LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2010, 11:14 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: doxielove
Stats: 177.8/139.4/120
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: Restart: 07.08.13
lactose free protein shake?

I am ridiculously lactose intolerant. I really want the option of a (preferably ready to drink but if not I can deal) protein shake for breakfast, since I'm not at my most organized in the morning. Does anyone know of such a thing? What about mixing Jay Robb egg powder with Almond breeze? I've never tried either of those but I've heard about them.. I can't do whey or casein, either. TIA!
doxielove is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-2010, 11:59 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lilly29
I make just the thing each morning.

1 packet Jay Robb egg protein powder (I've tried chocolate and vanilla and like both!)
1 cup So Delicious brand coconut milk beverage
2-3 raw egg yolks

If you're not down with the eggs, skip 'em, but they add a wonderful creamy texture to the shake and make me stay fuller much longer!
lilly29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 12:24 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: MarcyDarcy
Stats: 195/180/173 goal: 135 or maybe lower
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: November 2009
I'm ridiculously lactose intolerant too, but a little heavy whipping cream (HWC) doesn’t bother me. Yesterday was the first time I’ve made a shake or egg cream and I loved it and had no problems with it:

Mocha Egg Cream

1/2 cup water
2 T. cream
1 scoop unflavored protein powder (my brand is NOW unflavored from netrition)
6 ice cubes
2 eggs
5 drops concentrated liquid splenda (sounds like too much, but it was good)
1/4 cup very strong fresh coffee

Mix in a blender.
348 cal. 37.6g protein 1.8g carbs 20.2g fat

-I have waited a while to try egg creams because I was squeamish about the raw eggs. I can tell you that after blending this for a minute or so, you CANNOT tell there’s egg in it.

-You could certainly use even less HWC or use something like almond milk, etc.

-There's a zilliondy-two different ways to make these.

Good luck!
Old 02-28-2010, 12:45 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nolcjunk
Stats: Whole foods lc, 110, 5'6
WOE: Atkins - it's a diet
You can always mix the Jay Robb into a cup of coffee- that's what I do and think it tastes great.
nolcjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 01:44 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LinearChaos
Almond breeze!

I'd go with almond breeze or coconut milk with an egg or soy based protein powder.
LinearChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 07:58 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JoJoBean
Stats: 142(121)/110/104
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: May 2002 Restart Feb 2010
My BF is also lactose intolerant and we buy American Sports Nutrition brand Whey protein. We have the chocolate and vanilla and they are both so good. They are a little higher in carbs than some of the other brands, 6 carbs per scoop, but you only need one scoop per shake. They are so rich and creamy you can just mix it with ice and water. I have never had a shake that was so creamy and made with just the powder and water.
JoJoBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 03:24 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: IzzyTheTerrible
Stats: 290/269/150
WOE: Listening to my body
Start Date: Every day is a new day. :)
Psst! (I swear I'm going to tell the world) I was ridiculously lactose intollerant as well until I began starting my day with greek yogurt every day (well 5 days a week)! Maybe rather than avoiding it you could make your digestive system happier like mine became. Took a while but now I can actually drink a glass of milk! (Of course only on a day when I ate yogurt that morning or the morning before).
IzzyTheTerrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 03:40 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Lisa46
Stats: 164/117/128 -- 5'4"
WOE: LC with balance
Start Date: Recommitted 4-18-06
Quote:
Originally Posted by IzzyTheTerrible View Post
Psst! (I swear I'm going to tell the world) I was ridiculously lactose intollerant as well until I began starting my day with greek yogurt every day (well 5 days a week)! Maybe rather than avoiding it you could make your digestive system happier like mine became. Took a while but now I can actually drink a glass of milk! (Of course only on a day when I ate yogurt that morning or the morning before).
Izzy! No kidding? This is really interesting, I, too am very lactose intolerant and would love to find a simple way to combat it. I love greek yogurt but it stalls me. I may have to revisit it now that I am close to maintenance. Thanks for this tip!
Lisa46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 03:51 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: IzzyTheTerrible
Stats: 290/269/150
WOE: Listening to my body
Start Date: Every day is a new day. :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa46 View Post
Izzy! No kidding? This is really interesting, I, too am very lactose intolerant and would love to find a simple way to combat it. I love greek yogurt but it stalls me. I may have to revisit it now that I am close to maintenance. Thanks for this tip!
My weight loss is slow but I really don't care, I do mod carb anyway. It keeps me from having to worry that something has dairy in it! Nooooo more IBS for me!
IzzyTheTerrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 06:30 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LinearChaos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoJoBean View Post
My BF is also lactose intolerant and we buy American Sports Nutrition brand Whey protein. We have the chocolate and vanilla and they are both so good. They are a little higher in carbs than some of the other brands, 6 carbs per scoop, but you only need one scoop per shake. They are so rich and creamy you can just mix it with ice and water. I have never had a shake that was so creamy and made with just the powder and water.
Is whey lactose free? Even though its made from milk? I've always just assumed it would effect those who are lactose intolerant.

I'm actually allergic to caseine and whey doesn't seem to bother me so I guess it could work for lactards too.
LinearChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 07:56 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yellobrix
Stats: 199/175/150
WOE: Tweaking & Discovering
Start Date: Over & Over... 'Til I Get It Right!
The Jay Robb egg protein is great - my kids have it every day for b'fast!

I make my shakes w/raw eggs, but you can use the egg protein powder instead - I like either teh unsweetened almond milk, or the So Delicious plain (not vanilla) coconut milk. The vanilla has added sugar. I add sweet'n low, cocoa powder, sometimes peanut butter or vanilla extract, and a few ice cubes because the ice really gives a nice mouth feel.

For super-smooth blending, I use a mason jar on a Oster blender. There are no ice chips remaining. If you use the big blender pitcher, it doesn't turn out as smooth.

If you can tolerate orange juice (too sugary for me, personally), you can make a pretty good version of a "dreamsicle" with ice cubes, coconut milk, vanilla egg protein, vanilla extract, and a couple of tablespoons of frozen OJ concentrate.
Yellobrix is offline   Reply With Quote