LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2010, 01:35 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Plnolady
Stats: 272/268/155 (04/18/11)
WOE: Lindora - Lean For Life
Start Date: 04/04/11
Low Carb VS Weight Watchers

Okay, so I did low carb program and lost 40 lbs. Went off during the holidays and naturally gained 10 lbs back. I still ahve 60 lbs to loose and several friends and co-workers keep telling me low carb eating is not the healthiest way to go and that a low calorie program like Weight Watchers is a better and safer way to lose weight. So what do you all think? Has anyone heard anything about how low carb eating may affect our bodies in the long run? I need to make a decision and get going on losing weight again.
Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-2010, 01:39 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: kimlou
Stats: 180/150/135.round ?
WOE: LC.. Atkins
Start Date: 5/29/13 .. round ?
Weight watchers will not work for me... I have tried numerous times. Even the core paln the used to have, think tey merges them all togther now into the Momentum plan, eating more of the filling foods from their list....... I think !!

I have seen others it worked well .
kimlou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 01:39 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: chiody
Stats: 245/153/165 6'0" Diabetic T2, No Meds 22 yrs.
WOE: LC/Paleo/IF (Maintenance) HbA1C 4.5 2011
Over 100,000 threads and 1.5 million posts in this "Main Lowcarb Lobby" should steer you right I'd say......
chiody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 01:40 PM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: dasiey
I don't know the science behind any of it. What I do know is
when I tried WW I was hungry all the time. When I did LC strickly
I was never hungry. I lost weight on both.
dasiey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 01:43 PM   #5
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: peanutte
Stats: 188/118
WOE: Atkins maintenance
Start Date: 01/03/09
I think the "right" program is the one you can stick to, with the kinds of foods you enjoy, and the kinds of foods that are satisfying to you. It's different for different people, so there isn't one right way. What is better or safer for one person might be a disaster for another person. I think a relatively low-fat or WW Core-type program can be very healthy if it agrees with a person's particular biochemistry and if they are eating clean. My personal bias is for higher-fat and low-carb because I see no good reason why we need to be eating bread and pasta and all that high-carb stuff on a daily basis. I just don't see what's nutritionally necessary about high-carb foods.

You lost 40 pounds; that's great! Did you like eating low-carb? What made you go off over the holidays? Do you think that's going to be an ongoing problem for you? Are you looking for a long-term change you can stick with?

Your friends and co-workers don't have to live in your body; you do. They are entitled to their opinions, but you should weigh those opinions against what you know feels right to you and gets you results.

Last edited by peanutte; 03-04-2010 at 01:47 PM..
peanutte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 01:55 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: goose1
Stats: 229/193.2/166.4/140
WOE: lchf
Start Date: Jan 02/14
I think you should read some low carb books so you will understand the science behind it. When I was a low fat vegetarian my triglycerides were through the roof. When I stick on low carb they are in the middle of the range. I can't eat low fat anymore, I got tired of feeling hungry all the time.
goose1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 02:02 PM   #7
Junior LCF Member

I started off REALLY liking the program. The problem I am having is at work and at home. I work for a 7th Day Adventist Hospital where they do not serve any meat products and most of their food is high in carbs. My skinny husband can eat anything and for dinner he likes meat (which I can eat) and either pasta or potatoes. He loved cookies and ice cream too.

I know I feel really good physically and mentally when I eat low carbs and stick with it, but for some reason I find myself eating carbs at work and eating pasta or potatoes instead of my usual salad at night with my meat.

I am partially disabled and am limited on what kind of exercising I can do. We have a new 10 mos puppy that enjoys walking and that's something I can do. I am thinking about picking up a bicycle because I believe I can do that too. I have heard that you can loose a lot more weight if you exercise when doing any diet.

So, are there any long term risks that you know of concerning low carb lifestyles?

Thanks so much for responding.
Plnolady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 02:05 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: meeha
Stats: 258/258/when it feels right
WOE: My Way
Start Date: 1/09/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutte View Post
I think the "right" program is the one you can stick to, with the kinds of foods you enjoy, and the kinds of foods that are satisfying to you. It's different for different people, so there isn't one right way. What is better or safer for one person might be a disaster for another person. I think a relatively low-fat or WW Core-type program can be very healthy if it agrees with a person's particular biochemistry and if they are eating clean.
ITA!
meeha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 02:07 PM   #9

Quote:
but for some reason I find myself eating carbs at work and eating pasta or potatoes instead of my usual salad at night with my meat.
Well, I'm sure the reason is habit, and habits can be broken.

Maybe being around carbs all day makes it harder for you, but you need to bring your own food in containers so you have things on hand when you feel tempted. At night, it's really just a matter of being clear about what you choose to eat; it doesn't take any longer to cook some vegetables or make a salad than it does to cook potatoes or pasta.

If you want to do this, you CAN do it!

I don't know of any long term risks from doing low-carb responsibly, no.
Old 03-04-2010, 02:07 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: goose1
Stats: 229/193.2/166.4/140
WOE: lchf
Start Date: Jan 02/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plnolady View Post
I started off REALLY liking the program. The problem I am having is at work and at home. I work for a 7th Day Adventist Hospital where they do not serve any meat products and most of their food is high in carbs. My skinny husband can eat anything and for dinner he likes meat (which I can eat) and either pasta or potatoes. He loved cookies and ice cream too.

I know I feel really good physically and mentally when I eat low carbs and stick with it, but for some reason I find myself eating carbs at work and eating pasta or potatoes instead of my usual salad at night with my meat.

I am partially disabled and am limited on what kind of exercising I can do. We have a new 10 mos puppy that enjoys walking and that's something I can do. I am thinking about picking up a bicycle because I believe I can do that too. I have heard that you can loose a lot more weight if you exercise when doing any diet.

So, are there any long term risks that you know of concerning low carb lifestyles?

Thanks so much for responding.

Plnolady can't you pack a lunch for work so you can stay on your plan? My family still eats bread and pasta but I will only cook it for them a couple of times a week. That way its not as hard on me. Try making some mashed cauliflower to replace masshed potatoes. Make some noodles out of zuchinni for your pasta sauce. I find it easier when I find subsitutes for my favourite foods.
goose1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 02:21 PM   #11
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: WClock
Stats: 195/180/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 22, 2019
Weight Watchers

I've tried WWs a few times through the years, and it has come closer and closer to low carb in that time--stressing complex carbs and avoidance of empty carbs, but it's still basically low fat and counting calories (units, or whatever they call them these days). It may work for some people, but everyone I know gained the weight back--as did I. This time, I'm staying on low carb for good.
WClock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 02:23 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: aryn12205
WOE: IF/Paleo/Whole Food-Low Carb
Start Date: Restart: January '14
Personally, eating LC wins hands down. The proof was felt almost immediately, once I stopped eating all the low-fat, carb-filled junk that's supposed to be "healthy" on Weight Watchers, and starting eating REAL food.

I have seen too many people use their "points" to fill up on Weight Watcher's Ho-Ho's, pizza's, muffins, etc, and then complain about not being able to lose weight. So while I'm sure there are many out there who use the program successfully--I just have yet to see it among those of my friends/family who have tried.
Old 03-04-2010, 02:26 PM   #13
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: SmileySue
Stats: 332/125, size 2 Maintaining since 3/08!!
WOE: Low carb and clean eating/whole foods
Start Date: 9/05
Weight Watchers kept me around 300 pounds....it just didn't work for me and I was so hungry and miserable all the time.

For me it's LC ALL THE WAY!!
SmileySue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 02:43 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: crystalgriffon
Stats: 162.5/129.5...back to 138/125
WOE: Not sure...Atkins?
Start Date: Summer 2009
There are some great replacements for pasta and bread. You can cook it at home and bring it to work Like Dreamfield pasta and there are a few brands on LC bread that are so yummy!!! It's not induction friendly though.
crystalgriffon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 02:48 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: MichelleM
Stats: no ideaaa what I weigh:)
WOE: atkins
Start Date: did Atkins successfully in 2010.Got to goal.
I was always starved on a lowfat diet and inevitably always ended in a binge or binges for YEARS!

Since being on Atkins I havent had the desire to binge. During TOM I DO have a major hunger issue though and do 'crave' certain foods but its NOTHING LIKE I felt all the time on lower fat diets.

FOr ME eating fat helps me to feel satiated and has helped me lose the most weight in my lifetime.
MichelleM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 02:51 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Princessdmw33
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: November, 2009
I have done WW two times in my life. The second time I did it I wanted to lose 20 pounds and while I did succeed in doing so I was always hungry. I found that I would eat all kinds of carb filled snacks such as pretzels because they were low in points and then be hungry a little bit later. I am very moody when I am hungry too so although it worked it wasn't a good fit for me.

I started eating low carb at the end of November and although my weight loss is very slow I like the fact that I am not hungry all the time. I am enjoying eating foods that are not low fat such as sour cream, yogurt, etc because they are filling and taste so much better. I am enjoying having some butter on my brocolli instead of "I cant believe it's not butter".

Good luck with whatever choice you make!
Princessdmw33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 03:07 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lancer1977
Stats: 297/More healthy/Very healthy
WOE: Atkins 72ish
Start Date: 9/23/2011
IMHO Weight Watchers like most other diets is a gateway to a revolving door of failure. People will lose weight on these diets, and they will gain them right back. I'm not saying everyone who does LC is sucessful, but the foundation is better. WW is low fat, and people give themselves heaping servings of legal foods like buckets of rice and potatos. They cut out the higher cals of proteins. This certainly doesn't help insulin issues, and since their bodies are deprived of proteins they start to cannibalize themselves. At the end of the diet they have elevated blood sugar levels, less muscle, and a even more so ruined metabolism.

Compare that to LC which stablizes blood sugar, keeps you full with chemically triggering fats, maintains muscle with proteins. No comparsion. None at all.
lancer1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 04:21 PM   #18
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Kiley2801
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plnolady View Post
Okay, so I did low carb program and lost 40 lbs. Went off during the holidays and naturally gained 10 lbs back. I still ahve 60 lbs to loose and several friends and co-workers keep telling me low carb eating is not the healthiest way to go and that a low calorie program like Weight Watchers is a better and safer way to lose weight. So what do you all think? Has anyone heard anything about how low carb eating may affect our bodies in the long run? I need to make a decision and get going on losing weight again.
Thanks!
I have no WW bias, and feel, if done properly like peanutt said, it works well for some people. But in your case, I'd think since you were so successful with low carb AND feel so good on it, that you should keep going on with that!

And I think your coworkers are ignorant about low-carb. Proteins, fats, tons of veggies, some fruit and grain if you desire at later stages... yeah that's sooooo "unsafe."
Kiley2801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 04:34 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: RobMan
Stats: 429/303/299
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Dec 3, 2008 2nd time around 6/3/2014
I can only speak for myself, but I have tried about every low-cal diet that anyone ever dreamed up and none worked for me. Yea, I would lose weight but could never keep it off and never lost this much. Since I started LCing 15 months ago I feel better, never hungry and have lost a good bit of weight. I still have a long ways to go but really believe I have found what works for me. I can see myself doing this WOE for the rest of my life.

I do agree with what dasiey said above. If you haven't read DANDR then do yourself a favor and pick up the book and read at least he first 15 chapters as quick as you can. I really didn't understand LC until I gained the knowledge of the science behind it. Then, you make the decision that you think is right for you. Best Wishes!
RobMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 04:41 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: IzzyTheTerrible
Stats: 290/269/150
WOE: Listening to my body
Start Date: Every day is a new day. :)
You can def do lowcarb WW. Some people really do well with the support and structure. And... some people do need to count calories too.
IzzyTheTerrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 04:47 PM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JustCallMeAmy
Stats: 267/103/105
WOE: doing it my way :)
Start Date: Jan. 6th/09
i tried, and failed at WW. i personally think the program stinks because of how they market so much processed *junk* as "food" that should be incorporated into your daily way of eating. same as Jenny Craig and many others. sorry, but the key to long term health and success does NOT come in a box that can be heated in a microwave. eat foods that don't have ingredient lists. sure, you could do that on weight watchers i suppose or any other plan, but really that is key.
JustCallMeAmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 04:48 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soon2bskinny View Post
i tried, and failed at WW. i personally think the program stinks because of how they market so much processed *junk* as "food" that should be incorporated into your daily way of eating. same as Jenny Craig and many others. sorry, but the key to long term health and success does NOT come in a box that can be heated in a microwave. eat foods that don't have ingredient lists. sure, you could do that on weight watchers i suppose or any other plan, but really that is key.
When I tried WW, I didn't eat any 'fake' foods. ????

Of course, I followed the lower fat, higher carb way and lost 4 lbs in 3 months. Everyone else had lost 20 lbs by then! I was very el grrr.
Old 03-04-2010, 04:49 PM   #23

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
Izzy, I think when her friends say Weight Watchers, that's short for high cabr/low fat/low calorie eating. That's what they are pushing.

The thing is, Plnolady, nothing is going to work unless you REALLY understand that you will never be able to go back to "eating normally." Yoyo-ing is really unhealthy. Low carb is not unhealthy, but you have to decide to do it and do it right. It's not something you can do partways, like low calorie is. The protection you get from all that fat causing trouble goes away when you eat a lot of carbs, so flip flopping isn't good.

Personally, I don't see how anyone who was 100 lb overweight could be successful losing and maintaining long term any way except low carb. We have ENOUGH issues as it is without having to deal with being hungry all the time too!

And I also think anyone who is that much overweight has a carb addiction. And the only way to control that is to low carb strictly. Otherwise, it's almost impossible to resist those foods over time.

Good luck whatever you decide to do!
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 04:54 PM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JustCallMeAmy
Stats: 267/103/105
WOE: doing it my way :)
Start Date: Jan. 6th/09
Quote:
Originally Posted by IzzyTheTerrible View Post
When I tried WW, I didn't eat any 'fake' foods. ????

Of course, I followed the lower fat, higher carb way and lost 4 lbs in 3 months. Everyone else had lost 20 lbs by then! I was very el grrr.
you never ate smart ones, or WW muffins, WW cereal etc? i sure was as well as my MIL and a bunch of other ppl i knew doing WW and we were all wondering why we weren't losing weight while we were well within our points

lets not even bring up the 100 cal packs
JustCallMeAmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 04:57 PM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenrose View Post

Personally, I don't see how anyone who was 100 lb overweight could be successful losing and maintaining long term any way except low carb. We have ENOUGH issues as it is without having to deal with being hungry all the time too!

And I also think anyone who is that much overweight has a carb addiction. And the only way to control that is to low carb strictly. Otherwise, it's almost impossible to resist those foods over time.

Good luck whatever you decide to do!
I agree, and disagree with this.

I agree that anyone who is 100 lbs overweight has SOME SORT OF ISSUE. I'm personally not addicted to carbs, or ever really had a portion control issue.

I personally now know that there's something wrong with how my body reacts to carbs, and I think there are a lot more people like me. I come from a family with a history of diabetes and infertility, I think the endocrine system is just so darn sensitive and there are few doctors that are willing to look at an overweight person and give them any diagnosis other than 'an overeater.'

And, if they ARE talking about low fat, high carb. I personally recommend against it. IF, however you're talking about a lower carb version of WW (which my meeting leader did), then go for it if you want to.

Hubby - 267/244/???
Old 03-04-2010, 04:58 PM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soon2bskinny View Post
you never ate smart ones, or WW muffins, WW cereal etc? i sure was as well as my MIL and a bunch of other ppl i knew doing WW and we were all wondering why we weren't losing weight while we were well within our points

lets not even bring up the 100 cal packs
Lol not a chance!! I've always been as much of a real-food eater as possible. The way I figured it, is if WW muffins were 4 points, I could eat a HUGE plate of salad for that!! But I didn't stay long, obviously, so I'm not sure what everyone else was doing. lol
Old 03-04-2010, 05:03 PM   #27
Old Wise One

Gallery: jezzie
Stats: choosing to be scale-free;
WOE: (48% C; 33% Fat; 19% P; )
Start Date: 11/22/11 - MediterrAsian, Flexitarian, Oz-ish
Quote:
Low Carb VS Weight Watchers
No one can make that decision for someone else.
In real life I know three people, big losers, who lost and are maintaining on Weight Watchers.
Those three are maintainers of over ten years. Plus I know one who is only two years.

Like any plan it works for some and not for others.
The only plan that works is the one that you can stick to. Which plan fits your lifestyle?

jezzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 05:09 PM   #28
Junior LCF Member

WOW! You folks know you LC stuff! I am not sold on buying WW, Jenny Craig or Nutrisystem foods.I also don't like the idea of spending $$$$ on their programs. I learned about LC eating through Lindora here in California. It is very expensive and they too want you to buy their products. I found after I originally got into it that I could buy Atkin products at the grocery store for less. I found a lot of other everyday foods I could eat at the grocery store. Lindora was very strict about not eating salami or beef jerkey because of the sodium and fat contents and they pushed a minimum of 64 oz of water per day.

This was my first "real" attempt to lose weight and when I was doing LC's everyday I found it to be pretty simple. Somewhere in the last couple months I gradually starting go back to my bad habits. Sooo....I need to get back on the LC Wagon and stick to it. I REALLY appreciate all of you being so open and honest with your respones. Thanks for the proverbial slap up side the head. <smiling>
Plnolady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 05:29 PM   #29

You don't need to buy Atkins products to do Atkins, though. I don't use any of that stuff, and my grocery bills are not high because we are only buying what we need to eat and not a bunch of "entertainment food". Honestly, I don't spend more money on low-carb whole foods at all. I probably spend less.
Old 03-04-2010, 05:47 PM   #30
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: dasiey
Quote:
Originally Posted by WClock View Post
I've tried WWs a few times through the years, and it has come closer and closer to low carb in that time--stressing complex carbs and avoidance of empty carbs, but it's still basically low fat and counting calories (units, or whatever they call them these days). It may work for some people, but everyone I know gained the weight back--as did I. This time, I'm staying on low carb for good.
I gained my weight back to..
dasiey is offline   Reply With Quote