LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2010, 07:07 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: aunkster
Stats: 317/187/220
WOE: RNY 12-15-03..now low carb for life
Start Date: 1/1/10
drive thru's

ok heres a question,when going through a drive through how does one get something to eat while there on the road..Ive been normally going through drive thru's getting burgers with no no ketchup or grilled chicken sandwiches no bun then pulling over and eating them.

Im always paired up with a partner on my job and sometimes I have to drive..Any suggestions?

Allan
aunkster is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-2010, 07:29 AM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: suzanneyea
Stats: 156/124/120
WOE: Vlc
My life is not busy enough to have to eat in the car, lol.
suzanneyea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 07:33 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Steelslady
Stats: 292/283/180
WOE: CAD/CALP
Start Date: August 10, 2010 restart May 6, 2012
Most drive thru restaurants will cater to you as well as restaurants that you sit down to eat in. For instance if you go through a drive through that has roast beef sandwiches- just ask them to hold the bun and add regular mayo and mustard to one of the servings on an extra large roast beef sandwich.

Of course we all know salads are available at most fast food restaurants as well and one could order that with a full fat dressing hold the croutons.

Lots of places have grilled fish or seafood that you can order without breading and ask for a salad on the side.

Subway was good to me one afternoon when I asked for just the tunafish on lettuce with tomato and cukes with extra regular mayonaise added on no bun. Of course you will still have to pay the price for a sub but they did let me have just tuna and veggies. You could probably ask them to make a steak and cheese no bun as well with some veggies on the side. Not sure how other Subways are but they were very accommodating to me and I'm sure other places of the like will do the same. They save money on not giving you the bread. If they don't accommodate you just order what you want and discard the bread when you get it.

Do you eat on the road or could you stop and eat at a restaurant? We sometimes go to buffets and I get the salad items and low carb veggies with just meats. Ask the waiter/waitresses what's on the meats just to be sure there aren't any added sugary sauces or marinades on the meats. A lot of the buffets also have seafood and fish items. You can also get take out at the buffets if you have to eat on the road.

Hope this helps and good luck!
Steelslady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 07:38 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: aunkster
Stats: 317/187/220
WOE: RNY 12-15-03..now low carb for life
Start Date: 1/1/10
thanks allot of good ideas,the big problem with dive thru's are trying to eat without a bun on the run..lol
aunkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 07:50 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Steelslady
Stats: 292/283/180
WOE: CAD/CALP
Start Date: August 10, 2010 restart May 6, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by aunkster View Post
thanks allot of good ideas,the big problem with dive thru's are trying to eat without a bun on the run..lol
Keep a head of lettuce in the truck and wrap the goods inside the leafs.
Steelslady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 09:15 AM   #6
Do you know your CCLL?

Gallery: 2bflawless
Lately, I have been going to McDonald's and ordering 2 double cheeseburger and just tossing the bun. $2 bucks later I am stuffed for hours!
2bflawless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 10:40 AM   #7

Gallery: fawn
I generally stop at a grocery store when on the road. It provides me higher quality food choices.

When I first began, I would always just order the burger in a container (usually hot burger on foam which freaks me out now) and use mayo packets but even those now are filled with HFCS.

I just find it so much safer and healthier to run into the grocery store and get 2-4 snack type items or cream cheese with some lunch meat, etc.

I personally believe that fast food is junk food no matter how you slice it
fawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 10:48 AM   #8
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Speck333
WOE: Semi-Primal
Carl's Jr./Hardee's has the Low-Carb Six Dollar Burger that's wrapped in lettuce (even if it's not on the posted menu), and I've heard you can order a Double Double wrapped in lettuce at In and Out (very popular here in CA, don't know if they are any where else). Also, El Pollo Loco is a good choice -- I get the three piece leg and thigh with my two sides as steamed veg. and their little loco salad (even their cole slaw is not too bad carb wise). If you're not driving, salads are a good choice, but watch out for the dressings. I ordered a grilled chicken salad from McDonald's once and the "low fat ranch" dressing it came with had 21 carbs per serving and there were 2 servings in the pouch!!!!
Speck333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 06:41 PM   #9
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Carl's Jr. will make ANY sandwich wrapped in lettuce - just ask for it "low carb style" (Fawn, it's in a cardboard box! )

In 'n Out - ask for a double double, animal style, protein style. You'll get 2 beef patties, 2 cheese, grilled onions, no ketchup, wrapped in lettuce (and no foam container there either.... )

Wendy's, if you ask for any burger with no bun, they'll put it in a plastic (sorry Fawn) container and give you a knife and fork. I think Burger King does the same.
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 06:59 PM   #10
Amish Wit

Gallery: wcwendy
Stats: 214.5/155/138
WOE: Whole 30
Start Date: Atkins 10-08;'72 10-09 204-178; Whole 30 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by fawn View Post
I generally stop at a grocery store when on the road. It provides me higher quality food choices.

When I first began, I would always just order the burger in a container (usually hot burger on foam which freaks me out now) and use mayo packets but even those now are filled with HFCS.

I just find it so much safer and healthier to run into the grocery store and get 2-4 snack type items or cream cheese with some lunch meat, etc.

I personally believe that fast food is junk food no matter how you slice it
Ditto.
wcwendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 07:03 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JustCallMeAmy
Stats: 267/103/105
WOE: doing it my way :)
Start Date: Jan. 6th/09
my dh works on the road and does 12 hr shifts. he also low carbs. to save money and to eat healthier, he packs a cooler of food and brings it to work. his job is VERY busy and sometimes doesn't find the time to always pull over to eat either so he brings a lot of things such as finger foods (nuts, cut up veggies, chopped up ham or kolbossa, cut up cheese, atkins shakes, etc) to eat on the run.
JustCallMeAmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 07:19 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kbeth
Stats: 5'4" 43yo 161/148/125
WOE: Paleo-esque
Start Date: April 2002/Restart April 2012
Whatever burger or grilled chicken I get, I toss the bun in the bag and just leave the meat in the sandwich wrapper so that I don't get grease everywhere.
kbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 08:52 PM   #13

Gallery: fawn
Quote:
Originally Posted by soon2bskinny View Post
my dh works on the road and does 12 hr shifts. he also low carbs. to save money and to eat healthier, he packs a cooler of food and brings it to work. his job is VERY busy and sometimes doesn't find the time to always pull over to eat either so he brings a lot of things such as finger foods (nuts, cut up veggies, chopped up ham or kolbossa, cut up cheese, atkins shakes, etc) to eat on the run.
fawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 09:00 PM   #14
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
Take a little cooler & you won't have to worry about the fast food places.
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 10:28 PM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Blondie Baby
Stats: 213/126/130
WOE: JUDDD with LC
Quote:
Originally Posted by soon2bskinny View Post
Yep. And I got this idea from our local Coop - they sell little boxes of chopped up meat from the deli. I don't care for deli meat so much, so I make my own with leftovers at home - little cubes of steak, grilled chicken, lamb chops and sometimes I throw in some cubes of cheese. Makes really nice, LC, healthy snacks for the family!
Blondie Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 03:34 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rotten
If I need to eat while on the road I order a burger with the bun still on it. Then I tear away parts of the bun as I eat. That way I can still hold on to it. I guess it is a bit wastefull but you paid for it either way.
rotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 09:47 AM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: fireflyfaster
Stats: 234/150 5'9 BMI 22
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: 4/20/09 - Met Goal April 2010
I second the recommendations on Subway (ask for double meat on your salad for the extra buck ... you can pick two meats, such as tuna and salami, and they'll add avocado too for another sixty cents) and on Carl's/In'N'Out and the other burger joints.

El Pollo Loco has citrus marinated chicken which, according to their nutritional guide, is still 0 carb/thigh. I get the three piece combo with veggies and salad on the side, put a bit of the ranch dressing on the veggies and use their avocado salsa as salad dressing.

KFC has grilled chicken which, while high in sodium, is low in carbs. Their side salad is meh.

Stay away from the big name taco joints -- lots of grain filler in their meat.

If you're riding shotgun, have your partner pull up at the grocery store, then go get one of those rotisserie chickens from the deli/ready to eat section of the store and pay at the express line or scan it yourself aisle. Just as quick as a drive through, twice the food and half the price. I do that probably twice a month lately. Sometimes they have hot wings behind the counter ... mmmmm.

Losing/lost your last 10 or 10%? Join us in the Maintain Lane
fireflyfaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 09:50 AM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ljguitar
Stats: 350++/under 240/wherever 30 net carbs a day leads
WOE: 30 net carbs a day or less...unclean eating
Start Date: August 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotten View Post
If I need to eat while on the road I order a burger with the bun still on it. Then I tear away parts of the bun as I eat. That way I can still hold on to it. I guess it is a bit wastefull but you paid for it either way.
Hi r…
Yeah...when I order three doubles then I pile all 6 patties on half of a bun and use it as an anchor in the back, and just peel it back as I go (along with a paper wrapper if they provide one or a napkin if not)...

ljguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 10:55 AM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: twilight
Stats: 225/186.5/130
WOE: VLC/Atkins
KFC let me get grilled chicken w/o sides. They have hot chicken wings now too.
twilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 11:44 AM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BaileysGirl
Stats: 222/190.5/175
WOE: Juddd
Start Date: Jan 12 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bflawless View Post
Lately, I have been going to McDonald's and ordering 2 double cheeseburger and just tossing the bun. $2 bucks later I am stuffed for hours!
This brings back bad memories...funny story. I was doing Somersizing and you cannot eat protein and carbs together. I didn't like to cook then so I was eating out most of the time. It got so hard to find anything and I realized it's easier to cook on this WOE. I was getting really frustrated with this. So this one particular day, I went to McD's got 2 double cheeseburgers, drove to the park and sat there sadly tearing away the bread eating the meat and cried! I laugh at myself now!

Fortunately, I don't have to eat while driving but if I do, it's an apple. Last week I was so hungry on the way home I went to Wendy's and got a double stack tossed the bun, folded the meat in half and at it like a taco...

Natasha

BaileysGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 09:28 PM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: fireflyfaster
Stats: 234/150 5'9 BMI 22
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: 4/20/09 - Met Goal April 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by texastigerlily View Post
Oh, that just reminded me. At KFC, you have to order the "Fiery Wings" that cost more -- the regular-priced wings that sound like they should be the right ones (don't remember, think they were even called "Hot Wings") were BREADED!

You should have seen the stink-eye the manager gave me as she took back my overpriced box of wings, held it up high and let it PLOP into the garbage can before she took my $1.60 extra and made me the breadless ones.
fireflyfaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 10:05 PM   #22

Gallery: wifey
Stats: goal is size 10
My husband tried the new grilled hot wings from KFC and loved them!
wifey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 03:27 AM   #23
cj1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cj1
I think we are missing the op question. He can't drive and eat and his job dictates that sometimes during meal time he has to drive. That would be very hard to eat a burger without a bun. If you have notice that you will be driving on a particular day, then plan ahead and take unmessy finger foods. Take already peeled boiled eggs, macadamia nuts, cold meat wrapped around a smear of cream cheese or add a green onion to the mix. Make chicken ahead of time and cut it into strips. See if your partner will trade driving duties with you so that you have time to eat. I don't think too many people really enjoy eating and driving at the same time. It's not only messy but you shove the food in your mouth so darn fast that you don't taste it and then you just want to eat more.
cj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 03:57 AM   #24

Gallery: TaDa!
Stats: 236.5 /132.5/ 128-133 @5'3"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance (Vegetarian + Fish)
Start Date: 6/03 & Goal! 5/06
Quote:
Originally Posted by aunkster View Post
hey aunkster ... from your stats, I guess you are at goal or close - although I ate these even when I was trying to lose weight .. When I am eating out, I always grab a package of Joseph's lc pitas from the fridge and pop them in my purse. In your case, maybe buy a package, cut them all into halves and package them in plastic lunch bags.

I generally eat a whole pita a day -- with a half as a sandwich at any one meal. You could order your takeout as described by all the people above, ask for a fork, pull out your trusty pita and roll everything into it.

That's what I do when I end up at a sub and pizza shop -- and actually I don't even ask for mine bread-less as it's usually easier to just throw the bread out than explain to sub shops, lol!

just a thought!

Stats: 47 Years Old & 5'3" tall
Weight: 236.5 (43 bmi) / 132.5 / 128-133 (size 4/6 .. 23 bmi)

*Weekly Weigh-In 7/10/12

My Journal
Year One Weightloss and Chart
My Weightloss Story
TaDa! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 04:19 AM   #25
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: 24Fan
Stats: from 2004 to 2006 lost 118 lbs. Maintaining
WOE: Atkins, low carb maintaining
Start Date: 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by texastigerlily View Post
Hey I didn't know KFC has hot wings now. Good to know, thanks! speaking of KFC, when I first started LC'b ing and hadn't read the books :0 I ordered chicken strips from KFC and coleslaw a few times a week, thinking hey that's low carb. Then i wondered why i hadn't lost any weight in a week.

To OP, I do what others suggested also, bring a bunch of foods I can eat with one hand while driving if I'm in a rush. Nuts, meats w/ cream cheese, protein shakes also homemade work real well. Apple slices with peanut butter is a food you can eat while driving I found too LOL. Planning is the key. But if I haven't planned ahead, ya I order the bunless burgers but I have to pull over to eat'em with a fork.
24Fan is offline   Reply With Quote