Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2010, 06:24 AM   #1
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Think Coconut Oil is Making Me SICK!

So this what has been happening since last Tuesday. I am fine when I wake up in the morning. Have my usual cup of tea with 1 tbs of coconut oil. Since last Tuesday I have noticed that right after I drink my tea I start to feel sick to my stomach, get the runs and want to throw up. I am also noticing the same thing right after my afternoon cup of tea. I have been under a lot of stress lately, but not enough to cause all these issue, I believe.

I have been doing the tea and coconut oil everyday for well over 2 months now and this has never happened until now. I did change coconut oil about 3 weeks ago and I'm wondering if that could be the issue, or am I just too sensitive to the coconut oil now? Too much fat? Maybe change oil brands?

Don't know but this morning when I broke into a cold sweat and had to run to the bathroom 3 times I am thinking I should just stop the coconut oil and see what happens. I'm also wondering if it's this brand of coconut oil?

Need some help and insight, please........thanks so much!

A man asked Gautama Buddha, "I want happiness." Buddha said, "First remove "I," that's Ego, then remove "want," that's Desire. See now you are left with only "Happiness.”
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-2010, 06:26 AM   #2
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeb View Post
So this what has been happening since last Tuesday. I am fine when I wake up in the morning. Have my usual cup of tea with 1 tbs of coconut oil. Since last Tuesday I have noticed that right after I drink my tea I start to feel sick to my stomach, get the runs and want to throw up. I am also noticing the same thing right after my afternoon cup of tea. I have been under a lot of stress lately, but not enough to cause all these issue, I believe.

I have been doing the tea and coconut oil everyday for well over 2 months now and this has never happened until now. I did change coconut oil about 3 weeks ago and I'm wondering if that could be the issue, or am I just too sensitive to the coconut oil now? Too much fat? Maybe change oil brands?

Don't know but this morning when I broke into a cold sweat and had to run to the bathroom 3 times I am thinking I should just stop the coconut oil and see what happens. I'm also wondering if it's this brand of coconut oil?

Need some help and insight, please........thanks so much!
Sounds like an allergy or intolerance.
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 06:53 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
Sounds like an allergy or intolerance.
I'm just stumped on why this is happening now. I have been using coconut oil for at least 6 weeks with no problem, then all of a sudden these issues?

Someone suggested the my stress level mixed with the new coconut oil could be causing the problem in another thread I posted on here titled Upset Belly? Maybe go back to the old coconut oil?
Old 03-30-2010, 07:39 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jess70
Stats: 18 to 8
WOE: LOW CARB
Start Date: 2/25/13
Could you be pregnant? Sorry, I had to ask.
Jess70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 07:48 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TerriG
Stats: 236/177/160
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: June 2009
I wonder if it's the fat causing a laxative effect? I get the same sometimes if I have HWC in my coffee in the morning in place of eggs or a mim...
TerriG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 08:09 AM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: kadoatie
Stats: 241.6 - 225.6 - 120
Coconut oil, for me, has always caused that effect. It makes me feel completely nauseous, like I need to vomit, and then I get the runs (sorry, TMI). I tried it a few times and the same thing happens every time. So, I stopped using CO, which was kind of hard because I had heard all of these great things about it, of course but... no point eating something that makes you feel completely sick every time you consume it.
The only other thing you might try, is to have smaller amounts, like instead of a TB use just a tsp. Maybe it won't bother you then.
Old 03-30-2010, 08:16 AM   #7
Thyroid Patient Advocate

Gallery: nonstickpam107
It's ALWAYS made me sick. But that's no surprise...after all, I'm allergic to nuts of some types (coco-nut...) and several other things. I don't do any coconut oil I just maintain.

Pam
nonstickpam107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 08:19 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AnneEliot
Start Date: 10/27/09
Honestly, for me any ingestion of that much of any kind of oil (1 T in only 1 c of liquid) will nauseate me. So in my case it's not an allergy or the fact that it's specifically coconut, it's just too much oil at once.
AnneEliot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 08:57 AM   #9
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: fawn
nausea is the sign of your body taking in too much fat. Has your menu changed at all? And yes, it could be the stress. The first thing to be affected by stress is digestion. This is a fact.
fawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 08:59 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: katherinem
Stats: 134/122/115 5'3''
Start Date: August 2001, recommit March 2014
I used coconut oil for about a month, then started getting really sick, just as you described. It was too bad for me to "push through it", so I gave up the CO all together. It was really stalling me anyway. I started losing steadily after I stopped.
katherinem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 01:34 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess70 View Post
Could you be pregnant? Sorry, I had to ask.
OMG!! No "vessel" to carry the baby in anymore, so that is not the problem! Like the idea, though. Miss my baby days!!

I have lost so well with the coconut oil and my appetite has been so minimal that I would hate to have to give it up. I decided to go back to the old coconut oil I was using and see what happens. I am drinking my tea right now, but like a fellow poster suggested I am going to do just a heaping teaspoon and not a tablespoon. Will let you all know. I think, like many have said, it's the stress on top of too much fat.

Last edited by Beeb; 03-30-2010 at 01:41 PM..
Old 03-30-2010, 02:34 PM   #12

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Yup, too much coconut oil makes me sick..

Beeb: What brand made you sick? Please share, my dear.
CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 02:40 PM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tulipsandroses
Stats: 206/160/150
Start Date: March 2010
How about cooking with it instead? I tried it in my coffee, Yuck! I love to cook with it though.
tulipsandroses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 03:15 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynF View Post
Yup, too much coconut oil makes me sick..

Beeb: What brand made you sick? Please share, my dear.
Not sure it I can say it on here since it is a product that Netrition sells. Let's just say it wasn't the Now brand.

I actually had some Spectrum EVCO in my tea this afternoon, cut the amount to one heaping teaspoon and I'm not having any problems at all. As a matter of fact I'm having your tomato soup right now, CarolynF with a couple of pieces of LC toast. Feeling pretty good!!
Old 03-30-2010, 03:40 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Cedargardenfoods
Stats: 160/150
I dont really care for it, it makes me sick to my stomach
Cedargardenfoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 03:40 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Cedargardenfoods
Stats: 160/150
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulipsandroses View Post
How about cooking with it instead? I tried it in my coffee, Yuck! I love to cook with it though.
In your coffeeeee? is there any benefits
Cedargardenfoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 03:42 PM   #17

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Oooo..I never liked Spectrum myself..
CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 03:46 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynF View Post
Oooo..I never liked Spectrum myself..
And this is the one I started with and have never had any problems with so far. I am just amazed on how well I feel this evening! After this mornings debacle in the bathroom I thought I was going to have to give up my beloved coconut oil.

Now what do I do with 27 ounces of the one that is making me sick? I'm not sure if it's the oil itself or just my intolerance to this brand. I would hate to give it away and cause someone else to be sick!
Old 03-30-2010, 03:49 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MarcellaSF
Stats: Ugh/Better/Yay
WOE: DANDR
Start Date: Restart 5 June 2010
Put it on your outside! Great moisturizer!

(Glad you figured it out!)
MarcellaSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 03:50 PM   #20
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: kadoatie
Stats: 241.6 - 225.6 - 120
Yeah, I use it topically... on my elbows, feet, that kind of thing. Makes them nice and soft
kadoatie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 06:23 PM   #21
Allergic to Carbs- I break out in Fat!

Gallery: Diana
Stats: 176.5/138.8/134 (5'3")
WOE: The Original Atkins
Start Date: 8/11/03 Restart 4/08
Stalled me out, never made me sick or the runs... I do love it though
Diana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 07:02 PM   #22

So now here is another ?. Could it be the Candida issue and my body trying to rid me of it? The first 3 days of doing coconut oil I felt like this, but then it went away and I felt great. That is until I started using this other brand.

Could the other brand that is making me sick be causing me to release more yeast and that is why I'm getting ? But if so, wouldn't it be done and over this, not getting worse?
Old 03-31-2010, 06:02 AM   #23
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: PghPALady1974
WOE: thru my mouth
So you went from a higher amt in one brand to a lower amt in the other correct?
Are you sure it wasn't just the amount and not the brand? Did you try to take just a teaspoon of the offending one to see what happens?
Not sure if one brand can cause you to release more yeast than another, sounds kind of odd to me.
PghPALady1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 06:57 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by PghPALady1974 View Post
So you went from a higher amt in one brand to a lower amt in the other correct?
Are you sure it wasn't just the amount and not the brand? Did you try to take just a teaspoon of the offending one to see what happens?
Not sure if one brand can cause you to release more yeast than another, sounds kind of odd to me.
Well, I did go to a lower amount, but even when I did a lower amount of the offending oil I was getting sick. I think you are correct that one wouldn't cause me to release more yeast.

Ok, this morning I started out feeling ok. Had the morning cup of tea with the smaller amount of the new coconut oil and have just been to the bathroom 3 times already. I'm thinking now I need to lay off the coconut oil for a bit. Maybe it is just the morning cup I need to do without because when I had my cup/coconut oil in the late afternoon yesterday I felt great.

All is trial and error, right, so will try to see if cutting out the oil totally for a bit will help my tummy/bathroom issues.

Thanks all for the help and insight! One of the many reasons I love LCFs!
Old 03-31-2010, 03:56 PM   #25
I'm here to help!

Gallery: SugarFreeSheila
Stats: 141 to 110
Start Date: 2001
I had a bout of nausea after being just a little too liberal with coconut oil in a shake - and haven't gone near it since. Raw organic coconut meat, though, has been a fantastic substitute. It has a carb count much like peanut butter, and really is worth trying. It softens up nicely when the weather warms up - and the top layer is my favorite!! It's just enough.

SugarFreeSheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 08:04 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarFreeSheila View Post
I had a bout of nausea after being just a little too liberal with coconut oil in a shake - and haven't gone near it since. Raw organic coconut meat, though, has been a fantastic substitute. It has a carb count much like peanut butter, and really is worth trying. It softens up nicely when the weather warms up - and the top layer is my favorite!! It's just enough.

Very interesting, thank you! Where does one find coconut meat? Thanks!!
Old 03-31-2010, 08:16 PM   #27

Gallery: Dreamchaser
Beeb, have you tried Nutiva coconut oil? I think that one tastes the best and a lot of people here at LCF have had success with it. I love it. I like to buy it in the gallon sized container here at Netrition.

But the only way that it doesn't give me stomach trouble is by starting out with only a teaspoon on the first day. Then I add only 1 teaspoon every day after that, working my way up to 3 or 4 tablespoons per day.
Dreamchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 08:25 PM   #28
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tulipsandroses
Stats: 206/160/150
Start Date: March 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarFreeSheila View Post

Hi Sheila, is this the same thing as coconut cream/coconut butter or is this something different?
tulipsandroses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 08:38 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamchaser View Post
Beeb, have you tried Nutiva coconut oil? I think that one tastes the best and a lot of people here at LCF have had success with it. I love it. I like to buy it in the gallon sized container here at Netrition.

But the only way that it doesn't give me stomach trouble is by starting out with only a teaspoon on the first day. Then I add only 1 teaspoon every day after that, working my way up to 3 or 4 tablespoons per day.
Got a 54 ounce jug of Nutiva sitting on my counter right now. I started out like you, one teaspoon and was up to 1 tbs 2 times a day before I started getting a bad upset stomach last week. I tried just a teaspoon this morning and I was really sick again. I really love the taste of Nutiva and Spectrum but my body is telling me to lay off the oil for a while. I did cook with about 1 tbs tonight and was ok so I'm thinking of just using it like that for a while.

I may start again after giving myself a break, but will have to see. I just can't be this sick every morning.........I'm running out of magazines in my bathroom to read!

Last edited by Beeb; 03-31-2010 at 08:40 PM..
Old 03-31-2010, 08:56 PM   #30

Gallery: Dreamchaser
Sorry beeb! I never have a problem as long as I start out small and take it slow. I was hoping that would be the case for you too.

Yeah, I agree, maybe you should take a break for a while and try again later or just cook with it for now. What a bummer!
Dreamchaser is offline   Reply With Quote