Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2010, 07:46 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: lablover818
Hypnosis

Has anyone tried hypnosis for weight loss? There is going to be a seminar at a local hospital and I'm thinking of going. I'm curious about other people's experiences.

Thanks for any input!
lablover818 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-2010, 12:01 AM   #2
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Renae51
Stats: 172/128/125
WOE: low carb
Start Date: 06/18/09
Hi Lablover,
Yes I have tried hypnosis for weight loss many many years ago. It seemed to work but what was interesting is that the diet they put me one was low carb!! Stillmans if I remember....yes it did work now wether it was hypnosis or Stillmans....who knows!!
Renae
Renae51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 12:23 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: fireflyfaster
Stats: 234/150 5'9 BMI 22
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: 4/20/09 - Met Goal April 2010
Whether it's hypnosis, guided meditation or just affirmations that are written out and frequently repeated, behavioral techniques can make a difference -- to some people a lot, to others, just a little.

Be sure that whomever you work with understands the specifics of your goals -- otherwise you could have someone reinforcing mainstream conceptions of dieting, prompting you to eat "healthy grains" and lowfat foods, for example.

Some people can't be hypnotized, and I'm one of 'em. I do benefit from affirmations, though.
fireflyfaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 01:22 AM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Laurak303
WOE: Atkins
I went to one of those hypnosis seminars about 15 years ago. what they had you focus on was visualizing yourself being thin and saying to yourself, "i'm so thin, i can only eat half of what i used to eat", also "i'm just not hungry". they pushed you to buy expensive tapes, but said it would work if you didn't. i didn't buy the tapes. i did lose about 15 pounds over three months without really trying. so, i suppose it worked? ~ low carb works much better! and it doesn't cost anything.
Laurak303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 01:23 AM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Laurak303
I went to one of those hypnosis seminars about 15 years ago. what they had you focus on was visualizing yourself being thin and saying to yourself, "i'm so thin, i can only eat half of what i used to eat", also "i'm just not hungry". they pushed you to buy expensive tapes, but said it would work if you didn't. i didn't buy the tapes. i did lose about 15 pounds over three months without really trying. so, i suppose it worked? ~ low carb works much better! and it doesn't cost anything.
Laurak303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 05:30 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: harleychic
Stats: 174 (hw) 160/150/135 5'4
WOE: Atkins 72, clean eating no frankenfoods
Start Date: 5/3/08, re-start after baby #3 born on 3/22/11
My friend went to that for stopping smoking, didn't work at all. My advice, take that money and buy some really good steaks or your favorite low-carb foods or get a gym membership. This really does work all by itself, think of Ketosis as hypnosis for your body lol
Whatever you decide, good luck!!
harleychic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 06:59 AM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: dartstar1
Stats: 273/256/160 starting again 1-26-12 @259 4-1-12 242
WOE: ATKINS 72 <8
Start Date: 10/12/2009
I did when I was a teen, and I had it done for sugars and to be honest I have never really had a sweet tooth after that, I never ever bought a candy bar , I would eat tho homemade items atCHristmas and I would usually feel nausiated afterwards so I have to think that it worked
My problems was 99 % breads and mexican foods
dartstar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 07:18 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: MarcyDarcy
Stats: 195/180/173 goal: 135 or maybe lower
Start Date: November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireflyfaster View Post
Whether it's hypnosis, guided meditation or just affirmations that are written out and frequently repeated, behavioral techniques can make a difference -- to some people a lot, to others, just a little.

Be sure that whomever you work with understands the specifics of your goals -- otherwise you could have someone reinforcing mainstream conceptions of dieting, prompting you to eat "healthy grains" and lowfat foods, for example.

Some people can't be hypnotized, and I'm one of 'em. I do benefit from affirmations, though.
I'm also one of those who can't be hypnotized. Any idea why we can't go under?
MarcyDarcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 11:17 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MNLisaB
Stats: 222/155/140??
WOE: low carb, portion control
Start Date: 9/1/06
I am the same way, I guess I cannot let myself "go" (too uptight??? )

Tried wl hypnosis many years ago, it was a very small session and was given a relaxation tape to play before going to sleep. Didn't help, but the gist of her tape was to eat "low fat" foods, and in smaller proportions.
MNLisaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 05:07 PM   #10
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Teddy Maynard
Marcy,

I bet the reason you couldn't be hypnotized is because you had a mismatch between how you think and how the hypnosis was structured. People have different imaginations. Some people respond well to visualization and metaphor, others to direct command. So if you get a hypnotist or a tape that relies a lot on visuals, and that's not your thing, you'll just shrug it off.

A really good hypnotist will test the subject to see what works. (Another reason a mass hypnosis seminar only has a limited success rate, except for the cash intake.) Unfortunately, really good hypnotists are hard to find.

Fortunately, you can test around with different kinds of hypnosis to see what works for you. There are a number of good books on self-hypnosis. It's a lot like straight affirmations with a relaxation component built in so they stick faster. I could go into the "mind model" but that might be so relaxing everyone falls into a deep sleep...
Teddy Maynard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 05:20 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: MarcyDarcy
Stats: 195/180/173 goal: 135 or maybe lower
Start Date: November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy Maynard View Post
Marcy,

I bet the reason you couldn't be hypnotized is because you had a mismatch between how you think and how the hypnosis was structured. People have different imaginations. Some people respond well to visualization and metaphor, others to direct command. So if you get a hypnotist or a tape that relies a lot on visuals, and that's not your thing, you'll just shrug it off.

A really good hypnotist will test the subject to see what works. (Another reason a mass hypnosis seminar only has a limited success rate, except for the cash intake.) Unfortunately, really good hypnotists are hard to find.

Fortunately, you can test around with different kinds of hypnosis to see what works for you. There are a number of good books on self-hypnosis. It's a lot like straight affirmations with a relaxation component built in so they stick faster. I could go into the "mind model" but that might be so relaxing everyone falls into a deep sleep...
Thanks for the explanation. Very interesting. I always wondered if it was due to past abuse. I found that one eye would never completely close and I kept wanting to glance toward the door. I feel like I've dealt with the past very well, but I guess hypnosis is kind of an ultimate trust and is a bit "over the line" for me.
MarcyDarcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 06:04 PM   #12
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Looweewoo
Stats: 420/275/220 - 6'2"
WOE: Carnivore/T2 Diabetic
Start Date: Restart@350 09/17/09 The best is yet to come!
I studied hypnosis for years and did fairly well at self hypnosis and some guided relaxations for others. But I found that most of the people who "can't be hypnotized" had one thing in common. They didn't want to be hypnotized.

At some level, sometimes blatant, sometimes subtle, they didn't trust the process and so it couldn't work. A few responded to auto-suggestion and became willing to trust a more guided relaxation, but very few.

As for weight loss, I wish. Perhaps for those people who are overweight for simple over indulgence and lack of exercise, but not for me or anyone I know who were really trying to lose weight unsuccessfully - as many who are over-weight do.

Of course, I never tried the low carb suggestion... maybe...
Looweewoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 10:03 AM   #13
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Teddy Maynard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Looweewoo View Post
I studied hypnosis for years and did fairly well at self hypnosis and some guided relaxations for others. But I found that most of the people who "can't be hypnotized" had one thing in common. They didn't want to be hypnotized.
And some studies have shown that people who are told to pretend to be hypnotize respond to suggestion as well as people who actually are hypnotized... it's a rather mysterious process, that's for sure.
Teddy Maynard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 10:06 AM   #14
something there

Gallery: cleochatra
Stats: 364/233/125 5'5" [44]
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: August 31, 2012
I've seen too many of those shows where the guy with the drawn on eyebrows made people pretend to lay eggs on stage.

Like I need anymore socially awkward situations.
cleochatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 12:43 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: harleychic
Stats: 174 (hw) 160/150/135 5'4
WOE: Atkins 72, clean eating no frankenfoods
Start Date: 5/3/08, re-start after baby #3 born on 3/22/11
lol lol very funny Cleo!!
harleychic is offline   Reply With Quote