Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2010, 09:58 AM   #1
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: TaDa!
Stats: 236.5 /132.5/ 128-133 @5'3"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance (Vegetarian + Fish)
Start Date: 6/03 & Goal! 5/06
Impatience Killed The Cat .. or Why To Stop Obsessing and Tweaking ...

Some pictures worth seeing ..

I have been putting together a presentation on my weightloss for a group I joined recently. They often have speakers come in and talk, and asked me to do a talk for the group ... while putting together the segment on how one of the key indicators of whether someone will succeed or fail at weightloss is Patience and Perseverance, I went back to my old fitdays ..

If I had taken my daily, or even my weekly weigh-ins too seriously, I would have missed the forest for the trees. In one year I lost a whopping 91 pounds, and here it is. It looks great from the perspective of an entire year at one time:

1 Year Weight Chart 6/03-6/04

Looks great right? Well the year's graph says nothing about all the daily and weekly disappointments in weight gain and lack of weight loss. Here is an average two month's segment of that year and well, let's just say there were weeks of disappointment in there:

2 Month Weight Chart 5/04-6/04

But in the long run .. a bunch of these spiky weight charts add up to the year's chart above. Dr. Atkins himself tells us not to consider something a stall without a month of ZERO weightloss or inch loss -- not to tweak unless it comes to that ... If I had taken those weeks of (mostly inexplicable) weight gains seriously, I would never have had that one year chart that meant significant weightloss ... even if it was rollercoaster ride.

I was not sure whether to post this or not, but if it helps one person just settle down and settle in for the long haul, it will have been worth posting ..

You know what to do. Just do it!!!

Stats: 47 Years Old & 5'3" tall
Weight: 236.5 (43 bmi) / 132.5 / 128-133 (size 4/6 .. 23 bmi)

*Weekly Weigh-In 7/10/12

My Journal
Year One Weightloss and Chart
My Weightloss Story
TaDa! is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-2010, 10:02 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ironic44
Stats: 260/210/199
WOE: low carb between 20 and 30 + exercise
Start Date: Feb 15 2010
Very interesting
ironic44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 10:14 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: DebWI
Thanks, TaDa! This is going to be a BIG help for me, to keep my eyes on the big picture, not the day-to-day number.
DebWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 10:17 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: martiangurll
Stats: 250ish/201.5/138???
WOE: HCG at the moment R3P2VLDC33
Start Date: 4/01/10 (Atkins restart)
Great post/thread. It helps me to remember that failure to delay gratisfaction is what got me into this mess in the first place. Instant results are not the goal, long term health is the goal with the happy side benefit of weight loss.
martiangurll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 10:24 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by martiangurll View Post
Great post/thread. It helps me to remember that failure to delay gratisfaction is what got me into this mess in the first place. Instant results are not the goal, long term health is the goal with the happy side benefit of weight loss.
That would be a great attitude! I see some people here with that attitude and they are either (lucky to be) not so concerned with getting all the weight off because they feel great and healthy, or they are simply candidates for sainthood ...

I was and am neither! I was HELLBENT on getting the weight off, but I had to teach myself to trust the process and to trust the science and to trust that If you do all the right things, success will follow. You cannot help but achieve your goals ...

I guess the biggest thing I have taken from my journey is that the key to success is:

Blinders!!!!

You just do it and know that it will come off ... and if, you stall as per Dr. Atkins guidelines, you have a comprehensive guide to working through what it is, but until you are at that point, you need do nothing but follow the plan ...

Chances are nothing you do will change your rate of weightloss over the longterm anyhow!!!!!

Last edited by TaDa!; 04-28-2010 at 10:27 AM..
Old 04-28-2010, 10:25 AM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Speck333
WOE: Semi-Primal
Awesome, thank you so much for sharing! It really helps put things in perspective.
I plot my daily-ish weigh-ins in an excel file to see the downward trend. I just love visuals. Your experience is really helpful to see, thanks again.
Speck333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 10:43 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: martiangurll
Stats: 250ish/201.5/138???
WOE: HCG at the moment R3P2VLDC33
Start Date: 4/01/10 (Atkins restart)
TaDa! I think I love you! Not only are you a woman after my own heart, but you added graphs and stuff. Thanks, I know this thread will help a lot of peeps like me, Desparate to get thin...
martiangurll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 10:47 AM   #8
Old Wise One

Gallery: jezzie
Stats: choosing to be scale-free;
WOE: (48% C; 33% Fat; 19% P; )
Start Date: 11/22/11 - MediterrAsian, Flexitarian, Oz-ish
I imagine you will help more than one with that visual.

People can lose sight of the trees for the forest.

jezzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 10:48 AM   #9
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: verbqueen
Stats: 224/163
WOE: LC/HF, for now
Your charts are beautiful, and your losses so impressive. But I don't see a 5 month plateau on there like the one I'm in (and I've known others who've had even longer ones.).

Talk about a severe challenge to one's patience...
verbqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 10:51 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Knittering
Stats: (250) 236/172/150 5'8
WOE: LC
Start Date: Restart: 2/18/13
Thank you for the reminder. I try not to lose more than 1.5 pounds a week -- if I lose more than that I up my carbs. Still, I occasionally read a post by someone who lost 30 pounds in six weeks or whatever and think: I could do that too! Cut this and cut that I could be at goal by July! ...then I calm down and remind myself that what matters is keeping the weight off. How quickly I lose doesn't really matter; what matters is maintaining for the rest of my life.
Knittering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 11:03 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by verbqueen View Post
Your charts are beautiful, and your losses so impressive. But I don't see a 5 month plateau on there like the one I'm in (and I've known others who've had even longer ones.).

Talk about a severe challenge to one's patience...
I know -- I hear you!!!!! And I know there are a lot of people who have suffered through plateaus like yours -- and believe me, I count myself so lucky not to have gone through it, especially considering I was obese and morbidly obese my whole life - almost deserve to have destroyed my body's normal functioning -

I won't insult you by suggesting things to do -- because I know you probably have been trying different things. The one thing that would be critical to me though would be to chart it and see exactly what this plateau means -- is it up and down at all, or a solid stall -- And if you've tried all of Dr. Atkins recommendations and medical checking, one other stallbuster guide that I think is excellent (but one has to be willing to go that route) is Tom Venuto's Burn The Fat Feed The Muscle, where he lists exercise tweaks for moving forward -- I know not everyone can do or wishes to go that route, but just a suggestion

I'll also say that I wrote this thread for the folks who experience ups and downs, but are trending downward and refuse to see it, lol! There seem to be tens of them at any one time here at LCF and I always feel so bad for them, because as you know - coming from the viewpoint of someone who would love to have their problem, probably - they are progressing and should not screw it up!!!! lol!!! This post was definitely was not meant as a blanket statement for everyone!!!!

Pauline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knittering View Post
Thank you for the reminder. I try not to lose more than 1.5 pounds a week -- if I lose more than that I up my carbs. Still, I occasionally read a post by someone who lost 30 pounds in six weeks or whatever and think: I could do that too! Cut this and cut that I could be at goal by July! ...then I calm down and remind myself that what matters is keeping the weight off. How quickly I lose doesn't really matter; what matters is maintaining for the rest of my life.
I know! I hear you! There was a gal on here who once lost some crazy amount - like 100 pounds to goal in like 6 months. I was purple with envy - but she was an anomaly! She was not me!! I did it too - just took a little longer ... and you know what? I plan to live another 30-40 years, so what does a few months or even a years' difference matter at all??!! Good for you!!!!

Last edited by TaDa!; 04-28-2010 at 11:04 AM..
Old 04-28-2010, 01:16 PM   #12
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: verbqueen
Stats: 224/163
WOE: LC/HF, for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaDa! View Post
I know -- I hear you!!!!! And I know there are a lot of people who have suffered through plateaus like yours -- and believe me, I count myself so lucky not to have gone through it, especially considering I was obese and morbidly obese my whole life - almost deserve to have destroyed my body's normal functioning -

I won't insult you by suggesting things to do -- because I know you probably have been trying different things. The one thing that would be critical to me though would be to chart it and see exactly what this plateau means -- is it up and down at all, or a solid stall -- And if you've tried all of Dr. Atkins recommendations and medical checking, one other stallbuster guide that I think is excellent (but one has to be willing to go that route) is Tom Venuto's Burn The Fat Feed The Muscle, where he lists exercise tweaks for moving forward -- I know not everyone can do or wishes to go that route, but just a suggestion
I will most definitely check it out. I'm always grateful for any ideas (and I appreciate the sympathy, too! )
verbqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 01:23 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: IslandAnne
WOE: Modified LC.
This is the best thread ever. Must read for anyone who is new to this WOE.

People ask "how did you do it?" and then ask if they can get thin in a month, 6 weeks or something like that. It's not a race, it's for life! Enjoy the ride and trust the process! The longterm trend is down.
IslandAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 01:36 PM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Minnas
Stats: 28/8-10/8-10
WOE: Lost VLC/Now LC/Lower calorie through lower fat
Well THERE YOU GO everyone! A very simple idea that seems at times to be beyond words now displayed in a very easy to understand and impossible to argue with graph.

(Gotta love a cute-skinny-veggie-low carb-girl who comes armed with graphs and charts to make what is most likely on of the ultimate points in all of this craziness. Amazing and brilliant you are!!)
Minnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 01:36 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: roamer723
Stats: 6' 6" 354.4/292.4/250(or until "Scoop" is gone)
WOE: low carb'ish
Start Date: March 18 2008
thanks for this. u rawk.
roamer723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 01:47 PM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tulipsandroses
Stats: 206/160/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 2010
Great Post Tada! Thanks for sharing. It definitely will help to keep me focused for the long haul.
tulipsandroses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 01:52 PM   #17
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Oh TaDa! Tears of joy and a very sincere thank you for this!

You made my week, girlfriend!
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 02:16 PM   #18
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Looweewoo
Stats: 420/275/220 - 6'2"
WOE: Carnivore/T2 Diabetic
Start Date: Restart@350 09/17/09 The best is yet to come!
Exactly!
Looweewoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 02:23 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: chiody
Stats: 245/153/165 6'0" Diabetic T2, No Meds 22 yrs.
WOE: LC/Paleo/IF (Maintenance) HbA1C 4.5 2011
Excellent post...the BIG picture is what tp key in on.
chiody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 10:08 PM   #20

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
yes yes yes
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 07:36 AM   #21
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Kiley2801
Brilliant.
Kiley2801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 07:49 AM   #22
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: 12yrslater
Stats: UGH
Start Date: Induction: 10/20/08
I sooooo needed this post! Thank you so much TaDa!!!!
12yrslater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 07:52 AM   #23
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: shirlc
Stats: 144/134/130-5'5"
WOE: Low/Mod Carb, JUDDD (JUDDD, 10/25/11 at 141.5)
Start Date: March, 2006
This is one of the best threads I've ever seen.
shirlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 09:53 AM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Molly Bloom
Stats: 280/231/150
WOE: Counting Carbs
Start Date: 03/21/2010
As someone new to this game, that was EXCELLENT.

This is exactly why I refuse to weight myself daily. My hubby and I were talking about whether we were going to weight ourselves AT ALL. It's not a denial thing, it's more a if you see it and feel it and your clothes tell you, then it is reality. But we both agreed that it is good as a basis and tells you when you do go into a stall. But we can't agree on how many times a month to weight? Those weigh ins can work for you or against you.
Old 04-29-2010, 09:54 AM   #25
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Angella
Stats: 196/165/150
WOE: Low Carb (diabetic)
Start Date: April 2008
Thanks for sharing this. I know, for me, it has been a tough journey so far, and seeing this thread is a great reminder not to stress. It's taken me a year to lose 40 pounds now, and while that's great, it has been a year full of starts and stops and spurts. Some months I lose and lose and lose, and other times I stall for months on end. I have to remind myself that even during the months where the scale won't budge, I'm at least not GAINING, and that when it's all said and done, I'm better off now than when I started You're a great inspiration for all of us!

Last edited by Angella; 04-29-2010 at 09:56 AM.. Reason: typo :(
Angella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 10:48 AM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: geaux_kat
Stats: 222.5/161/150
Start Date: 1-22-2010
This is such an encouraging post!

I have an app on my phone that lets you plot your weight, the only frustrating thing about it is it only shows 7 days at a time. Periodically I have to check back through the weeks to remind myself that even if my weight loss is stalled or up at the moment I have come so far since the beginning! I'll definitely have to use the data on my phone to make a new graph on my computer where I can easily see the big picture.
geaux_kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 10:54 AM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Molly Bloom
Stats: 280/231/150
WOE: Counting Carbs
Start Date: 03/21/2010
Perhaps you should put this in a:

PIE CHART?.....(of course a crustless pie chart...LOL)
Molly Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 11:45 AM   #28
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: bunnyliu
Stats: Starting Over 162/157/125
Start Date: February 4, 2014
Thank you for posting that!!! It's such an encouragement . I definitely fuss too much over my daily fluctuations, so it's great to see that we really need to focus on the long run than the short run.
bunnyliu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 12:01 PM   #29
Resident crazy dog lady

Gallery: sistertzu
Stats: 244/goal -90 Atkins/IF
WOE: VLC/no grain/ minimal dairy
Start Date: originally march 08 but every day is a fresh start
Thanks for sharing! I often forget that it's a downward trend that counts.
sistertzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 12:57 PM   #30
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: NWLoser
Stats: 235/115
WOE: LC/Atkins
Start Date: 12/06 Final Time!
Pauline! You hit it again! You are such an amazing person that I wish you would move to the west coast! Just kidding but it would be cool! I hope you won't mind but I think I will print those out to share with my group. I think it would really help some of the members.

One of the best posts that I have ever read in the main lobby.
NWLoser is offline   Reply With Quote