LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2010, 05:21 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: GennieF
Stats: restarting the restart
WOE: Atkins variation
Start Date: restarting yet again
Ketones = dying cells?

I saw an article yesterday about a cat who sensed when people were going to die, he's predicted over 50 deaths so far. Anyway, there was one part of the article that shocked me and suggested this is why the cat is able to sense deaths:

"In his book, "Making rounds with Oscar: the extraordinary gift of an ordinary cat", Dr Dosa offers no solid scientific explanation for Oscar's behaviour. He suggests Oscar is able - like dogs, which can reportedly smell cancer - to detect ketones, the distinctly-odoured biochemicals given off by dying cells. "

Does that mean those in ketosis are dying? I just thought this was a rather odd and (hopefully!) inaccurate description. I guess I've never read that dying cells give off ketones before. ??? Has anyone ever heard of this?

As a side note, I've talked to people that can "smell" death before a person dies (think I may be one), but don't think it is attributed to ketones.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-2010, 05:38 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: yorick
Stats: 5'8" 187/170/160
Start Date: May 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by GennieF View Post
As a side note, I've talked to people that can "smell" death before a person dies (think I may be one), but don't think it is attributed to ketones.
Very interesting. I don't have any input about the ketones, but I'll be following this thread to see what others have to say.

I take it that when you say that you might be able to "smell" death that you mean it pretty literally, versus "sensing" death?
yorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 05:52 AM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: dartstar1
Stats: 273/256/160 starting again 1-26-12 @259 4-1-12 242
WOE: ATKINS 72 <8
Start Date: 10/12/2009
I truley believe this
THere are differant stages of Ketosis
what we are doing is controlled , or shuld be. BUt when m,y father was dying
I could see from his urine output and his water intake that hisKidneys were "eating " themselves the organs were failing this was a 3 week ordeal so I truley believe this
But if your urine is never a nice yellow, START DRINKING more water
dartstar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 06:02 AM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: junkfoodmonkey
Stats: 213/193/140
WOE: Atkins - Induction
Start Date: Original Nov 2003 Current 17 Sep 2012
Ah, deathcat. I love deathcat.

Pah. It's nothing to do with ketones. That cat is quite obviously collecting souls. Question is, who for?
junkfoodmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 06:06 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: AngieCakes
Stats: 198/143/135-140
WOE: Atkins/Pre-Maintenance
Start Date: 1/8/2010
I read this article and I thought it was so interesting! I'm a firm believer that animals 'know' things. Maybe a 6th sense. My cat can sense when my alarm clock is going to go off in the morning because before it does he comes bouncing in my room and sits by my head. Then when it goes off he smacks me around until I get out of bed..

Last edited by AngieCakes; 02-03-2010 at 06:07 AM..
AngieCakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 06:37 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: yorick
Stats: 5'8" 187/170/160
Start Date: May 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngieCakes View Post
I read this article and I thought it was so interesting! I'm a firm believer that animals 'know' things. Maybe a 6th sense. My cat can sense when my alarm clock is going to go off in the morning because before it does he comes bouncing in my room and sits by my head. Then when it goes off he smacks me around until I get out of bed..
I agree, animals do seem to have a 6th sense. My mom always tells the story about how her cat was driving her crazy, pacing around the house meowing like a mad-cat, when she was hours from going into labor with me. Like the cat was saying, "Get to a hospital now". It was true, my birth was super fast, and she barely got to the hospital in time.

I love cats, and it seems like even the most stand-offish cats sense this and let me love on them a little.

I do like large dogs, but not small ones so much. It seems like the small dogs flock to me when I'm around them, like they sense I don't like them and are trying to get me to like them better. They don't realize that it just makes me like them less. Sorry, not to offend those that like small dogs - I'm just saying, they do seem to "sense" something.

Last edited by yorick; 02-03-2010 at 06:38 AM..
yorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 06:56 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LaurieKeren
Stats: 198.6/191.4/120
WOE: moderate low carb; healthy food choices
Start Date: 05/27/2014 (this time, haha)
Quote:
Originally Posted by yorick View Post
I agree, animals do seem to have a 6th sense. My mom always tells the story about how her cat was driving her crazy, pacing around the house meowing like a mad-cat, when she was hours from going into labor with me. Like the cat was saying, "Get to a hospital now". It was true, my birth was super fast, and she barely got to the hospital in time.

I love cats, and it seems like even the most stand-offish cats sense this and let me love on them a little.

I do like large dogs, but not small ones so much. It seems like the small dogs flock to me when I'm around them, like they sense I don't like them and are trying to get me to like them better. They don't realize that it just makes me like them less. Sorry, not to offend those that like small dogs - I'm just saying, they do seem to "sense" something.
I was reading somewhere the other day that looking a cat in the eye is an aggressive thing for them, like, they are ready to fight. So, if you are desperately trying to get a cats attention, they don't really want to go near you, but if you you are trying to ignore the cat, they are more likely to come up and sit on your lap.

Don't know about dogs, but my FIL hates all dogs, and I swear, it is like he wears a neon sign that only dogs can read that says "bite me". Our neighbor's dogs are so tame, they won't even chase our chickens when they get loose, but sure enough, my FIL was out walking and one of the dogs BIT him! I couldn't figure it out! He has been bitten so many times by dogs.

And, back to the original post, lol. There is certainly a strong smell if a Type 1 diabetic has ketoacidosis (which is fatal if not taken care of). But, I think not everyone can even smell that. When my son was in PICU and the whole room smelled strongly of ketoacidosis breath (he was just diagnosed w/Type 1), my husband couldn't smell it!

So, if humans do have a stronger ketone smell when they are dying, I wouldn't be surprised if a cat could smell it. Likewise, maybe some humans could even smell it too.

Last edited by LaurieKeren; 02-03-2010 at 06:57 AM..
LaurieKeren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 07:35 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Without getting gross, when I've smelled ketones on my own breath and others, it doesn't really smell like something dying. BUT (guess I should have clarified this earlier) I have never been around a dying person, only animals that have passed, so perhaps that could be why. As far as 6th sense goes in sensing if someone may die soon, I believe in that too, but I'm talking about the literal smell. Never thought it would have to do with ketones though!
GennieF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 07:37 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lancer1977
Stats: 297/More healthy/Very healthy
WOE: Atkins 72ish
Start Date: 9/23/2011
I imagine if your spewing ketones and your NOT on a low carb diet there is more then likely an issue here. Lets not forget that WE can sense Ketones, bad breath is one distinct sign.
lancer1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 07:39 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

What if someone working at the nursing home was on a low carb diet and the cat kept hanging around THEM? Guess that'd be one way to know for sure! Imagine what that poor person would think!
GennieF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 08:59 AM   #11
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: notsooldbroad
Stats: 315/225/175
WOE: Atkins '72 then VLC
Start Date: long, long ago
My dogs have really been trying to smell my breath here lately. I even met a little yorkie in a store one day who jumped on the back of a chair to get a closer sniff of my breath. I wasn't worried about it . . . until now, HA!
notsooldbroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 09:30 AM   #12

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
There are various reasons a body would give off keytones, and the low carb WOE reason is different from the dangerous diabetic reason or the "I'm dying"reason. Relax. *s*
ravenrose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 10:14 AM   #13
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: daisyHair
Stats: 257/228/140
WOE: Medi Weightloss
Start Date: 5' 4" 50 Years Old
Ya..
My fat cells are dying.
daisyHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 10:16 AM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: AngieCakes
Stats: 198/143/135-140
WOE: Atkins/Pre-Maintenance
Start Date: 1/8/2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by notsooldbroad View Post
My dogs have really been trying to smell my breath here lately. I even met a little yorkie in a store one day who jumped on the back of a chair to get a closer sniff of my breath. I wasn't worried about it . . . until now, HA!

Uh oh!!
AngieCakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 10:17 AM   #15
Allergic to Carbs- I break out in Fat!

Gallery: Diana
Stats: 176.5/138.8/134 (5'3")
WOE: The Original Atkins
Start Date: 8/11/03 Restart 4/08
Quote:
Originally Posted by daisyHair View Post
Ya..
My fat cells are dying.
Mine too!
Diana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 12:46 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blood Sugar 101
Stats: 1998-2009 170/142/145---2010 138/142/138
WOE: 80-100g per day. Metformin (no more prandin!)
Start Date: First LC diet 1998, goal 2003, continual vigilance
When people are dying they stop eating and their bodies go into a ketogenic state because they start cannibalizing muscle. The dying cells are the muscle cells being broken down and turned into glucose in the liver. Not the fat cells that provide the ketones.
Blood Sugar 101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 01:22 PM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tina1973
Stats: 294/284.2/1something
WOE: JUDDD 490/2450
Start Date: latest restart 10/1/13
I don't know what causes it, but a dying person DOES smell different. Specifically, their breath and skin. I used to work in a hospital and was with many patients who passed on and I could tell when it was "their time" usually within the day.
tina1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 01:57 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blood Sugar 101
Stats: 1998-2009 170/142/145---2010 138/142/138
WOE: 80-100g per day. Metformin (no more prandin!)
Start Date: First LC diet 1998, goal 2003, continual vigilance
Quote:
Originally Posted by tina1973 View Post
I don't know what causes it, but a dying person DOES smell different. Specifically, their breath and skin. I used to work in a hospital and was with many patients who passed on and I could tell when it was "their time" usually within the day.
This is the smell of organs breaking down, alas.

The whole thing with this cat, though. EEEEWWWW.
Blood Sugar 101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 08:03 AM   #19
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: babsie1952
People with different diseases smell different, cancer has a very distinct smell, it smells like death.
Diabetics have a very sweet smell to their breath or I can smell from skin.
Ketosis has a very distinct smell.
People who are bleeding from their GI tracts have a distinct smell of dried blood.
People with lung cancer or AIDS have a distinct smell of Aspergilla, a sweet smell.

My Dad has a Dog that will stare you straight in the eyes when you do not feel well, when you are in a group of people she will come up to you lie on your lap and stare at you.
My sister was going into a diabetic shock and she went up to her and sat on her and
stared at her like, YOU ARE SICK, DO SOMETHING.
My Dad was having a mini stroke, she did the same thing.
I was lying down and she went and lay on my right breast and that was the breast I had a tumor in.

I know that some animals have this ability and they use vials of different diseases to train animals to sniff them out on people.

One of my dogs does this with sensing peoples feelings, it is eerie to say the least.

BJ
babsie1952 is offline   Reply With Quote