Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Question about Trader Joe's in Indianapolis, Indiana (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/672719-question-about-trader-joes-indianapolis-indiana.html)

Dreamchaser 04-29-2010 07:17 PM

Question about Trader Joe's in Indianapolis, Indiana

I will be traveling near Indy soon and stopping to make a quick trip to Trader Joe's on the way home.

It's a very rare treat for me to get to go to Trader Joe's because I don't have one near where I live.

I see that there are 2 Trader Joe's in Indy. Which location is the best? Or are they both about the same?

What are your favorite things to get at this one?

Any help is very much appreciated! :)

Chelveston 04-29-2010 07:20 PM

I've only been to the one on the north east side of town. It's in the same shopping center as a Penzey's store. Penzey's closes early, though.

Dreamchaser 04-29-2010 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chelveston (Post 13428718)
I've only been to the one on the north east side of town. It's in the same shopping center as a Penzey's store. Penzey's closes early, though.

There's one on west 86th street and one on east 82nd street. Do you know which one of those is the one you went to?

Chelveston 04-29-2010 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dreamchaser (Post 13428752)
There's one on west 86th street and one on east 82nd street. Do you know which one of those is the one you went to?

The East 82nd street one.

Dreamchaser 04-29-2010 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chelveston (Post 13428761)
The East 82nd street one.

What are your favorite things to get there Chelveston?

Chasintrail 04-30-2010 05:47 AM

I've only been to this one too. Keep meaning to drive over the the W 86th and see if it's any bigger.

The 82nd st store is small. I stop once in a while for wild blueberries, sometimes end up with almond flour, cheese, misc stuff. :dunno: Truthfully, I almost never shop there :laugh: Guess it's not as much of a treat when you can go everyday! I prefer Fresh Market in Broad Ripple for the few things I don't or can't get at the farm markets.

Indychick829 04-30-2010 06:50 AM

I live fairly close to the one in Castleton (East 82nd) and it is bigger than the one on West 86th. I go there usually once a week or two.

I get:
dangit, I can't remember the brand - but they have a splenda sweetened soda pop - i LOVE the Tangerine Lime - tastes like Sprite (and I gave up pop years ago, but it's a great treat!

Heavy Whipping cream - they have a regular "pastuerized" and NOT "ultra-pasuerized" one.

they have an AWESOME meat selection - but be forwarned if you don't eat corn syrup, tehre are still some meat with corn syrup - but mainly the processed ones - they do have grass fed there - just look closely at the packages.

They have AWESOME nitrate/nitrite free bacon and hot dogs

awesome frozen fish selection (oh yeah, bring a cooler with ice)

they do have an great nuts section including almond meal - but it's NOT almond 'flour' - the difference is meal (i think) has the skins on and flour (bob's red is the best) is blanched and skinless.

oh yeah - if you're at the phase where you can eat bread - i LOVE their trader joes low carb breads - they have 3 varieties and each slice is 7 g carbs, 4 g fiber for 3 net carbs per slice.

Also - not sure you have a whole foods near you - but keep going west down 82nd street - it'll become 86th street right after Allisonville and then past keystone you'll come into "Nora" and near the Monon trail is Whole Foods - it's a little pricy but they have an AWESOME selection of Bob's Red Mill products. They also sell Traders Point Creamery 100% grass fed Milk (non-homoginized but still pasteurized.)
They have So Delicious Coconut Milk there (AWESOME for smoothies)
a HUGE selection of whey protein powders
i buy a lot from both of these stores...

There's also another health food store on 82nd street - in the mall just a few lights north of Trader Joes in Castleton - It's called "Winding Way Farms" and it's in the same parking lot of Best buy - go over the overpass (when you turn right out of TJ's) and be in the left hand lane to make the first left into the mall and it's in that little strip in front of the mall - right to the left of Best Buy. They have some decent stuff in there too - but it is a little smaller.

Chia seeds - I've bought them from Winding Way farms - but Whole Foods has them too. if you've never used chia - google chia and low carb recipes and you'll find SO many reasons to use it! plus you'll see the benefits of using it!

Good luck!

Dreamchaser 04-30-2010 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chasintrail (Post 13429542)
I've only been to this one too. Keep meaning to drive over the the W 86th and see if it's any bigger.

The 82nd st store is small. I stop once in a while for wild blueberries, sometimes end up with almond flour, cheese, misc stuff. :dunno: Truthfully, I almost never shop there :laugh: Guess it's not as much of a treat when you can go everyday! I prefer Fresh Market in Broad Ripple for the few things I don't or can't get at the farm markets.

Hi Tamara. Thanks for responding. I have no Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, Fresh Market or even a Costco here. Just a couple of tiny health food stores with hardly any selection at all. Believe me, Trader Joe's is HUGE treat!! :)

Dreamchaser 04-30-2010 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indychick829 (Post 13429680)
I live fairly close to the one in Castleton (East 82nd) and it is bigger than the one on West 86th. I go there usually once a week or two.

I get:
dangit, I can't remember the brand - but they have a splenda sweetened soda pop - i LOVE the Tangerine Lime - tastes like Sprite (and I gave up pop years ago, but it's a great treat!

Heavy Whipping cream - they have a regular "pastuerized" and NOT "ultra-pasuerized" one.

they have an AWESOME meat selection - but be forwarned if you don't eat corn syrup, tehre are still some meat with corn syrup - but mainly the processed ones - they do have grass fed there - just look closely at the packages.

They have AWESOME nitrate/nitrite free bacon and hot dogs

awesome frozen fish selection (oh yeah, bring a cooler with ice)

they do have an great nuts section including almond meal - but it's NOT almond 'flour' - the difference is meal (i think) has the skins on and flour (bob's red is the best) is blanched and skinless.

oh yeah - if you're at the phase where you can eat bread - i LOVE their trader joes low carb breads - they have 3 varieties and each slice is 7 g carbs, 4 g fiber for 3 net carbs per slice.

Also - not sure you have a whole foods near you - but keep going west down 82nd street - it'll become 86th street right after Allisonville and then past keystone you'll come into "Nora" and near the Monon trail is Whole Foods - it's a little pricy but they have an AWESOME selection of Bob's Red Mill products. They also sell Traders Point Creamery 100% grass fed Milk (non-homoginized but still pasteurized.)

There's also another health food store on 82nd street - in the mall just a few lights north of Trader Joes in Castleton - It's called "Winding Way Farms" and it's in the same parking lot of Best buy - go over the overpass (when you turn right out of TJ's) and be in the left hand lane to make the first left into the mall and it's in that little strip in front of the mall - right to the left of Best Buy. They have some decent stuff in there too - but it is a little smaller.

Chia seeds - I've bought them from Winding Way farms - but Whole Foods has them too. if you've never used chia - google chia and low carb recipes and you'll find SO many reasons to use it! plus you'll see the benefits of using it!

Good luck!

Oh man, Indychick, thanks for the excellent post!! :clap:

Oh you better believe I will have my BIG cooler with ice ready!! :D

I am very interested in the meat, frozen fish and nitrate free bacon. Any particular types or brands of any of those that you have tried and recommend??

Do they have the Kerrygold butter? I would love to stock up on a bunch of that.

Do you know if the Trader Joe's breads they have have soy in them?

Dreamchaser 04-30-2010 08:42 AM

Man, I would just love to take the whole day and visit Whole Foods, Winding Way Farms, Fresh Market and Penzey's in addition to Trader Joe's!! That would be so cool but unfortunately I only have time for one stop.

I will definitely keep all of these great stores in mind though and refer back to this in case I'm able to go back in the future!! :)

Indychick829 04-30-2010 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dreamchaser (Post 13430113)
Oh man, Indychick, thanks for the excellent post!! :clap:

Oh you better believe I will have my BIG cooler with ice ready!! :D

I am very interested in the meat, frozen fish and nitrate free bacon. Any particular types or brands of any of those that you have tried and recommend??

Do they have the Kerrygold butter? I would love to stock up on a bunch of that.

Do you know if the Trader Joe's breads they have have soy in them?

Not sure about kerrygold butter - i usually just buy the great value brand from wally world! lol
don't remember the brand - but they only have a few and it's right there on the package.
the fish - one thing to make sure, though, is that you either eat it right away or freeze it. i left some in the fridge for a week once and yeah we ended up going out for dinner the night i made it! lol :sick: learned THAT lesson! :p

I don't remember if the breads have soy in them or not. I haven't actually bought the bread for a while (make my own with hazelnut or almond flour/meal) and since giving up soy I haven't checked the packaging...

I do remember buying a box of "scallops on the half shell" in pesto sauce a while ago - they were very yummy! and not too expensive either.

I would suggest though - just because it is a little different - since Winding Way farms is pretty much right across the street - at least check them out. They may have something in there you never knew you needed! :rofl:
no i don't work for them - but i like their store, they carry many different items including some organic meats.

Dreamchaser 04-30-2010 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indychick829 (Post 13430169)
Not sure about kerrygold butter - i usually just buy the great value brand from wally world! lol
don't remember the brand - but they only have a few and it's right there on the package.
the fish - one thing to make sure, though, is that you either eat it right away or freeze it. i left some in the fridge for a week once and yeah we ended up going out for dinner the night i made it! lol :sick: learned THAT lesson! :p

I don't remember if the breads have soy in them or not. I haven't actually bought the bread for a while (make my own with hazelnut or almond flour/meal) and since giving up soy I haven't checked the packaging...

I do remember buying a box of "scallops on the half shell" in pesto sauce a while ago - they were very yummy! and not too expensive either.

I would suggest though - just because it is a little different - since Winding Way farms is pretty much right across the street - at least check them out. They may have something in there you never knew you needed! :rofl:
no i don't work for them - but i like their store, they carry many different items including some organic meats.

I will definitely be freezing the fish and pretty much everything else I get there. I sure do appreciate all of this great info! :cool:

Oh boy, I may just have to make a quick run into Winding Way as well!! Dh will be in a rush to get home but he will just have to have some patience that day :laugh:

OK, Dh is telling me that the store on West 86th is more convenient because it's right on the way to the highway we have to take to get home.....if you were me, would you go to the one on East 82nd anyway? I mean is there really that much of a difference between the two?

killerblues 04-30-2010 05:42 PM

<~~~~~~~~very very jealous!!!!!

Chasintrail 05-03-2010 08:21 AM

BTW - most of the larger Marsh grocery stores carry Kerry Gold. I don't think TJs has it, but Whole Paycheck does. If you do end up going to E 86th st TJs, there is a Marsh just the other side of Allisonville that should have it. They also carry the Trader's Point milk and yogurts.

Maybe Indychick will chime in on the differences between W and E stores :dunno: Either way, have fun!

Krystrandya 11-05-2013 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indychick829 (Post 13429680)
They have AWESOME nitrate/nitrite free bacon

Good luck!

I live up there too.. So from a local low carber.. :jumpjoy: :welcome:

Bleh on the chia. Other markets you may want to know in that area are good earth in broadripple has tons of super odd, but fantastic finds. The whole foods has super fresh nuts, i know its strange... But peanuts actually taste good, they also have frozen low carb breads but the best find is black soybeans for 1carb a serving beans! now that makes nice chili! there is a butchershop called joes on main st in carmel with nice meats and dont forget the mitchels fish market resturant sells its fresh flown in fish as and actual fish market, and lastly i need to make a stop at the new grocer in carmel earth fare which sells no products with that pesky corn syrup which sneaks into everything and all organic. There are also a few bariatric places with some low carb options. Yum..

marieze 11-05-2013 09:45 AM

While every T.J's is different, keep your eye out on these things I always buy at mine...

Yes....Kerrygold butter
Peanut or Almond Butter....I like the blue label one...just peanuts/salt
Salem blue cheese crumbles
Triple cream brie
Organic chicken broth
Trader Joe's 3 Cheese pasta Sauce (like 3 neg carbs 1/4 or 1/2 cup)
All their cheeses are divine!
Canned olives..kalamata, green etc.
Bottled spices are cheap!
Canned coconut milk
Canned artichoke hearts
Frozen chile-lime chicken patties..CHEAP AND DELICIOUS!! (Red box)
Frozen Mahi-Mahi patties (blue box)
Olive Oil
Bagged frozen asparagus..cheap and nice thin asparagus
Bagged frozen, sliced tri-colored bell peppers
T.J's taco seasoning packets

I hope this helps! If I were you, I would call both stores and tell them what you are looking for overall and ask them which store is best for you...they are always so nice!

Marie

Dreamchaser 11-05-2013 09:56 AM

I am the original poster and I started this thread in April of 2010. I have no plans to travel there again but I am always glad to see a thread about Trader Joe's!
:up: :cool: