Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2010, 12:05 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: texascounselor
Still hungry all the time....

I have been eating steak or beef everyday, and carbs are only in the 4-5 eggs I eat a day... I am still hungry, but I know my calories are way high. Thoughts?

b - coffee, two splenda, tsp hwc - three boiled eggs

l - 9 oz ribeye, water

d - another ribeye

snack... couple of eggs... trying to stay almost zero carbs... but still hungry even w/ the fat..
texascounselor is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-2010, 12:09 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Inglorious
Stats: 198.8/155.0/150.0
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 1/12/2010
How long have you been doing this?
Inglorious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 12:11 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nolcjunk
Stats: Whole foods lc, 110, 5'6
WOE: Atkins - it's a diet
how much do you weigh?

That seems to be around 350 for eggs(I counted 5 total) and around 1200 for the steak if both times it was 9oz, plus the hwc- so around 1650 (I am just estimating).

why no vegetables?
nolcjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 12:15 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

I've been eating this way for about a week... no vegetables because I am trying no carbs other than coffee and eggs...

So, calories are too high? Even though I'm still hungry? So confused.
Old 04-01-2010, 12:15 PM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: laureninva
Stats: 309/215/150
WOE: Atkins forever this time
Start Date: Restart 8/12/09 at 309
Veggies? Stick to low carb ones and they will help fill you up with minimal calories.
laureninva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 12:32 PM   #6
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: JerseyGirl1969
Quote:
Originally Posted by texascounselor View Post
I've been eating this way for about a week... no vegetables because I am trying no carbs other than coffee and eggs...

What's your gender and current weight?
JerseyGirl1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 12:35 PM   #7
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: flatferenghi
9 oz steak is what i would eat waiting for the steak to be ready

I am quite large, and i must confess that on whatever phase of Atkins I may be, 9 oz will not make a dent in my appetite. When I do have steak, it's got to be no less than 1 lb, and usually closer to 2 lbs. I am not encouraging over eating.Try, perhaps, fattier cuts of steak. Also, add some mayo to your eggs. See if that works. I believe, speaking for myself, that I have a leptin problem, i.e. too little of it, or the leptin receptors in my brain do not work well, or both. I cannot believe I am the only one with that problem. Love & Profits: FLATFERENGHI
flatferenghi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 12:36 PM   #8

Gallery: CurlsNCuffs
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2, 2003
Is it just habit?
CurlsNCuffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 12:37 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:

it depends, that's why I asked your weight. How far are you from goal?

Are you truly hungry or maybe just head hunger where you want to eat something?
Old 04-01-2010, 12:42 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

I'm about 135 or so (haven't weighed, just look at sizes) -- female

so confused because I eat fatty, low carb, and then it sounds like calories are too high?

makes me feel like I should go back to chicken breasts... ho hum, guess I was pushing the fat envelope...
Old 04-01-2010, 12:45 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I'm about 135 or so (haven't weighed, just look at sizes) -- female

so confused because I eat fatty, low carb, and then it sounds like calories are too high?

makes me feel like I should go back to chicken breasts... ho hum, guess I was pushing the fat envelope...
1650 sounds like it should be enough for someone of your weight.

Maybe you are one of those people for whom too much fat stimulates hunger- how do you do with less fatty meats?

How did you feel when you did induction with vegetables? Were you also hungry?

Maybe you need more volume to be full- steaks are pretty compact, vs something like a big salad with chicken breast on top.

So do you have any idea how much you have been losing?

Last edited by nolcjunk; 04-01-2010 at 12:47 PM..
Old 04-01-2010, 12:46 PM   #12

Gallery: AllMyPonies
Stats: Start 3/23-235/226.6/160
WOE: DANDR Induction, work out EVERY DAY!
Start Date: It's now or never...
135 and how tall? You may be very close to your optimum weight as it is. Age makes a big difference too.

If you're going to do a plan, find one and stick with it. Atkins, even induction levels, allows some veggies. Besides - they're good for you! You need the fiber. And that's just too many eggs. You should get a more rounded diet.

And what about exercise?
AllMyPonies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 12:46 PM   #13

Gallery: CurlsNCuffs
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2, 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatferenghi View Post
I am quite large, and i must confess that on whatever phase of Atkins I may be, 9 oz will not make a dent in my appetite. When I do have steak, it's got to be no less than 1 lb, and usually closer to 2 lbs. I am not encouraging over eating.Try, perhaps, fattier cuts of steak. Also, add some mayo to your eggs. See if that works. I believe, speaking for myself, that I have a leptin problem, i.e. too little of it, or the leptin receptors in my brain do not work well, or both. I cannot believe I am the only one with that problem. Love & Profits: FLATFERENGHI
NOPE - mine too - turn off switch does not work - mine has never worked! I just have to KNOW I've had enough - and yes I hate it - and yes, I want more! And, yes I look forward to the next meal most days! It sucks! Glad I'm not alone - If I'm not mistaken TaDa talked about this topic at one point too!
CurlsNCuffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 12:53 PM   #14
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: teri f
Stats: 203/127/125
WOE: High fat VLC
Start Date: Original start: January 3, 2001. Restart 6/18/2007
It might be too much protein and not enough fat. Too much protein, not fat can stimulate an insulin response in me. Just like vegetables will. If I up the fat it remedies the problem. I use coconut oil and butter. HTH. Good luck!

P.S. Vegetables are not necessary for good health. There are many of us out here who don't eat many of them and do just fine.
teri f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 12:53 PM   #15
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

very general rule of thumb--it takes calories at 10x your weight to maintain your weight. So at 135, that means you maintain on 1350, give or take your activity level (1350 being lying in bed).

So then, how active are you? Maybe you DO need to eat more?
Old 04-01-2010, 01:01 PM   #16
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

my turn off switch doesn't work well either.

Today had 5 eggs, 2 bacond, broccoli raab, about 6oz pork loin and am STARVING for dinner. I had 1000 calories already.
Old 04-01-2010, 01:15 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Interesting perspectives... I am 36, and have always conditioned myself to eat low carb and lower fat... mainly chicken breasts... I was always hungry then too. I added broccoli at one point, but my stomach reacts 'ugly' to a lot of fiber lately. Since I have been eating beef/steak, I feel great, except my guilty mind (from the past no fat mentality) , and I am still hungry throughout the day.

So many people say different things it is confusing huh?

I want to hear if beef/steak, and eggs is too good to be true? haha... I'm a simple girl.
Old 04-01-2010, 01:18 PM   #18
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: teri f
Stats: 203/127/125
WOE: High fat VLC
Start Date: Original start: January 3, 2001. Restart 6/18/2007
To the op--I don't eat many vegetables because they affect my insulin and BS levels. That is not anecedotal evidence. Its my experience with my own body. There are many other people who experience the same thing.
teri f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 01:36 PM   #19
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: MsWoods
Stats: 399/217.5/169
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 06/22/09
If you are hungry, eat!

I'm reading Atkins 72 for the first time and he expresses this quite a bit. If you are hungry, eat!
MsWoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 03:18 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kit5908
Also - think about skipping the Splenda. Anything sweet keeps me hungry.
kit5908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 03:54 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Tori
Stats: 5'10 223/185/170
WOE: WWPP - Gluten free
Start Date: March 13, 2010/Jan 2, 2013
I had the same kind of issue the first week. I found out when I re-read the 1972 version of Atkins that I needed to listen to my body and if I were TRULY hungry and not just bored or wanting to eat out of habit or for emotional reasons then I should have legal food! Maybe you need to eat 5 or 6 smaller meals throughout the day rather than 3 bigger meals? You might try that. Also, water is filling so try drinking a glass before your meal.... things I tried while battling the hunger. Try getting a copy of the 72 Atkins, it's the best version imho

~ Your past does not equal, nor does it dictate, your future ~

One definition of insanity is: Doing the same thing again and again and expecting a different result.
Tori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 05:29 PM   #22

Gallery: TaDa!
Stats: 236.5 /132.5/ 128-133 @5'3"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance (Vegetarian + Fish)
Start Date: 6/03 & Goal! 5/06
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatferenghi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurlsNCuffs View Post
NOPE - mine too - turn off switch does not work - mine has never worked! I just have to KNOW I've had enough - and yes I hate it - and yes, I want more! And, yes I look forward to the next meal most days! It sucks! Glad I'm not alone - If I'm not mistaken TaDa talked about this topic at one point too!
Yep that's right! No turn off switch even at this weight ... and I have had an awakening the last few years ... my eldest totally self-regulates to hunger ... my 9 year old is JUST LIKE ME when I was a child -- absolutely no shut-off switch. With her I work on portion control - so she can recognize the amount that her body needs. With me, I have to do the same thing and know that the amount I eat sustains this size body, otherwise I will easily eat to a 250-300 pound body (I am 5'3"). At 135 - where you think you are, I could still lose on say 1800 calories - slowly, but still weightloss - I maintain at over 2000 with regular exercise - and yah even at that level, my mind is not satisfied with the food

All that said, OP, Texascounselor, what height are you and what weight are you trying to reach? In other words, how far into healthy BMI are you? If you were 5'6" you'd be under 22 bmi which is at the lower range of weight ... if you are taller, even less ... and in that case, the hunger might just be what you'd have to do to get even lower in the healthy range for your height. Hard to know any of this if you do not know your weight ..

Stats: 47 Years Old & 5'3" tall
Weight: 236.5 (43 bmi) / 132.5 / 128-133 (size 4/6 .. 23 bmi)

*Weekly Weigh-In 7/10/12

My Journal
Year One Weightloss and Chart
My Weightloss Story
TaDa! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 05:39 PM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Wow, good information... I am 5'6, and last I weighed, it was 135. I guess I am having such a hard time eating because my mindset says, 'geeze, you've eaten two steaks' - because a couple of months ago, a steak was 'taboo' in my world... so hard to break the mental conflict.
Old 04-01-2010, 06:23 PM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LindaM
Stats: 188/170/140 5'1
WOE: lower carb watch calories
Start Date: 01/14/2014
hungry

I am farily new to low carb. I started a few years back did it for a short while didn't really get into it. This time I just restarted on March 8. So I am not that familar with all that goes into it. I can only tell you Texascounselor my findings for myself. I have to watch my portions. I am very inactive due to a disability I have. I was stalled for about a week until I cut down on portions. Another thing at first I felt really uncomfortable with the low carb. I am a carb crazy person and had been doing the low fat low protein for years. I rarely ate meat and don't really care about it now. But I wasn't losing weight. The most motivating reason I decided to try the low carb way of eating was because I have high cholesterol. When I ask my doctor how cholesterol works he kept bring up carbs. If eating little meat fat type food was what lowers cholesterol then my cholesterol would be low. I will find out when I go for next doctor appt if low carb has helped my cholesterol level. If its up then I may have to change from the low carb and do something else. After the first couple weeks eating low carb I stopped feeling quite so crazy hungry. Now I do feel hungry but I think this is the way I use to feel when I was slim.
When I was young I remember eating and getting hungry and then eating again. And would be really hungry before eating. I think as I have gotten older I was never hungry because I was eating all the time and full of carbs. Now I kind of like feeling hungry because it tells me I need to eat and that I have used up what I have eaten and when I do eat food is more satisfying. I haven't lost a bunch like some people say they have doing atkins about 9 pounds in 25 days. But I am just getting the hang of it. Point is, I think we make to big a deal about feeling hungry. I feel it often to but eat until the feeling goes away but its a different type of hungry to me. I am kind of enjoying feeling hungry instead of full and bloated all the time. I eat a couple salads a day in with my other food it seems to help curb the need to eat. Maybe its the chewing crunching it takes to eat a salad not sure. I don't know whats going to happen for me down the road in how I eat I am hoping this way turns out to be what I can do for a life time. Its just very different than the way I am use to and I think the mental block I have against eating fat and protein is hard to get over. I am still working on how to cook to get more variety in my meals.
LindaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 05:22 AM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MarcellaSF
Stats: Ugh/Better/Yay
WOE: DANDR
Start Date: Restart 5 June 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllMyPonies View Post
And that's just too many eggs. You should get a more rounded diet.
Gosh, I think a lot of people here would disagree with you on that one. I don't think five eggs is too many at all.
MarcellaSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 06:10 AM   #26
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllMyPonies View Post
135 and how tall? You may be very close to your optimum weight as it is. Age makes a big difference too.

If you're going to do a plan, find one and stick with it. Atkins, even induction levels, allows some veggies. Besides - they're good for you! You need the fiber. And that's just too many eggs. You should get a more rounded diet.
There is no such thing as too many eggs. They are nature's perfect food.
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 06:15 AM   #27
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: torister
Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
There is no such thing as too many eggs. They are nature's perfect food.
Exactly! They are a wonderful food!
torister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 06:31 AM   #28
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Quote:
Wow, good information... I am 5'6, and last I weighed, it was 135. I guess I am having such a hard time eating because my mindset says, 'geeze, you've eaten two steaks' - because a couple of months ago, a steak was 'taboo' in my world... so hard to break the mental conflict.
OK, I got a couple ? here. Are you new to LC eating? You are 5'6" and 135. What goal weight are you trying for? Your BMI is great at that weight and height so are you doing the LC for health reasons?

I'm just confused because I am the same height and when I was at that weight I was considered quite thin.

Just a few simple ? and not trying to pry or flame, just curious.
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 06:50 AM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Glad to hear about the eggs, because I have always loved eggs,,, to me, this is a staple. My height/wt may sound ok, but my frame is very off.. haha... i am a small top/large bottom... would like to adjust the bottom half.. I am exercising as well.

I managed to eat more eggs instead of steak, and dropped the splenda for hwc.. will see.

Thanks much for the feedback.
Old 04-02-2010, 07:44 AM   #30

Gallery: AllMyPonies
Stats: Start 3/23-235/226.6/160
WOE: DANDR Induction, work out EVERY DAY!
Start Date: It's now or never...
Eggs are good food, no argument there. However, there is still the need to supplement the diet - no vit. C in eggs! I hope the OP is taking supplements to fill in the nutritional gaps that an only meat and egg diet has.

What about fiber? Isn't the lack of fiber going to eventually lead to some intestinal issues? Asking because I don't know...
AllMyPonies is offline   Reply With Quote