Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2010, 09:50 AM   #1

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
Carbs in Coconut Oil???

I got my first virgin coconut oil yesterday, organic, expeller pressed. My first reaction was, this stuff sure is sweet for 100% fat...

This morning I put some in my flax muffin. My blood sugar rose like I'd had more carbs than I believe I did for breakfast.

I'm intentionally not telling you the brand, because I don't want this to degenerate into a brand discussion. I want to know for the type you use, how sweet does it taste to you? And has anyone else noticed it affecting their blood sugar?

I take it that the majority of users (who of course don't test their blood sugar) believe it enhances weight loss, if anything, right?

I will try other brands, but I'm wondering if this stuff is as carb free as the label says.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-2010, 09:57 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nolcjunk
Stats: Whole foods lc, 110, 5'6
WOE: Atkins - it's a diet
It is just a pure fat so there aren't any carbs in it (unless it's some kinda weird and shady brand that has additives).

I love tropical traditions- the oil and the coconut cream concentrate. The oil doesn't taste sweet to me but the cream does(carbier).

I think many foods that don't have carbs can taste sweet, especially if you have a really pure diet and aren't eating sweets. I had a pastured chicken the other day that tasted positively sweet and I made it myself with just salt.
nolcjunk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 10:03 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: MarcyDarcy
Stats: 195/180/173 goal: 135 or maybe lower
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: November 2009
Interesting question, RavenRose. I just tasted a bit of my TT virgin coconut oil and it didn't taste sweet to me. Actually, the aftertaste was (of course) of coconut and maybe it was a tiny, tiny bit sweet. Could that just be the coconut's natural sweetness and not added sugar? I would suspect another ingredient in your dish for the rise in BS.
MarcyDarcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 10:05 AM   #4
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: icebear
Stats: 280/243/151 (5'5" tall) last ^D 7-15-10
WOE: Atkins' Returning after major life disruptions
Start Date: Feb 9,2010
coconut oil isn't heat rendered, right? like how you render fat for soap making...(boil it in water then cool and the fat solidifies at the top)... coconut has sugars in it naturally, but that would separate along with the watery parts even if it isn't heat rendered, right? unless its emulsified and then i think any emulsifier would have to be listed under the ingredients and you'd see it then...

seems weird. i have to admit that i am curious to the brand name cause i am about to buy a good bit of it and i don't want to find out i paid a good deal of money for something i can't eat.

i already have enough coconut oil that i can use for soap (it picked up some off flavors from being stored near perfumey stuff and so it was cheap)
Luke 7:47 Wherefore I say unto thee, Her sins, which are many, are forgiven; for she loved much: but to whom little is forgiven, [the same] loveth little.

5-24-10 Still going, the digital scale croaked (after 8 years of duty) so i have no idea how much progress i have made. Too busy to use ******, but according to family and wardrobe, i am slowly but steadily progressing toward my goal!

7-15-10. Got to use the scale in the building where hubby works, as of 2 weeks ago i weighed 248, Yay!
icebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 10:48 AM   #5

I know coconut is naturally sweet, but the natural sweetness is no doubt due to its natural sugars. I wasn't suggesting it had added sugars, simply that the extraction process might not remove all of the natural sugars.

I'm not intimately familiar with the "expeller pressed" process. Perhaps it makes it impossible the sugars stay in the fat, perhaps not. Does anyone know? The Wikipedia article on the subject sheds no light on the purity of the extracted material.

This was the Whole Foods brand, 365. The source is The Philippines. There is no other indication who makes this private label product, but it's probably one of the brands we are familiar with, right?

I just wonder about "unrefined." As I read more about the process, it sounds like the unrefined oils may not be quite as pure fat. Usually they are heated after extraction to drive out any lingering water. If water lingers, it would probably have traces of other stuff in it too, which would stay in the oil after the water was removed through heating.

That muffin recipe is something I make almost every day, so I am familiar with the other ingredients. I'm not that dumb, I HOPE.
Old 02-28-2010, 10:57 AM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: dartstar1
Stats: 273/256/160 starting again 1-26-12 @259 4-1-12 242
WOE: ATKINS 72 <8
Start Date: 10/12/2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by nolcjunk View Post
It is just a pure fat so there aren't any carbs in it (unless it's some kinda weird and shady brand that has additives).

I love tropical traditions- the oil and the coconut cream concentrate. The oil doesn't taste sweet to me but the cream does(carbier).

What I use
dartstar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 12:15 PM   #7
krb
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: krb
Stats: (313 all time high)255/ 226/ 170 I'm 5'10" & 32 yo
Start Date: this time 12-28-09
hmmm, now i am curious to see if the same thing happens to me. but i use the vitamin shoppe brand. and it doesn't taste sweet imho.
krb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 12:43 PM   #8
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Looweewoo
Stats: 420/275/220 - 6'2"
WOE: Carnivore/T2 Diabetic
Start Date: Restart@350 09/17/09 The best is yet to come!
Lots of things taste sweet to me that didn't before, I make coconut bark candy with no sweetener. But it's not carbs, it's my tongue.

If your blood sugar rises, it can easily be because of a pavlovian response. Maybe it was something else, but it might just be your brain playing volleyball with your body.
Looweewoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 01:02 PM   #9
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: teri f
Stats: 203/127/125
WOE: High fat VLC
Start Date: Original start: January 3, 2001. Restart 6/18/2007
I've used nutiva extra virgin coconut oil for almost 3 years now. It doesn't taste sweet and doesn't have carbs. Hope you figure out what's going on Ravenrose.
teri f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 03:42 PM   #10

Thanks everyone.

I understand what you are saying Louis, but I my blood sugar is so predictable I don't think that happens much to me. I might be getting sick. That's the other time blood sugar goes up without apparent reason.
Old 02-28-2010, 04:05 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: harleychic
Stats: 174 (hw) 160/150/135 5'4
WOE: Atkins 72, clean eating no frankenfoods
Start Date: 5/3/08, re-start after baby #3 born on 3/22/11
I'm with Teri on that one. What are the ingredients ravenrose
harleychic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 04:08 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JazzleBug
Stats: 235.7 | 216.8 | 135 @ 5'6"
WOE: HCG/Primal Blueprint/Leptin Reset
Start Date: 4/6/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by teri f View Post
I've used nutiva extra virgin coconut oil for almost 3 years now. It doesn't taste sweet and doesn't have carbs. Hope you figure out what's going on Ravenrose.
This. ^^^^

I, too, hope you get to the bottom of this!
JazzleBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 04:41 PM   #13

It's coconut oil! That's what the ingredients are. Otherwise it would be something else, right?
Old 02-28-2010, 04:56 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: harleychic
Stats: 174 (hw) 160/150/135 5'4
WOE: Atkins 72, clean eating no frankenfoods
Start Date: 5/3/08, re-start after baby #3 born on 3/22/11
lol Just checking. I love my coconut oil, I hope you can figure it out. You know your stuff so I am sure you will.
harleychic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 05:09 PM   #15
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: teri f
Stats: 203/127/125
WOE: High fat VLC
Start Date: Original start: January 3, 2001. Restart 6/18/2007
I hope you aren't getting sick! Take care.
teri f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 06:26 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ga_kimmie
Stats: 181/146/120
WOE: Primal Blueprint
Start Date: August 12, 2009
Shouldn't have any carbs in it. Unfortunately, I gained 4 lbs in the two weeks that I added 3 tbsp of EVCO daily. I've stopped my intake and I'll have to approach it again some other time to see if I get the same results. I did sub it for butter and other calories so it wasn't all net-add calories
ga_kimmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 06:43 PM   #17
krb
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: krb
Stats: (313 all time high)255/ 226/ 170 I'm 5'10" & 32 yo
Start Date: this time 12-28-09
all of these posts just go to show that we are all different, and what works for one of us has to be tweaked for someone else!
krb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 08:39 PM   #18

How true. I shudder to hear the weight gain stuff! I have suddenly regained almost my whole Feb. loss, and it's held that way for three days. That was before the CO was added, so that would just add insult to injury. I know it will come off again, but it's still alarming!
Old 03-01-2010, 02:21 AM   #19
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: edterry
Carbs in coconut oil

I use Wilderness Family Naturals brand coconut oil. I always melt it first when adding it to my mixed eggs I use to make omelettes and I notice nothing but clear oil. If mine had any added sugar, the sugar would float to the top since oil and sugar do not dissolve in each other.

If you have a friend with a glucose meter, an interesting experiment would be to take measurements of your blood sugar an hour and two hours after you eat a couple of tablespoons of nothing but coconut oil.

Some of the fatty acids that coconut oil is comprised of are short- and medium-chain fatty acids and are absorbed directly from the small intestine, unlike the longer-chain fatty acids which do not hit the blood stream for a couple of hours. However, those short- and medium-chain fatty acids should not significantly affect blood sugar, at least theoretically.
edterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 04:54 AM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tecnokitty
Stats: 222/125/150 After Baby/Now:241/145/150
WOE: Atkins 72, I'm 5'7", 36 years old
Start Date: Restarted 6/22/07. In a size 4-6 jeans now!
Quote:
I've used 3 different brands including the one listed above and none of them had any sweetness to them at all. I've never tried the whole foods brand but I would suggest trying a different brand.
Tecnokitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 03:49 PM   #21
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: verbqueen
Stats: 224/163
WOE: LC/HF, for now
So yesterday, recalling the discussion in this thread, I decided to look at my current jar of coconut oil.

(Note: I usually use Nutiva, but saw a new brand at the Middle Eastern grocery in my neighborhood and decided to try it.)

The brand is Ultimate Superfoods Organic Raw Virgin Coconut Oil. When I looked at the nutrition label--something I obviously did not do when I bought it--I NEARLY PASSED OUT! Here's what it says:

Serving size - 1 T.
Calories - 70
Calories from fat - 20 (ah, there's a warning of what is to come...)
Total Fat - 12.5 g. (and it goes on to list all the individual saturated fats, plus mono and unsaturated)

and now for the clincher:

TOTAL CARBOHYDRATE - 11 GRAMS

At the bottom, below the nutrition info, it says
Ingredients: 100% Raw Organic Coconut Oil

So, i had been adding 11 to 22, or more, grams of carbs to my diet every day for at least two weeks now. I am simply flummoxed. Amazingly, I haven't gained any weight, but man, what a shock!

So check your label!! The mysteries of coconut oil are far more complex than this girl had realized!

My (old) HCG Journal

My NEW Journal
verbqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 03:56 PM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

that seems shady- why only 70 calories? It should be 120 per tablespoon./ They must be adding something to account for the carbs and the lower fat.
Old 03-02-2010, 04:00 PM   #23
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: daisyHair
Stats: 257/228/140
WOE: Medi Weightloss
Start Date: 5' 4" 50 Years Old
Quote:
Originally Posted by verbqueen View Post
So yesterday, recalling the discussion in this thread, I decided to look at my current jar of coconut oil.

(Note: I usually use Nutiva, but saw a new brand at the Middle Eastern grocery in my neighborhood and decided to try it.)

The brand is Ultimate Superfoods Organic Raw Virgin Coconut Oil. When I looked at the nutrition label--something I obviously did not do when I bought it--I NEARLY PASSED OUT! Here's what it says:

Serving size - 1 T.
Calories - 70
Total Fat - 12.5 g. (and it goes on to list all the individual saturated fats, plus mono and unsaturated)

and now for the clincher:

TOTAL CARBOHYDRATE - 11 GRAMS

At the bottom, below the nutrition info, it says
Ingredients: 100% Raw Organic Coconut Oil

So, i had been adding 11 to 22, or more, grams of carbs to my diet every day for at least two weeks now. I am simply flummoxed. Amazingly, I haven't gained any weight, but man, what a shock!

So check your label!! The mysteries of coconut oil are far more complex than this girl had realized!
To me that sounds like what we call Coconut cream.. maybe other countries call it Coconut oil?

Did it list any fiber?

ETA..
That label does not even add up.. if it is 12.5 grams of fat that equals 112 calories.. strange.

Last edited by daisyHair; 03-02-2010 at 04:03 PM..
daisyHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 04:06 PM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

that would make more sense but even for cream it is still insanely carby. My TT brand cream concentrate is 1 per teaspoon, so 3 per tablespoon. And, 90 cals per tablespoon.

It seems like their labeling info is off.
Old 03-02-2010, 04:31 PM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shapeup1
WOE: Lots of protein
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenrose View Post
I got my first virgin coconut oil yesterday, organic, expeller pressed. My first reaction was, this stuff sure is sweet for 100% fat...

This morning I put some in my flax muffin. My blood sugar rose like I'd had more carbs than I believe I did for breakfast.

I'm intentionally not telling you the brand, because I don't want this to degenerate into a brand discussion. I want to know for the type you use, how sweet does it taste to you? And has anyone else noticed it affecting their blood sugar?

I take it that the majority of users (who of course don't test their blood sugar) believe it enhances weight loss, if anything, right?

I will try other brands, but I'm wondering if this stuff is as carb free as the label says.
Well , after reading the article that I posted, I believe everything is possible.
Lawsuit claims Omega-3 supplements contain industrial chemicals - Healthzone.ca
shapeup1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 06:36 PM   #26
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: verbqueen
Stats: 224/163
WOE: LC/HF, for now
Yep, the label is a real mystery. Oh, and the product is made in California, so it's not an import.

And if only 20 of those 70 calories are fat, what nutrient could possibly make up the other 50 calories? It says it has zero grams of carbs from sugar, and zero grams from fiber.

I'm thinking that because it is raw, it must have some actually coconut meat or milk in it. But wouldn't that mean there'd be some fiber?

Quite the mystery, but I feel like a real moron for eating something daily for two weeks without looking at the label.

Here is the product information about the product that I bought, taken from that company's website:

"Ultimate Superfoods Raw Centrifuge Coconut Oil

Ultimate SuperFoods Raw Centrifuge Coconut Oil is organic and extracted by centrifuge creating the purest oil available anywhere. Coconut Oil is a colorless to pale brownish yellow oil that has a melting point ranging from 73°F to 78°F. It has been described as the "Healthiest Oil on Earth." Coconut oil is composed mainly of medium-chain-fatty-acids (MCFA) with 86.5% saturated fatty acids, 5.8% monounsaturated fatty acids, and 1.8% polyunsaturated fatty acids. It is the world's ONLY low-calorie fat! Of the saturated fatty acids, coconut oil is primarily 44.6% lauric acid, 16.8% myristic acid, and 8.2% palmitic acid. In comparison to most oils, coconut oil has a long shelf life of up to three years, which is due to its natural ability to not be affected by fluctuating temperature and oxidation. Among the most stable of all oils, coconut oil is slow to oxidize and thus resistant to rancidity.

Ultimate Superfoods Raw Centrifuge Virgin Coconut Oil comes from fresh coconuts that do not undergo a refining process. Most virgin coconut oils on the market go through one of two processes to extract the oil from the coconut. Ultimate Superfoods Raw Centrifuge Virgin Coconut Oil is unique from other virgin coconut oils because it does not go through either the “quick drying” or “wet-milling” processes. Instead, we use centrifugal extraction to derive the oil from the coconut. This method of extraction requires no heat at all and produces oil that is absolutely amazing!

Since our coconut supplier owns the USDA Certified Organic coconut plantation, we are able to provide coconuts that are harvested at the perfect age. The coconuts are delivered on the same day to the processing plant, which is located inside the coconut plantation. The coconuts are then de-husked and grated, and the fresh coconut meat is cold-pressed and filtered. This process preserves the live enzymes, lauric acid, and all the other immune system building nutrients. Except for picking and opening the nut, there is little human handling in our process. Stainless steel mechanical equipment is used in order to provide a sanitary controlled environment in the processing plant. The coconut oil is strained and immediately bottled. No chemicals or preservatives are added. You only get pure unadulterated Virgin Coconut Oil.
Ultimate Superfoods Coconut Oil is organic and extracted by centrifuge creating the purest oil available anywhere.
It is composed mainly of medium-chain-fatty-acids (MCFA) with 86.5% saturated fatty acids, 5.8% monounsaturated fatty acids, and 1.8% polyunsaturated fatty acids.
Composed primarily 44.6% lauric acid, which is used by the body to make disease-fighting fatty acids.
Coconut oil is slow to oxidize, and thus resistant to rancidity.
Uses: For cooking, in place of any oils; for baking and making smoothies; in the shower as a shaving gel and a deep conditioner for your hair; after showers as a lotion."

Anyway, I repeat, read your labels carefully if you are using coconut oil!

Last edited by verbqueen; 03-02-2010 at 06:42 PM..
verbqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 06:50 PM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JazzleBug
Stats: 235.7 | 216.8 | 135 @ 5'6"
WOE: HCG/Primal Blueprint/Leptin Reset
Start Date: 4/6/12
Man, Verb! Quite a lesson in checking the labels (and actually paying attention to them) - thank you for the reminder.
JazzleBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 09:49 PM   #28
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: LC..My "Don't Have To Think Because It's Simple"!
Quote:
Now here is something very weird about this brand you use. I went to a site that sells it and when I scrolled down to read the nutritional counts on this; calories, fat, carbs, etc. it said 14 carbs! They happened to have a live chat and I went on there, 2 different times with 2 different customer service people, to find out why this product has carbs when coconut oil does not have carbs.

The answer I got both times.....must be a typo! Needless to say I didn't buy this product from that site, but from our good friends at Netrition. They would at least have had an answer for me!!

A man asked Gautama Buddha, "I want happiness." Buddha said, "First remove "I," that's Ego, then remove "want," that's Desire. See now you are left with only "Happiness.”
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 07:31 PM   #29

From verbqueen: The brand is Ultimate Superfoods Organic Raw Virgin Coconut Oil. When I looked at the nutrition label--something I obviously did not do when I bought it--I NEARLY PASSED OUT! Here's what it says:

Serving size - 1 T.
Calories - 70

That is a totally whacked nutrition analysis, as you say. If it acts like pure oil, it probably is. I have a very hard time believing the carb count, and an even harder time believing the calorie count! The only way it could be that low is to have a bunch of water in it, right? To dilute the calories.
Old 03-06-2010, 10:21 PM   #30
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Minnas
Stats: 28/8-10/8-10
WOE: Lost VLC/Now LC/Lower calorie through lower fat
Go here and look at the nutrition label posted. THIS one looks right. Exactly what it should be.

Raw Coconut Oil
Minnas is offline   Reply With Quote