Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2011, 03:47 PM   #31
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: spirilis
Stats: 265/230/200; 5'11"
WOE: N.Ketosis
Start Date: Dec 2010
Thanks for the post! One thing I am struggling to understand about ketosis and LC weight loss is why the body burns body fat stores even though you're eating at least your fair share of calories (in fat) to keep going... Does the body magically ramp up its metabolism to handle the incoming fat from both body fat-store secretion and dietary fat (from the gut)? I don't think I ever really "notice" that, as my energy levels (so far, under Atkins) are usually the same no matter if I've been fasting for 8 hours or just ate a big steak. Or maybe that's something that doesn't register with my consciousness? Otherwise it makes no sense to me, as it still sounds like a calories-in/calories-out problem. Regardless I am not going hungry and I am losing weight!
--
Well surfing the wikipedia entries for all these biochem pages is helping, but still not satisfying my need for a good "scoreboard" to understand it all...
I guess this question is the big $200 million dollar question?

Last edited by spirilis; 01-27-2011 at 04:02 PM..
spirilis is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-2011, 04:45 PM   #32
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
spirilis,

All fat has to go through several pathways to get from the gut to the cells and back out before it is used as energy. You do not use fat directly from the gut. So, all the fat you use is coming out of the fat cells, and changed to ACo-A, before it is turned to ketones for use.

You are not using consumed fat and stored fat at the same time. You are only using stored fat. There is an influx as you digest the fat, and a constant "out-flux" as the cell need energy. If there is glucose available in the blood, the "out-flux" is slowed or shut down until the blood glucose drops. The influx continues until all the fat is digested.

I hope that helps.

ETA: You may not feel a burst of energy when in ketosis, as much as you may notice the lack of "after meal need for naps", or that "I gotta stop right now and find something to eat" thing that happens when consuming carb meals. This may be the increase in metabolism you get on LC.

Last edited by drjlocarb; 01-27-2011 at 04:56 PM..
drjlocarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 05:28 PM   #33
Senior LCF Member

Yes, it does a bit. So after you eat a steak, your body's mainly burning ACoA/Ketones sourced from adipose cell-fat and the fat from the steak (after it's absorbed by the intestine and tossed into the lymph system, then into the blood stream) is being temporarily stored in the adipose cells (until the steak's fully digested, after which that fat will come right back out of the adipose cells to meet the body's energy needs)?

And the last point is a very good one--especially considering Gary Taubes and his "20 calories a day" argument... The carb-crash for me tends to last for a couple hours, that's a couple hours where my body could have burned a lot more calories than it does. I guess it really does add up--on top of the fact that I really am eating less than I used to (I've noticed my grocery bill this month has been significantly lower than the average over the past year! despite the fact that I'm eating animal meats, which are supposedly "more expensive" than carb-foods)

Last edited by spirilis; 01-27-2011 at 05:30 PM..
Old 01-27-2011, 06:55 PM   #34
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Basically that's it.

There are a lot of steps the body has to take to get that fat stored and reused.. Digested fat-> fatty acids->changed into triglycerides in the blood->cross the cell membrane-> stored-> passed back out to the blood->pick up by the liver and muscle cells->cross that cell membrane->turned back into fatty acids->converted to ACo-A ->converted to ketones->back out of the cells to the blood as ketones-> pick up by the cells to be converted to ATP(tiny cell energy).

As you can see, it is much easier to use glucose. Absorbed from the gut into the blood->enter the cells->converted to ATP.

There is a lot of energy "wasted" to supply the cells with ATP from fat.. All those steps in the usage of fat, take energy to produce the different configurations and membrane crossings. That is why the body will use and want carbs(and to a point, protein) first.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:00 PM   #35
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

A calorie is a unit of energy that it takes to burn a gram of fat/sugar to ash. As you can see, the body does something completly different with a gram of fat/sugar.

So, is a calorie a calorie?
Old 01-27-2011, 07:47 PM   #36
Senior LCF Member

Ahhah, makes lots of sense now. Energy is lost in the bureaucracy of burning fat.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:47 PM   #37
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sarahsmile11
WOE: Atkins
Quote:
Originally Posted by pooticus View Post
I think I've got it! (Think My Fair Lady)

She thinks she got it!

The rain in Spain stays mainly on the plains. (We think she's got it!)

The pyruvate turns mainly in to lactate. (Oh yes she's got it!)
I think this'll be a hit on iTunes

Great explanation, Drjlocarb! Brought me back to my Molecular and Cellular Biology days... :wistful sigh:
sarahsmile11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 06:37 PM   #38
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ibtjs
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 1/1/2011
nice explaination of the krebs cycle
ibtjs is offline   Reply With Quote