LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2010, 10:52 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mephy
Stats: 155/112/112
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: August 2002
Educated doctor's are hard to find

I had to find a new family doctor because of a change in my insurance. I went in for my appointment yesterday. It was just a routine yearly and an introduction. He asked the usual questions about allergies and family history. I told him that my father had adult onset T2 diabetes and suffered terribly from it. For everyone here, this is one of the reasons why I became so interested in Atkins and controlled-carb in general.

Anyhow, he told me that I was 50% sure to develop diabetes later in life. I told him that I exercise and avoid excess junk sugars and processed starch. I personally don't like to get into the whole low-carb thing with strangers, so I phrased it a bit differently. He said, "It doesn't matter how much sugar you eat, it's the calories." He then went on to emphasize how likely it was that I would develop diabetes no matter what since it runs in my family.

I'll be looking for a new doctor.
mephy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-2010, 10:56 AM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
What??? Look away..Dr's just "practice" medicine..
CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 11:02 AM   #3
kpk
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kpk
Stats: 204/204/150
WOE: LowCarb
Start Date: 5/1/2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by mephy View Post
I had to find a new family doctor because of a change in my insurance. I went in for my appointment yesterday. It was just a routine yearly and an introduction. He asked the usual questions about allergies and family history. I told him that my father had adult onset T2 diabetes and suffered terribly from it. For everyone here, this is one of the reasons why I became so interested in Atkins and controlled-carb in general.

Anyhow, he told me that I was 50% sure to develop diabetes later in life. I told him that I exercise and avoid excess junk sugars and processed starch. I personally don't like to get into the whole low-carb thing with strangers, so I phrased it a bit differently. He said, "It doesn't matter how much sugar you eat, it's the calories." He then went on to emphasize how likely it was that I would develop diabetes no matter what since it runs in my family.

I'll be looking for a new doctor.

Is your concern that he said "sugar doesn't matter" or that he emphasized you would develop diabetes?
kpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 11:19 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: poopsie2223
Stats: 5'-8" - 209/197/145
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Since 1998 restarted 08/08/11
Tell me about it. My brother is an internist and he has bought hook, line, and sinker in to the SAD Lite. Even though he struggles with his own weight, he is unwilling to even look at the evidence behind LC. I think he's afraid his peers will see him as a crackpot. Sad.
poopsie2223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 11:48 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpk View Post
Is your concern that he said "sugar doesn't matter" or that he emphasized you would develop diabetes?
Both.
Old 02-06-2010, 12:16 PM   #6
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
What appalls me is that even if it were true that you will eventually develop diabetes (and it isn't inevitable!), here's a doctor who has a patient who is exercising and eating healthily, and he discourages her by telling her that she'll just be sick anyway!

He sounds like a doctor who thinks that his only role is to cure (or provide meds for chronic) illnesses, so he has no interest unless you're sick.

I want a doctor who will support and encourage me in my healthy lifestyle.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 12:32 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
What appalls me is that even if it were true that you will eventually develop diabetes (and it isn't inevitable!), here's a doctor who has a patient who is exercising and eating healthily, and he discourages her by telling her that she'll just be sick anyway!

He sounds like a doctor who thinks that his only role is to cure (or provide meds for chronic) illnesses, so he has no interest unless you're sick.

I want a doctor who will support and encourage me in my healthy lifestyle.
Thanks. This is exactly the point I failed to make in my other posts.
Old 02-06-2010, 12:36 PM   #8

Gallery: fawn
Tell your Dr.

Genetics Loads the gun but lifestyle pulls the trigger!
fawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 01:16 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fawn View Post
Tell your Dr.

Genetics Loads the gun but lifestyle pulls the trigger!
So true. Genetics will predispose you to certain things, but it's not a sentence. The outcome almost always depends on how we choose to live... what steps we take before something happens.

I just find it odd that a doctor would be so concerned with treatment versus prevention. Also, his statement that "sugar doesn't matter" when it comes to the development of adult-onset diabetes is just ridiculous.
Old 02-06-2010, 01:22 PM   #10
Noah and Wyatt's Mommy

Gallery: Cryssi
Stats: 316.0/316.0/130
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 6/23/14
It can be hard to find good docs.

When we got our insurance a few years ago I was seeing my OB since I was pregnant and didn't need a 'regular' doctor just yet.

When it came time to find one, we had to just sort of close our eyes and pick one since we had no idea where to start.

We got lucky.

At my physical last month I told him that I was planning to start back on low carb since I understood it, was comfortable with it and had success in the past. He told me that very honestly he was normally a low calorie/low fat pusher but since my blood work was all normal and I was comfortable with low carb he was willing to stand behind my efforts on it. He said he just wants to see me get healthy and would rather I do something I know I will stick with and be happy and successful at rather than pushing low calorie/low fat on me and having me miserable and fail at it.

I him.

*~*A year from now you will wish that you started today.*~*

*~* A goal is a dream with a deadline. *~*

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Cryssi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 02:11 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JennyKitty
My doctor, the nutritionist at his practice, and a pharmacist all recommended low carb.
JennyKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 02:32 PM   #12
Do you know your CCLL?

Gallery: 2bflawless
I am so glad my doctor supports Atkins but I developed diabetes even though I eat VLC and had been for 3 years. I have a strong family history of diabetes and although I control my diabetes very well eating this way I could not prevent it. Maybe if I had eaten this way all of my life...maybe but no, I could not prevent it sadly. I hope you have better luck.
2bflawless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 02:44 PM   #13

Gallery: Houston Heather
Stats: 228/166/160 Waist: 42/31/31
WOE: Atkins 2002 Ongoing Weight Loss/pre maintenance
Start Date: Feb 26, 2008 (second and last time)
Mephy, I read your statistics, perhaps thinking you had a bit left to lose....

You weigh 112 pounds! And your doctor...

It's like a big flashing light "Yes, I am a moron". I know a lot more is at play than strictly weight, but every diabetic I've met on dialysis has told me they were at least 50 pounds overweight when diagnosed.

I have met a couple dozen by now. Blood pressure is also one that gets 'em.
Houston Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 03:03 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: pegpub
Stats: 292/186/170
WOE: Modified Protein Power (to control blood sugar)
Start Date: Oct 2008
Unfortunately doctors are not trained in nutrition (most have less than a week covering it in medical school). I would continue to look for a more educated and lc friendly physician.

Scott
pegpub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 04:03 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: micheleredit
Stats: 153/142/105
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: Day one recommitting back 9/21/14
Your doctor is a crack head LOL!!! Your 112 pounds and if your eating low carb your blood sugars should be great, your hormone levels should be amazing and you have no excess weight to slow down any kinda of insulin release. Hmmmmm turn the cheek and keep looking for another great doctor!!!
micheleredit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 04:32 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by micheleredit View Post
Your doctor is a crack head LOL!!! Your 112 pounds and if your eating low carb your blood sugars should be great, your hormone levels should be amazing and you have no excess weight to slow down any kinda of insulin release. Hmmmmm turn the cheek and keep looking for another great doctor!!!
You know. It's weird how you *know* all of this in your head, but when a figure of authority starts talking, suddenly you doubt what you've done for yourself and doubt what you know and see. That lasted all but 2 seconds for me and I just wanted to wrap his stethoscope around his head.
Old 02-06-2010, 04:38 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bodhi
Stats: 373/350/218 (6' 2")
WOE: low carb/high fat
It's the calories? Did he get his license from Sears?
Bodhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 07:47 PM   #18

Gallery: fawn
Quote:
Originally Posted by pegpub View Post
Unfortunately doctors are not trained in nutrition (most have less than a week covering it in medical school). I would continue to look for a more educated and lc friendly physician.

Scott
If that!
In conventional medicine, nutrition is an elective
A naturopath must spend a year in nutrition
fawn is offline   Reply With Quote