Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2010, 09:06 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: soon2beskinny2
WOE: counting carbs
Does anyone know of any low carb yogurt brands?

I'm assuming such a thing exists, but I don't think I've ever noticed them at the grocery store before....
soon2beskinny2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-2010, 09:15 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Firm Hottie
Stats: Too big/-15/Just right
WOE: Lower carb & weight training
Yep, CarbMaster yogurt. I get mine at Kroger. 80 calories, 4 grams of carbs (3 net), and 12 grams of protein. I just wish it had more fat in it, as it only has 1.5 grams per serving. But it tastes great, and I can always get my fat from other sources.
Firm Hottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 09:16 PM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: wifey
Stats: goal is size 10
I know alot of people love Fage.
wifey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 09:18 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: fireflyfaster
Stats: 234/150 5'9 BMI 22
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: 4/20/09 - Met Goal April 2010
Fage. The full-fat is the lowest carb, but can be hard to find (at least for me now that they don't carry it at Trader Joe's any more.) It's creamy, filling and delicious.

The 2% fat Fage Total is also good and pretty low-carb if you have a half cup or smaller serving (I believe it's 9 carbs per cup) -- but not quite the creamy indulgence that the Full Fat is.

Anyone that can tell me where I can still find Full Fat Fage in Southern California? I'd love to stock up.
fireflyfaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 10:17 PM   #5

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
Dannon Light and Fit has a low carb like the Kroger that actually has the milk sugar taken out of the yogurt to make it lower carb, not just an absence of added sugar.

It's more widely available than the Kroger. You have to be careful not to get the one with the same brand name that's just nonfat.

It comes in vanilla, strawberry, and peach.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 11:23 PM   #6
Do you know your CCLL?

Gallery: 2bflawless
I recommend Fage & Greek Gods FULL FAT ONLY.
2bflawless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 11:30 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JoJoBean
Stats: 142(121)/110/104
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: May 2002 Restart Feb 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bflawless View Post
I recommend Fage & Greek Gods FULL FAT ONLY.
I used to get the Fage full fat, but now I can not find it anywhere. I was so excited to see a lot of new Greek yogurt brands in the stores, but NONE of them are full fat or lower carb.
JoJoBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 11:34 PM   #8
Do you know your CCLL?

Gallery: 2bflawless
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoJoBean View Post
I used to get the Fage full fat, but now I can not find it anywhere. I was so excited to see a lot of new Greek yogurt brands in the stores, but NONE of them are full fat or lower carb.
Only place here I can find full fat Fage is in Whole Foods. In Tampa, their Whole Foods had it last summer when I was visiting my Mom.

Sprouts carries full fat Greek Gods. Not sure if you have a Sprouts in FL.
2bflawless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 11:40 PM   #9

Gallery: wifey
Stats: goal is size 10
They have it in little heath food stores around here.
wifey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 04:18 AM   #10

Gallery: TaDa!
Stats: 236.5 /132.5/ 128-133 @5'3"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance (Vegetarian + Fish)
Start Date: 6/03 & Goal! 5/06
I'll just pipe in -- I seem to be the only one I've ever seen on lcf with this issue but both the specially formulated lowcarb yogurt and the lowcarb milk stall me to a dead stop. Weirdly, I can tolerate any regular dairy products with no problem. So just be aware when you add special lc dairy in that if you have a problem, it could be the lc milk products ... I am jealous that everyone else seems to tolerate them, lol!!!

Second thing, many of the comments above, and in general around here about yogurt, are due to the fact that people are eating plain or plain greek yogurt and applying something called "the yogurt exception" to the carb count of yogurt, counting only 4 net carbs per cup (8 oz). That is what I do too.

Here is the origin of that idea. This is a blurb promoting a book by Doctors Jack Goldberg, and Karen O'Mara called The GO-Diet

"The problem with the stated carbohydrate content on the packages of fermented food products arises because the government makes manufacturers count the carbohydrates of food "by difference." That means they measure everything else including water and ash and fats and proteins. Then "by difference," they assume everything else is carbohydrate. This works quite well for most foods including milk. However, to make yogurt, buttermilk and kefir, the milk is inoculated with the lactic acid bacteria. These bacteria use up almost all the milk sugar called "lactose" and convert it into lactic acid. It is this lactic acid which curds the milk and gives the taste to the product. Since these bacteria have "eaten" most of the milk sugar by the time you buy it (or make it yourself.) At the time you eat it, how can there be much carbohydrate left? It is the lactic acid which is counted as carbohydrate. Therefore, you can eat up to a half cup of plain yogurt, buttermilk, or kefir and only count 2 grams of carbohydrates (Dr. Goldberg has measured this in his own laboratory.) One cup will contain about 4 grams of carbohydrates. Daily consumption colonizes the intestine with these bacteria to handle small amounts of lactose in yogurt (or even sugar-free ice cream later.)

Don't be afraid of plain, unsweetened varieties. This is how kefir and yogurt have traditionally been used. You may find that "plain" tastes best of all. Or, you can add your own no-calorie sweeteners and flavorings (or berries or nuts and seeds). It may be better if the product is "bovine growth hormone free" although this is still controversial.

Does it matter if it's "nonfat", "low fat" or "original, normal fat"? No. This will affect the texture a bit, but on this diet, you can eat any fat content product. Your preference rules here. We prefer the "mouth feel" of the whole milk varieties. Try them all and decide for yourself..."

Contents copyright © 1999 — 2009 Low Carb Luxury, Inc.

Stats: 47 Years Old & 5'3" tall
Weight: 236.5 (43 bmi) / 132.5 / 128-133 (size 4/6 .. 23 bmi)

*Weekly Weigh-In 7/10/12

My Journal
Year One Weightloss and Chart
My Weightloss Story

Last edited by TaDa!; 03-02-2010 at 04:20 AM..
TaDa! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 04:32 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: miss sparky
Stats: 204/170/160
WOE: VLC
Start Date: 10 March 2007
I don't think we get special 'low carb' yoghurt here in the UK, but if we did I'd count them as 'frankenfoods' and woudn't touch them with a bargepole (as we say!). I always get Fage or any greek yoghurt, organic if I can afford it that week, all of which are 10%fat...yum.
miss sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 06:42 AM   #12

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
TaDa, I used to subscribe to that yogurt carb theory too, but since I've seen where the testing that was done to show that happens was flawed. The guy was only measuring lactose, and while the bacteria changes lactose into something else, so it appeared to be "gone," most of what it changed into had the same useable carb values. My blood sugar testing, while not a totally precise thing of course, leads me to think the carb counts on the labels are closer to right than the 4 grams. Of course, I suppose it may again be some substance that various metabolisms digest differently. I bought some Fage this weekend and am going to carefully test it to see if I can believe that lower carb value they show of 6 grams. Whenever a product has less carbs than the similar ones on the shelf, I always wonder if it was just a quirk in testing and/or labeling or real. Example: the notorious Lindt 85% chocolate bars. pfft! LOL

And yes, miss sparky, they contain Splenda, so they would count on your forbidden list. *s* Personally, I think removing the milk sugar is a good thing.

Last edited by ravenrose; 03-02-2010 at 06:43 AM..
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 11:34 AM   #13

Gallery: TaDa!
Stats: 236.5 /132.5/ 128-133 @5'3"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance (Vegetarian + Fish)
Start Date: 6/03 & Goal! 5/06
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenrose View Post
TaDa, I used to subscribe to that yogurt carb theory too, but since I've seen where the testing that was done to show that happens was flawed. The guy was only measuring lactose, and while the bacteria changes lactose into something else, so it appeared to be "gone," most of what it changed into had the same useable carb values. My blood sugar testing, while not a totally precise thing of course, leads me to think the carb counts on the labels are closer to right than the 4 grams. Of course, I suppose it may again be some substance that various metabolisms digest differently. I bought some Fage this weekend and am going to carefully test it to see if I can believe that lower carb value they show of 6 grams. Whenever a product has less carbs than the similar ones on the shelf, I always wonder if it was just a quirk in testing and/or labeling or real. Example: the notorious Lindt 85% chocolate bars. pfft! LOL

And yes, miss sparky, they contain Splenda, so they would count on your forbidden list. *s* Personally, I think removing the milk sugar is a good thing.
Totally understandable RR! and while it seems to work great for me and great for some people, obviously if it raises your blood sugars, it doesn't apply to your body! Thanks for pointing that out and best of luck with the FAGE!!!! I wish wish wish I could buy FAGE all the time, but my grocery bill just went up with my new commitment to "humane certified" eggs and the food budget can't take another hit right now, lol!!!!!
TaDa! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 11:58 AM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SCOTTSDALEJULIE
Stats: 242/202/145
I also love the Carbmasters. I get it at my Fry's here in AZ. Julie
SCOTTSDALEJULIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 02:10 PM   #15
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: IndyR
Fage and Dannon 0% at Walmart

my local Wal-mart superstore has both the Fage 0% and the dannon light & fit 0% Greek yogurts. they have 9 and 8 carbs/serving respectively. Wal-Mary's great value brand also has a copy of the fave (great value Greek nonfat. hope this helps. your answers led me to these
IndyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 04:08 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lisamt
Stats: 200/187/130
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: December 2012
This is an old thread, but since it got bumped I thought I would mention that Safeway's Open Nature brand has a plain Greek yogurt that is 5 g carbs and 18 g protein in a 6 oz container. I think that is the lowest I have seen for Greek style yogurt.

I prefer full fat yogurt and this is non-fat, so I stir in a tablespoon of hwc.
lisamt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:54 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: snowdancer79
Stats: 202/175/150 5'8" restart 10.01.12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firm Hottie View Post
Yep, CarbMaster yogurt. I get mine at Kroger. 80 calories, 4 grams of carbs (3 net), and 12 grams of protein. I just wish it had more fat in it, as it only has 1.5 grams per serving. But it tastes great, and I can always get my fat from other sources.

I love the CarbMaster. So many flavors, so few carbs. I eat it 3 or 4 times a week sometimes with lunch.
snowdancer79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:20 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: canadiangirl
Stats: 162/125/125
WOE: Low Carb/ ReducedCalorie
Start Date: June 12, 2012
I have just started buying Source Greek Yogurt. The pk that comes with lemon and vanilla is 4g total carbs and the strawberry/peach is 5g a container. Very thick and rich. It is made with sweetener so no real sugar is added. Its a nice addition to my woe.
canadiangirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:04 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Weezy
For those who have issues with additives--read the labels carefully! I've discovered that many yoghurts, even the full fat ones, have thickeners of various types. Those thickeners seem to be what spikes my blood sugar, since yoghurt made with only milk and cream barely makes it blip.

My fav is Greek Gods full fat plain. Walmart carries it around here. I can't get the full fat at any of the local hippie/co-op or Whole Foods, they only have low fat and fat free (and those ALWAYS have various types of thickeners in them).
Weezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:42 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SUZYQ
WOE: ATKIN'S
Start Date: Feb. , 2007, again!!
Yep, Kroger Carb Master!
SUZYQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:20 AM   #21
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: emmalu
Carbmaster is my choice for taste, nutritionals, and price. 40 cents, 60 calories, 4 carbs, and 8 protein. The flavors suit me fine.
emmalu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 12:37 PM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Iwantlessofme
Stats: Well on my way to fantastic!!
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: Every single day, day in day out
I am in Dallas Fort Worth area, can someone tell me where I get the Carbmaster yogurt? I am assuming this is not ok in the induction phase?

Thanks,
Mindy
Iwantlessofme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 01:03 PM   #23
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
Carbmaster is carried by Kroger
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 01:17 PM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kitcub
Start Date: 01/19/09...this time
Love, love, love Greek yogurt. I usually buy the Greek Gods full fat one. I used to get the Trader Joe's brand one but I don't live near one anymore. I don't know if they still carry a good one. I usually add a splash of DaVinci or Torani syrup in for flavor. Sometimes fresh berries and/or chopped nuts. Yummo!

If you are on the West Coast the Kroger stores that carry Carbmaster yogurt are Fred Meyer. Not a bad choice, but I do so prefer the creaminess of the Greek.
kitcub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 01:22 PM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JQuintero
Stats: 268/206/?
WOE: LFL
Start Date: Every morning
I can get the Carbmaster yogurt out here in Southern California at Ralphs.
JQuintero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 11:10 AM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Savannah
Stats: 307.8/205/175
WOE: VSG 2/27/12 & low carb
Start Date: everyday
I'm in the DFW area & Kroger has the carbmaster in the dairy section.
Fage is near the produce & organic section.

Some WalMarts have Fage both 0% & 2%.
Target has both & my Costco has the best price for a large container
@ 4.99

my Fage & I used to use Greek Gods, but Fage has the best amount of protein per serving for my protein count!!
Savannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 01:40 PM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lisamt
Stats: 200/187/130
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: December 2012
I tried the Greek Gods plain yogurt, but did not like it as much as Fage or Open Nature. I was also disappointed to see it only had 6 g protein per serving.
lisamt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 01:43 PM   #28
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
When I eat yogurt (it's off the table now, as I'm in an extended induction), I buy the plain full fat yogurt with the cream on top from Trader Joe's. I have half a cup at a time plain, or add SF syrup or sweetzfree liquid Splenda and cinnamon or vanilla extract.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 02:26 PM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Annie75
WOE: Low carb
Love me some Carbmasters! Buy it about 25 cartons at a time. They have some great new flavors like Black Forest (YUM!), Banana Cream Pie, Key Lime, and Carrot Cake. Good and guilt free!
Annie75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 04:37 PM   #30
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jdc12383
Thank you for sharing this!
jdc12383 is offline   Reply With Quote