LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2010, 08:21 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JazzleBug
Stats: 235.7 | 216.8 | 135 @ 5'6"
WOE: HCG/Primal Blueprint/Leptin Reset
Start Date: 4/6/12
Frustrated...Protein Shake with NO soy lecithin

I was all excited to try the Jay Robb shakes, but discovered that they have soy in them. Rather frustrating since that brand has such great reviews and so many flavors.

Anyone have any other suggestions?

I'm looking, number one, for my husband who is likely to go without breakfast unless I prepare him something, and number two, for me on the days I feel "meh" about eating breakfast (like today). I would be okay with egg creams, but they don't give me the texture I'm looking for and they don't fill up my husband, AT ALL regardless of what I doctor them up with. Protein powder shakes do fill him up.

Anyone try the NOW brand isolate? Any others?
JazzleBug is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-2010, 09:04 AM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: daisyHair
Stats: 257/228/140
WOE: Medi Weightloss
Start Date: 5' 4" 50 Years Old
Do you have an allergy, I just wondered.?..

Info on The Vanilla Flavor:

All Natural Ingredients
Cold-processed cross-flow microfiltered whey protein isolate, natural flavor, xanthan gum, lecithin, stevia

(Allergen Information) Contains: Milk by-products (whey) and less than 1% of product Lecithin (soy). This product is manufactured in a facility that processes other products which may contain soy, dairy, wheat, tree nuts, shellfish, fish, peanuts and eggs.

I have PCOS so I too stay away from Soy but IMO Jay Robb is the best Whey Protein for my money. I can live with 1% Soy, wondered if you realized it was that low in Soy?
Old 01-27-2010, 09:08 AM   #3
something there

Gallery: cleochatra
Stats: 364/233/125 5'5" [44]
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: August 31, 2012
I am not a soy girl (it makes me sprout extra appendages and ravage the countrysides by night. OK, so I read comic books) but the Jay Robb hasn't affected me, even if I had two in a single day.
cleochatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 09:10 AM   #4
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: pocahontas
I dont do soy either but the miniscule amount in Jay Robb has never effected me.
pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 10:00 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Indychick829
Stats: Highest - 217 / Lowest -160 / Current 170 & happy
WOE: Maintenance - whole foods/fruits/organic meats
Start Date: January 2009. Currently in Maintenance
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleochatra View Post
I am not a soy girl (it makes me sprout extra appendages and ravage the countrysides by night.
wow? you too? so it musta been YOU I saw last week...
Indychick829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 10:15 AM   #6
something there

Gallery: cleochatra
Stats: 364/233/125 5'5" [44]
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: August 31, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indychick829 View Post
wow? you too? so it musta been YOU I saw last week...
Next time, air time fist bumps.
cleochatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 11:13 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Indychick829
Stats: Highest - 217 / Lowest -160 / Current 170 & happy
WOE: Maintenance - whole foods/fruits/organic meats
Start Date: January 2009. Currently in Maintenance
Quote:
Next time, air time fist bumps.
Indychick829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 11:17 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisyHair View Post
Do you have an allergy, I just wondered.?..

Info on The Vanilla Flavor:

All Natural Ingredients
Cold-processed cross-flow microfiltered whey protein isolate, natural flavor, xanthan gum, lecithin, stevia

(Allergen Information) Contains: Milk by-products (whey) and less than 1% of product Lecithin (soy). This product is manufactured in a facility that processes other products which may contain soy, dairy, wheat, tree nuts, shellfish, fish, peanuts and eggs.

I have PCOS so I too stay away from Soy but IMO Jay Robb is the best Whey Protein for my money. I can live with 1% Soy, wondered if you realized it was that low in Soy?
I started using Spiru-tein shakes (soy protein) about 10 years ago when I started weight lifting and due to the horrible gastric distress it left me in (IIRC, I developed a rash on my back, just as I do with milk), I stumbled into my own soy research. There wasn't a whole lot available online then as soy seemed to be in its' peak "rah, rah, rah!" stages, but what I did find was disturbing enough to swear it off after I checked the cited studies, resources, and theories. I have eaten soy lecithin in products over the years without issue (to my knowledge), but not by seeking it out. It's everywhere and I'm trying to minimize it. I'm certainly not one to panic if I discover it in my food, but again, I'm trying to minimize my consumption. I've just started making my own mayo because I'm cracking down on the soy again, and it seems silly to immediately replace it with another product that is totally not a necessity.

Further, I have a doctor's appointment to discuss my thyroid tomorrow and if I have thyroid problems, everything I've read tells me to stay far, far away from it. And you know what? If I have a healthy thyroid, why should I eat it then, either? My overall health for the long term is important to me - not just getting healthy if there's a problem.

I also don't fully trust the whole "non-GMO" label on any of these products containing soy.

I know it's low in soy, but really it shouldn't matter. It's like saying, "oh, come on...it's just a few grams more sugar" to one of us low carbers or diabetics. Daisy, please don't take this the wrong way - I love reading what you have to say and you're always incredibly helpful. I view your input in this thread very helpful, too, so this is just a general statement not directed towards you. Hope it helps y'all better understand why and what I'm looking for.

I'm happy that for those who do like this product, but I'm looking for something else.
Old 01-27-2010, 11:18 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I am not a soy girl (it makes me sprout extra appendages and ravage the countrysides by night. OK, so I read comic books) but the Jay Robb hasn't affected me, even if I had two in a single day.
FanTASTIC! We should spike the punch and get a video of it!
Old 01-27-2010, 11:24 AM   #10
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: doxielvr
I think the On Whey products are soy free - they have lecithin, but not soy lecithin. I've tried both and personally don't think the Jay Robb is worth the extra $$.
doxielvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 12:16 PM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Minnas
Stats: 28/8-10/8-10
WOE: Lost VLC/Now LC/Lower calorie through lower fat
The ON Whey doesn't use stevia though. Last time I checked they didn't anyway. I know they use Ace K and I think they have one that is low carb but sweetened with fructose? They do offer plain unflavored though. I would still check to confirm where their lecithin is coming from just to make sure. Soy is the standard. The other options are peanuts and corn I think.

The thing with soy lecithin that bothers me is that continuing to use it means continuing to participate in the "soying" of the planet which I think we need to stop and the chemicals used to extract the lecithin and then clean it up are hideous. I do not believe the soy lecithin has any of the "bad soy stuff" left in it so the thyroid issue or any other hormone issues are a non-issue for me with this stuff but it's still a heavily chemically processed component from a source we should all hate so as long as we don't object to it's use with our wallets we will never be given another alternative.

It's a tough battle given it's in freaking everything so I understand why some just can't take the issue on. But I think it's certainly a fight worth fighting if you have the energy and fortitude to do it.
Minnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 12:27 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnas View Post
The ON Whey doesn't use stevia though. Last time I checked they didn't anyway. I know they use Ace K and I think they have one that is low carb but sweetened with fructose? They do offer plain unflavored though. I would still check to confirm where their lecithin is coming from just to make sure. Soy is the standard. The other options are peanuts and corn I think.

The thing with soy lecithin that bothers me is that continuing to use it means continuing to participate in the "soying" of the planet which I think we need to stop and the chemicals used to extract the lecithin and then clean it up are hideous. I do not believe the soy lecithin has any of the "bad soy stuff" left in it so the thyroid issue or any other hormone issues are a non-issue for me with this stuff but it's still a heavily chemically processed component from a source we should all hate so as long as we don't object to it's use with our wallets we will never be given another alternative.

It's a tough battle given it's in freaking everything so I understand why some just can't take the issue on. But I think it's certainly a fight worth fighting if you have the energy and fortitude to do it.
Fantastic. DH and I don't eat corn, either. We think about as highly of corn as we do soy.

The whole "soying of the planet" as you've said (I like that), is a huge issue with me. I don't believe in using soy products, period, so why would I personally promote them. I'm not an activist by any means, but I do have my own standards and expectations. I'm certainly not going to shove it down anyone's throat, but MY choice is to be as soy free as possible. It is worth the fight to me.
Old 01-27-2010, 01:04 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Faia
WOE: LC/Avoid Frankenfoods
Start Date: March 2009
I recently found soy lecithin in tea of all places.

Now if I am understanding what I have been reading, lecithin (can actually be sourced from several places) is an emulsifier. It is used to make two disparate liquids (or other substances) stay mixed rather than settling out. So for something like the protein powder, I can understand why (even if I don't like it), but for tea?
Faia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 08:05 AM   #14
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: daisyHair
Stats: 257/228/140
WOE: Medi Weightloss
Start Date: 5' 4" 50 Years Old
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzleBug View Post
I started using Spiru-tein shakes (soy protein) about 10 years ago when I started weight lifting and due to the horrible gastric distress it left me in (IIRC, I developed a rash on my back, just as I do with milk), I stumbled into my own soy research. There wasn't a whole lot available online then as soy seemed to be in its' peak "rah, rah, rah!" stages, but what I did find was disturbing enough to swear it off after I checked the cited studies, resources, and theories. I have eaten soy lecithin in products over the years without issue (to my knowledge), but not by seeking it out. It's everywhere and I'm trying to minimize it. I'm certainly not one to panic if I discover it in my food, but again, I'm trying to minimize my consumption. I've just started making my own mayo because I'm cracking down on the soy again, and it seems silly to immediately replace it with another product that is totally not a necessity.

Further, I have a doctor's appointment to discuss my thyroid tomorrow and if I have thyroid problems, everything I've read tells me to stay far, far away from it. And you know what? If I have a healthy thyroid, why should I eat it then, either? My overall health for the long term is important to me - not just getting healthy if there's a problem.

I also don't fully trust the whole "non-GMO" label on any of these products containing soy.

I know it's low in soy, but really it shouldn't matter. It's like saying, "oh, come on...it's just a few grams more sugar" to one of us low carbers or diabetics. Daisy, please don't take this the wrong way - I love reading what you have to say and you're always incredibly helpful. I view your input in this thread very helpful, too, so this is just a general statement not directed towards you. Hope it helps y'all better understand why and what I'm looking for.

I'm happy that for those who do like this product, but I'm looking for something else.
No worries,
I so totally understand!

I am very concerend about all the Soy myself. I believe I have really helped my PCOS by cutting back as FAR as I can.

You will find what works for you. When you make up your mind, something will always show itself. I bet you find one... When you do be sure to share!
daisyHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 03:33 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kkratz57
Stats: 210/205/140
WOE: Mod Carbs, Gluten-free, Limited grains/dairy/soy
Hi, I'm new here and ran across this post when I was searching non-soy low-carb options, as I was recently diagnosed with hypothyroidism. It might be too little too late, but I thought I'd chime in.

Douglas Labs has a great protein powder with NO soy (Ultra Protein Plus). 7.6 g carbs and it has a pretty good taste.

Ultra Protein Plus Vanilla, 948 Grams, Douglas Labs: Free Shipping Over $50

Hope this helps!
kkratz57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 04:25 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BikerAng
Stats: 195/167/155 5'9"
WOE: Atkins - organic & humanely raised
Start Date: Feb 2007
I'm going to try this whey protein powder next (after my Jay Robb is gone). It's also from made from grass fed cows.

Source Naturals The True Whey Powder

Other Ingredients: Natural vanilla flavor and stevia

Contains milk/dairy

Free Of Yeast, egg, gluten, corn, soy, wheat, starch, preservatives, artificial color, flavor and fragrance.
BikerAng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 04:38 PM   #17
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: NutinHonie
Stats: 209/173/145
Start Date: 10/1/08
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerAng View Post
I'm going to try this whey protein powder next (after my Jay Robb is gone). It's also from made from grass fed cows.

Source Naturals The True Whey Powder

Other Ingredients: Natural vanilla flavor and stevia

Contains milk/dairy

Free Of Yeast, egg, gluten, corn, soy, wheat, starch, preservatives, artificial color, flavor and fragrance.

Sounds good I like Source Naturals. I'm going to have to give it a try.
NutinHonie is offline   Reply With Quote