Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2010, 06:39 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Nightwolf1972
I need help...

Hi all. Im new to these message boards, but have been reading through them and it seems like a great place to get information and advice. I would like a little advice. 8)

Heres a brief history of me and my Atkins/Low carb diet.

About 3 years ago, when I was 34 years old, I started Atkins out of nowhere, I was sick of being 40-50lbs heavy and decided to try Atkins. I didnt read the book, but I pretty much knew what I could and could not eat for the first 2 weeks. So the first week I stuck to it and lost I think 8 lbs, I couldnt belive it and I was hooked. Over the next 6 months I lost almost 50lbs. And as it usually goes, I stopped the diet for some reason, got crazy with my eating and gained it back over a few years. Sigh.

I have tried to get back on the plan many times, with little success, either I just couldnt stick to it, or I would start feeling sick and have to stop.

However, the last time I started induction which was February 1, 2010 everything went well and I didnt feel bad at all, maybe a couple days. After the first 2 weeks I lost 16lbs which was great, then another 4lbs the next week. The fourth week I didnt loose or gain anything. Not even an ounce difference, which I thought..hmm ok, stick to it. So my weight went from 220 down to 200 in 4 weeks.

Heres my problem. In the last three going on four weeks, I literally havent lost anything. I know about plateuas and hear people talking about it, but after almost four weeks of being very good and not cheating at all...how is this even possible. Ive gained a pound and lost it like two times now and still at hovering at 200lbs. Its really started to irritate me.

I have the ketosis strips and check them every few days, right now im in the moderate, but sometimes slip down to trace, and then back to moderate again, so I know I havent gone out of ketosis.

I still keep my carbs down to about 20g a day, I have been doing extended induction, simply because when I lost 50lbs before, thats what I did. Im wondering if this is what maybe be hurting me. Maybe I need to adds more carbs to get my weight loss going again, as I have heard some people say. But to be honest, it scares the crap out of me, I dont want to gain back what Ive done in the last two months. As you all know, it can sometimes be really hard, if your like me and you eat out alot with your friends. They all having the apps, and breads, and pasta and sandwiches, and Im there with my water or diet coke and a grilled chicken salad. Again to be honest, it doesnt even bother me, I have very good will power and I havent cheated once, but after 3 1/2 weeks of not even losing 1/2 a lb, Im really stressed out and dont know what to do now.

I WANT to lose like 20lbs more, and I dont mind low carb, but Ive stopped seeing results and not sure what I should do. Any advice would be great. Thanks.

-Tony
Nightwolf1972 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-2010, 06:42 AM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Looweewoo
Stats: 420/275/220 - 6'2"
WOE: Carnivore/T2 Diabetic
Start Date: Restart@350 09/17/09 The best is yet to come!
I would want more data to make a reasonable guess. Post some menus, your full stats and the book you are following.
Looweewoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 07:02 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: chiody
Stats: 245/153/165 6'0" Diabetic T2, No Meds 22 yrs.
WOE: LC/Paleo/IF (Maintenance) HbA1C 4.5 2011
Stick to the 20 gms. you lost 20 lbs. already, a good amount for the period. And a stall is just that. Have you been measuring or has clothes fit differently?
chiody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 07:50 AM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Hmm. Some menus. I dont know if Id call them menus, but Ill list some of the things I eat. 8)

A typical breakfast, would be eggs/crispy bacon, a ham/cheese omelet, an atkins breakfast shake, or one of the atkins breakfast bars.

Lunch is pretty much the same most of the time. Salad from the salad bar with lettuce, a few tomatoes, green/red peppers, bacon bits, pepperoni slices, tuna, hard boiled eggs and either ranch or italian dressing. They both have 1carb per 2tbs.

Dinner is usually some sort of chicken, rotissiere or chicken breast with cheese and ham, maybe a small canned ham cooked up, cold cut slices of turkey/chicken/ham cheese rollups. Sometimes I have a bacon cheeseburger no bun of course and a side salad. I am too lazy to cook at times and Ill just got to McDonalds and get a double quarter pounder with cheese and just eat the two patties with cheese and a little catsup. I will also sometimes just have a salad, maybe wiht chicken on it.

For snacking. I eat ALOT of slim jims, they have good amount of protein and like 1 carb. I tried pork rinds one week, they were ok, but I found a barabecue one that was awesome and ate like 2 bags that week. No carbs, but a ton of sodium. I usually drink plain water, but sometimes sneak in a diet coke, I was addicted to these things. I could drink 6 a night no problem. Now I maybe have 1 a day or 3-4 a week. I also like the atkins bars for snacks...the peanut butter chocolate one I like the best.

I havent had bread, pasta, any kind of fruit(which sucks), or any kind of sugary drink in almost two months. I have been really, really good.

As for stats, Im guessing you mean height/weight? I am 5'4, so im a short guy, and when I started I was 220(yikes). I am built muscular though, kind of the husky look. People always said I carried it well and they didnt know I weighed that much.

So thats pretty much what I eat.

Oh, and the book Im following is none. I just watch my food and keep the carbs to 20-25 a day.

Any other info you are looking for?

--Tony
Old 03-22-2010, 07:55 AM   #5
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: AllMyPonies
Stats: Start 3/23-235/226.6/160
WOE: DANDR Induction, work out EVERY DAY!
Start Date: It's now or never...
Tony, it looks like you have a lot of processed meats in your diet. That might be what's doing it. Plus, you don't have a good variety of veggies. Broccoli, cauliflower, stringbeans, asparagus - all are low carb, and full of good fiber.

Vary your fresh meats - broil a steak or fish, or throw some shrimp in a pan with butter, garlic and a touch of oregano. I did that this weekend, and it was so good!

And don't boil your veggies - melt a little butter in a saute pan, and cook your veggies that way. Gives 'em a whole new flavor.

What kind of activity are you involved in?

Hang in there - stalls are the worst, but you'll get there.
AllMyPonies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 07:57 AM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

I suspect the bars and shakes. I also suspect the salad bar, but not so much as I suspect the bars and shakes.

Beyond that you are stalled, it happens to everyone. You can try cutting back on the obvious culprits and see what happens or you can wait and see.
Old 03-22-2010, 08:22 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: fireflyfaster
Stats: 234/150 5'9 BMI 22
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: 4/20/09 - Met Goal April 2010
Tony,

You're on the standard post-induction plateau. It happens to many, maybe even most of us, and lasts from two weeks to two months. After losing 20 pounds in a month at 5'4", your body is readjusting, and more of the initial water weight is becoming "real" losses.

Truly, at this plateau it isn't necessary to do anything to break the stall other than keep on keeping on. I had a seven week stall several months back that ended with 8 pounds lost in 10 days, and I did nothing differently.

Tweak if you like, but don't be too quick to yank a food from your repertoire if you start losing again as soon as it's gone; most likely it's just coincidence. Hate to see people winnow down their available options if they don't have to.

Congrats on a phenomenal start to your weight loss!

Losing/lost your last 10 or 10%? Join us in the Maintain Lane
fireflyfaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 08:31 AM   #8
Junior LCF Member

The salad bar really? Why do you suspect that? Its all veggies. And the bars and shakes..hmm..well Atkins make them, so I didnt think it could be a bad thing. Why do you think this?

Allmyponies,

I guess my veggies come from my salads, and I did forget to list broccoli, I actually eat alot of broccoli. Maybe its the processed meats. Im not as active as I should be. Im gonna start hitting the gym this week again.

Can I start eating low card bread yet, I wouldnt mind a tuna sandwich or something. 8) I remember I used to have the low carb bread, think it was like 4g a slice or something.

Thanks guys for the advice, I appreciate it.
Old 03-22-2010, 08:31 AM   #9
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireflyfaster View Post
Tony,

You're on the standard post-induction plateau. It happens to many, maybe even most of us, and lasts from two weeks to two months. After losing 20 pounds in a month at 5'4", your body is readjusting, and more of the initial water weight is becoming "real" losses.

Truly, at this plateau it isn't necessary to do anything to break the stall other than keep on keeping on. I had a seven week stall several months back that ended with 8 pounds lost in 10 days, and I did nothing differently.

Tweak if you like, but don't be too quick to yank a food from your repertoire if you start losing again as soon as it's gone; most likely it's just coincidence. Hate to see people winnow down their available options if they don't have to.

Congrats on a phenomenal start to your weight loss!
This with the exception of the bars...they do negatively affect some....
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 08:35 AM   #10
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightwolf1972 View Post
The salad bar really? Why do you suspect that? Its all veggies. And the bars and shakes..hmm..well Atkins make them, so I didnt think it could be a bad thing. Why do you think this?
Because it's unmeasured veggies. 30 carbs from veggies will stall you as quickly as 30 carbs from sugar.

Bars and shakes are a very common source of stalls as reported on this and other boards. It's why some people hate Atkins but love Low Carb. The fake sugars and processed food-like items are like sugar to some people.
Old 03-22-2010, 08:54 AM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tina1973
Stats: 294/284.2/1something
WOE: JUDDD 490/2450
Start Date: latest restart 10/1/13
Too much sodium pops out at me. The slim-jims, the processed meats, the burgers from McD's are all loaded with sodium. I would certainly start with cutting out a bit on them.

The shakes and bars can stall some people, but don't affect some so it's hard to tell.

Personally, if I were you. I would forget my dislike of cooking and suck it up for a while. Cook up a few good meals of meats and veggies for your lunches and dinners. Have eggs and bacon or leftovers for breakfast. See how you do after a week.

It's only a week, it worth a shot.

"Never trade what you want the most for what you want at the moment"
tina1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 09:37 AM   #12

Gallery: peanutte
Stats: 188/118
WOE: Atkins maintenance
Start Date: 01/03/09
Quote:
Because it's unmeasured veggies. 30 carbs from veggies will stall you as quickly as 30 carbs from sugar.
Yeah, and people tend to make enormous salads at salad bars. Which means in all likelihood, the extras like shredded cheese, bacon bits and dressing are in greater quantities than you might think. And people aren't very good at eyeballing 2 Tbsp of dressing. I doubt those dressings have only 1 gram of carb per serving.
Quote:
Too much sodium pops out at me. The slim-jims, the processed meats, the burgers from McD's are all loaded with sodium. I would certainly start with cutting out a bit on them.
And the ham, and rotisserie chicken...those things have a lot of sodium as well.

Slim Jims are really not a good source of protein. Read the ingredients sometime. They are not a good food to be eating, by any stretch. I used to like them too, so it's not that I'm just some snooty-snoot. But they are seriously junky, Nightwolf.

Oh, and also, no ketchup.

Last edited by peanutte; 03-22-2010 at 09:39 AM..
peanutte is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 10:06 AM   #13

Gallery: TaDa!
Stats: 236.5 /132.5/ 128-133 @5'3"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance (Vegetarian + Fish)
Start Date: 6/03 & Goal! 5/06
I also suspect that it is just your body adjusting to 20 lbs in a month!!!!! It is very very common!!! I am a woman, but at age 38, 5'3" with a weight of 236, it took me almost three months to lose 20 pounds - and with a mini-stall like you describe in there as well!

I really think you should not go crazy tweaking, although cutting down the sodium and eating cleanly is always a good thing .. I think you need to ignore the scale for the next two weeks - seriously - and just know that your body is doing a re-org before it will be ready to let go of more of your fat.

Congratulations on such a great start!! I am really excited for you!!!!!

Pauline

Stats: 47 Years Old & 5'3" tall
Weight: 236.5 (43 bmi) / 132.5 / 128-133 (size 4/6 .. 23 bmi)

*Weekly Weigh-In 7/10/12

My Journal
Year One Weightloss and Chart
My Weightloss Story

Last edited by TaDa!; 03-22-2010 at 10:07 AM..
TaDa! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 02:13 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: miss sparky
Stats: 204/170/160
WOE: VLC
Start Date: 10 March 2007
bars, shakes, all that salt, ketchup.
Eat clean....better for you and will probably make a difference.
good luck....you've done great so far
miss sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 05:04 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TerriG
Stats: 236/177/160
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: June 2009
My suggestion would also be to cut back on the shakes/bars, as sugar alcohols do have a tendency of reacting to the body just like sugars do.

With that said... stalls are also a way of our bodies adjusting to the new way of eating and loss of weight... I like to think of it as my body telling me, "Oh no you don't...how dare you try to be healthy." Me, "Whatever... it's my body and I'll do what I want... and you better like it!!"
TerriG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 09:13 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joy-FL
Stats: 223/175/140
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: July 30, 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightwolf1972 View Post
And the bars and shakes..hmm..well Atkins make them, so I didnt think it could be a bad thing.
Dr. Robert Atkins sold his company. They still use the Atkins name, but it no longer sells things the Dr. would approve of, IMO.
Joy-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 09:28 AM   #17
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Here!

You Are STILL Losing!!
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 09:40 AM   #18
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: dartstar1
Stats: 273/256/160 starting again 1-26-12 @259 4-1-12 242
WOE: ATKINS 72 <8
Start Date: 10/12/2009
If you really NEED a tuna sandwhich why not try making your 2 slices of bread from 2 slices of cheese
Nuke them 1 at a time for 1 min -1.5 mins on parchment or a dixie brand plate
that gives you the satisfactions of eating with your hands
dartstar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 09:54 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TennisBum
Stats: 229/195/175
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Restart 2/21/10
As someone mentioned earlier, are you seeing any changes in how your clothing fits? There have been times when I wouldn't lose a pound but I could tell my shirts and/or pants were a little looser. Try not to get hung up on a number you read off the scale. Sounds like you are doing great, keep at it!
TennisBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 10:56 AM   #20
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: daisyHair
Stats: 257/228/140
WOE: Medi Weightloss
Start Date: 5' 4" 50 Years Old
Hi NightWolf..

Here is another good read re: post induction stall:

Here is an article, although long, that REALLY helps me to not stress when it happens:

"Common Low Carb patterns of weight loss:"

From tracking a *lot* of people who
become assimilated into the lowcarb lifestyle (hehe...resistance is
futile!) a pattern emerges....

the 2 week induction is pretty heady...weight lost just about every
single day, enormous and unbelievable amounts of weight loss are reported.
This is often followed by complaints that weight loss "stalls" or that
the rate drops to only 1 pound per week. (if that).

Many people just don't know that fat-loss ...the actual goal when on a
weight-reduction" diet, is rate-limited. In other words, the human
body has factors that prevent more than a certain amount of fatty-acid
release from storage...and even more factors that prevent those released
fatty acids from being used up instead of stored back into the fat
cells.

A priority of the human body is survival. Anything that threatens its
survival results in the cascade of events to maintain the previous
status quo. Water fluctuations are one way the body does this.
OK...so you done good on Atkins' during induction...lost 10 pounds the
first 2 weeks.

Maybe 7 the first week and 3 the second. But, whoa!
Weeks 3 and 4 there is NO loss! And weeks 5 and 6 is only 1/2 pound
each! So... what gives?

Initially, the body jettisons the water attached to the glycogen stores
that we diligently deplete to get into ketosis...this accounts for
about 3-5 pounds of water.

In addition, muscle stores of glycogen are not
being replaced when used...which will account for the rest. All in
all...MAYBE 1/2 pound of fat was metabolized during the first week... and
MAYBE 1/2 pound of fat was metabolized the 2nd week. Of that 10
initial pounds, only 1 pound was fat and 9 pounds water...

The body senses this lack and sirens start shrieking:
Warning! Warning! Losing water... new thing...got to get back to the
status quo! Brain tells body to produce and release that vasopressin
antidiuretic hormone
....more water is retained, and no weight loss
noticed.

Fat loss is still occuring, MAYBE even 2 pounds per week, because
ketosis is firmly established and appetite supression is in
effect...but water retention is hiding that continuing fat loss.

The body is
preventing dehydration with this mechanism, and that's a *good* thing.
From the perspective of the scale, it can be discouraging.
Which is why the mantra: Water retention masks fat loss (repeated
frequently to oneself ) is helpful.

Water retention will mask ongoing fat-loss for as long as the body
retains the water. We can combat this by drinking more water...but we
aren't going to totally overcome this mechanism during the initial
water-loss phase of the Atkins diet.

By weeks 5 and 6, things start to get back in balance, and the scale
will begin to reflect the true fat-loss...which, as mentioned before is
rate-limited.

Individuals vary, but max weight loss runs about 2 pounds per
week...under extremely optimal conditions... or 1% of body weight.(whichever is
the lower number)

Take-home message: Even when the scale is in a stall, fat loss can be
occuring. Don't use the scale as an excuse to undermine your progress
Hope this can shed some light for you as well!"
Old 03-23-2010, 12:57 PM   #21
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
WOW, DAISYHAIR!! WHAT AN AMAZING POST! Would love it if you could add that to my thread: You Are STILL Losing!!

Thanks for the information!!!
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 04:24 PM   #22
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: daisyHair
Stats: 257/228/140
WOE: Medi Weightloss
Start Date: 5' 4" 50 Years Old
Beeb,

Thanks!

Ok. I have added it to your post.

it always helps me!