Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2010, 05:52 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: MichelleM
Stats: no ideaaa what I weigh:)
WOE: atkins
Start Date: did Atkins successfully in 2010.Got to goal.
Salad dressings/store bought

I've used various salad dressings over the years including Maries and LightHouse bluecheese, Kens ranch and now O'Charleys blue cheese. I also use some vinegrette's and Caesars.

My question is Do you all eat ANY salad dressing that says 2 carbs or less a serving?

I know SOME of the dressings DO list sugar as an ingredient, but its far down the ingredient list. Dr. A's DANDR book seemed to imply that any 2 carb of less dressing is fine, but many on this board Im sure will not eat it if sugar is listed.

?
MichelleM is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-2010, 08:34 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JoJoBean
Stats: 142(121)/110/104
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: May 2002 Restart Feb 2010
I do. I love ranch and ceasar dressings. For ceasar I eat Ken's, it is 1 carb or less. For ranch my new favorite is Wishbone and it is 2 carbs. I have not looked at the ingredients, only the carb counts and it works just fine for me.
JoJoBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 08:35 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Happycat21
Stats: Ugh. Can't use the "new baby" excuse anymore!
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: every day
Great question. I have mixed feelings on this. I also worry about the soybean, canola and vegetable oils in the dressing which are supposed to not be good for you. But I'm too lazy to make my own salad dressing. So, for now, I stick with the less than 2 carbs a serving rule. But I will be interested to see what others think.
Happycat21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 08:44 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Queenie324
Stats: 249.9/194/150 5'7
WOE: LC
Start Date: Restart 10/18/11
I do! I also take the Italian dry dressing and make my own Balsalmic dressing, adding a lot less oil and more vinegar, plus a nice sprinkle of seasme seeds. Everyone loves it.
Queenie324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 10:07 AM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: ArdMaine
Stats: 6' 230/230/199
WOE: General low carb, less than 25gm carbs, whole food
Start Date: 6/15/14
Just a Note, 1 Tablespoon Balsamic Vinegar has 3 Carbs. I LOVE Balsamic, but this can really add to your Carb Count if you are trying to be strict.

I am using store bought Peppercorn Ranch with 1 Carb. I LOVE it.
ArdMaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 10:13 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ljguitar
Stats: 350++/under 240/wherever 30 net carbs a day leads
WOE: 30 net carbs a day or less...unclean eating
Start Date: August 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleM View Post
I've used various salad dressings over the years including Maries and LightHouse bluecheese, Kens ranch and now O'Charleys blue cheese. I also use some vinegrette's and Caesars.
Hi Michelle…
We love the LiteHouse blue cheese (and add more blue cheese to the salads we use it on).

We also build a lot of our own vinegar/oil dresssings and they fall well below the 2 carb suggested limit. Distilled vinegar (.1 carb per cup) or red wine vinegar (.65 carb per cup) are really low.

We even add a little Davinci Raspberry syrup and flavor the vinegar and make a vinegar, oil and hot sauce dressing (equal parts). Lip smacking (and lip burning) good! We use this in a hot-n-sweet chicken slaw.

It's cabbage with chicken, onions, chopped toasted almonds, and green peppers topped with the above sauce...

For those who are a bit lazy (like me) my hand blender called the ''boat motor'' around here - is an awesome vinegar/oil mixing tool. I don't use basalmic or cider vinegar because of higher carbs with the basalmic and stronger flavors which tend to dominate with the cider vinegar...

…The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese…

Last edited by ljguitar; 03-17-2010 at 10:15 AM.. Reason: oops
ljguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 10:15 AM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Speck333
WOE: Semi-Primal
Yup. If I ate a ton of salads/dressing I might make my own totally from scratch, but I don't so I don't bother. Except, I do make Hidden Valley Ranch from the mix using low-carb milk, and Good Season's Italian using ACV. I think these taste the best. But I love Marie's Bleu Cheese and Ceasar. Yes, they have a bit of sugar or a bit of modified food starch or whatever, but I'm not eating that much of them very often.
Speck333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 11:03 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: MichelleM
Stats: no ideaaa what I weigh:)
WOE: atkins
Start Date: did Atkins successfully in 2010.Got to goal.
thanx guys. today i bought a new mayo made with canola oil, not soybean.woohooo.

It was EXPENSIVE but Im gonna try it with my tuna and chicken salads, which i do eat a lot of. It was 5.99 for a small can. Brand was 'Spectrum'.
MichelleM is offline   Reply With Quote