Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home


Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2010, 06:32 AM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
tulipsandroses's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 4,097
Gallery: tulipsandroses
Stats: 206/160/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 2010
Green Bananas and Low Carb?

Does anyone know if this is accurate?

DIETITIAN'S DESK - Two thumbs up for green bananas
published: Wednesday | June 6, 2007


Rosalee Brown

Some people are shying away from complex carbohydrates such as green bananas because they are under the wrong impression that they are too starchy, too heavy or will make them fat.

However, the green banana is really an excellent food and can be used for any one of the main meals. It has small amounts of proteins, no fat, some calcium, small amounts of B vitamins and is a good source of folacin. It is also a good source of fibre and is high in potassium. But what I am most excited about (which is good news for persons monitoring their caloric and carbohydrate intake such as persons with diabetes and weight watchers) is that the green banana is lower in calories than many other complex starches.

Caloric Profile

The green banana has a relatively high water content and 28 grams of it, which is approximately one ounce, has only 25 calories and 6.4 grams of carbohydrate.
http://http://www.jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/20070606/health/health6.html


Glycemic Index for Bananas
The glycemic index (GI) of bananas varies depending upon how ripe the bananas are. This is because a lot of the carbohydrate in green bananas is in the form of a kind of resistant starch which we lack the enzyme to digest. As the fruit ripens, the starch is converted into readily available sugars.

Banana Carbohydrate Counts - Carb Counts and Health Benefits of Bananas

Last edited by tulipsandroses; 03-28-2010 at 07:16 AM..
tulipsandroses is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-2010, 06:54 AM   #2
krb
Senior LCF Member
 
krb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Dallas, TX, USA
Posts: 502
Gallery: krb
Stats: (313 all time high)255/ 226/ 170 I'm 5'10" & 32 yo
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: this time 12-28-09
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulipsandroses View Post
Does anyone know if this is accurate?

DIETITIAN'S DESK - Two thumbs up for green bananas
published: Wednesday | June 6, 2007


Rosalee Brown

Some people are shying away from complex carbohydrates such as green bananas because they are under the wrong impression that they are too starchy, too heavy or will make them fat.

However, the green banana is really an excellent food and can be used for any one of the main meals. It has small amounts of proteins, no fat, some calcium, small amounts of B vitamins and is a good source of folacin. It is also a good source of fibre and is high in potassium. But what I am most excited about (which is good news for persons monitoring their caloric and carbohydrate intake such as persons with diabetes and weight watchers) is that the green banana is lower in calories than many other complex starches.

Caloric Profile

The green banana has a relatively high water content and 28 grams of it, which is approximately one ounce, has only 25 calories and 6.4 grams of carbohydrate.
http://http://www.jamaica-gleaner.co...h/health6.html


Glycemic Index for Bananas
The glycemic index (GI) of bananas varies depending upon how ripe the bananas are. This is because a lot of the carbohydrate in green bananas is in the form of a kind of resistant starch which we lack the enzyme to digest. As the fruit ripens, the starch is converted into readily available sugars.

Banana Carbohydrate Counts - Carb Counts and Health Benefits of Bananas
so it's just talking about a regular banana before it is ripe? hmmm? who knew? they always hurt my tummy though.
krb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 07:01 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member
 
In2Win's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: NZ
Posts: 598
Gallery: In2Win
Stats: 273/235/140
WOE: LCHF
Very interesting. I think I would try 1/2 a green banana when I need some potassium. I tried looking for salt here that had potassium listed on it, but couldn't find any (from a thread a few days ago about potassium helping muscle camps). This might be a nice little solution as many of the asian fruit markets here sell green bananas as well as plantains.
In2Win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 07:02 AM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!
 
Looweewoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 5,328
Gallery: Looweewoo
Stats: 420/275/220 - 6'2"
WOE: Carnivore/T2 Diabetic
Start Date: Restart@350 09/17/09 The best is yet to come!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulipsandroses View Post
The green banana has a relatively high water content and 28 grams of it, which is approximately one ounce, has only 25 calories and 6.4 grams of carbohydrate.
Which means that most of it's calories are from sugar. A one ounce serving is one slice or so, much less than most people serve. I think this is accurate but misleading. Green bananas are not low carb.

However, if you can afford the carbs and you are not triggered by sugar, it does have a good amount of fat which will help get a wide variety of lipids in your diet.
Looweewoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 07:10 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
tulipsandroses's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 4,097
Gallery: tulipsandroses
Stats: 206/160/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by krb View Post
so it's just talking about a regular banana before it is ripe? hmmm? who knew? they always hurt my tummy though.

Yes its talking about before they are ripe. Green bananas are staples in a lot of Caribbean and Latin dishes. You can't eat it uncooked. Its boiled or fried.

Last edited by tulipsandroses; 03-28-2010 at 07:13 AM..
tulipsandroses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 07:15 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member
 
In2Win's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: NZ
Posts: 598
Gallery: In2Win
Stats: 273/235/140
WOE: LCHF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Looweewoo View Post
Which means that most of it's calories are from sugar. A one ounce serving is one slice or so, much less than most people serve. I think this is accurate but misleading. Green bananas are not low carb.

However, if you can afford the carbs and you are not triggered by sugar, it does have a good amount of fat which will help get a wide variety of lipids in your diet.
That means it would be about 1/4 of a medium banana or less. Not sure I would get much potassium from that for the carb hit I would take. Guess I best stick to nuts & vegs for my potassium fix.
In2Win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 07:20 AM   #7
GME
Big Yapper!!!!
 
GME's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: CA Coast
Posts: 9,601
Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 Trying again...223/211/146 5'7
WOE: Misc.
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
Quote:
Originally Posted by In2Win View Post
Very interesting. I think I would try 1/2 a green banana when I need some potassium. I tried looking for salt here that had potassium listed on it, but couldn't find any (from a thread a few days ago about potassium helping muscle camps). This might be a nice little solution as many of the asian fruit markets here sell green bananas as well as plantains.
Around here, its Morton's Lite Salt and it is in a little blue shaker.

I have found that the electrolyte replacment sports-type drinks have a lot of potassium. My fave is Powerade Zero (SF).
GME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 07:21 AM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
tulipsandroses's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 4,097
Gallery: tulipsandroses
Stats: 206/160/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by In2Win View Post
That means it would be about 1/4 of a medium banana or less. Not sure I would get much potassium from that for the carb hit I would take. Guess I best stick to nuts & vegs for my potassium fix.
Yeah, I don't think it would be beneficial for the potassium fix. Culturally speaking, it might have some benefits for me since this is a staple in my family's cooking.
tulipsandroses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 07:36 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member
 
In2Win's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: NZ
Posts: 598
Gallery: In2Win
Stats: 273/235/140
WOE: LCHF
I appreciate the info though, if I ever really want to enjoy a banana, I will make sure it is greener for fewer carbs.

Last edited by In2Win; 03-28-2010 at 07:39 AM..
In2Win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 08:10 AM   #10
Blabbermouth!!!
 
Looweewoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 5,328
Gallery: Looweewoo
Stats: 420/275/220 - 6'2"
WOE: Carnivore/T2 Diabetic
Start Date: Restart@350 09/17/09 The best is yet to come!
Quote:
Originally Posted by krb View Post
so it's just talking about a regular banana before it is ripe? hmmm? who knew? they always hurt my tummy though.
No, "green bananas", as in certain types of Equatorial cooking are a different type, which never get ripe like we expect fruit bananas to get. They are larger, starchier, less sweet and are used much like potatoes.
Looweewoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 08:37 AM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
tulipsandroses's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 4,097
Gallery: tulipsandroses
Stats: 206/160/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 2010
I don't know about other types of cooking, but in Caribbean cooking, green bananas are not different. They are just consumed when green. When my family bought green bananas, they were stored in the refrigerator if they were going to be boiled or fried or left on the counter to be ripened and eaten.

I don't know about the science of this resistant starch and green bananas. Supposedly it acts like fiber. I need to do some more research when I have some more time.
tulipsandroses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 08:52 AM   #12
Blabbermouth!!!
 
Looweewoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 5,328
Gallery: Looweewoo
Stats: 420/275/220 - 6'2"
WOE: Carnivore/T2 Diabetic
Start Date: Restart@350 09/17/09 The best is yet to come!
Ah, the green bananas I am familiar with in Cuban cooking are also called Plantains and are never used (to my knowledge) as regular bananas.

But I can see how unripe fruit bananas might serve the same purpose.
Looweewoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 09:12 AM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
tulipsandroses's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 4,097
Gallery: tulipsandroses
Stats: 206/160/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 2010
Yes, plantains are much bigger. They are also used in Caribbean cooking, but not as much as the green banana. Banana chips in Jamaica is akin to Potato Chips in the USA.
tulipsandroses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 09:18 AM   #14
Way too much time on my hands!
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 16,050
Gallery: fawn
We have fried green bananas in coconut oil for special occasions. Yes, they are quite good....
fawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 10:15 AM   #15
.
 
ravenrose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: California
Posts: 9,680
Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
put it in perspective though... 6.4 grams of carbs in ONE OUNCE of green bananas. compare that to strawberries.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 04:35 PM   #16
Atkins Ambassador
 
sugarless4life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Norman, Oklahoma
Posts: 14,195
Gallery: sugarless4life
Stats: 5'3 / 100 pounds / 56 yo /maintaining for 9 years
WOE: Lost it with Atkins / RUNNING to keep it off!
Start Date: January 19, 2002 -10 1/2 YEARS ON ATKINS
Quote:
Originally Posted by GME View Post
Around here, its Morton's Lite Salt and it is in a little blue shaker.

I have found that the electrolyte replacment sports-type drinks have a lot of potassium. My fave is Powerade Zero (SF).
And around here, they've changed the name to Smart Balance. Same exact contents as Morton Lite only now it comes in a full-sized salt container.

And I love Powerade Zero too!!!!!!!! Absolutely essential for running outdoors year round in Florida, I can tell you that!



Betty
sugarless4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 06:33 PM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
tulipsandroses's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 4,097
Gallery: tulipsandroses
Stats: 206/160/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenrose View Post
compare that to strawberries.

This is true, but for me, I was thinking of the cultural applications in the way my family eats. Its not eaten alone, or in the way you eat strawberries. It is put in soups or used as the starch in a main meal. I wouldn't do it now, of course. That would come much later in maintenance.
tulipsandroses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 06:41 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!
 
Indychick829's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Indianapolis, Indiana
Posts: 1,529
Gallery: Indychick829
Stats: Highest - 217 / Lowest -160 / Current 170 & happy
WOE: Maintenance - whole foods/fruits/organic meats
Start Date: January 2009. Currently in Maintenance
i LOVE bananas - i've been slowly introducing them into my diet (remember guys i'm on maintenance) and they've been GREAT for me!
but i know i stayed away from them during owl.
Indychick829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 06:42 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!
 
Indychick829's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Indianapolis, Indiana
Posts: 1,529
Gallery: Indychick829
Stats: Highest - 217 / Lowest -160 / Current 170 & happy
WOE: Maintenance - whole foods/fruits/organic meats
Start Date: January 2009. Currently in Maintenance
Quote:
Originally Posted by fawn View Post
We have fried green bananas in coconut oil for special occasions. Yes, they are quite good....
o.m.g. does that sound AWESOME! do you literally just slice and fry in c.o.? just a few minutes? this sounds sooooo decadant!
Indychick829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 06:51 PM   #20
krb
Senior LCF Member
 
krb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Dallas, TX, USA
Posts: 502
Gallery: krb
Stats: (313 all time high)255/ 226/ 170 I'm 5'10" & 32 yo
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: this time 12-28-09
Quote:
Originally Posted by Looweewoo View Post
No, "green bananas", as in certain types of Equatorial cooking are a different type, which never get ripe like we expect fruit bananas to get. They are larger, starchier, less sweet and are used much like potatoes.
oh, like platains.
krb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 06:55 PM   #21
Major LCF Poster!
 
lilly29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,035
Gallery: lilly29
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenrose View Post
put it in perspective though... 6.4 grams of carbs in ONE OUNCE of green bananas. compare that to strawberries.
No, it's saying that it has 28 grams of water which is one ounce. Not that the serving is one ounce.

"The green banana has a relatively high water content and 28 grams of it, which is approximately one ounce, has only 25 calories and 6.4 grams of carbohydrate."

28 g = .98 ounce
lilly29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 06:58 PM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
tulipsandroses's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 4,097
Gallery: tulipsandroses
Stats: 206/160/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by krb View Post
oh, like platains.
No plantains are different. In Caribbean cooking, its the same banana that you would eat ripened. Its just eaten when green.

Here's a typical Jamaican meal with boiled green bananas. Its the item with the least color. There are plantains in here too, but you can see that its totally different
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_YmdKmEDk79...SC03011%5B1%5D
tulipsandroses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 07:03 PM   #23
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
tulipsandroses's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 4,097
Gallery: tulipsandroses
Stats: 206/160/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 2010
Here's something I found about resistant starch, which is what supposedly makes green bananas lesser in carbs. How much lesser, I don't know. The new atkins book does mention that some fruits are higher in carbs when ripened, but thats all they said. Wish they had gone into more details.

Resistant Starch - What is Resistant Starch - Sources - Benefits of Resistant Starch
tulipsandroses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 07:41 PM   #24
GME
Big Yapper!!!!
 
GME's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: CA Coast
Posts: 9,601
Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 Trying again...223/211/146 5'7
WOE: Misc.
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarless4life View Post
And around here, they've changed the name to Smart Balance. Same exact contents as Morton Lite only now it comes in a full-sized salt container.

And I love Powerade Zero too!!!!!!!! Absolutely essential for running outdoors year round in Florida, I can tell you that!



Betty
You are where I heard about it. Strawberry is your favorite, right?
GME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 08:47 AM   #25
Way too much time on my hands!
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 16,050
Gallery: fawn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indychick829 View Post
o.m.g. does that sound AWESOME! do you literally just slice and fry in c.o.? just a few minutes? this sounds sooooo decadant!
yep! It's quite easy and my nieces and nephew love this snack
fawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 10:04 AM   #26
Major LCF Poster!
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Philippines
Posts: 2,916
Gallery: dollkey
Stats: restart 06-11/150.2/150.2/108 ht 4'11"
WOE: Dukan Attack Phase
Start Date: 06/13/11
i miss fried bananas! bananas wrapped in spring roll wrapper, deep fried. banana fritters. yum!
dollkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 11:36 AM   #27
Way too much time on my hands!
 
pocahontas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: living the SLO life
Posts: 15,997
Gallery: pocahontas
Ya know, I nanners. I miss them too.

Once, we had a bunch of banana's that a friend gave us and I was eating one every day and noticed that I wasnt retaining water at all. I mean my ankles were tiny!!!! I typically get swollen ankles and fingers if it's hot outside or I consume too much sodium but the bananas seemed to solve all my problems. I dont eat them regularly, almost never really, but I wonder if it was the potassium?

I look forward to incorporating them when I get to maintenance.
__________________
***Andi***

pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 10:00 AM   #28
Way too much time on my hands!
 
pocahontas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: living the SLO life
Posts: 15,997
Gallery: pocahontas
I ate half of a green banana fried in CO yesterday, LOL! It was delish! I only bought one banana cuz I didnt want to go on a 'nanner binge. Man I cant wait to get closer to maintenance so I can have this more often.
pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 11:36 AM   #29
Major LCF Poster!
 
martiangurll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Denver
Posts: 1,551
Gallery: martiangurll
Stats: 250ish/201.5/138???
WOE: HCG at the moment R3P2VLDC33
Start Date: 4/01/10 (Atkins restart)
Quote:
Originally Posted by In2Win View Post
That means it would be about 1/4 of a medium banana or less. Not sure I would get much potassium from that for the carb hit I would take. Guess I best stick to nuts & vegs for my potassium fix.
Actually you would get a lot of potassium from a quarter of a banana. And they taste really good when you caramelize them. You can add some HWC to slow down the absorption of the sugar and lower the GI. I'd say you would get a good 40 mEq from that tiny portion of banana.
martiangurll is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:15 AM.


Copyright ©1999-2014 Friends Forums LLC. All rights reserved. - Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
LowCarbFriends® is a registered mark of Friends Forums, LLC.