Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2010, 08:39 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lora150
Stats: 242.8/217.2/150
Start Date: Sept 26, 2011
Struggling

I am struggling. I lost 125 pounds and kept it off for 5 years with weight watchers. Four surgeries, (one to take out my thyroid) and the end of my 21 year marraige, (didn't see that coming) I have regained 76 pounds. I have no desire to count points again, and be hungry all the time. But it seems like I can't stay with lc, I make it one day, and decide it won't work, so I jump back to ww, for a day, and decide it isn't what I want to do, because I am HUNGRY, so I jump back to lc. and the circle continues, and my weight just stays the same. I need some lc buddies. HELP!

Lora
Lora150 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-2010, 08:52 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: poopsie2223
Stats: 5'-8" - 209/197/145
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Since 1998 restarted 08/08/11
Lora, before I can offer advice on your situation I need to ask you a question. I understand why you are jumping from WW to LC, it is because you get hungry counting points. But you haven't explaiend why you jump from LC to WW. What is it?
poopsie2223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 09:08 AM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Ilpirata
Also what thyroid medications are you on and how much and what was your latest thyroid lab work? Please post test results and lab ranges. Please post Free T3 and Free T4 results.
Ilpirata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 09:15 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tina1973
Stats: 294/284.2/1something
WOE: JUDDD 490/2450
Start Date: latest restart 10/1/13
I understand what it's like to struggle and I came on here to post about that myself. I don't know anything about thyroid issues, but maybe it's something to do with that? Or maybe it's simply this emotional roller-coaster you're on, which is not so simple to deal with. Believe me, I know all about it.

But you can do this...
tina1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 09:22 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

The reason I jump from LC back to ww, is because ww is so much inside my head, I think it is not possible to eat like this and lose weight. You know? After doing ww for 6 years, I feel guilty when I eat lc and high fat.

I am on cytomel and synthroid. I have my labs done every three months. My endo is very good, and checks for my Free T3 & T4. I am at work so don't have the exact numbers, but I know my TSH is very low, not even in the range, (but who cares about TSH) and my FT4 is in the middle of the range and my FT3 is at the high end of the range. I actually feel better than I have in years. I had my thyroid removed close to two years ago, and I finally feel human again.

Alot of time I think I blame my thyroidectomy for my weight gain, but to be honest, I know that a lot of the time it is just an excuse.

Lora
Old 01-28-2010, 09:29 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Lora, a lot of us have a hard time believing this will work after so many years being indoctrinated into the low calorie/low fat paradigm. My suggestion to you is to get the Atkins book (I like the 1972 version and you can get it for a couple of dollars on Amazon, but the newer versions are good, too) and read it thoroughly to start getting your head around the fact that not only can this work, but HOW it works. Then I would just try a clean, no-expectations induction. Figure it's just an experiment to prove it WON'T work if that helps. Stay off your scale for the two full weeks. Then weigh.

I suspect your mindset on this WOE will change forever if you do that.
Old 01-28-2010, 09:48 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lora150 View Post
The reason I jump from LC back to ww, is because ww is so much inside my head, I think it is not possible to eat like this and lose weight. You know? After doing ww for 6 years, I feel guilty when I eat lc and high fat.

I am on cytomel and synthroid. I have my labs done every three months. My endo is very good, and checks for my Free T3 & T4. I am at work so don't have the exact numbers, but I know my TSH is very low, not even in the range, (but who cares about TSH) and my FT4 is in the middle of the range and my FT3 is at the high end of the range. I actually feel better than I have in years. I had my thyroid removed close to two years ago, and I finally feel human again.

Alot of time I think I blame my thyroidectomy for my weight gain, but to be honest, I know that a lot of the time it is just an excuse.

Lora
Okay Good Girl! Your ranges are right where they should be and I'm glad that you know where that is

Sounds like your blocks to LC are psycholigical. It can be *quite* difficult to overcome our almost ingrained low fat high carb WOE. Perhaps reading a few of the books (Protein Power and DANDR come to mind) will help you. Also check out our numerous success story threads with pics!

Here's a couple:

Let's see your before and after pictures!

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ce...re-please.html

O and check out BrookJay: GOAL!! I did it......again. LOL Pics..
Old 01-28-2010, 09:52 AM   #8

Gallery: kristina
Stats: Pant size 22W Petite
Start Date: July 17, 2014
Hunger is what always brings me back to low carb. I might not cycle through as quickly as you, but it has happned to me in the last few years. I am on low-carb to stay this time. I can NOT go back. I do attend weight watchers, and I think it might be good when I'm at goal weight as accountablity? I don't know what I think too much about it at this point. Speaking of which, I'm not even counting them. You can do this!
kristina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 09:55 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jamo
d

I think that it's psychological too. But I think that it has more to do with the break up of your marriage and life changes than anything else. You're under a LOT of stress I would think.

I agree with a previous poster.....give a FULL 2 weeks, no cheating, no changing your mind. Se where you're at then.

Good luck!
jamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 11:17 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

No doubt it is mind games. I reserved the book at the library. I will pick it up this afternoon, and read all of it, not just parts. I will try it for two weeks. I don't know if I can stay off the scale for two weeks, but I will give it a try.

Lora
Old 01-28-2010, 11:18 AM   #11

Good Luck! You can DO THIS. We are here to help you. These boards have been absolutely invaluable in my weight loss so post and read lots!
Old 01-28-2010, 11:25 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 2kids2cats
Stats: 288/279/150
Start Date: 7/2014
Give your scale to a neighbor or friend and tell them they under no circumstances will give it back to you for 2 weeks. Good luck!

Another good book, after you read Dr. Atkins book, is Barry Groves. I can't remember the title off hand. The book Good Calories, Bad Calories is awesome if you want to know the science behind why low carb is HEALTHIER than traditional low fat/high carb diets. But it's very technical. I only got about half way through before I gave up, but I plan on finishing it someday.

Hang in there, this DOES work!
2kids2cats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 11:30 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sanandlou
Stats: 309/214/175
Start Date: 01/20/09
I've been there!
You can also:
1. Plan all your meals out so you know what you're eating at every meal and snack. Whats to think about?
2. Post picks on yourself on the fridge or somewhere to remember where you are and where you want to go.
3. Realize that you are done being overweight and THIS IS THE YEAR you are going to change it.
4. Chart it, journal it, post here!
5. Look for LC recipes and start a recipe book.

I did numbers 1,3 and 5 and one year later I am a different person inside and out! Down 86 lbs and 5 sizes. I still cant believe it...
You can do this!!!
Old 01-28-2010, 11:35 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: InTheLight
Stats: 255/235/160 -- 5'7" tall
WOE: Low carb/cutting back
Start Date: Re-starting strong!! June 2014
I agree, you can so do this -- and by waiting to look at the scale, you see the actual true weight loss amount, rather than getting discouraged by the possible fluctuations that can happen when weighing each day. You have been through a lot; know that we are all here for you, let's take this weight loss journey together!!
InTheLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 11:47 AM   #15
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Lora-
I'm hypothyroid and also on synthroid (Levoxyl) and Cytomel, and any time I've seen any eating plan recommended for those with thyroid issues, it's always some form of low carb.

You might want to read the Eades' Protein Power book. It really is well presented and goes into the science behind low carb. I think it will convince you that this is a healthy way to eat, and one of the best ways to lose weight. I also prefer their eating plan to Atkins because I personally do better with simplicity--i.e., fewer restrictions.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 01:09 PM   #16
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: teri f
Stats: 203/127/125
WOE: High fat VLC
Start Date: Original start: January 3, 2001. Restart 6/18/2007
It is really hard to break that diet mentality. Especially if you have struggled with weight issues all your life. When I went off low carb and gained weight I hated it. I hated how I looked, and especially how bad I felt physically. Every single day I'd wake up and think, today is the day! I'm starting LC and sticking with it! And within a couple hours I was stuffing my face with crap. I kept having this thought in the back of my head, "I want to eat this one more time. I'll never get to have it again". I am convinced, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that thinking is caused by the physical addiction I have to sugar and carbs.

What I finally had to do was plan a clean induction and follow it to the letter. The first few days of carb withdrawl are just plain awful. You have to know that going in and be prepared. I just decided to pay attention to how I was feeling physically, eat when hungry from induction foods, eat when not hungry to feed my crazy brain, and get through it. It worked and once in ketosis and feeling better, it was, and is, easy to ignore all the junk food because I'm not starved and don't feel deprived. I can think rationally about food and see what all that processed stuff really is---poison!

All I can say to you is don't give up! If you really want good health and stop the run away weight gain, burn your WW books, find a LC bible and stick with it. You can do it!
Dr. William Castelli, a director of the Framingham Heart Study, (the longest running heart disease study), declared: "In Framingham, Mass, the more saturated fat one ate, the more cholesterol one ate, the more calories one ate, the lower the person's serum cholesterol...we found that the people who ate the most cholesterol,ate the most saturated fat, ate the most calories, weighed the least, and were the most physically active"
teri f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 01:11 PM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Gibby
Stats: 349.6/332.6/190
WOE: Whatever works
Start Date: 11/11/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by poopsie2223 View Post
Lora, a lot of us have a hard time believing this will work after so many years being indoctrinated into the low calorie/low fat paradigm. My suggestion to you is to get the Atkins book (I like the 1972 version and you can get it for a couple of dollars on Amazon, but the newer versions are good, too) and read it thoroughly to start getting your head around the fact that not only can this work, but HOW it works. Then I would just try a clean, no-expectations induction. Figure it's just an experiment to prove it WON'T work if that helps. Stay off your scale for the two full weeks. Then weigh.

I suspect your mindset on this WOE will change forever if you do that.

I agree 100% - good advice
Gibby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 01:19 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Leora99
Stats: 181/163/140
WOE: Atkins (tried before, fell off wagon, back again)
Start Date: 15Jan10
I'm hypothyroid and on synthroid too, I know all about gaining weight more easily than I did before I became hypothyroid. It IS hard!

Everyone gave such great advice - I don't have anything I can add except to say welcome and I wish you the best of luck and I am confident you will make it!
Leora99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 06:47 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teri f View Post
It is really hard to break that diet mentality. Especially if you have struggled with weight issues all your life. When I went off low carb and gained weight I hated it. I hated how I looked, and especially how bad I felt physically. Every single day I'd wake up and think, today is the day! I'm starting LC and sticking with it! And within a couple hours I was stuffing my face with crap. I kept having this thought in the back of my head, "I want to eat this one more time. I'll never get to have it again". I am convinced, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that thinking is caused by the physical addiction I have to sugar and carbs.

What I finally had to do was plan a clean induction and follow it to the letter. The first few days of carb withdrawl are just plain awful. You have to know that going in and be prepared. I just decided to pay attention to how I was feeling physically, eat when hungry from induction foods, eat when not hungry to feed my crazy brain, and get through it. It worked and once in ketosis and feeling better, it was, and is, easy to ignore all the junk food because I'm not starved and don't feel deprived. I can think rationally about food and see what all that processed stuff really is---poison!

All I can say to you is don't give up! If you really want good health and stop the run away weight gain, burn your WW books, find a LC bible and stick with it. You can do it!
This is me totally! I think I was in grade school when I started my first diet.

Today is day 1. I weighed myself, put the scale up, and I had scrambled eggs for breakfast. Going to the store, to pick up some lc foods. I am having people over for taco's tonight, so I am going to eat the "inside" of the taco's, so i should be fine. But I will check all the labels to be sure, what I thinks is lc is!

Thanks for all the encouragment!
Old 01-29-2010, 10:57 AM   #20
Blabbermouth!!!

You can do it!!
Old 01-29-2010, 11:27 AM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lora150 View Post
I am having people over for taco's tonight, so I am going to eat the "inside" of the taco's, so i should be fine. But I will check all the labels to be sure, what I thinks is lc is!
A good way to work tacos when you are LCing is to take the meat, the cheese and the salsa and sour cream and pour it all over some shreded lettuce. MMMMMMMmmm, taco salad!

And if you use a taco seasoning packet to flavor them, yes, definitely check for carbs as some of those have high-carb thickeners. I just season myself with chili powder, garlic, onion powder and a squeeze of fresh lime.
Old 01-29-2010, 11:39 AM   #22
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: SecondTimeAround
Stats: 200/145/130
WOE: Portion Control
Start Date: June 1, 2009
Subscribing so I can witness the two-week transformation also known as Atkins Induction!

And I'm with Poopsie - avoid the taco seasoning.
SecondTimeAround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 11:41 AM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: MarcyDarcy
Stats: 195/180/173 goal: 135 or maybe lower
Start Date: November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by poopsie2223 View Post
A good way to work tacos when you are LCing is to take the meat, the cheese and the salsa and sour cream and pour it all over some shreded lettuce. MMMMMMMmmm, taco salad!

And if you use a taco seasoning packet to flavor them, yes, definitely check for carbs as some of those have high-carb thickeners. I just season myself with chili powder, garlic, onion powder and a squeeze of fresh lime.
What you get is basically this: (hope this pic works)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cincos.jpg (6.7 KB, 284 views)
MarcyDarcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 11:42 AM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: GetFitNYC
WOE: Low Carb 98% of the time.
Start Date: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristina View Post
Hunger is what always brings me back to low carb. I might not cycle through as quickly as you, but it has happned to me in the last few years. I am on low-carb to stay this time.
The irony of this is that hunger is what always brought me back to LC too. Now that I've been doing it so long my appetite is so much lower than before.
GetFitNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 11:45 AM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JazzleBug
Stats: 235.7 | 216.8 | 135 @ 5'6"
WOE: HCG/Primal Blueprint/Leptin Reset
Start Date: 4/6/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcyDarcy View Post
What you get is basically this: (hope this pic works)
MarcyD, DH and I went there a couple of days ago - I'm still eating the leftovers. SOOOOO good.
JazzleBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 11:52 AM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: MarcyDarcy
Stats: 195/180/173 goal: 135 or maybe lower
Start Date: November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzleBug View Post
MarcyD, DH and I went there a couple of days ago - I'm still eating the leftovers. SOOOOO good.
Glad you liked it. BTW, that was another day I was glad I carry my camera with me everywhere.

Let's start planning another lunch.
MarcyDarcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 11:53 AM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JazzleBug
Stats: 235.7 | 216.8 | 135 @ 5'6"
WOE: HCG/Primal Blueprint/Leptin Reset
Start Date: 4/6/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcyDarcy View Post
Glad you liked it. BTW, that was another day I was glad I carry my camera with me everywhere.

Let's start planning another lunch.
Sounds good.
JazzleBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 09:23 AM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Day 1

I made it one day on! Thanks for the advice on the taco seasoning. I was shocked when I looked on the package! I never would have thought it had carbs, I just figured seasoning.

I started this morning at It Figures, it is like Curves. My friend owns it, and lets you go month to month, no contract, and within five minutes from my house. No excuses. I weighed in there, and I had her measure me, so I know offically where I am starting, and where I want to go. I am only going to weigh there, not a home.

Thanks again for the encouragment. Day two has started and I have already been to the gym.

Thanks again.

Lora
Old 01-30-2010, 09:34 AM   #29
Major LCF Poster!

WOO HOO, Lora! Good for you for getting through day one plus signing up to get some exercise. I have a feeling you are going to do great!
Old 01-30-2010, 09:59 AM   #30
Blabbermouth!!!

Good for you. We all had to start with a first step...you can do it!