Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2010, 08:39 AM   #61
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: moonmirror
Stats: 199.4/184.8/140
Start Date: 5/21/14
WONDERFUL post, TaDa.

I think this thread is the key to this whole mission.

I love the graphs you put in, they illustrate perfectly what's going on. Even the poster who talked about her 5 month stall, if she graphed it out she might STILL find a downward trend.

I am focusing on just what you talked about here for my own eating/weight loss.
moonmirror is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-2010, 08:47 AM   #62
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: itz_ashley
Stats: 360/249/160
WOE: VSG - Low Carb
Start Date: 11-16-2011
Thanks for posting this TaDa
itz_ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 08:47 AM   #63
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mirchi
This is a fantastic post, and a very valuable one. Well done TaDa!
mirchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 08:49 AM   #64
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Joycelyn
I can't believe I missed this post. It is awesome. Thanks Pauline. I weigh daily and because of minor fluctuations, both up and down, this causes me to get very discouraged and flit to yet another plan. You have no idea what a service you have done to those of us who can't lose weight on a straight downward spiral. Thank you!
Joycelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 09:12 AM   #65
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: momw3ds
me too

I too get sooooo discouraged to not see the scale go down daily as it did in the first week. I have really struggled with the last 6 lbs that I have lost. It really only took 4 weeks to loose those 6lbs. I lost so much in the first week and then went to a slow but steady loss. My carbs a varied between 20 and 30 and I feel soooo guilty when I lean toward the 30ish end of that self imposed range. I am going on a 10 day vacation next week where we will be on the go everyday for most of the trip. I tend to do well on the road but I am totally scared. I also will have limited access to the internet and these boards, even though I mainly just "lurk", have been my lifeline for the past 5+ weeks. My plan is to always have food that I can eat. I am not gonna stress about carb levels (within in reason of course), I don't have too much of a problem with temptation as of yet. As long as Im not swimming in taters and noodles I'll make it. My advice, if you want it, plan ahead and make things that you know are LC and have them for emergencies. Better a LC piece of chocolate cake rather than a full on carb demon.
P.S. Thanks TaDa!! I read your posts everyday for encouragment :blush:

7/1/10 ~ 202
8/7/10 ~ 197 Onderland at last
momw3ds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 09:16 AM   #66
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Aijarama
Stats: 280/245/175
WOE: Paleo/LC
Start Date: 11/06 @280, 5/10 @242 8/14 @ 245
This is great! And you're right, we press on, because where would you be if you'd stopped?

Can't forget how far we've come!
Aijarama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 09:48 AM   #67
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mayleesa
Stats: (5'5") 209/176.4/140lb
WOE: low carb
Start Date: 12/26/2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by martiangurll View Post
TaDa! I think I love you! Not only are you a woman after my own heart, but you added graphs and stuff. Thanks, I know this thread will help a lot of peeps like me, Desparate to get thin...
this exactly!!!!!! i could not have said it any better.......thank you sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo o much
mayleesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 12:57 PM   #68
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: TaDa!
Stats: 236.5 /132.5/ 128-133 @5'3"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance (Vegetarian + Fish)
Start Date: 6/03 & Goal! 5/06
I am glad that this is helpful to a lot of peeps .. I put it together for a talk I was asked to give and realized it might be helpful to others here ...

I have always had the sneaking suspicion that, as Moonmirror put it, a lot of the desperate "stalled" folks here were not getting a true sense of things ... when you bounce up and down so much (as many of us do), it is very difficult to see the amazing downward trend that is actually happening if you can only stick to it and not get spooked ....
TaDa! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 01:35 PM   #69
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LuvMy2Stinkers
Stats: 158/130/125 5'2
WOE: Atkins/LC
Start Date: May 2010
Thanks so much for this post, Tada! I've been fluctuating between 141-143 for weeks now and the only thing that keeps me going is knowing that I've come this far! I know I'll continue in my downward spiral soon enough, I just have to try not to be so impatient!!!!!
LuvMy2Stinkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 06:17 AM   #70
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: PianoAl
Stats: 165/155.5/155
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: June 2010
Thanks, Tada. I've printed the post out to have by the scale for DW.
PianoAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 08:57 AM   #71
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Patlaf
Stats: start 226/178/145
Pauline, thanks for another fantastic post. This one, together with your TaDa A Lifetime Journey post should be required reading for all low carbers. It is wonderful that you are so willing to give so much time to helping others on their rocky road.

Pat
Patlaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 09:32 AM   #72
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: AngieCakes
Stats: 198/143/135-140
WOE: Atkins/Pre-Maintenance
Start Date: 1/8/2010
I'm a visual person so I love how you've graphed everything out. It really shows the truth in the fact that there is a consistent trail downwards even when it doesn't seem that way from day to day or week to week.

Thanks Pauline!
AngieCakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 10:29 AM   #73

Gallery: kristina
Stats: Pant size 22W Petite
Start Date: July 17, 2014
THAT IS INCREDIBLE!!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH for posting this!!!
kristina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 01:17 PM   #74
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: keelysmom2000
Stats: 215/215/150
Start Date: 5/28/14
Thank you!!! I really, really, really needed this today
keelysmom2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 01:39 PM   #75
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: 2BoysMom
Stats: Too pissed to talk about it
WOE: Keeping it simple- Hi Fat, Mod Protein and Lo Carb
Start Date: 1.26.2004 - 1st time. This time 1.1.2014
I visit this post once a day now just as a very important reminder to myself.
2BoysMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 04:56 PM   #76
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Rebecca1979
Stats: 286/239/199 (for now!)
WOE: 2208/442 (11/5/13)
Start Date: October 19, 2013
Thank you!
Rebecca1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 06:38 AM   #77
Senior LCF Member

Hi Pauline,

Since I printed out this wonderful post, it's been on the breakfast table, so I end up looking at the graph every morning. I've been noticing some things that have made me curious. Please forgive me if this sounds critical (it's not), but I wonder about the following every morning:

The two-month time period you chose to highlight is the last two months of the annual chart. That's one of the most up and down segments, and perhaps the two-month period in which you lost the least. I'm wondering whether you were starting to level out during this time.

So what does the time period immediately following this graph look like? Did you continue to lose at such a good pace?
Old 07-20-2010, 09:44 AM   #78

The graph was only useful to show as long as my wol (food and exercise) was consistent and a year's data / graph was the kind of timeframe that would be a good sample for the talk I gave.

I did have some trouble with going off plan, etc starting in July of that year which is the reason I did not reach goal until 2006 and so any graph would not be of use. If you'd like more specific info on that and how I dealt with it, etc., you can click on the link in my sig below (weightloss journey link).

I can tell you that my weightloss pattern has changed, now 6 years later when I have put on a few here and there in the last few years. I am now 45 and I attribute the changed weightloss pattern to some perimenopause (and having had a partial hysterectomy some years ago). My pattern now is 3 weeks of up and down and then a drastic weightloss on week 4. My weightloss is much slower now -- but that likely also has to do with my own unwillingness to eat what might make me feel like I'm on diet rations as that helps keep me from binge-eating, and nothing else. Back during that year I would eat 1400-1500 calories and 25-30 net carbs. Now, if I need to lose weight, I will eat say 1600-1800 calories and 50-80 net carbs ...

If you are a graph man, you will know that you cannot really compare different periods of time for weightloss, unless everything else is kept constant .. So me as science experiment is only useful in certain increments, lol!

hth!

Pauline

Stats: 47 Years Old & 5'3" tall
Weight: 236.5 (43 bmi) / 132.5 / 128-133 (size 4/6 .. 23 bmi)

*Weekly Weigh-In 7/10/12

My Journal
Year One Weightloss and Chart
My Weightloss Story
Old 07-20-2010, 09:47 AM   #79
the condiment queen

Gallery: pooticus
Stats: 314/220.4/150
WOE: PersonalPlan
Start Date: Nov.20, 2007 (restart)
Awesome post Pauline! Thanks for putting it together!
pooticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 04:36 PM   #80
Senior LCF Member

Thanks, Pauline, that makes sense.
Old 09-03-2010, 05:41 PM   #81
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MamaAngie
Stats: Angie 265.0/188.8/165.0
Start Date: Restarted 05/18/11
TADA, I'm in awe of your success, story, journal and charts. You are such an inspiration to all of us. You should write a book, but I guess you have already done it, huh!?! I would buy a copy for sure. Thank you for sharing them all with us!

Bless your heart!
MamaAngie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 12:47 PM   #82
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: glenda1962
WOE: Low Carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaDa! View Post
That would be a great attitude! I see some people here with that attitude and they are either (lucky to be) not so concerned with getting all the weight off because they feel great and healthy, or they are simply candidates for sainthood ...

I was and am neither! I was HELLBENT on getting the weight off, but I had to teach myself to trust the process and to trust the science and to trust that If you do all the right things, success will follow. You cannot help but achieve your goals ...

I guess the biggest thing I have taken from my journey is that the key to success is:

Blinders!!!!

You just do it and know that it will come off ... and if, you stall as per Dr. Atkins guidelines, you have a comprehensive guide to working through what it is, but until you are at that point, you need do nothing but follow the plan ...

Chances are nothing you do will change your rate of weightloss over the longterm anyhow!!!!!
I have a question. My daughter is doing this woe and so far she is doing great. But, she said that she hasn't lost weight in a week and she's very tempted at quitting! She has the attitude that well, I'm not losing....I may as well eat what I want. Me on the other hand I feel am in a different place because even though I have lost each week quitting doesn't seem like an option to me.......I can't believe I'm saying that cause I've always had the same attitude about it as she does. I just feel so different this time....I'm not sure why but I have a totally different out look. Anyway, my question was about stalling. So, it's not really a stall until a month? I didn't know that. I did tell my daughter though that just keep doing the plan and she would see it come off. All our bodies are different.
Old 10-19-2010, 01:02 PM   #83

Gallery: peanutte
Stats: 188/118
WOE: Atkins maintenance
Start Date: 01/03/09
If any of us go looking for an excuse to quit, we can certainly find plenty. But it's good that quitting doesn't feel like an option to you.

Yeah, a stall is pretty much a month (or I think Atkins says six weeks) with no loss in weight or inches. If you keep telling yourself that this is worth it, and quitting is not an option, I bet you'll do well. Your daughter has to make her own decisions but I hope she doesn't give up, because a lot of people see a hesitation on the scale shortly after they finish the first two weeks of Induction.

Last edited by peanutte; 10-19-2010 at 01:05 PM..
peanutte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 01:44 PM   #84
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: glenda1962
WOE: Low Carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutte View Post
If any of us go looking for an excuse to quit, we can certainly find plenty. But it's good that quitting doesn't feel like an option to you.

Yeah, a stall is pretty much a month (or I think Atkins says six weeks) with no loss in weight or inches. If you keep telling yourself that this is worth it, and quitting is not an option, I bet you'll do well. Your daughter has to make her own decisions but I hope she doesn't give up, because a lot of people see a hesitation on the scale shortly after they finish the first two weeks of Induction.
Hello, My daughter is 24 and she weighs I think around 210 now. Shes only been doing this since 9/28/10~! I told her to think of all the great things that she CAN have and not the things that she cant have. Also, if you have a real craving for something I believe that you can find a LC solution for that craving. She loves pasta! Don't we all!!!LOL!!!! But she is wanting that real bad. She also has a friend her age that is NOT heavy at all who went on this "diet" and she has lost some weight and she has a "cheat day" so my daughter is considering doing a cheat day every week. I told her that I don't think it's a good idea. What do you think?
glenda1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 02:21 PM   #85

Some people can do a regular higher-carb day and get right back on their low-carb plan--and many others either cannot, or choose not to. Here are some reasons why a higher-carb day, whether you want to call it a "cheat day" or whatever else, is not a good idea for many people who are trying to lose weight:

Let's say you (when I say "you" I mean "anyone", not specifically you, Glenda) are probably trying to break free of cravings for high-carb foods. That's very likely part of the impetus to try a low-carb plan.

For many people, the intensity of their cravings is a clear sign that those are the very foods which need to be avoided. The best way to accomplish this is to get off the carbs, not indulge in them. Continuing to eat them merely feeds those cravings. Some people find that if they tough it out for a clean two-week Induction, they are past the worst of those cravings and only find them triggered again if they increase their carbs past a particular level. (That's what Stage Two is for: to continue losing weight while personalizing your own plan--by finding your effective carb level, whether lower or higher than you expected, and deciding what types of foods you can tolerate, and which ones are problematic.)

Some people really don't have a problem having a higher-carb meal, and resuming their low-carb diet the very next day. Others find that they have unleashed a binge that turns into a day, a week, a month...several months. It depends upon the person. It's a chance some are willing to take, and others won't touch it with a ten-foot pole. That's a very individual thing.

Another reason not to do a cheat day is: if someone is on a plan that suits her for the long haul, she shouldn't feel like she needs to stray from it when she's only been on it for a little while--especially not with so much weight to lose. If we start a low-carb plan with the idea that we're impatiently waiting to have pasta again, then it doesn't seem to me like we're really comfortable with that low-carb plan. I see no reason not to look for something else that seems like a better fit--unless there is some medical reason a person needs to be on low-carb.

These are just my opinions. I think your daughter needs to be very clear with herself about what she wants to accomplish and how important it is to her. It doesn't matter if her non-overweight friend gets to go on a certain type of diet and have a cheat day. That's irrelevant. If your daughter wants to get the weight off and develop healthy habits now rather than deal with it twenty years down the road, she's going to have to make that decision for herself, for her own reasons.

Meanwhile, you should continue making your decisions for yourself too, and enjoying the results. Best of luck to you both.

Last edited by peanutte; 10-19-2010 at 02:23 PM..
Old 10-19-2010, 02:22 PM   #86

Glenda .. I know you are doing your own lc plan and it is working great for you!! Is your daughter doing the same? It may be that she is eating things or quantities that can keep her from losing weight .. I guess what I posted originally applies once you know you **can** lose weight on a particular plan ... If this is the first week that she did not see a loss (i.e. she was losing up to now), then, yeah I would hope she could stick it out because people can and do have weeks of what appears to be no weightloss ..

The chart I posted here .. you can see if I even weighed only once a week, it might appear like I was not losing at all .. unless I had weeks of information to see that indeed I was .. How often she is weighing could also be a factor ...

You doing your own lc plan works for you right now, but it may be that it will not always work and then, like with your dd, I'd suggest maybe checking out some of the books for a plan with good clear guidelines .. it may be she is not ready to go that route, and in that case, just sticking with a "better" diet than she had before starting is also an amazing step in the right direction ...

The cheat day is the kiss of diet death for someone who is not really wanting to diet .. that said, if she really really likes that idea, it would be a good idea to find a diet plan / book that does include that!!! They do exist .. I do believe you have to be somewhat stricter 99% of the time .. It sounds like she is needing some structure .. while you are thriving on your very sensible plan. We are all different! Yanno??!!

Pauline
Old 10-19-2010, 02:27 PM   #87

TaDa, I hope it's okay that I replied at length. I realize this is kind of "your thread" that you are hosting, in effect. Didn't mean to step on any toes!
Old 10-19-2010, 02:37 PM   #88

No problem Peanutte, I am sure Glenda would want to hear your advice .. you should know, Glenda is not on Atkins, and I am not sure about her dd ... Glenda is eating pretty much good carbs in reasonable portions, sometimes a *little* more carby than Atkins folk, and she is losing really well ...
Old 10-19-2010, 02:39 PM   #89
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MamaAngie
Stats: Angie 265.0/188.8/165.0
Start Date: Restarted 05/18/11
I totally agree with peanutte and Tada, just be focused and I would add to that that NOTHING, I repeat, "NOTHING" tastes better than thin and healthy feels!

Glenda, God has given us the most beautiful gift ever ... "FREE AGENCY"! We get to choose what is good or bad, right or wrong for ourselves.

Just choose the right and let consequences follow. Food has gotten all of us here at this website where we are today. Feeling sick and miserable and living as prisoners of our own bodies.

As we choose to stay away from the "enemy" (in this case all the refined carbs -- sugar, flour, grains, starches), we get stronger, healthier and as the weight comes off the stronger and healthier we feel and in consequences of that we are on our way to freedom!!!

To me it's all about choices we make on a daily basis ... so, what I am going to choose today and for the rest of my life is actually up to me!

Remember, if it's to be it's up to me! And this is the attitude we have to have in order to succeed in anything in life!

Good luck and may God bless you with wisdom!
265/188.8/165
"NOTHING TASTES AS GOOD AS THIN FEELS"!
What you are, is God's gift to you! What you make of yourself, is your gift to God!
Remember: "Losing weight is hard. Being fat is hard. Choose your hard."
MamaAngie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 02:51 PM   #90

Quote:
Glenda is not on Atkins, and I am not sure about her dd ... Glenda is eating pretty much good carbs in reasonable portions, sometimes a *little* more carby than Atkins folk, and she is losing really well
Sounds good to me. I like Atkins, but I don't see it as the be-all end-all. Lots of people do things differently and as long as it works, I don't have a strong opinion either way!