LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2010, 03:31 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: scarletakb
Stats: 5' 1" 241.2/175/110
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Jan 24,2010
Atkins, and flax seed meal...

I started back on atkin's 5 weeks ago( I di Atkins for YEARS, and fell off the wagon.. finally got back ON the wagon.. I did strict induction for 2 weeks, and now I'm sort of in on-going weight loss.. I'm not eating any fruit, or nuts or seeds yet, and NO frankenfoods. just protein, veggies, and dairy, and keeping it around 25-30 grams of carbs per day..

So to keep it interesting, I've been doing tons of cooking. I have several low carb cook books, and I also make alot of things out of the recipee room here.. Tonight I made a tuna bake that called for Flax seed meal. So, I bought some, made it, and ate it. Then I got to thinking.. crap.. flax seed meal is a grain!!!!!! I"m not supposed to HAVE grains!!!!! (6 Tablespoons went into the recipe, which makes 6 servings, so I had 1 Tbsp of flax meal)And I made a decent sized pan of it, so that I would have some leftovers to take to lunch with me.... now I'm thinking I may have to throw it out...

On the package, it basically says that it has zero carbs... (5 grams carbs - 5 grams fiber, the brand is bob's red mill).. so I thought I was ok.. but I searched through my atkins books, and it doesn't say anything about flax seed meal... and Also, no grains are allowed until premaintainance...

I'm kind of a purist when it comes to Atkins, so, I'm feeling kind of like I really messed up... So, how badly did I screw up... AND, more importantly, should I throw the pan away, or, do you think I'm ok to eat it?
scarletakb is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-2010, 03:40 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TerriG
Stats: 236/177/160
Start Date: June 2009
No need to throw it away... flax has become a main staple in many Atkins followers diets as it is a >1 net carb. My daughter makes a "brownie" out of it.... even got my friend making them.
TerriG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 03:45 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: scarletakb
Stats: 5' 1" 241.2/175/110
Start Date: Jan 24,2010
Is this something that is new then? I know when I did Atkin's last time, alot of people were talking about sugar alcohols... and low carb bars, and lots of other things, that sounded like they had little to no carbs.. and then when I tried them, I stopped losing.... (I have PCOS, and am a terribly SLOW loser)... I just don't want to do anything that will throw me out of ketosis, or stall me...
scarletakb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 03:50 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: miss sparky
Stats: 204/170/160
WOE: VLC
Start Date: 10 March 2007
flax, or linseed as we call it here, isn't a grain....grains are from grasses. It's the seeds of flax, which plant linen is made from, by the way.
I use flax in my breakfast muffins, and yes it's more or less zero carb. Take it easy though to start off with....it's a bit laxative!!!!
miss sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 04:31 PM   #5
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
I am an old timer atkins person also and flax seed is new to me. I had the same kind of thought about it but I do think it is OK and in fact is really great.
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 11:08 PM   #6

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
There are some Atkins purists who might disagree, but I feel strongly that both soluble and insoluble fiber, which is what flaxseed meal is mostly made of, are very beneficial while low carbing. Atkins even says you can have it for "regularity" issues.

I see no reason to limit or postpone it since you are past induction. Some people seem to feel that the whole "sort of like a grain" thing is too good to be true, but I think it's wonderful.

Try the flax muffins. Amazing. I have some for breakfast many mornings. There are a zillion variations, it's very forgiving, but basically it's 1/4 cup flax meal, 1/4 t baking powder, 1/4 t salt, sweetener and flavoring (can be Davinci or Torani sugar free syrup, can be extract plus sweetener, can be cocoa powder plus sweetener), a bit of fat (butter, oil, or coconut oil) and possibly a bit more water if you didn't use the sugar free syrup. Whisk it all up and microwave it for about four minutes. I put it in three of the hollows of a silicone muffin pan.

I love chocolate and pineapple especially, but there are many great flavors. Some people add cinnamon.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 03:42 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: momof9
Stats: 274.6/220/150
WOE: atkins
Start Date: 2/2009
in his book he states for induction that flax seeds or meal can be used daily to keep you regular. i think he states up to 1/4 cup (4 tbs) so i think you are ok in your dinner. i use to eat a mim every morning and i still lost very well, give it a try and see how it goes its a learning thing.
momof9 is offline   Reply With Quote