Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2010, 11:30 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kit5908
Cholesterol and Low Carb

I've been off and on Low Carb too many times to count but it is the only thing that has worked for me in terms of feeling better and losing any weight. So, I'm ready to try again. However, I'm concerned about my cholesterol levels. My Dr. has never said I had a problem with it, but for the last few years I've been eating too much garbage - donuts, fries, ice cream - that kind of stuff, and I'm worried that I've done some damage.

I need some fresh reassurance that eating 1 or 2 eggs a day on this diet will not screw up my cholesterol and shorten my lifespan. It's got to be better for me than eating donuts and ice cream, right? What are your experiences?
kit5908 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-2010, 10:48 PM   #2
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Seagull99
Have faith, my wife has been on low carb for 16 months - her total is up a bit but the important things - her ratio of total/HDL and level of triglycerids and fantastic and keep getting better. The diabetes Dr was very happy with the figures.
Seagull99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 11:23 PM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Speck333
WOE: Semi-Primal
There's a lot of good info out there (and on here) about how low-carb positively impacts cholesterol. Much of what we've been told about it doesn't stack up to reality. Have a look around and check out Jimmy Moore's blog -- he's got very good information there.
Speck333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 04:09 AM   #4
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: TaDa!
Stats: 236.5 /132.5/ 128-133 @5'3"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance (Vegetarian + Fish)
Start Date: 6/03 & Goal! 5/06
My cholesterol went up initially -- when it had always been good before -- it was like over 240 or something ... I then had it taken about a year+ after doing Atkins and losing close to 100 pounds and my levels were amazing -- like we're talking better than the average human being ... Now, that is me, and you have to take any advice by your doctor into consideration.

But I recommend you read or re-read Dr. Atkins thoughts on cholesterol, and/or get a hold of the new Atkins book that just came out to get an idea of how some of the medical community can justify this way of life in view of cholesterol and the findings of various studies etc.

I do not think any of us here are qualified to counsel you on exactly what you should do -- just tell you our experiences.

Good luck!!!

Stats: 47 Years Old & 5'3" tall
Weight: 236.5 (43 bmi) / 132.5 / 128-133 (size 4/6 .. 23 bmi)

*Weekly Weigh-In 7/10/12

My Journal
Year One Weightloss and Chart
My Weightloss Story
TaDa! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 05:22 AM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: teri f
Stats: 203/127/125
WOE: High fat VLC
Start Date: Original start: January 3, 2001. Restart 6/18/2007
I eat 3-6 eggs a day and my lipids are great. Switching back and forth between a low carb and a high carb diet will really mess your body up though. Glad to hear you are giving low carb another shot and taking steps to improve your health. Good luck!
teri f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 06:21 AM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Looweewoo
Stats: 420/275/220 - 6'2"
WOE: Carnivore/T2 Diabetic
Start Date: Restart@350 09/17/09 The best is yet to come!
I just got my lipid profile back and while it is still a little off, it is not nearly as bad as the 6 -12 eggs a day I eat might suggest. I know there is a significant improvement from when I switched from low fat vegetarian to Carnivorous LC, but I don't have the figures to tell you exactly how much.
Looweewoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 06:23 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: MichelleM
Stats: no ideaaa what I weigh:)
WOE: atkins
Start Date: did Atkins successfully in 2010.Got to goal.
My cholesterol 'numbers' were actually BETTEr after 5 months of doing Atkins and also eating plenty of eggs!
MichelleM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 06:35 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: chiody
Stats: 245/153/165 6'0" Diabetic T2, No Meds 22 yrs.
WOE: LC/Paleo/IF (Maintenance) HbA1C 4.5 2011
Predominantly, the trend amongst LCers on these regimens for 6 months or more has been a improvement in lipid profiles especially the important indicators of HDL and Triglycerides. Ratio's of 2:1 or less is desirable and there are many reports of even 1:1 or less!!!!

The important thing to remember is eating whole eggs is part of LCing. Yolks specifically contain essential nutrients and good fats/cholesterol your body needs.
chiody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 06:36 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yellobrix
Stats: 199/175/150
WOE: Tweaking & Discovering
Start Date: Over & Over... 'Til I Get It Right!
Generally speaking, you should expect your triglyceride numbers to go up in the beginning. This is because as excess fat is mobilized from your own fat stores, it turns into tryglyceride. However, as you continue in ketosis, that's also what is turned into ketones and either used as energy or excreted in yoru urine and breath. That means that as you continue, your triglycerides will drop and then eventually your cholesterol numbers will improve. By improve, I mean your HDL (good) cholesterol will rise and your LDL (bad) will decrease. Even if the overall total cholesterol number rises or stays the same, the ratio is far more important as an indicator of potential cardiac problems.

The other thing to keep is mind is that there is plenty of evidence that cholesterol is not, in and of itself, an indicator of much of anything. If you have many other risk factors such as high blood pressure, previous heart attack, congestive heart failure, diabetes, then high cholesterol can be yet another risk factor. However, if your overall health is excellent, it's pretty much meaningless. And further, for women in middle age and later life, higher cholesterol is (surprise!) associated with REDUCED mortality rather than death.

If you google phrases like "cholesterol myth" you'll be certain to find quite a bit of good information on arguing against the current and oh so recent trend of fretting over cholesterol lowering as a form of medical treatment.
Yellobrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 08:34 AM   #10
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: One Noodle
Stats: 5'11" 274/212/180
WOE: Under 40 Carbs
Start Date: 01/23/2010
I suggest you pick up the Protein Power book and give that a read. They go into the science of everything without making it read like a textbook. I read it a few weeks ago, and if I recall correctly there was just about an entire chapter on fats and cholesterol and how your body processes them both on and off a LC diet.
One Noodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 08:35 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nolcjunk
Stats: Whole foods lc, 110, 5'6
WOE: Atkins - it's a diet
LC is great for cholesterol, but on the other hand, I think it's a suicide mission to keep trying it if you can't stay on, because the cycling of high fat/low carb and carbs will not be healthy.

Atkins isn't the ideal for everyone.
nolcjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 08:47 AM   #12
Natural Healthcare Chiropractor

Gallery: KajunDC
Stats: Lost 115lbs 2004. Maintaining ever since.
WOE: Lower Carb Mediterranean-Style Organic Diet
Start Date: Low Carb-Mar04, BFFM-Jul05, P90-X-Dec24,08
Cholesterol is very important for life. Every single cell in your body produces it. Your liver makes tons of it. What we get from our diet is a minuscule amount compared to what our body produces each day.

Poor cholesterol numbers are a sign of two things - a congested liver from all the junk we eat and the 82,000 chemical toxins we are surrounded by on a daily basis, as well as a sign of inflammatory processes in our body.

When we have an injury, LDL is produced. Its job is to go to the injury site to assist in healing. After the healing process is underway, HDL comes behind and helps to clean the leftover debris - taking it to the colon. So, a high LDL with a low HDL is a result of an injury that is trying to heal but is not healing properly. The body keeps sending out more and more LDL to assist in healing but since it is not healing there is nothing to clean up, so HDL remains low.

Eggs are great at helping the body heal properly. So they actually help cholesterol ratios, not hurt them.

Poor cholesterol ratio is not the cause of a problem, it is the result of one. Proper nutrition goes a long way in helping correct the problem.

So that is a long way of saying, eat the eggs - free-range with no hormones or anti-biotics fed to the chickens, and chances are great you'll see great cholesterol numbers. And if you don't, something in the body is inflamed but unable to heal.

OBSESSED is simply a word the lazy use to describe DEDICATION.

Follow me on FACEBOOK!

I Will Persist Until I SUCCEED! - Words of Motivation
P90X/INSANITY PROGRESS PICS - 01/28/2011- My FITNESS Journey
Weight Loss Pics from 2004 - My WEIGHT LOSS Journey
KajunDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 08:53 AM   #13
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: 2big4mysize
Stats: 313 to current goalie 169-173
WOE: Atkins 2002
Start Date: june 1 2002
another good thing about doing a high fat eating plan is the body makes bile from LDL so the more bile needed the more LDL being moved to the intestines and not the blood stream. If you are eating soluble fibers with your high fat diet then you are flushing bile out your rearend too as it gets tangled up in the fiber and can't be reabsorbed by the body to be used again to fracture larger eatten fats for absorption

Quote:
Originally Posted by KajunDC View Post
Cholesterol is very important for life. Every single cell in your body produces it. Your liver makes tons of it. What we get from our diet is a minuscule amount compared to what our body produces each day.

Poor cholesterol numbers are a sign of two things - a congested liver from all the junk we eat and the 82,000 chemical toxins we are surrounded by on a daily basis, as well as a sign of inflammatory processes in our body.

When we have an injury, LDL is produced. Its job is to go to the injury site to assist in healing. After the healing process is underway, HDL comes behind and helps to clean the leftover debris - taking it to the colon. So, a high LDL with a low HDL is a result of an injury that is trying to heal but is not healing properly. The body keeps sending out more and more LDL to assist in healing but since it is not healing there is nothing to clean up, so HDL remains low.

Eggs are great at helping the body heal properly. So they actually help cholesterol ratios, not hurt them.

Poor cholesterol ratio is not the cause of a problem, it is the result of one. Proper nutrition goes a long way in helping correct the problem.

So that is a long way of saying, eat the eggs - free-range with no hormones or anti-biotics fed to the chickens, and chances are great you'll see great cholesterol numbers. And if you don't, something in the body is inflamed but unable to heal.
do you have a source for that HDL to the colon info? I know HDL will return LDL to the liver for proceesing, but never heard of anything from inside the body other then fluids being released back into the colon.
2big4mysize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 01:10 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kit5908
Thank You

Thank you so much everybody for the input. This is exactly the information I was looking for. To those who reminded me of the dangers of going on and of low carb - thanks for that too. I definitely get that and agree and it is part of what makes me fear the damage I've done to my body. I'll do my best to stay on this for life!!
kit5908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 01:15 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: TooSweetForMe
Stats: 178/178/150
WOE: lower carb / type 2 diabetic
Start Date: September 2013
Thanks for all the information in this thread. I really appreciate it, and am going to apply it to my LC lifestyle.
TooSweetForMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 03:52 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kisha1976
Stats: 292/292/200
WOE: Low carb (currently induction)
Start Date: January 28, 2013
I was a bit concerned about my cholesterol/eggs/low carb diet. I was eating a lot of eggs at one point, and then I discovered the egg substitute Better N' Eggs. It tastes AMAZING. 35 calories per 1/4 cup (equals to 1 egg) and no cholesterol. And it tastes waaaaaaay better than Egg Beaters. So now I have 1 cup of the Better N' Eggs (equivalant to 4 whole eggs) per day and I'm a happy camper!
Kisha1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 04:03 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: chiody
Stats: 245/153/165 6'0" Diabetic T2, No Meds 22 yrs.
WOE: LC/Paleo/IF (Maintenance) HbA1C 4.5 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisha1976 View Post
I was a bit concerned about my cholesterol/eggs/low carb diet. I was eating a lot of eggs at one point, and then I discovered the egg substitute Better N' Eggs. It tastes AMAZING. 35 calories per 1/4 cup (equals to 1 egg) and no cholesterol. And it tastes waaaaaaay better than Egg Beaters. So now I have 1 cup of the Better N' Eggs (equivalant to 4 whole eggs) per day and I'm a happy camper!
Better off with the "real" eggs.......
chiody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 04:15 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joy-FL
Stats: 223/175/140
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: July 30, 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellobrix View Post
Generally speaking, you should expect your triglyceride numbers to go up in the beginning. This is because...
All of this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiody View Post
Better off with the "real" eggs.......
Yes. Eating cholesterol does not give you high cholesterol any more than eating fat makes you fat.
Joy-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 04:16 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nolcjunk
Stats: Whole foods lc, 110, 5'6
WOE: Atkins - it's a diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisha1976 View Post
Please do more research to appease your mind and stop using the substitute crap.

Eggs should have one ingredient: eggs. And, they naturally contain all the nutrients, instead of having to be enriched like substitutes.
nolcjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 09:17 PM   #20
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: fawn
Here's some great info

Cholesterol - You Can't Live Without It!

http://www.cholesterol-and-health.com/Egg_Yolk.html
fawn is offline   Reply With Quote