Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2010, 08:24 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: girl81
Stats: past/100/healthy
WOE: unprocessed
Greek yogurt digestion questions

Did plain greek yogurt make you very gassy when you first added it to your diet?
If so...
Did your body eventually adjust?

It has caused much more gas for me (and my friend who started it at the same time) than other plain yogurts containing active live cultures. Any ideas as to why greek yogurt would cause so much more gas? Could it be the additional protein?

(I have tried both Dannon 0% and organic Oikos 0% with the same results)

Also; What form of protein is in greek yogurt? Casein?

Last edited by girl81; 04-05-2010 at 08:26 AM..
girl81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-2010, 09:04 AM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: lisabinil
Stats: 287/Restart 206/177/160 5'6"
WOE: Healthy Carb for Optimum Health
Start Date: 2/4/10
Greek yogurt usually does not cause gas-in fact people who have problems with dairy are often told to try Greek yogurt. The protein is casein same as cottage cheese. Are you lactose intolerant?

Last edited by lisabinil; 04-05-2010 at 09:08 AM..
lisabinil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 09:06 AM   #3
GME
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 Trying again...223/204.6/146 5'7
WOE: JUDDD/LC/Gluten & Dairy Free
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
It doesn't cause any gas issues for me. I usually eat the full fat when I can find it.

I don't know about the protein type.
GME is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 10:41 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Thank you ladies. I may be somewhat lactose intolerant.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:55 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ljguitar
Stats: 350++/under 240/wherever 30 net carbs a day leads
WOE: 30 net carbs a day or less...unclean eating
Start Date: August 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by girl81 View Post
Thank you ladies. I may be somewhat lactose intolerant.
Hi g-81…
I suggest you try the full fat versions before you decide anything about intollerances.

I find that yogurts which are less than full-fat either have gelatin for thickening, and different taste than the full-fat versions. This is low carb we are eating not low fat, and there was a considerable difference in taste of the full-fat and 2% versions I tried of the FAGE Greek yogurts.

Carbs are usually less with the full fat versions as well.

It is another reason I build my own yogurt (half heavy cream/half whole milk). Flavor is king!

…The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese…
ljguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 11:12 AM   #6
IDT
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: IDT
Stats: 152/139/125 5'6"
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Atkins 2004
Are you buying sweetened? buy unsweetened plain to be sure you are actually sensitive to the yogurt. generally speaking, the whole point of yogurt is that the bacteria digest the lactose. so people with milk allergy or lactose intolerances can often eat yogurt but not milk, 1/2 & 1/2, butter, etc.
IDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 01:30 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks guys.
I have been buying only organic plain, unsweetened, absolutely no fillers (gelatin, etc). I add nothing to it, no sweeteners.

ingredients:
CULTURED PASTEURIZED ORGANIC NONFAT MILK. CONTAINS FIVE LIVE AND ACTIVE CULTURES INCLUDING L. ACIDOPHILUS, BIFIDUS, AND L. CASEI

Last edited by girl81; 04-05-2010 at 01:54 PM..
Old 04-05-2010, 01:31 PM   #8
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: afuentes
Stats: 188/145/130 - I am 5'6"
WOE: Primal/low carb with weight training
Start Date: honest restart - 11/20/08
Love plain Fage yogurt - delish. I sweeten it myself.
afuentes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 01:34 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: FitnessWanabee
Stats: unfit/getting there/stud
WOE: Moderate everything
Start Date: Restart August 2012
Oh god I love my FAGE with berries!!!
FitnessWanabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 01:38 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: StephV
Stats: 150/134.0/130
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 1/1/10
Hmm... I also have not experienced gas, I added greek yogurt a few weeks ago and I'm LOVING it!

On a side note... I went to Trader Joe's over the weekend where they have their own greek yogurt brand and a lot of selection(unlike my usual grocery store) and I was able to compare the carb counts in the 0%, 2%, and full fat greek yogurt... The weirdest thing, the 0% was 7 grams of carbs per cup, 2% was 9 grams and the full fat was like 11 or 12 per cup... Something like that... I was so confused.... I got the 0% and full fat and let me tell you the full fat was SOOO delicious. But anyway I was just wondering why that was contrary to what I've been hearing that the Full fat is less carbs?

Last edited by StephV; 04-05-2010 at 01:40 PM..
StephV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 02:23 PM   #11
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Kiley2801
Nope never caused me any issues.
Kiley2801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 03:30 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: clanger
Stats: 5' 0" Size 22 / Size 16 / Size 10
WOE: Targeting (70/25/5) ratio
Start Date: Restart: 31st August 2012
I also have the Total (think the brand is Fage in the US) full fat Greek yogurt occasionally, and it doesn't cause me any problems either. Could you try switching brands (again), or switching to full fat?
clanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 04:26 PM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephV View Post
...The weirdest thing, the 0% was 7 grams of carbs per cup, 2% was 9 grams and the full fat was like 11 or 12 per cup... Something like that... I was so confused...
Hi Steph…
I cannot speak on behalf of (or in detriment to) commercial yogurt. I make all ours from half heavy cream and half whole milk.

It has about 1/2 the carbs that way compared to what it'd have if I made it with all milk, or low fat milk.

Cream is about 6.6 carbs per cup and whole milk 11 carbs a cup. Non-fat milk is 12 carbs a cup. So if I made it with non-fat it would be thin (as in runny) and still over 8 carbs per cup even factoring in the lactose which is eaten by the bacteria (some say yes it does eat about 1/4 the carbs others say it doesn't).

Half cream and half whole milk starts out at 8.8 carbs a cup, and after incubation I call it 6 carbs per cup.

Heres the deal...
If the same product is made with the identical process and recipe, one with cream and the other with non-fat milk, then the one made with more fat will be less carbs. So unless they are altering the process or adding things to the low fat versions the high fat will have less carbs.

Also, no matter which way they build it, the high fat version will always have better natural taste and flavor.

A question then Larry? Why not just make it totally from Heavy Cream?
Well, I did a couple batches that way and it's about $18 gallon as compared to half cream and half milk and the carbs are only fractionally less per cup (about 6 versus 8) and the cost is $10 gallon.

The texture was identical.

I’ve built all our yogurt since the fall of 2009, and build it a full gallon at a time in quart mason jars (it saves for up to 6 weeks in the fridge). It is about 85% as thick as FAGE which is strained through some sort of filter to drain off the whey (which also lowers the carb count).

When I did that to the all heavy cream version , it was like soft cheese (think cream cheese) only less strong flavored. It was too much work, too expensive and delicious. When I want cream cheese I’ll just buy it...when I want yogurt, I like fruit in it, or to add eggs and cook with it as a binder (mac-n-cheese etc).

I even spice up chicken breasts and then smear yogurt over them and then dust on Romano cheese-powder and marinate them for an hour or so and then bake them.

For my uses the uber-thick stuff is not useful, nor particularly affordable.

Hope this contributes to the discussion in a useful fashion...

Old 04-05-2010, 06:00 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: martiangurll
Stats: 250ish/201.5/138???
WOE: HCG at the moment R3P2VLDC33
Start Date: 4/01/10 (Atkins restart)
yummy

ljguitar,

can you describe how to make your own yogurt at home? do you just borrow cultures from a commercial brand yogurt?

Making my own sounds like a great way to be sure I am not getting any unwanted chemicals or carbs...
martiangurll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 09:42 PM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by martiangurll View Post
ljguitar,

can you describe how to make your own yogurt at home? do you just borrow cultures from a commercial brand yogurt?

Making my own sounds like a great way to be sure I am not getting any unwanted chemicals or carbs...
Hi m-gurl…
Yup...sure can.

Pictoral of the process - click

I heat cream/milk to 185°F (85°C) and immediately cool it to 110°F (44°C).

I stir in about 1.5 cups of plain Dannon (with active culture) and then pour it into 4 quart mason jars. I incubate it at 112°F (45°C) for 14-16 hours in our Excalibur dehydrator.

The key to proper incubating it is to get the temp to between 105-115°F (40-46°C) because you can kill the culture at temps above 120°F (49°C).

I’ve heard of people successfully (and easily) incubating in a cardboard box with flaps, or ice chest with lid, a heating pad on the bottom and a couple of towels on top of the pad to buffer it. Set the jars on the towels, and set a couple other towels around it to keep the heat uniform, and then just loosely fit/lift the lid(s) to control temp. If you check it after a couple hours you will know how warm it is (candy thermometer or meat thermometer left in the container would give you a proper reading)

I’ve also heard of someone using the oven light for a heat source and putting the jars/containers into the oven.

The other key bit of info, is once it's incubating, do not stir the yogurt - it breaks it and whey runs out and it becomes thinner/runnier. If you mixed it good before you poured it into containers, it doesn't need to be stirred again.

It will firm up substantially the first 24 hours in the fridge. I use the time of incubation to control how 'strong' a flavor I want. I’ve tried FAGE, Mountain High and Dannon plain as starter, and the best was Dannon, then Mountain High, lastly FAGE (too bland). I use full fat yogurt as starter.

Once I’ve got a gallon in the fridge, I use the last 1/3 jar as starter for the next batch - two times. Then I use commercial again...it weakens with repeat use.

Here is a short pictoral I did recently with instructions as captions...
How to build your own - click (same pics as above)

We love our homemade yogurt.

Old 04-07-2010, 02:15 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Some people use a crockpot/slow-cooker to make yogurt also.
Old 04-07-2010, 02:23 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: IzzyTheTerrible
Stats: 290/269/150
WOE: Listening to my body
Start Date: Every day is a new day. :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
[size=2]This is low carb we are eating not low fat
A bit assumptive don't you think? Lowcarb doesn't mean high fat to everyone, it just simply means reduced carbohydrate intake and you know it. =P
IzzyTheTerrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 07:57 AM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IzzyTheTerrible View Post
A bit assumptive don't you think? Lowcarb doesn't mean high fat to everyone, it just simply means reduced carbohydrate intake and you know it. =P
Hi Izzy…
No, not assumptive beyond the scope of what normal low carb eating/living is for most people. Atkins is not intended to be a low fat plan.

''High'' is a relative term, though I’m sure most conventionally trained nutritionists would consider what most of us low carber type folks eat as high fat levels.

In fact, low fat mixed with low carb can be quite detrimental - if not dangerous - to one's health...it's been a topic of discussion here in the forum many times.

And I didn't say high fat...
I merely said it is low carb and not low fat. The discussion you lifted my quote from is centered around full-fat yogurt as opposed to 0% or 2% yogurts which are often treated with gelatin or other emulsifiers to thicken them up...and the fact that the full-fat versions taste better and have better texture.

Old 04-07-2010, 08:25 AM   #19
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Millie Ivy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post

And I didn't say high fat...
I merely said it is low carb and not low fat. The discussion you lifted my quote from is centered around full-fat yogurt as opposed to 0% or 2% yogurts which are often treated with gelatin or other emulsifiers to thicken them up...and the fact that the full-fat versions taste better and have better texture.

Beyond that, low (or non) fat dairy in the store typically includes dry milk o some degree, which is oxidized cholesterol, which is a big baddie!
I agree ljguitar, low carb plus low fat leaves not a lot for your body to work with! I tell my kiddos that fat is good, and feeds your brain. More we make from scratch the better. I'm disjointed and rambly because my 3 year old is talking to me, sorry!
Millie Ivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 09:20 AM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: martiangurll
Stats: 250ish/201.5/138???
WOE: HCG at the moment R3P2VLDC33
Start Date: 4/01/10 (Atkins restart)
Thanks guys, i would love to make my own yogurt and use the 1/2 cream to get the fat content up actually, once I work my way up the carb ladder on the OWL. The thought of being able to eat yogurt on Atkins may "cure" my icecream addiction which has been a reason to "fall off the wagon" in the past.

Preparing my own food is a fun part of this WOE process.
martiangurll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 11:12 AM   #21
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by martiangurll View Post
Thanks guys, i would love to make my own yogurt and use the 1/2 cream to get the fat content up actually, once I work my way up the carb ladder on the OWL. The thought of being able to eat yogurt on Atkins may "cure" my icecream addiction which has been a reason to "fall off the wagon" in the past.

Preparing my own food is a fun part of this WOE process.
Hi m-gurl…
I love making food (have been the 'cook' around here for a couple decades)

I use the homemade yogurt for cooking as much as eating. It also makes dyno-mite ice cream too!

Old 04-07-2010, 11:55 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for addressing my question:-) I totally agree with you that the full fat yogurt tastes better. SOO much better! Thanks for sharing your pictures of your yogurt making too... This is very interesting I'm still thinking about trying it hopefully when things aren't so busy around my house I can try it.
Old 04-07-2010, 12:56 PM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lighterbeing
Stats: 2much /...I rarely weigh.../160
WOE: Atkins most of the time
Start Date: June 2009
Larry, thanks for sharing the lesson in yogurt making. I may just take on this intimidating task myself now.
I did make my own greek by straining a quart of whole milk organic and was surprised that 50% of it drained off, which made it about the price of Fage. The consistency was about the same, slightly thicker. So, less work for the Fage which does occasionally go on sale. I like the $10 a gallon price the most!

lighterbeing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 02:17 PM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Yeah, Lighterbeing I had the same experience with straining yogurt... Doesn't seem worth the effort to have 50% just drained off... Might as well just buy the greek yogurt. I did try the Trader Joe's greek yogurt over the weekend, I thought it was very good, comparable to Fage... Especially the full fat version... Yum! But I'm with you $10 for a gallon is great!
Old 04-07-2010, 10:02 PM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

I think it should be noted that eating nonfat yogurt does not mean one is following a lowfat diet.

I prefer to get my fats from: virgin sesame oil, coconut oil, fish oil, grassfed beef, evoo, dairy from only grassfed cows.
The dairy from non-grassfed cows has been shown to have lower nutritional value (more omega 6, less omega 3).