Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2010, 12:41 PM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: raini
WOE: mostly raw vegan
Start Date: February 2013
Difference between Atkins Bake & Carbquick?

I've been looking at the ingredients of both Carbquick and Atkins Bake Mix, so technically I know what the ingredients are in each one. However, I already have the Carbquick, but am thinking about buying the Atkins Bake Mix. My Netrition order is getting pretty spendy, and I'm wondering if I can use the Carbquick in recipes that call for the Atkins Bake Mix.

Not only was I hoping not to spend so much, but I am allergic to wheat and these both have either wheat gluten, flour of fiber in them. That means I won't get to use either of them very often... just when I want something special and don't mind dealing with the outbreak on my scalp, and the swollen knees and ankles that come with eating the stuff.

So, do you think I can get along with just the Carbquick? (My favorite recipe is the buttermilk pancakes/waffles recipe that calls for Atkins Bake Mix. I used to use CarbSense instead and they were just as wonderful.)

Thank for any help!

Raini
raini is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-2010, 04:48 PM   #2
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: TigerSmoke
Stats: 295/255/215 - 6' Male
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 11/29/2003
Unless they've changed it, I don't think the Atkins mix is very good. There was a recipe around here somewhere on how to make your own Atkins bake mix for much cheaper...
TigerSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 05:30 PM   #3

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
Yikes! I wish you could find something that pleases you as much that you aren't allergic too. Your reaction now is just uncomfortable, but it could easily become more serious--that's how allergies often progress. I wouldn't eat either of them in your situation. Wheat you get inadvertently in products is bad enough.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 06:38 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Minnas
Stats: 28/8-10/8-10
WOE: Lost VLC/Now LC/Lower calorie through lower fat
I think the Atkins bake mix is horrible. Stick with the Carbquik.
Minnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 06:55 PM   #5
Purgatory escapee

Gallery: DeltaSierra
Stats: Too much/Still too much/Perfect
WOE: Atkins
Here are two recipes I found on this board that I saved:

Atkins Bake Mix

Ingredients:
1 cup soy flour
2 cups wheat protein isolate
2 TBSP baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 TBSP Splenda

Method:
Sift all together and store in a zip lock bag in the fridge. When a recipecalls for bake mix, just measure according to the recipe.

Yield: 3 cups

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Atkins Bake Mix - No Soy

Ingredients:
1 cup almond flour
1 cup vital wheat gluten
1 cup unflavoured whey protein powder
4 packets Splenda
2 tablespoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt

Method:
Sift all together and store in a zip lock bag in the fridge. When a recipecalls for bake mix, just measure according to the recipe.

Yield: 3 cups

There are no elevators to success - you have to take the stairs.
DeltaSierra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 02:02 PM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Wow! Thank you all for your responses!

I ended up not buying the Atkins mix. I tried the Carbquick to see how it would work with the waffles recipe, and it was okay... maybe not as good as CarbSense, but since that's not available anymore, there's no point whining about it. I just figured I'd use the Atkins mix so seldom that there was really no reason to buy it at all.

Thanks for the recipes. I'll sure give some of them a try!

And for the warning about the wheat allergy- I hear you! I bought the Carbquick before my allergy kicked up a notch. It used to just affect my scalp, but now makes my knees and ankles swell as well. I plan to try some recipes without the wheat to see what I can come up with.

Thank you all again!

Raini
Old 01-26-2010, 07:28 PM   #7
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Raini, go to our Recipes Help forum and search for ANY food you'd like to low carb - our industrious and inventive LC Friends can make just about ANY food LC friendly without mixes at all!

I hated the Atkins bake mix, didn't know they still made it. I HAVE substituted Carbquik (because I have it) for the Atkins bake mix in recipes calling for it with pretty good success.

However, IMHO, the recipes on the aforementioned board which use almond flour, coconut flour, or other "non wheat" flours are MUCH superior to anything I've tried using Atkins bake mix OR Carbquik.

Try the black bean brownies/cake - OMG it's so good! Or the cream cheese/mozzarella waffles - our favorite of ANY waffle, LC or not! I think that one is under Sherrielee's Buns or something similar.

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 07:39 PM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Charski, I printed out the black bean cake recipe last week but haven't made it yet. Can I use black soy beans, do you think?

The waffles I make are from Sherrie's recipe, but that's the one that calls for Atkins mix. As I think I mentioned above, I used Carbquick and they turned out okay. I just don't want to use it very often because I am allergic to the wheat in it. I do use almond flour a lot, and I do have coconut flour on hand, although I haven't used it yet.

BTW... is that your kitty? Reminds me of our sweet Blossom that we had for 12 or 13 years. Also a little like our Gracie that we have now. (We also have her brother, Thai, but he is much darker.)

Thanks so much for the advice. I'll have to spend more time on the recipe forum!

Raini