Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2010, 08:14 PM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Blondie Baby
Stats: 213/126/130
WOE: JUDDD with LC
Falafel

I was listening to BBC News this morning on the way to work and heard this report "Falafel replaces chicken tikka masala as the worlds favorite food!" WTH???!!!!!! They interviewed a guy who owned a Falafel Cafe and he was saying that people are making healthier choices now and most fast food is "junk" but falafel is very healthy, it has everything your body needs!!!!!!! Is he kidding? IMHO falafel is nothing but deep fried carbs!!!!! At least chicken tikka masala has the redeeming quality of being CHICKEN and it tastes good!
Blondie Baby is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-2010, 08:28 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Minnas
Stats: 28/8-10/8-10
WOE: Lost VLC/Now LC/Lower calorie through lower fat
Interesting! As much as I live and breath for chicken tikka masala I never in a million years would have guessed it ever was the world's favorite food. Surely I would not think that of falafel. Falafel??? Of all things! It's darn tasty but yes, for my purposes give me my chicken tikka masala any old day. (Heartbroken that whole foods no longer offers this at their food bar. It was food of the Gods I swear it.)
Minnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 08:40 PM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Speck333
WOE: Semi-Primal
Seriously, the *whole world*? I've never even heard of that chicken dish, and I just discovered falafel a few months ago...and dang was that good.
Speck333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 08:46 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: chiody
Stats: 245/153/165 6'0" Diabetic T2, No Meds 22 yrs.
WOE: LC/Paleo/IF (Maintenance) HbA1C 4.5 2011
Fallafel reminds me of veggie burgers rolled into meatball sized balls deep fried. Similar in texture and taste these sandwiches derive most it's flavor from the condiments, usually lettuce, tomato, tzatziki sauce and pita pocket. I used to eat them before LCing, alas too many carbs....
chiody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 08:56 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Victrola
Stats: Who currently knows?
WOE: Keeping it under 20g daily
Start Date: 11/17/2009
I love both dishes. And if you get good falafel, it's delicious plain!
Victrola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 08:57 PM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnas View Post
Interesting! As much as I live and breath for chicken tikka masala I never in a million years would have guessed it ever was the world's favorite food. Surely I would not think that of falafel. Falafel??? Of all things! It's darn tasty but yes, for my purposes give me my chicken tikka masala any old day. (Heartbroken that whole foods no longer offers this at their food bar. It was food of the Gods I swear it.)
We make chicken tikka masala ALOT if you need a recipe!
Old 03-03-2010, 03:22 AM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: PghPALady1974
WOE: thru my mouth
Another one that has never heard of the chicken dish. I have heard of a falafel but still have no clue what it is!
PghPALady1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 03:36 AM   #8
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: TaDa!
Stats: 236.5 /132.5/ 128-133 @5'3"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance (Vegetarian + Fish)
Start Date: 6/03 & Goal! 5/06
Yeah BB, lol! lol! Not quite health food!!!!!!! Chicken would definitely be the lowcarb way to go, lol!!! We love Indian food in my house .... just went to the Indian this week in fact!

My family eats falafel at home regularly, especially in the summer ... we get a nice Lebanese mix made with chickpeas and fava beans ... and actually if you get to the beans level on Atkins (later carb ladder), you cold totally have it on lc .. as long as it does not have any weird fillers. Tahina is lc ... just sesame, and deep-fried food, well Atkins was just made for that, lol! But health food??!!!! No, I don't think so!!!

I actually was looking at a recipe for falafel just yesterday -- and thinking of how I could, perhaps replace part of the chickpeas (when I make it homemade, I only use chickpeas) ... still thinking on that one ... but the whole quinoa thread was interesting - but it is rather carby too .. if I come up with anything good, I'll post it to the board.

We get lowcarb pita here which is very good and an obvious choice -- I imagine it is not available in Abu Dhabi?!

Stats: 47 Years Old & 5'3" tall
Weight: 236.5 (43 bmi) / 132.5 / 128-133 (size 4/6 .. 23 bmi)

*Weekly Weigh-In 7/10/12

My Journal
Year One Weightloss and Chart
My Weightloss Story
TaDa! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 03:51 AM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaDa! View Post
Yeah BB, lol! lol! Not quite health food!!!!!!! Chicken would definitely be the lowcarb way to go, lol!!! We love Indian food in my house .... just went to the Indian this week in fact!

My family eats falafel at home regularly, especially in the summer ... we get a nice Lebanese mix made with chickpeas and fava beans ... and actually if you get to the beans level on Atkins (later carb ladder), you cold totally have it on lc .. as long as it does not have any weird fillers. Tahina is lc ... just sesame, and deep-fried food, well Atkins was just made for that, lol! But health food??!!!! No, I don't think so!!!

I actually was looking at a recipe for falafel just yesterday -- and thinking of how I could, perhaps replace part of the chickpeas (when I make it homemade, I only use chickpeas) ... still thinking on that one ... but the whole quinoa thread was interesting - but it is rather carby too .. if I come up with anything good, I'll post it to the board.

We get lowcarb pita here which is very good and an obvious choice -- I imagine it is not available in Abu Dhabi?!
Nope, no low carb available here YET. But I'd be happy to send you a recipe for falafel and let you see if you can adjust it!!! BTW Egyptian is totally the way to go for falafel, not Lebanese!
Old 03-03-2010, 03:57 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: twilight
Stats: 225/186.5/130
WOE: VLC/Atkins
I've never heard of either one.
twilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 04:15 AM   #11

Gallery: TaDa!
Stats: 236.5 /132.5/ 128-133 @5'3"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance (Vegetarian + Fish)
Start Date: 6/03 & Goal! 5/06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie Baby View Post
Nope, no low carb available here YET. But I'd be happy to send you a recipe for falafel and let you see if you can adjust it!!! BTW Egyptian is totally the way to go for falafel, not Lebanese!
LOL! I hear you!! I figured since it had fava beans, maybe it was an Egyptian recipe or something? I was always under the impression that they were big into the fava beans!

I do have a recipe I can work from, but if you have a favorite, I'd love to see it too! I eat vegetarian so I have experience working with the veg proteins that are lower carb, and maybe it would be possible to work some tvp, seitan, or soy in there to lower the carb count ...

Another thing I've been thinking about ... I totally miss stuffed grape leaves and was thinking, at some point, summer maybe, of trying to make them with quinoa --- again, it is a seed that mimics a grain. The flavor is so dictated by the garlic, lemon, mint, olive oil, pine nuts that I don't even think you'd miss the rice ... just another little food fantasy of mine, lol!!!!

Ever since I saw that quinoa thread I have been having fantasies of coming up with some lc middle eastern food -- seems like it might be a good replacement for couscous ... think tabouleh, stuffed peppers, and so on and so on, lol! It is a bit carby though ...

Pauline
TaDa! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 06:25 AM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaDa! View Post
LOL! I hear you!! I figured since it had fava beans, maybe it was an Egyptian recipe or something? I was always under the impression that they were big into the fava beans!

I do have a recipe I can work from, but if you have a favorite, I'd love to see it too! I eat vegetarian so I have experience working with the veg proteins that are lower carb, and maybe it would be possible to work some tvp, seitan, or soy in there to lower the carb count ...

Another thing I've been thinking about ... I totally miss stuffed grape leaves and was thinking, at some point, summer maybe, of trying to make them with quinoa --- again, it is a seed that mimics a grain. The flavor is so dictated by the garlic, lemon, mint, olive oil, pine nuts that I don't even think you'd miss the rice ... just another little food fantasy of mine, lol!!!!

Ever since I saw that quinoa thread I have been having fantasies of coming up with some lc middle eastern food -- seems like it might be a good replacement for couscous ... think tabouleh, stuffed peppers, and so on and so on, lol! It is a bit carby though ...

Pauline
Awesome! I do loved stuffed grape leaves, but of course, had to give them up! Let me know if you come up with something workable! I'll pm you my best falafel recipe and see what you can come up with!
Old 03-03-2010, 06:40 AM   #13
kpk
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kpk
Stats: 204/204/150
WOE: LowCarb
Start Date: 5/1/2013
Quote:
I'd love for you to share your recipe. I looked one up on allrecipes just to see what is in it and the ingredients sound wonderful. Please share yours!
kpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 07:34 AM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jem51
Stats: oh so happy at 120
WOE: Mine, all mine
Start Date: controlled carb '97-98
oooh falafel. i love(d) it. it was a staple and i could tell you where to eat the best in NYC.
it is not the condiments like lettuce and tomatoes...it is the spice. if a falafel ball requires bread, lettuce, tomato, etc to be edible, it's not good falafel.

i know that it can be made w chic peas as well as favas. maybe peop choose the former due to less possible allergy 'cause that fava allergy can kill ya!!

i haven't had it in years. i wonder if it'd be worth the possible tummy ache....maybe.
jem51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 07:41 AM   #15
LJB

Gallery: LJB
Stats: Size 8 at Present
WOE: Real food.
Quote:
I was listening to BBC News this morning on the way to work and heard this report "Falafel replaces chicken tikka masala as the worlds favorite food!" WTH???!!!!!! They interviewed a guy who owned a Falafel Cafe and he was saying that people are making healthier choices now and most fast food is "junk" but falafel is very healthy, it has everything your body needs!!!!!!! Is he kidding? IMHO falafel is nothing but deep fried carbs!!!!! At least chicken tikka masala has the redeeming quality of being CHICKEN and it tastes good!
I actually would rather eat Falafel than chicken some days. There is a Greek/Algerian take-out place next to where I work and I don't know what kind's of spices they use exactly but it's so good. As for it being healthy..... I think its fried in vegetable oil. I don't believe they bake it.
LJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 07:43 AM   #16
Old Wise One

Gallery: jezzie
Stats: choosing to be scale-free;
WOE: (48% C; 33% Fat; 19% P; )
Start Date: 11/22/11 - MediterrAsian, Flexitarian, Oz-ish
Quote:
Falafel replaces chicken tikka masala as the worlds favorite food!
Quite an ambitious undertaking - speaking for 'the world'.

Liked both foods very much.
Haven't had any in some time. Would if the occasion presented itself.

jezzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 09:43 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: PracticingMind
Stats: 162/150/130, 5'7''
WOE: whatever works
Start Date: lost count...
Quote:
Yes, please!!
PracticingMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 12:23 PM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: laureninva
Stats: 309/215/150
WOE: Atkins forever this time
Start Date: Restart 8/12/09 at 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by PracticingMind View Post
Yes, please!!
yes, I second that. Indian food is my favorite. I have about mastered my own curry chicken, but I don't have recipes for much else. There is an Indian food store near me so I have access to all of the ingredients used in their cooking.

What is that cheese? I can't remember the name of it? How is it used?
laureninva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 08:07 PM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Minnas
Stats: 28/8-10/8-10
WOE: Lost VLC/Now LC/Lower calorie through lower fat
I would love that recipe!
Minnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 06:08 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NoMoreExcuses
Stats: 181.1/181.1/145
WOE: Weight Watchers Simply Filling
Start Date: 1/6/2014
Blondie, I would love your chicken recipe!
NoMoreExcuses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 06:24 AM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: TigerlilyCA
WOE: Primal-esque
Ditto the CTM recipe AND the falafel recipe!! Love them both!!
TigerlilyCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 06:27 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: oyvey
Stats: 217/160
WOE: paleo, sprinkling of fermented dairy
Start Date: 5/08
Quote:
As an (among other ethnicities) Egyptian, I'd like to TOTALLY AGREE with this one. Sadly, here in the US, most people have just had the Lebanese version, which is still good, but not as good

Also, I find both foods delicious.
oyvey is offline   Reply With Quote