Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2010, 10:32 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: vintage faith
"Going to the bathroom" on Atkins

I just started Atkins 7 days ago and things are going great...I've lost 6 lbs in 7 days! But, I noticed one thing and I don't want to get graphic here but my BM's have decreased greatly. In fact, I haven't gone in 3 or 4 days...I'm not constipted and I don't feel like i even have to. Is this normal for Atkins?
vintage faith is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-2010, 10:38 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nolcjunk
Stats: Whole foods lc, 110, 5'6
WOE: Atkins - it's a diet
No, it isn't normal on Atkins. Unless the volume of food you are consuming is very small.

Are you eating the required amount of induction vegetables? Drinking enough water? You can take magnesium malate and vitamin c capsules to help you stay regular.

The fat, small amount of fiber from veggies, water, and magnesium should keep things functioning properly.
nolcjunk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 10:40 AM   #3
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Not to disagree with the other poster, but Low Carb can do this to some of us. I have a real issue with it, and I KNOW I eat enough fat, veggies and liquid intake for this not to happen, but it does for me.

There is an herbal tea called Smooth Move that works great or you can take this product, Cascara Sagrada, that is working wonderful for me. I tend to like herbal products to help with my problems, but that is just me.

I have heard others talk about magnesium malate before, but have never tried it.

I tend to eat too much fiber in the way of flax, that seems to be another of my problems, and my multi vitamin seems to cause me issues at times. We are all different, but your/my problems seems to be a common problem with some of us on a LC WOE.

Just my thoughts and opinion, nothing more!

A man asked Gautama Buddha, "I want happiness." Buddha said, "First remove "I," that's Ego, then remove "want," that's Desire. See now you are left with only "Happiness.”

Last edited by Beeb; 03-26-2010 at 10:44 AM..
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 10:48 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeb View Post

There is an herbal tea called Smooth Move that works great or you can take this product, Cascara Sagrada, that is working wonderful for me. I tend to like herbal products to help with my problems, but that is just me.

Even though it is herbal it is a very dangerous laxative tea that people can become dependent on, both psychologically and physiologically. Just because something is an herbal remedy does not make it safe.

I would not recommend laxatives. many posters have written on here about becoming addicted to senna teas.

Last edited by nolcjunk; 03-26-2010 at 10:49 AM..
Old 03-26-2010, 10:53 AM   #5
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Sweetalex
Stats: 190/180/135
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2003
It seems to be a common problem from the posts I've read and from my own experiences, especially at the beginning. I always ate plenty of fat and my allowed veggies and still no movement (pardon the pun). I did start taking Magnesium but I didn't notice a huge different but a slight one. After induction, I've added the one minute muffin to my diet (about every 2-3 days) and that really helps.

Drinking lots of water and going for walks always helps too.

Hope things pick up soon. I'm sure many others will have suggestions too.
Old 03-26-2010, 11:53 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: laureninva
Stats: 309/215/150
WOE: Atkins forever this time
Start Date: Restart 8/12/09 at 309
Actually it IS normal when LCing, to have to go less frequently. Think about it, having a BM is getting rid of waste, and when eating LC properly, we are eating nutritious, whole food - not a bunch of sugar and starch and empty calories. More of what we eat is actually being used by our bodies and not expelled in the bathroom. Hope that helps!

ETA - and just to clarify, I'm talking about frequency and even size of BMs - NOT to be confused with constipation.

Last edited by laureninva; 03-26-2010 at 11:54 AM..
laureninva is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 12:01 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: StephV
Stats: 150/134.0/130
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 1/1/10
I've started eating yogurt for breakfast... That seems to help for me. I have the same problem. I tried taking Benefiber and it didn't seem to help too much. I have weird going problems, like I can't break my normal routine or I won't be able or even need to go it seems... So vacations = no go for me... Weird. Idk what is normal for going, but it is nice to go daily to just get your waste out of your body IMO. Of course also helpful is drinking plenty of fluids... Good luck!
StephV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 12:47 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolcjunk View Post
Even though it is herbal it is a very dangerous laxative tea that people can become dependent on, both psychologically and physiologically. Just because something is an herbal remedy does not make it safe.

I would not recommend laxatives. many posters have written on here about becoming addicted to senna teas.
Anything is dangerous and anything can be a psychological or physiological issue if abused. Sometimes we just need some help, in my opinion, when all else fails.
Old 03-26-2010, 01:05 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Anything is dangerous and anything can be a psychological or physiological issue if abused. Sometimes we just need some help, in my opinion, when all else fails.
Sure, we all have to make decisions about what we are comfortable with doing.

But, senna tea has a record of causing dependence, something like magnesium doesn't and that's why I disagree with recommending it to others.

I think someone should try everything first, and then maybe a doctor's visit is in order if you can't have bowel movements properly despite proper hydration, enough fat, supplements like mag, c, probiotics because something must be amiss.

Magnesium usually takes some time to work, plus using capsules and the more absorbable forms like malate helps.

Last edited by nolcjunk; 03-26-2010 at 01:06 PM..
Old 03-26-2010, 01:30 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Tori
Stats: 5'10 223/185/170
WOE: WWPP - Gluten free
Start Date: March 13, 2010/Jan 2, 2013
If you are indeed getting the recommended amount of veggies and plenty of fluids and still not going on a fairly regular basis you may try a prebiotic. I've always had 'issues' in the bathroom no matter what I did until I started the prebiotic. The one I take is called Align but they have lots of different ones that will help to balance out your digestive system and help things along without any side effects.
Tori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 01:34 PM   #11
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Looweewoo
Stats: 420/275/220 - 6'2"
WOE: Carnivore/T2 Diabetic
Start Date: Restart@350 09/17/09 The best is yet to come!
It's true that the foods usually eaten at induction do not leave you with a bunch of waste. It's a very common situation but not a problem. Most of the problem is caused by laxative companies convincing us that the word "regular" means "daily".

If your stools are easy to pass when they do pass, don't worry. Things will become more regular at a lower volume as time passes.

If your stools are difficult to pass, look at things like less cheese and more fat/magnesium.
Looweewoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 01:50 PM   #12
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Viva_Viva
WOE: LC/Paleo-ish
Start Date: Every Day!
When I started LC this happened to me too. I went about a week (5) days or so before passing. Your body doesn't need to eliminate everyday, just like the Looweewoo said above. Every other day or third day can be fine. (This tends to be my schedule) Laxative/fiber companies want their products to make money so you buy them because "you need so much fiber!"

If your stools are fine when things start to go again and there is no straining I wouldnt worry too much about it.

One thing that I do notice is that when I exercise or take a long walk, this tends to get things moving along too!
Old 03-26-2010, 02:34 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: StephV
Stats: 150/134.0/130
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 1/1/10
Good to know that everyday isn't necessary:-) Hehe...
StephV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 02:34 PM   #14
BPM
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BPM
Quote:

I have the problem of not going the bathroom as well and I eat tons of fat and drink tons of water. I am lucky to go once a week and during that week, I have horrible stomach pains from 'not going'.

I cannot drink that smooth move tea. It give me HORRIBLE stomach cramps.
BPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 03:00 PM   #15

Quote:
Not to disagree with the other poster, but Low Carb can do this to some of us. I have a real issue with it, and I KNOW I eat enough fat, veggies and liquid intake for this not to happen, but it does for me.

Just my thoughts and opinion, nothing more!
Just for the record, I did not "recommend" anything to anyone, just suggested they could try these products, as you can see from the this part quoted above from my post. I was just stating what worked for me. And as you can also see I stated "BUT THAT IS JUST ME".

Last edited by Beeb; 03-26-2010 at 03:02 PM..
Old 03-26-2010, 03:02 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 209.5/189.0/185
Start Date: January 2011
I, too, experience a decrease in my bathroom usage. After a few days, I simply took a laxative. I guess it helped me mentally feel "lighter".
PeanutButterLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 03:07 PM   #17

Last edited by Beeb; 03-26-2010 at 03:08 PM..
Old 03-26-2010, 03:08 PM   #18
BPM
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
no matter how you say something, SOMEONE takes it all wrong, says something mean, and now I'm so stressed and hurt that I have eaten potato chips and I'm feeling sick!!

Why do I let what people say or think bother me?
Old 03-26-2010, 03:12 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPM View Post
I have the problem of not going the bathroom as well and I eat tons of fat and drink tons of water. I am lucky to go once a week and during that week, I have horrible stomach pains from 'not going'.

I cannot drink that smooth move tea. It give me HORRIBLE stomach cramps.
That sounds awful. Have you tried magnesium or vitamin c or probiotics?

You need patience with magnesium though, it can take a while to work, it's not like a laxative that causes immediate results.

Like Loo said, cheese can be binding as well.

Exercising also helps with bowel movements.
Old 03-26-2010, 03:14 PM   #20
BPM
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
That sounds awful. Have you tried magnesium or vitamin c or probiotics?

You need patience with magnesium though, it can take a while to work, it's not like a laxative that causes immediate results.

Like Loo said, cheese can be binding as well.

Exercising also helps with bowel movements.
Yup.

Natural Calm at night for over a year, also a magnesium supp. during the day. Vitamin C for years and kydophilous for years.

Nothing helps.

And when I do go, I strain and I go like a rabbit.
Old 03-26-2010, 03:15 PM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Just for the record, I did not "recommend" anything to anyone, just suggested they could try these products, as you can see from the this part quoted above from my post. I was just stating what worked for me. And as you can also see I stated "BUT THAT IS JUST ME".
well, in my opinion, any time we tell someone that something "works great" or is working wonderfully for us it's a recommendation.

No need to get upset just because someone disagrees.
Old 03-26-2010, 03:16 PM   #22
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/138.1/125; 5'1"
WOE: HCG Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG 07/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Looweewoo View Post
It's true that the foods usually eaten at induction do not leave you with a bunch of waste. It's a very common situation but not a problem. Most of the problem is caused by laxative companies convincing us that the word "regular" means "daily".

If your stools are easy to pass when they do pass, don't worry. Things will become more regular at a lower volume as time passes.

If your stools are difficult to pass, look at things like less cheese and more fat/magnesium.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viva_Viva View Post
When I started LC this happened to me too. I went about a week (5) days or so before passing. Your body doesn't need to eliminate everyday, just like the Looweewoo said above. Every other day or third day can be fine. (This tends to be my schedule) Laxative/fiber companies want their products to make money so you buy them because "you need so much fiber!"

If your stools are fine when things start to go again and there is no straining I wouldnt worry too much about it.

One thing that I do notice is that when I exercise or take a long walk, this tends to get things moving along too!

Don't force you body to do something it doesn't need to do. Like Louis Said, if when you do go it moves out easily then everything it fine. there is not much 'fiber' in meat, and the low carb veggies, most of what bulks up your stool is undigested fiber and food refuse and body waste. If you are using most of your food in digestion and absorption, you won't have as much in your bowel. it will wait there until either there is enough to trigger a mass movement, or your bowels absorb enough moisture to make it solid enough for a mass movement.

Taking any kind of laxative just for the sake of movement is like creating an artificial diarrhea situation and your body will not like that. It has a balance it keeps.

If you feel the need to move but cannot get it out, THAT is constipation. Moving only when your body has something to move even if it is less often than YOU think it should be is NOT constipation.

Is your urine Very yellow colored or very dark? If not then you are probably getting enough water and have no need for osmotic laxatives like magnesium. and you especially have no need for purgatives like senna.

lets say you took magnesium. Well all it does is draw water to itself. If you had enough to move and were constipated, it would add water to it and help it move. If you don't have enough to move it's just like adding too much water to a powder shake mix, you'd end up with a runny product and gas.

Lets say you took senna ( smooth move) It is a purgative which means its action is to irritate the lining of your gut and trigger the muscles to spasm. If they muscles spasm against a substance like your bowel contents, the effect is similar to a mass movement muscle contraction, and you go. . . If there is not enough substance to move against the effect is similar to a cramp where a muscle moves against itself with no resistance and pulls other muscles out of place ( aka pain).

Just keep doing what you are doing and instead of the quantity or frequency of your BM, notice the Quality of them. That will tell you alot more about your body's workings.
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 03:16 PM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Yup.

Natural Calm at night for over a year, also a magnesium supp. during the day. Vitamin C for years and kydophilous for years.

Nothing helps.

And when I do go, I strain and I go like a rabbit.
What's your total magnesium intake? Do you drink water? Do you eat lots of cheese?

That is not healthy- to strain and go once a week.
Old 03-26-2010, 03:20 PM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by metqa View Post

lets say you took magnesium. Well all it does is draw water to itself. If you had enough to move and were constipated, it would add water to it and help it move. If you don't have enough to move it's just like adding too much water to a powder shake mix, you'd end up with a runny product and gas.
I always thought it was that magnesium deficiency causes impaired smooth muscle contractions= constipation.

I take magnesium daily and it causes no problems with gas or diarrhea and I probably go every other day. I don't think it makes you go if there is not enough waste, unless of of course you are taking a dosage that exceeds bowel tolerance, just like C.

ETA I think the laxative properties of magnesium apply to things like Milk of magnesia, not chelates like malate

Last edited by nolcjunk; 03-26-2010 at 03:23 PM..
Old 03-26-2010, 03:22 PM   #25
BPM
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
What's your total magnesium intake? Do you drink water? Do you eat lots of cheese?

That is not healthy- to strain and go once a week.
I drink about 100oz of water a day.

Not sure the total amount of mag. I take about 4 teaspoons of the Natural Calm and 2 capsules of the chelate during the day.

I do eat a good amount of cheese, but have gone a week or two without cheese and still have the problem.

I had problems when I wasn't low carbing, so I doubt low carb is to blame.

I have suffered from I(BS) for years. I used to have the opposite problem. The runs daily and horrible cramps, now for the past 3 years or so, just completely plugged up and it causes me horrible stomach pains.

I tried one minute flax muffins, two a day and that helped greatly, but I found myself 'addicted' to them and it was causing me carb cravings so I had to take them out of my diet.
Old 03-26-2010, 03:25 PM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I drink about 100oz of water a day.

Not sure the total amount of mag. I take about 4 teaspoons of the Natural Calm and 2 capsules of the chelate during the day.

I do eat a good amount of cheese, but have gone a week or two without cheese and still have the problem.

I had problems when I wasn't low carbing, so I doubt low carb is to blame.

I have suffered from I(BS) for years. I used to have the opposite problem. The runs daily and horrible cramps, now for the past 3 years or so, just completely plugged up and it causes me horrible stomach pains.

I tried one minute flax muffins, two a day and that helped greatly, but I found myself 'addicted' to them and it was causing me carb cravings so I had to take them out of my diet.
oh wow so you've covered all the bases. There is a probotioc called VSL3 (it is pricey but you can find it cheaper) that has been shown to help IBS patients. Did you have allergy tests to determine if something is making the IBS worse?
Old 03-26-2010, 03:27 PM   #27
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/138.1/125; 5'1"
WOE: HCG Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG 07/2014
Quote:
I always thought it was that magnesium deficiency causes impaired smooth muscle contractions= constipation.

I take magnesium daily and it causes no problems with gas or diarrhea and I probably go every other day. I don't think it makes you go if there is not enough waste, unless of of course you are taking a dosage that exceeds bowel tolerance, just like C.
Well, yes, magnesium deficiency causes a whole host of problems. But in this case I was only referring to the action of magnesium when used as a laxative.

I also take magnesium every evening before bed for many other reasons, not for BMs.

If you take too much Mag, then whatever is in your bowels when the remainder (what the rest of your body didn't absorb and use)arrives, it will wait to be excreted in the bowels like vitamins C and Like vitamin C it is hydrophilic, and draws water to itself. so your bowel contents will swell up like a sponge rather than being ringed out by the walls of the colon and pressure, so in that case you will have more chance to simulate diarrhea and more opportunity to trap gas.

ETA: I guess I should have clarified that in order for magnesium to act as a laxative you essentially have to take more than your body can absorb and use for normal daily functions so that some will arrive in the bowels. IF you are deficient in magnesium and take a small amount expecting a laxative effect, it will most likely be sucked up and used for the other 300+ bodily functions that require it and not be any left for BM's.

Last edited by metqa; 03-26-2010 at 03:30 PM..
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 03:33 PM   #28
BPM
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
oh wow so you've covered all the bases. There is a probotioc called VSL3 (it is pricey but you can find it cheaper) that has been shown to help IBS patients. Did you have allergy tests to determine if something is making the IBS worse?
Yes.

The first time was in 1999. They did blood tests and found I was on the low level of a cow's milk allergy.

Then in 2008, I had a much more advanced testing done with blood work and the scratch test all over my arms and back.

Now it says I am not even slightly allergic to dairy, but just to dust mites and cats, which I doubt causes my chronic constipation.
Old 03-26-2010, 04:44 PM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: HeatherRoss
Stats: 128/122/110 (5'3")
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 2/07-restart 3/20/10(was at goal for 1 1/2 years)
I actually have the opposite happening. I don't go more often but when I do they are looser. Is this normal?
HeatherRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 05:22 PM   #30
BPM
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherRoss View Post
I actually have the opposite happening. I don't go more often but when I do they are looser. Is this normal?
Yes, this is normal.

The body has to adjust to all the extra fats you are consuming.

I had this problem last time I low carbed. I'd much rather have this then the constipation I am suffering this time around.

Embrace it!