Gallery: LJB
Stats: Size 8 at Present
WOE: Real food.
I used this recipe:
Ingredients:

• 1 15 ounce can black beans, drained
  • 1/2 onion, diced
  • 1 tsp hot sauce
  • 1/2 red or yellow bell pepper, diced (optional)
  • 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
  • 1 egg
  • 1 cup bread crumbs (I used Ezekiel 3:9 bread or pulverized pita chips)
  • oil for frying (optional)
Preparation:

Mash the beans in a large bowl and add remaining ingredients, mixing until well combined. Press firmly to form into patties and lightly fry in oil. Or, fire up the grill and barbecue your black bean veggie burgers over a medium heat.
LJB is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-2010, 11:27 AM   #32
LJB
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LJB
Stats: Size 8 at Present
WOE: Real food.
And I used this which I added the black beans too:

Ingredients:

• 1/2 container firm or extra firm tofu, mashed
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 3 green onions, diced
  • 2 tbsp wheat germ (I used the Ezekeil 3:9 bread or pulverized pita chips)
  • 2 tbsp flour (I used almond flour)
  • 2 tbsp garlic powder
  • 2 tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
  • dash pepper and cayenne pepper
  • oil for frying
Preparation:

Mix all ingredients in a large bowl. Form into patties. Fry patties in oil in a large skillet until brown and crisp, about 10 minutes.
LJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 03:28 PM   #33
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Joycelyn
Pauline is too modest! Pauline was interviewed for the book The Low Carb Vegetarian by Rose Elliott! Go ahead, tell 'em Pauline! I'll toot your own horn for you. Great thread.
Joycelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 05:42 AM   #34

Gallery: TaDa!
Stats: 236.5 /132.5/ 128-133 @5'3"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance (Vegetarian + Fish)
Start Date: 6/03 & Goal! 5/06
Here is some information on the vegetarian and vegan options given in The New Atkins For A New You (NANY) by Dr. Eric C. Westman, Dr. Stephen D. Phinney, and Dr. Jeff S. Volek. I finally got to read it and have to say I do like how the authors have finally put into print an Atkins version of vegetarian and vegan eating. I've known it was possible since 2003 and have always been sorry that we have been shut out of any official version of the father of lowcarb's plan! Especially seeing as I lost 100+ pounds on it after suffering vegetarian lowfat diets my whole life!!!!

Well, on to the book!

The New Atkins For A New You Veg Style!!!!!

Both vegans and vegetarian versions of NANY start at OWL, rather than Induction, at the lowest rungs possible to include appropriate plant proteins not included on a traditional Induction. I think this makes a lot of sense! I did induction way back when using Dr. Atkins directives + tofu (minus the meat of course) and it was very very repetitive and hard to get through!

The information on veg Atkins is sprinkled throughout the book and my best advice is to read it all in order to get the best idea of all the options open to you. There is a nice summary and portion guide of the vegetarian proteins like tofu and tempeh, for example, in the induction section (on page 84) and most of the foods in the induction portion of the book - with the exception of the animal proteins and dairy for Vegans - is going to be applicable!

Vegans start in OWL at 50 net carbs, including both rung 3 of the NANY Carb Ladder (seeds and nuts) and rung 6 (legumes) as vegan proteins. The authors do say that weightloss speed will be slower, mostly due to the legumes. Specific instructions on how to include legumes, quantities, and lowest carb counts are given to help a vegan segue from the portion size and usage in high carb vegan eating which is going to differ drastically in lowcarb!!

Vegetarians start in OWL at 30 net carbs and include rung 3, nuts. Vegetarians also have the option of 50 net carbs like Vegans for slower weightloss. I will also add that the authors' addition of yogurt to the definition of "fresh cheeses" for OWL is very helpful! Mind you, I have been adding them in there myself for a few years already, but it is nice to have a Atkins doctor verify this approach!!

I took a look at the menus and they look to me like the typical cookbook menus you get for vegetarians and vegans ... in other words, a little too fancy and specialized for me! Now if I had a private chef, I'd love those menus!!!! but I tend to just eat a lot of what I like and eat similar menus daily -- lol! --Probably why I cringe when people ask me for vegetarian lc menus on here - since I get into food ruts, and my menu may be totally unpalatable to someone else.

Nonetheless the menus are a great resource for wannabe Atkins vegans/vegs! And, I feel similarly about Rose Elliott's book menus and recipes .. I also think there is no such thing as a typical anything -- meateater, vegetarian, vegan, etc. so do not go on my word, if you are interested in this way of eating, check out both books for yourself!! I believe they absolutely complement one another and can be used together.

The Vegetarian Low-Carb Diet Rose Elliott
The New Atkins For A New You by Dr. Eric C. Westman, Dr. Stephen D. Phinney, and Dr. Jeff S. Volek
TaDa! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 05:45 AM   #35

and I almost forgot ..

The New Atkins Carb Ladder!

1. Foundation Vegetables: leafy greens and other low-carb vegetables

2. Dairy Foods high in fat and low in carbs

3. Seeds and Nuts (but not chestnuts)

4. Berries, cherries and melons (but not watermelon)

5. Whole milk yogurt and fresh cheeses, such as cottage cheese and ricotta

6. Legumes

7. Tomato and vegetable juice "cocktail" (plus more lime and lemon juice)

8. Other fruits (but not fruit juices or dried fruits)

9. Higher-carb vegetables, such as winter squash, carrots and peas

10. Whole grains
Old 08-31-2010, 08:06 PM   #36
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: freznow
Stats: 117/111/110
WOE: Low(er) carb veg + organic meat
Start Date: Spring 2007/Spring 2010
I just wanted to say that I've recently tried moving to LC. I'd been ovo-lacto vegetarian for 3 years and tried moving over to pescetarian when I discovered low carb. For a little while now I've been feeling pressure to incorporate more and more animal proteins but I didn't want to go further. This thread and others have been really encouraging and I feel much better about my dietary choices and ability to maintain and enjoy this.

Thank you for the recipes and motivation!
freznow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 03:44 AM   #37

Hi Freznow! I am really glad this could help you some It is definitely an adjustment from straight highcarb lacto-ovo (or even adding fish) to lowcarb eating, but once I got used to changing the nutrient portions of my meals to include higher amounts of good protein and fat, and even a little more vegetables, it became second nature to me!

I also eat some fish - and have eaten that way (high carb, then low carb) for over 30 years .. and I eat fish pretty much only as an option outside of the house, so very rarely. I imagine in Japan, eating out presents difficulties the same way it does here!

Our local Japanese restaurants have started offering vegetarian makis in their sushi menu and they also will make their regular maki without rice .. using either cucumber or "pickled turnip". The turnip is sweet so probably not a good option .. I also tend to order either miso soup, or a clear seaweed soup with tofu ...

A friend just showed me this really cool website about Bento lunches and a lot of the recipes (not all) are lowcarb vegetarian! Just Bento | a healthy meal in a box: great bento recipes, tips, and more

Anyhow, feel free to post in this thread on how you cope doing lowcarb vegetarian in Japan! I, for one, would love to hear about it!!

Welcome!!!

Pauline
Old 09-01-2010, 01:03 PM   #38
Junior LCF Member

Thank you! I've been thinking about Japan. I figure most parts of something like sushi - vegetables, fish, tofu - are fairly low-carb friendly; it's the rice I'll have to avoid. So I still have a bunch of options, like sashimi, miso, plain ole stir fry... My mom's Japanese-American friend took us to a Japanese place where we first got tofu-miso soup and salad with miso paste, then I ordered some eel which came with rice. Minus the rice, that'd be a good meal for eating out (I suppose I'll look weird being the only one in Japan not eating rice, but I can pull the foreign card.)

We're moving in a few months (have to do things as the military says, when the military says to do them) so I'll probably try some bento-esque meals until then. I've tried making them before, but I would always put so much rice in! It's weird how grains became so much of a staple. I'm still adjusting to the idea that I should have 2 eggs in the morning and no toast, but it's getting easier. I especially like that the higher fat ratio gives me near free reign with nuts and seeds. I'd been avoiding them before because of the misguided idea that fat was bad, and it didn't make sense to me that a serving of nuts would put me over the "fat limit", so it's really nice to see that on the LC veg diet I actually need these increased fats!
Old 09-01-2010, 01:04 PM   #39
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lisaerinqt04
Stats: 22/8/4 (-98lbs!)(5'4" & 153lbs) Measures 38-26-39
WOE: '72/Gluten Free
Start Date: 1/1/2010 - "Don't Look Back"
Great info Tada! Thanks for sharing!
lisaerinqt04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 01:37 PM   #40

Hi Lisa, glad you like it .. it is a compilation of several threads I started on doing lc as a vegetarian over the years, lol!

Freznow, I always do copious research before I travel .. lol! I just got back from a VERY difficult trip to Costa Rica food-wise, lol! I managed, but it certainly was not a great culinary experience most of the time, lol!!!!

I think Japan will be a lot easier for you, especially if you will do some fish and there are some really cool soy / tofu products too. I remembered that in Japan rice allergy is more common (like wheat allergy is here), so I did a search and came up with a figure of 10% not sure if that is right or not!! As far as carby native foods, they also eat buckwheat noodles (soba) ..

But in my search on allergy, I found this cool website .. and here is a thread with some good ideas on printing out language cards for use at restaurants and a place you can get those ... the thread is on egg and nut allergy, but some of the info might be interesting since you are moving there: Eating with severe food allergies - japan-guide.com forum

I hope you'll post once you move and let us know how you are doing!!!

Pauline

p.s. anyone reading the thread for new info, I did add 2 new pieces of info in posts #34 and #35 above ...
Old 09-02-2010, 06:30 PM   #41
Junior LCF Member

Well, today didn't go very well. :\ I went in to donate blood (last time I went, I was at the lower limit for nearly every stat...) and the machine couldn't even read my hemoglobin levels - they were below 10.5g/dL when a 12.5 is lower normal. Last time I went, 2 months ago, as a high-carb vegetarian who did not eat fish and had relatively low iron intake, it was 13.1.

Now, a portion of this is likely due to the fact that I was trying to be 'prepared' and drank a half gallon of water this morning, which would likely dilute the blood. Still, it's quite low and I think I've been feeling it these past few days with the desire to eat meat. What can it be? The only thing that I can think is that maybe I'm getting less vitamin C (but I checked, and I'm getting roughly the same) or that calcium or perhaps protein is interfering with absorption; I wasn't as consistent with my multivitamin (300g calcium) 2 months ago, but the multi also has 18g of iron, so I just don't get it. Why's my blood so low?

My dad's booking me a doctor's appointment, but I wanted to post too. It's kinda stressing me out.
Old 09-03-2010, 03:41 AM   #42

Awwww sorry Freznow. I once had too low an iron when I went to give blood -- and did get "borderline anemic" during pregnancy. Both times, iron supplements fixed the problem (Although I list fish, I do eat very little of it most of the time).

I am sure the doctor will sort it out for you! I'd actually ask your Dad if you can call the doctor's office ahead of time and see if they'll order you a complete blood test, so you can go get your blood drawn and have the results when the doctor sees you ... otherwise you have to wait for the results until after the doctor's appointment.

Do not worry too much! It will all get sorted out.

big

Pauline
Old 10-01-2010, 01:47 PM   #43
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: markb714
How would you rankthe recipes in these books from best to least?

Just getting started in "Low-Carb" vegie.

In what order would you rank these book as far as the recipes go for taste and their carb content?

The Vegetarian Low-Carb Diet by Rose Elliot
The Vegetarian Low-carb Diet Cookbook by Rose Elliot **
Low-GI Vegetarian Cookbook by Rose Elliot **
Low-Carb Vegetarian by Margo DeMello
Carb Conscious Vegetarian by Robin Robinson

Warmest regards,

Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaDa! View Post
I've had three pm's since I mentioned in a thread that I told my doctor in 2006 that I was doing Lowcarb Vegetarian Atkins when he asked me whether I'd had "surgery" lol!!!!!!! In order to answer questions about Vegetarian Atkins, I thought it would be easiest to post here and direct anyone who is interested in the information. There are older threads kicking around, but I thought it might be better to combine and update the information.

Atkins Vegetarian-Style

First of all I will mention that there is a new "Atkins" book coming out this month: New Atkins for a New You: The Ultimate Diet for Shedding Weight and Feeling Great by Dr. Eric C. Westman, Dr. Stephen D. Phinney, and Dr. Jeff S. Volek. A pre-release review by Jimmy Moore of LaVida Lowcarb Blog mentions that there is provision in part II for lifestyle preferences and for doing Atkins as a vegetarian or vegan.

Obviously I haven't seen the new book, so I cannot address the recommendations in there. I have, however, lost weight to goal doing Vegetarian Atkins and maintaining - for a total of 7 years in June - and I did it by the book, Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution 2002 (DANDR), doing a two-week induction and then going up the carb ladder in OWL.

Since I lost most of my weight, a well-known vegetarian cookbook author has released a book with a Vegetarian version of Atkins complete with two weeks of induction menus and recipes. I highly recommend reading both DANDR and her book, The Vegetarian Low-Carb Diet by Rose Elliot.

Vegetarian Proteins

Basically on Atkins, the ONLY difference between a vegetarian and a traditional Atkins follower is the proteins obviously. There are more veg proteins suitable for Atkins than you might think. If you are a vegetarian coming to do Atkins, this will be pretty obvious to you. If you are meateater interested in eating a little less meat, or thinking of giving up meat, this may sound difficult -- but it is the exact same "difficulty" one would have in starting both a "diet plan" and a new lifestyle like vegetarianism would be.

The list of proteins
1. eggs
2. cheese and yogurt
3. Soy: including Veggie burgers and sausages (read labels for carb counts!!), Tofu, Tempeh
4. Quorn (a protein derived from a mushroom! lol!)
5. Seitan (also known as wheat gluten)
6. TVP (textured vegetable protein)
7. Nuts and Seeds!! (add in on OWL, rung 3 Carb Ladder)
8. Beans (rather carby, also an OWL add-in, rung 8 on Carb Ladder -- and something I, personally, do not eat regularly, just every now and then)

There are many soy products available in the frozen case of the supermarket, but it is very important to read the labels and be sure you are getting no more than 2-3 net carbs per serving -- at least during induction. Other proteins like tofu and tempeh take a little more vegetarian cooking expertise, and some people find they do not like the flavors. The same can be said for TVP, Seitan and Quorn. My best advice on all of these more "exotic" vegetarian proteins is to get some good cookbooks before you try using them in anything but straight meat substitute fashion ... like using "soy burger crumbles" in standard lc casserole recipes.

And FYI, I have been asked if you can do vegetarian lc without "soy" for those who choose not to eat it for whatever reason and my answer is "Yes you can." Look at the list above and remove item #3 ... you still have all those other proteins to use. And I will say, one protein that is seriously underestimated here on LCF, and in general, is nuts and seeds ... what an amazing protein source!

Induction

I did a regular Atkins induction, so no nuts, although I did eat tofu and veggie burgers and I will not kid you, it was difficult and very limiting. Rose Elliot includes some non-induction proteins, nuts and yogurt specifically, in her "carb cleanse" which is the 2-week induction and I do not think that is a bad idea. In the new "Atkins" book coming out - listed above - they probably recommend that Vegetarians and vegans skip induction ... This is the one area where what you do really does have to differ from Traditional Atkins ... but if like me, you plan to be on Atkins for a while, it is only a 2 week period of time. I had no outside sources to help me convert the Dr. Atkins plans for my use, but if I was to start today, I'd probably use Rose Elliot's version of induction ..

OWL: Ongoing Weight Loss

Here is where you start to add in various foods to see how they affect your weightloss while on Atkins. Even if you choose to remain at lower carb levels, I think it is important for a vegetarian to add in rungs 2 and 3. Rung 2 is Fresh Cheeses, but I interpret that to include yogurt and it has been a great part of my food plan for the last couple of years. Rung 3 is nuts, which are a great addition to your menu.

So, the basic question most non-vegetarians have: How do you actually eat? Basically before lc, a vegetarian would eat a large portion of carb and vegetables with a small amount of protein added ... so, let's say, a plate of brown rice, or couscous, or pasta with veggies and tofu in sauce sitting on top, or veggies and cheese in sauce sitting on top, or a casserole in those proportions .... after lowcarb, we eat the same way the meateaters do, so a large portion of protein with veggies ... the one difference being, maybe, a much larger veggie portion than a meateater might choose to eat - but that is a matter of preference and not one of necessity.

Atkins Carb Ladder:

1. More Salad and other vegetables on the acceptable foods list

2. Fresh cheeses (as well as more aged cheese)
....induction is 3-4 oz hard cheese. Fresh cheese refers to cottage and farmers cheeses ... and I like to include yogurt

3. Seeds and Nuts

4. Berries

5. Wine and other spirits low in carbs

6. Legumes
....beans and peanuts

7. Fruits other than berries and melons

8. Starchy vegetables
....carrots, squash, yams, peas, potatoes

9. Whole Grains

....brown rice, oatmeal, corn, whole wheat, barley

Restaurants

This really is the biggest hurdle, but here are the things I do:

1. eggs, omelettes, etc and a vegetable,

2. A big salad like a Cobb salad minus the turkey or chicken and bacon.

3. Ask for pasta dish minus the pasta, have them put the sauce over a plate of steamed or sauteed veggies like spinach (I looooove this!)

4. Stirfried tofu at the Chinese (watch out for sugary sauces!!! Thai food is a better choice! or ask for a steamed dish)

5. Saag Paneer and other dishes at Indian restaurants

6. Take apart sandwiches and add them to a salad .. did this recently with a grilled cheese and veggie quesadilla. Peeled everything off the tortilla and threw it in my salad with a little sour cream and salsa .. oh yum!

7. If you do eat some meat or fish, this is the time to order it as the most challenging aspect of lc vegetarian is having meals out. (the fish in my diet is generally something I only eat out once or twice a month - and is unnecessary to do a true lacto-ovo Vegetarian style of eating)

Books and Cookbooks

The Vegetarian Low-Carb Diet by Rose Elliot
The Vegetarian Low-carb Diet Cookbook by Rose Elliot **
Low-GI Vegetarian Cookbook by Rose Elliot **
Low-Carb Vegetarian by Margo DeMello
Carb Conscious Vegetarian by Robin Robinson

** I haven't read these ones, but can recommend all the rest of them!

And! I have recently been looking at my traditional high carb vegetarian cookbooks, and have found, much to my amazement, tens of recipes that are either already lowcarb (!!) or can be converted with a single ingredient substitution, so I highly recommend looking at some of those too - maybe at the library. The Mollie Katzen and Moosewood cookbooks in particular! I could kick myself for not looking at them sooner, lol!

Another wonderful source are the boards here, and Linda Sue's website: Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes - Home You can easily go to the "ground beef" section and make any of those recipes using "hamburger crumbles" made of soy from the frozen case (Morningstar makes one you can find in most supermarkets). A vegetarian who knows how to work with the naked proteins could use tvp, tofu, tempeh, quorn, or seitan in these recipes too ... Here on the boards too are many quiches and other casseroles that feature eggs and cheeses and nut crusts. I just started a thread for lc vegetarian recipes here: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...l#post13196225

As with all lowcarb cookery, always be on the lookout for possible recipe substitutions. Along with the "fake meat crumbles," other things to research here on lcf and the recipe board in particular: using black soybeans, flax, quinoa (a seed that acts like a grain), and many others too. I wish I could think of others right now -- I guess we can always add them to this thread ... but what I am trying to say, is that basically you use the same substitution skills in lc vegetarian food prep as you do in lc food prep, just dispensing with the pork rinds, lol!

I find that most vegetarian recipes here, including the ones I post are heavy on the eggs and dairy, but there are a wealth of recipes that include other proteins. I have not tried a lot of them because I have a vegetarian daughter with some allergies to common ingredients in those casseroles (mustard, sesame) and prefer to make things we all can eat, but am hoping to try some of those from the regular vegetarian cookbooks soon (at the moment The Enchanted Broccoli Forest by Mollie Katzen)

Other Moderate Carb Plans

Many of these were not around when I started, but I have always said that if South Beach Diet were around when I did start, it might have been a more obvious choice for a vegetarian to try. Don't get me wrong, I love love love eating higher fat Atkins-style, but the choice of some slightly higher carb foods - like more beans and whole grains - may have worked for me too. I know there other moderate carb plans out there too (still lc in my book!), so if this particular one is not for you, do some research here. There are people who are very knowledgeable on Protein Power, CAD, The Lower GI diet, etc etc! You do NOT have to do lowfat high carb to lose weight as a vegetarian .... yuck!

Happy Lowcarbing!

Pauline
markb714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 06:47 PM   #44

Oh Gosh Mark - I would love to help with that .... honestly I am soooooo not a cookbook person!! Once I get the gist of how to cook a food, I tend to wing it all the time pretty well.

I own the Margo DeMello book and the Rose Elliott "Low Carb Vegetarian Diet book" only. It is funny because all the other books you've listed are on my list to pick up ..

Rose Elliott does have a "diet" program at the start of the book with a 14 day "Carb Cleanse" which mimics Atkins Induction. Thumbing through the book, I see recipes at the very low end of the carb range .. like 4 and 6 net carbs and then higher ones like 9 and 17. She does nicely list which recipes apply to which phases of her program (she calls it 1, 2, and 3 and it is like Induction, OWL and Maintenance).

Margo DeMello has amazing sound recipes and the range seems much bigger from 4 net carbs, to quite a few that are in the 30 net carb range per serving ..

I am sorry I could not give you a better idea of how good the recipes might be ... My best advice is to head over to the Amazon reviews of each book and see if you can glean information there ... or even possibly google the book name and the word "review" .. maybe you'll luck out and there'll be a lowcarb blogger out there that loves to cook and try out lc veg recipes, lol!!

One other thing I do is to get books out from the library before I buy them .. my library belongs to a consortium and I can often take out books via my library from other libraries around the state .. It works really great for me!!!

Pauline

Last edited by TaDa!; 10-01-2010 at 06:49 PM..
Old 10-01-2010, 08:59 PM   #45
Junior LCF Member

Carb Conscious Vegetarian by Robin Robinson???

Hi Pauline,

Really apprecaite the quick response. I had read the reviews on Amazon (and Amazon UK for Rose Elliot books) on all of the books before I ever found this website...which is amazing by the way.

It seems that Carb Conscious Vegetarian by Robin Robinson had the best reviews but it didn't give an indication of how many carbs the recipes had in them. It's way cheaper on Amazon than the other books and I wasn't sure if that was an indication of the quality of the recipes as often times you get what you pay for. Any thoughts of this one?

I'm getting pretty sick of eating just broccoli and green beans.

Warmest regards,

Mark

P.S. I've lost 13 pounds in 10 days. Don't know if that's typical.
Old 10-02-2010, 05:16 AM   #46

Nice weightloss there Mark!!!! And yeah, I think that could be typical weightloss for a man - For the first two weeks, I think I have heard a figure of (as high as) 10% of what you have to lose .. I had over 100 pounds to lose, and so that would have made it 10+ pounds, but I only lost 6, lol!

Remember that it is mostly water that we lose right at the beginning .. carbs grab onto water as they go get stored in your body (muscles) and when you lower the carbs, you take off a lot of water as well as any fat loss ..

Carb Conscious Vegetarian is on my list to get also - I did look it over after it first came out .... ok I just went over to my library website and ordered it to take out again. They transport it from another library so it may take a few days - but I will be happy to look through it and see what I think

I won't be back on the computer til later .. but if you tell me about what you've been eating, maybe I can point you to some new meal ideas ... I love some stirfried cabbage (you chop it up and stirfry it either in oil or a spray) .. it is really good with a tablespoon or two of butter and a couple tablespoons of parmesan cheese ...

I like a nice salad with an oil based dressing, throw feta cheese on top, black olives, tomato, green onion, even a little avocado if you like it ...

Also some eggplant with sauce and cheese ..

Tofu stirfry with different veggies every time ...

Anyhooo, back later if you want anymore thoughts, lol! and maybe some of the other knowledgeable people will jump in with ideas for you too ..
Old 10-03-2010, 01:58 PM   #47
Junior LCF Member

Hi Pauline,

Here is what I've been eating so far:

Breakfast
1 egg with a little pinch of cheese (either cheddar or mozzarella).

Lunch
3 oz of haddock with a 1/2 cup of either green beans or broccoli.

Dinner
1/2 cup of soy milk mixed with 1/4 cup of water and whey protein powder.

Snacks
a small handful of either walnuts or almonds twice a day.

I ordered the Carb-Conscious Vegetarian Cookbook today off Amazon for the ridiculously low price of $3.80 + $3.99 shipping. As you can see from what I'm eating it's somewhere between low carb and starvation. I don't have a cholesterol problem (in fact mine is very low) and I don't want to start one by eating more that one egg (one of my favorite foods except for very rare steak which I am attempting to give up) per day. I bought some Tofu, fresh spinach, and collard greens today so at least this should give me some more variety. I'll get more ideas of what to eat veggie-wise when the previously mentioned cookbook comes and will also get some meal ideas from the internet.

Warmest regards,

Mark
Old 10-03-2010, 02:32 PM   #48

Mark, you should be able to get some good ideas for variety - as far as vegetarian food - of course, fish is not included in those books ...

This is not really on topic so much for a vegetarian thread, but I notice a couple of things on your menu .. Have you picked a specific plan? or are you doing your own thing? I notice you are eating very little food in total as your protein portions sound small to me - although they are a nice selection of healthy vegetarian proteins (as well as the fish). I just hope you are eating enough!! lol! I think I have heard it quoted that men should stay above 1800 calories generally - well I am sure that depends on your size, of course too!

As far as the egg that you mention, I highly recommend you post on the main board about eggs .. essentially, "Eggs and dietary influences on Cholesterol" so you can get some good links to trusted information sources. I am not the most well-versed on that and actually was a little wary at first, but I easily eat 2-3 eggs a day when I want and my cholesterol is very good as well.

Anyhow, I understand the concerns people have, but you might want to do a little research on that!

Come on in and let us know what you think of the book when you get it!!!!

Pauline