Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2010, 05:36 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kattbelly
Anyone familiar with 180 degree health/metabolism info?

I have just found this web site, through Tom Naugton of "Fathead" fame, and was wondering if anyone was familiar with this concept. He discusses how to heal your metabolism and I find that interesting, but you have to buy his e-book for the details, and wondered if anyone here has bought it or knows something about it.

TIA
Kattbelly is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-2010, 05:40 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Minnas
Stats: 28/8-10/8-10
WOE: Lost VLC/Now LC/Lower calorie through lower fat
I think he is a marketing genius. Beyond that I would not listen to a word he has to say about anything really. Very entertaining though that is for certain.
Minnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 07:03 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Who are you speaking of Minnas? This isn't that "Diet secrets "they" won't tell you" guy. He's a crook. (Can't think of his name right now).
Old 02-11-2010, 07:04 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kattbelly View Post
Who are you speaking of Minnas? This isn't that "Diet secrets "they" won't tell you" guy. He's a crook. (Can't think of his name right now).
Oh yes I know exactly who you are talking about. I subscribe to his blog. He's a lot of hot air. IMO of course.
Old 02-11-2010, 07:05 PM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: teri f
Stats: 203/127/125
WOE: High fat VLC
Start Date: Original start: January 3, 2001. Restart 6/18/2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnas View Post
I think he is a marketing genius. Beyond that I would not listen to a word he has to say about anything really. Very entertaining though that is for certain.
Agree 100%
teri f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 07:17 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Thx, can you please explain to me why you feel he's full of hot air, and what he's about? I don't want to waste my time reading his stuff if it's full of baloney, but if it's helpful info, then I wanna know more.
Old 02-11-2010, 07:28 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

PaNu - P?Nu Blog - 180 + 180 =360
Old 02-11-2010, 07:50 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Honestly Minnas, I didn't really find that link helpful. I'm not trying to be contrary, but as someone not familiar with either protagonist, I don't find one of their words to be more valuable than the other. Do you dislike that 180 guy based on your own review of his site/info., or because you favor the paleo diet and assume that Kurt Harris must be right since you ascribe to his regimen?

TIA
Old 02-11-2010, 08:08 PM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kattbelly View Post
Honestly Minnas, I didn't really find that link helpful. I'm not trying to be contrary, but as someone not familiar with either protagonist, I don't find one of their words to be more valuable than the other. Do you dislike that 180 guy based on your own review of his site/info., or because you favor the paleo diet and assume that Kurt Harris must be right since you ascribe to his regimen?

TIA
I very much respect Dr. Harris, yes. I would put Dr. Harris's education, training, and reputation up against Matt Stone's any day of the week. I have been researching paleo principles for quite a while and have done a great deal of reading on Matt Stone and his 180 degree health principles and I end up with nothing good to say about them. I'm sure he's lovely but he is spewing nonsense. I would just encourage you to research him and his ideas and come to your own conclusions. You should stock you freezer with lots of ice cream and other sugary treats as that's what he prescribes to heal the body. He is anti-low carb and pro-high everything...calories, carbs, fat, you name it. If you feel that low carb has failed you or made you sick then perhaps Matt's program is a good fit for you. Like I said, he's a master marketer and he knows how to sell. Other than that I have nothing good to say so I'll leave it at that.

Last edited by Minnas; 02-11-2010 at 08:19 PM..
Old 02-11-2010, 11:20 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Thx for the clarification Minnas. Like I said, I just found his site thru Fat Head's site. You said you did research on him, may I ask where you got your info? I tried googleing him and really didn't see any auxilliary info, that's why I was curious about anyone else's experiences.

Although he may be a crackpot (or he may have new insights for all I know), I am interested in the concept of rehabilitating one's metabolism, which he discusses (cryptically lol) on his site, as well as hypothyroidism. I find the whole "pay for info" concept a little irritating, and have no interest in sending him any of my dough, but LCF always seems to have plenty of experience when I have a question, so I'm hoping to get a dialogue going.

I would really like some specifics on info, opinions, etc.

"The chief cause of unhappiness and failure is trading what we want most for what we want at the moment."

"Our perception gathers proof that our beliefs are right."
Old 02-12-2010, 02:08 AM   #11
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
If I can just jump in here as someone who is hypothyroid and has done some research on my condition. Minnas is correct; this 180 degree/metabolism information is totally erroneous.

First, any low calorie diet will lower metabolism--and low carb is NOT low calorie, but people wind up probably eating fewer calories than they are burning because that's the way one loses weight. However, research indicates that the effect of eating much less on a healthy person's metabolism is minor. That is, the metabolism will slow slightly but it returns to normal quickly when the weight loss is completed. Moreoever, it never slows enough to stall weight loss; the effect is very minor.

It's possible to stimulate metabolism--that's what ephedra was all about until it was banned, but the only healthy way to do that is with exercise, and that provides a limited stimulus. The notion that one 'heals' the metabolism suggests that it's some kind of illness, and it's not. A person's metabolism is part of his/her physiology and is less under external control than most people realize.

The idea that any eating plan will cause thyroid issues is nonsense. My own condition is Hashimoto's thyroiditis, which is an auto-immune disease that affects 7 of 10 women with thyroid problems. It is a disease--with a cause unrelated to any WOE. The only help for this condition is thyroid hormones which must be taken for life to supplement those which the thyroid is no longer producing. No eating plan or OTC supplements can 'cure' a diseased thyroid.

These marketers are targeting 'dieters' who believe that they have a faulty metabolism or thyroid issues that, once 'fixed,' will result in immediate and rapid weight loss. It's all a scam.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 09:57 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Thx for your insights Leo41, I appreciate it. I agree with most of what you said, esp. about thyroid disease. I KNOW it can't be cured by diet, but it certainly can be improved, as my whole life (diagnosed at 18, but had it since childhood) has been an experiment, and of course I too do tons of research.

I also agree that there is probably no "cure" for metabolic issues, but I feel that much like thyroid issues, you can certainly help your cause nutritionally. As an example from my own personal experiments, I have found that high-quality supplements have made a world of difference in my health and energy levels, which surely has some connection to my metabolism.

What I am really trying to research and understand more fully now, is the concept of Metabolic Disorder. Through my research, I feel pretty convinced that I have some sort of MD. The 180 sight tantalizes with some very interesting concepts and "teasers" but apparently you must pay for his e-books for the rest of the story. Well, I would never pay for something where the info. is hidden like that. It does reek of shysterism, but who knows, maybe he has some new insights, that's why I was hoping if anyone else had explored this they might share what they learned.
Old 05-28-2010, 04:24 PM   #13
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: livesimply
Stats: 162/158.4/130
WOE: Gluten Free Atkins
Start Date: restarted 3/5/11
Kattbelly, I don't know if you are still researching Matt Stone and 180 Degree Health, but a friend just sent me this link you might find helpful. I, too, read Dr. Kurt Harris' post "180 + 180 = 360" and was ready to totally dismiss M. Stone, but I'm reading thru the e-book to make my own decision. Here you go: http://www.180degreehealth.com/uploads/eBooks/Rrarf.pdf
livesimply is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 10:54 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Thx livesimply, I'll definitely check out your link!
Old 02-05-2011, 11:48 AM   #15
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: paleonu
'I would just encourage you to research him and his ideas and come to your own conclusions. You should stock you freezer with lots of ice cream and other sugary treats as that's what he prescribes to heal the body'

that's not what matt stone prescribes.. he says fructose and refined sugars aren't good..

i like kurt harris and the panu blog and idea.. but it doesn't mean his way is the only way.. or the best way.. or that he's always right.. even in that 180 - 180 = 360 post.. he said he thinks up to 40% carbs are ok.. some people on this site probably consider that a heresy of health..

"I KNOW it can't be cured by diet"

kattbelly.. how do you know that?
paleonu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 09:09 PM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jem51
Stats: oh so happy at 120
WOE: Mine, all mine
Start Date: controlled carb '97-98
Matt has not 'proven' anything.

The women following his plan can't seem to lose the weight from high everything. AND Matt has admitted on one of his interviews that he has not lost the fat he gained.

His idea that this will raise body temp is surely not proven by his followers since they are still using the armpit.
Yes there are studies that prove that sublingual is best (other that rectally, of course). If you are checking temp just make sure that the thermometer is under the tongue, in the pocket.

My own experience proved him wrong since my thyroid levels were low when I ate whole grain, vegetarian.
They've been good on LC.

Of course, you can give it a try and report back to us.....
jem51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 05:42 AM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

This thread was from a year ago, and I barely remember it. I did not pursue any of this, so I can't really comment on it further.