.
Old 05-07-2010, 12:15 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Gnossienne
Start Date: April 2008
Macadamia nuts, sprinkled with sweetener.

I've been meaning to melt some xylitol and see if I can approach something like a brittle, with salty nuts inside.

Or maybe tossed in some soy and sweetener, and something sort of hot and spicy, like chili powder? Sweet Thai Chili Nuts??

Barring those ideas, I sometimes add sweetener to fried cabbage and pork, with a slosh of heavy cream. Like sweet and savory stir fry.
Gnossienne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 12:19 PM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
I know you said you are tired of cheese, but Trader Joe's sells frying cheese that is to die for--slice it in strips and fry in a pan on both sides and it is impossible to distinguish from a grilled cheese sandwich--salty and crusty and so delicious!
ouizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 01:39 PM   #19
Do you know your CCLL?

Gallery: 2bflawless
For my sweet tooth I make coconut bark!

4 tbsp coconut oil (melted)
2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa
liquid splenda to taste (10 drops for me)

Mix well put in candy mold or small muffin pan, freeze 10 minutes and you will have a delicious chocolate snack. it! I usually eat 6-8 pcs at a time :blush: sooo good, great for TOM.
2bflawless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 02:14 PM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post
I know you said you are tired of cheese, but Trader Joe's sells frying cheese that is to die for--slice it in strips and fry in a pan on both sides and it is impossible to distinguish from a grilled cheese sandwich--salty and crusty and so delicious!

Yes frying cheese is DIVINE. I just tried this for the first time yesterday. I have the garlic toast flavor and I swear it feels like I'm eating Garlic bread or Texas Toast! Yum, Yum!
Old 05-07-2010, 04:01 PM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: martiangurll
Stats: 250ish/201.5/138???
WOE: HCG at the moment R3P2VLDC33
Start Date: 4/01/10 (Atkins restart)
Quote:
Yeah, what I love about this lobby is it is chock full of low carb snacking McGuyvers!
martiangurll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 05:33 PM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: pennylovesdarren
Stats: 191 :( / 191/ 176
WOE: WW points plus
Start Date: 10/21/2014
pennylovesdarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 07:33 PM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lickrish
Start Date: May 12th 07
my recent invention is to take 1/2 a joseph's lavash wrap (4 carbs) & smear butter on it & then top that with sweetener of choice & some cinnamon. Roll it up & stick in the microwave for a minute. Rub it in the melted butter mixture on the plate after it's heated & it tastes like fresh baked cinnamon rolls. SO GOOD!
Lickrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 10:48 PM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jetvictor
When I was trying to lose weight and really needed something, I usually have salted cashews or s'more atkins bar because it's so sweet and the only one that I liked lol.
Jetvictor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 04:37 AM   #25
Junior LCF Member

Well Im going to the grocery store today! I made myself a list of all the goodies to buy!!!! Thanks again!!
Old 05-08-2010, 06:57 AM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Purple Crayon
Start Date: August 2003
Well, I'm a believer in not giving in to the sweet tooth. I didn't want to replace old bad habits with new bad habits. I wanted to change the way I eat.

Dill pickles will kill a sweet craving.

And after you've low-carbed long enough, many sweet things will start tasting overly sweet to you and foods you never thought of as sweet (green beans for me) will start tasting sweet to you.

Be careful of the cheese and nuts. Dr. Eades sites these as one of the main causes of slowing down of even stopping weight loss. They are calorie dense and well you know there is a reason for the phrase "like eating peanuts".

Make sure you are eating out of hunger not boredom. And drink plenty of water. Sometimes hunger pains are the body's way of trying to get hydration.
Old 05-08-2010, 09:39 AM   #27
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Crayon View Post
Well, I'm a believer in not giving in to the sweet tooth. I didn't want to replace old bad habits with new bad habits. I wanted to change the way I eat.

Dill pickles will kill a sweet craving.

And after you've low-carbed long enough, many sweet things will start tasting overly sweet to you and foods you never thought of as sweet (green beans for me) will start tasting sweet to you.

Be careful of the cheese and nuts. Dr. Eades sites these as one of the main causes of slowing down of even stopping weight loss. They are calorie dense and well you know there is a reason for the phrase "like eating peanuts".

Make sure you are eating out of hunger not boredom. And drink plenty of water. Sometimes hunger pains are the body's way of trying to get hydration.
Very good advice ^^^^^^^
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 09:55 AM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joy-FL
Stats: 223/175/140
Start Date: July 30, 2009
Quote:
Well, I'm a believer in not giving in to the sweet tooth.
Sweet tooth is to sugar as alcoholism is to beer. Give it up and it goes away.

Fake desserts are a very bad idea right now. Later, okay. Not at the beginning.

Quote:
Be careful of the cheese and nuts.
I have to disagree here. The OP needs to eat as much real food as possible to combat the initial withdrawal pangs.
Joy-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 10:15 PM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: hipslikemonroe
Stats: 220/177.5/140
For sweet I like SF jello or pudding, yogurt, a square of Lindt 70-85% chocolate, iced mocha with davinci's sf syrup, sf diet hot chocolate, cheesecake muffins, cottage cheese w/ splenda & cinnamon, fresh berries w/ whipped cream. I like sweet things, and even though I'm on low carb I don't think having a sweet tooth is bad, just make substitution for the high carb/sugary things instead.

Salty..pepperoni chips, pork rinds, beef jerky
hipslikemonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 11:11 PM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: brimmy
Stats: 300/232/199
WOE: Other LC
Start Date: 1/1/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy-FL View Post
Sweet tooth is to sugar as alcoholism is to beer. Give it up and it goes away.

Fake desserts are a very bad idea right now. Later, okay. Not at the beginning.

I have to disagree here. The OP needs to eat as much real food as possible to combat the initial withdrawal pangs.
I agree. If the problem is motivation because of not losing enough or fast enough, cutting out nuts and cheeses can be helpful. However when the problem instead is higher carb cravings, i think cheese and nuts are a great choice, especially if the alternative ends up being chips and salsa.
brimmy is offline   Reply With Quote