Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2010, 09:15 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: aforeman
Stats: 206/185/125
WOE: Moderate carbs
Abdominal Pannus--

I read a few older posts from people that have the same problem as I do. I have a large amount of skin that hangs down in my abdominal area. And as one poster said--it's like a front butt, with a separation down the middle. I have dieted off and on all my life and am in the process now. I have at least 50 lbs to go. I saw a plastic surgeon about 6 months ago and had scheduled a lower body lift which was going to take care of the abdominal pannus because the surgeon says there is no other way to get rid of it. Well let's just say my husband strongly objects to me having surgery for it. Not only the money, which I "could" get, but he just does not want me to have it. I guess health risks and also paranoia I think. But day by day this bothers me more and more and I am just desperate to find a way to solve my problem. Is there ANYTHING out there that will make it better??? I have now started having the itching and soreness and odor. I am so scared that it will come to a time that the odor will be overpowering and I do not want to stink!!! Please someone help me with a solution!!! Thanks so much! Annette
aforeman is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2010, 09:25 PM   #2
Do you know your CCLL?

Gallery: 2bflawless
Hi and welcome to the board. I see this is your first post. I don't know how much it can help but have you tried exercising specifically, weight training? You don't mention that in your post. It has really tightened things for me. I would try that first and see how far I got and then if necessary consider a tummy tuck.

Good luck.
2bflawless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 09:33 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: snooks86
Stats: 6 ft, Past 270/Present 230/Goal 175 lbs
WOE: Atkins Induction
get the surgery if it's gonna make you happy.
snooks86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 09:33 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: GardenGirl639
Stats: 229/restart 201/193/145 5'3 3/4"
I'm not sure about a pannus, but I know that there are a lot of women who swear by dry skin brushing and T-Tapp. I went to their retreat in October and saw a 43 year old woman who had given birth to six children and now has perfectly flat stomach. She had photos taken in a bikini and she looked incredible. No sagging skin at all. She did T-Tapp and dry skin brushing.

I've been brushing, but I still have too much fat in there to be flat yet.
GardenGirl639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 09:53 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JK130
Stats: 280/152/130
WOE: LC
Start Date: 7.1.09
Can you share what are are T-Tapp and dry skin brushing? And since I'm being lame, can anyone tell me what is SUADI (I keep seeing that acronym on another thread)? Thanks!
JK130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 09:59 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: GardenGirl639
Stats: 229/restart 201/193/145 5'3 3/4"
T-Tapp is an exercise program. Here is a link to the exercise board that describes it better:

T-tapp: Tuck and twist for a stonger core in January

Dry Brushing is using a natural bristle brush to brush your body in a specific sequence. It exfoliates dry skin, stimulates new cell growth, and moves the lymph.

Last edited by GardenGirl639; 01-06-2010 at 10:02 PM..
GardenGirl639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 10:02 PM   #7
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Butternut
Stats: FAT
WOE: No Flour, No Sugar
Start Date: I have been very bad....
I use 91% rubbing alcohol in creases, etc...
Butternut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 10:11 PM   #8
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: verbqueen
Stats: 224/163
WOE: LC/HF, for now
It's your body--if you want the surgery, you should have it. It's not your husband's decision to make!
verbqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 10:42 PM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Minnas
Stats: 28/8-10/8-10
WOE: Lost VLC/Now LC/Lower calorie through lower fat
Quote:
Originally Posted by verbqueen View Post
It's your body--if you want the surgery, you should have it. It's not your husband's decision to make!
Exactly!

Have him go with you to the surgeon if he did not go the first time. His fears are understandable and even appropriate but it is not his decision to make. If you really want this you need to work with him so he can feel better about this. The situation you are describing will not be resolved by any means other than surgery. I had a LBL (among other things) and it was well worth the expense and pain and yes, risk. Most people are very, very happy with their decision to do this kind of surgery.
Minnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 12:54 AM   #10
Administrator

Gallery: cheri
Stats: 150 + pounds lost - 4' 11"
I know EXACTLY how you feel!! Having lost about 150 pounds myself I have the same issues you are having. Luckily my insurance is going to pay for my surgery so you may want to check with yours as well. You have to meet a certain criteria to gain approval but it sounds like you do.. If they approve it that will be one less issue for your husband to worry about.. I had to get a couple doctors to recommend it.. take pictures of the problems I has having.. send in letters from the doctors and after I was denied a couple of times they finally approved it. I am just waiting on them to get it scheduled so hopefully I will have it done sometime this month. When you lose so much weight and then you have some newer issues (chafing and other problems) you really want to get things finished up so to speak. Have your hubby go to the doctor with you as sharis suggested so he can get his questions answered but if you want to get it done you should do it. You will be doing it for you and it will really make you feel so much better about yourself. I would have the surgery even if my insurance didn't cover it.

I used to live to eat... now I eat to live!
Don't be a victim of Dieters remorse.. Don't cheat.. stay on plan!
cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 04:13 AM   #11
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Looweewoo
Stats: 420/275/220 - 6'2"
WOE: Carnivore/T2 Diabetic
Start Date: Restart@350 09/17/09 The best is yet to come!
I wonder about this in general, I may have to face the issue if I lose more weight. Does anyone wear clothing that helps hold it up so that at least the creasing problems are minimized?

I know you are supposed to wait a fairly long time before deciding to have the surgery, but what about in the meanwhile, what can be done to make it more comfortable?
Looweewoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 04:30 AM   #12

Gallery: sourpeach
Stats: sw264/cw167/goal140
WOE: Atkins!
Start Date: Orig 1.1.06-always a challenge
I have heard that you should wait 2 years after you hit your goal weight before doing anything drastic.. ie.. surgery. Things do tighten up over time ESPECIALLY if your excercising. Honestly, you have to excersice in order to tighten up at all. I was @ 264 originally.. I am @ 171 now, I have 3 children . My tummy is not flat enough for a bikini.. I do have some loose skin, but just a bit. And I admit I have not been excercising. I would definately wait on surgery, only as a last resort.

Just my opinion.. Hugs to you!!
sourpeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 04:46 AM   #13
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: LouieLouie2007
Stats: 250+/181.8/160 or 23% body fat 5'6" 34 yrs
WOE: Atkins all the way baby!
Start Date: April 2003/Start again April 06 post 2nd child
I would say get it if it you are unhappy, and especially if there are hygiene issues because of it. Because that can lead to rashes and other complications that can be far worse than surgery.
LouieLouie2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 05:04 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Daydreamer
Stats: 270/213.8/160
WOE: low/mod carbs < 100 grams daily from vegis/dairy
Start Date: ~every day~every bite~
I'm in the same boat as the op is after three c sections when very overweight. The c sections didn't cause the problem but they didn't help it either.

I did weigh over 270 lbs at one time, I developed this problem after I started to lose the weight. Once the fat is lost, the excessive skin just hangs there.

We're not talking about jello belly or a small hang over of lose skin, we are talking about a large flap of skin that generally is as wide as your front lower belly happens to be.

Exercise will not remove this large flap of skin as it hangs down, in some cases sagging until it covers the front of your private area.

The only true way to get rid of it is ab/stom surgery.

What my dr. told me until I am ready to have the surgery, is to always wash the area very well, towel then blow dry the area lifting up the excess skin until it is absolutely dry, and then apply non-scented powder to the entire area.

I use the medicated Goldbond brand of powder, the green bottle seems to work the best for odor control. Store brand doesn't even come close to working, it's the same ingred. but it just didn't do as good of a job.

Not using a drying agent or putting the powder on the area before it is very dry, will cause the "smell" which is caused by sweating under the skin and not being "dry" enough.

Any moisture causes the skin to sweat like your under arms do in the summer causing bacterial growth. You can care for the problem in this way it but it is a temporary measure.

When the area gets or stays moist, it doesn't matter how clean you are about yourself, there's a sour odor AND usually it gets itchy, sore, and the skin can even peel in big chunks. This does actually hurt if bad enough.

When I have to hurry to get to an appointment, or if I feel that I can't get the area dry enough, I use a washrag placed diagionally in the skin crease to absorb the moisture and keep the top and bottom of the skin folds apart so as not to rub or irritate the skin. This stays between the folds for a while, if the skin is peeling, I leave it there all day to dry the continuing moisture keeping the area comfortable.

You can't do that with jello belly, as there's no way for the rag to stay in place.

This is a real medical problem, not a vanity problem.

Last edited by Daydreamer; 01-07-2010 at 05:15 AM..
Daydreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 05:23 AM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sweetpoison
Stats: 225/224/160
WOE: 80/20 PRIMAL
Start Date: 08/22/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by aforeman View Post
I read a few older posts from people that have the same problem as I do. I have a large amount of skin that hangs down in my abdominal area. And as one poster said--it's like a front butt, with a separation down the middle. I have dieted off and on all my life and am in the process now. I have at least 50 lbs to go. I saw a plastic surgeon about 6 months ago and had scheduled a lower body lift which was going to take care of the abdominal pannus because the surgeon says there is no other way to get rid of it. Well let's just say my husband strongly objects to me having surgery for it. Not only the money, which I "could" get, but he just does not want me to have it. I guess health risks and also paranoia I think. But day by day this bothers me more and more and I am just desperate to find a way to solve my problem. Is there ANYTHING out there that will make it better??? I have now started having the itching and soreness and odor. I am so scared that it will come to a time that the odor will be overpowering and I do not want to stink!!! Please someone help me with a solution!!! Thanks so much! Annette

If money is not the BIG part of this issue.... and you try all else.... You need to do what is best for you.... Your husband does not have to put up with your situation.. you do and if I decided the surgery was what I really needed, he would just have to deal with it.... if it were me!!! I guess I just dont live to satisfy the man anymore.

Vicki
sweetpoison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 10:35 AM   #16
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: lisabinil
Stats: 287/Restart 206/177/160 5'6"
WOE: Healthy Carb for Optimum Health
Start Date: 2/4/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bflawless View Post
Hi and welcome to the board. I see this is your first post. I don't know how much it can help but have you tried exercising specifically, weight training? You don't mention that in your post. It has really tightened things for me. I would try that first and see how far I got and then if necessary consider a tummy tuck.

Good luck.

She has a pannus and no amount of exercise will take care of this. The skin folds in a pannus cause some to suffer from servere yeast infections and most times insurance will cover this procedure as it has become a medical necessity not vanity. I went from 287 to 160 and definitely need plastic surgery. Check out SnowWhites posts-she had a large pannus and hernia I believe removed with surgery.

Last edited by lisabinil; 01-07-2010 at 10:39 AM..
lisabinil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 10:38 AM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jamistar77
Stats: 150/142/137 or 15% body fat 5'7"
WOE: Body For Life/TKD
Start Date: 09/2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by aforeman View Post
This is something you need to do for yourself. If this pannus is starting to get sore and itchy you need to tell your DH that you HAVE to do this, you could actually get necrosis of the tissue (where the tissue die) and it can be a huge health hazard. I agree with Jessica. Tell him Sorry Charlie. This matter is not out of being Vain, its for health now.

Last edited by jamistar77; 01-07-2010 at 10:39 AM..
jamistar77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 10:40 AM   #18

Also keep reporting any adverse symptoms to your doc so they can be documented for insurance as proof of a valid medical condition.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:42 AM   #19

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
i'm just curious about your starting weight..Did you have a pannus at 206? or were your heavier at one point?

I do think you should lose all your weight first and then maybe your dh will see how much you need this surgery..Good luck..
CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 12:49 PM   #20

Gallery: cnmLisa
Stats: 185/146/155
WOE: KwatkinsIFpower
Start Date: LC for 7 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daydreamer View Post
I'm in the same boat as the op is after three c sections when very overweight. The c sections didn't cause the problem but they didn't help it either.

I did weigh over 270 lbs at one time, I developed this problem after I started to lose the weight. Once the fat is lost, the excessive skin just hangs there.

We're not talking about jello belly or a small hang over of lose skin, we are talking about a large flap of skin that generally is as wide as your front lower belly happens to be.
Exercise will not remove this large flap of skin as it hangs down, in some cases sagging until it covers the front of your private area.

The only true way to get rid of it is ab/stom surgery.

What my dr. told me until I am ready to have the surgery, is to always wash the area very well, towel then blow dry the area lifting up the excess skin until it is absolutely dry, and then apply non-scented powder to the entire area.

I use the medicated Goldbond brand of powder, the green bottle seems to work the best for odor control. Store brand doesn't even come close to working, it's the same ingred. but it just didn't do as good of a job.

Not using a drying agent or putting the powder on the area before it is very dry, will cause the "smell" which is caused by sweating under the skin and not being "dry" enough.

Any moisture causes the skin to sweat like your under arms do in the summer causing bacterial growth. You can care for the problem in this way it but it is a temporary measure.

When the area gets or stays moist, it doesn't matter how clean you are about yourself, there's a sour odor AND usually it gets itchy, sore, and the skin can even peel in big chunks. This does actually hurt if bad enough.

When I have to hurry to get to an appointment, or if I feel that I can't get the area dry enough, I use a washrag placed diagionally in the skin crease to absorb the moisture and keep the top and bottom of the skin folds apart so as not to rub or irritate the skin. This stays between the folds for a while, if the skin is peeling, I leave it there all day to dry the continuing moisture keeping the area comfortable.

You can't do that with jello belly, as there's no way for the rag to stay in place.

This is a real medical problem, not a vanity problem.
This is excellent advice.

In addition, the odor, redness, and rash is due to yeast which can usually be avoided with consistent hygiene precuations. Gold Bond medicated powder does work well. If you do develop a yeast infection, an OTC yeast medication should take care of it. This is what I tell my patients who have a low hanging pannus.

Unfortuantely only a panectomy can take care of the problem. Exercise is not the solution for this.

I hope you can talk with your husband and convince him that it just isn't about vanity.

Good Luck to you.

Lisa
cnmLisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 03:52 PM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blood Sugar 101
Stats: 1998-2009 170/142/145---2010 138/142/138
WOE: 80-100g per day. Metformin (no more prandin!)
Start Date: First LC diet 1998, goal 2003, continual vigilance
There are some good plastic surgery support boards online which you can find with a google search. (I don't think I'm allowed to link to them.)

Don't have your surgery until you are ALL done with your weight loss and have maintained for a year or more, because bad things can happen if you lose too much after the surgery or if you regain more than 10 pounds or so. The surgery is gruelling, but many people are very happy with the result. You will need to schedule it sometime when you can do nothing for about 6 weeks and you do need your husband's support.

I went through the same thing with Breast Reduction a while back. I'd been huge since I weighed 108 lbs and I was sick of it. My sweetie was terrified I'd die--I have a terrible medical history. Eventually things got to the point where he understood why I wanted it and we found a highly recommended surgeon who calmed both our fears. All went well and now he's a huge fan.
Blood Sugar 101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 05:13 PM   #22
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Could DH have an insecurity issue going on? Sounds like this could be the case. So many men/women freak when their partner starts to look better. They think they are going to run away or something. Talk to him about it, see why he is so against it. His answer may surprise you and not at all what you thought. Just a thought and opinion, nothing more. Good luck to you!!!
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 05:18 PM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blood Sugar 101
Stats: 1998-2009 170/142/145---2010 138/142/138
WOE: 80-100g per day. Metformin (no more prandin!)
Start Date: First LC diet 1998, goal 2003, continual vigilance
Beeb,

That might not be fair. The deceptively named "tummy tuck" is very major surgery with a long recovery period and the possibility of severe complications. It's also extremely expensive. There are a lot of legitimate reasons someone who loves you might worry about.

Sadly, too many people don't do their homework and pick the first surgeon they see. Some plastic surgeons are dangerous, some are incompetent, some just do ugly work. Hanging out on the plastic surgery support boards will quickly teach you what you need to know to chose a good doctor and give you a good idea what happens if you don't.
Blood Sugar 101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 05:27 PM   #24
something there

Gallery: cleochatra
Stats: 364/233/125 5'5" [44]
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: August 31, 2012
I am SO having skin removal surgery once I hit goal. Who needs flaps on a windy day? I'd be like the flying nun.
cleochatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 05:42 PM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: bdladie
Stats: 311/187/150 for now
WOE: South Beach kind of
Start Date: 1/16/06
I just had a tummy tuck and bilateral thigh lift done on the 18th of December. No it was not easy and it is still painful. 6 to 8 weeks for healing but I am glad I did it. I was tired of the infections on my folds. Mine was so bad I had 2 hanging flaps and even exercise will be better now, well once I can at least.

Anyone want to see the scary pics PM me and I will give you a link. I do have to warn you they are graphic but if you are on the fence they might push you to one side or the other.

Tania
bdladie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 05:45 PM   #26
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: daisyHair
Stats: 257/228/140
WOE: Medi Weightloss
Start Date: 5' 4" 50 Years Old
Quote:
Originally Posted by verbqueen View Post
Right on.
daisyHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 05:57 PM   #27
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: daisyHair
Stats: 257/228/140
WOE: Medi Weightloss
Start Date: 5' 4" 50 Years Old
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisabinil View Post
Also keep reporting any adverse symptoms to your doc so they can be documented for insurance as proof of a valid medical condition.
Exactly,
An agent at my insurance company actually recommended that I report to my Dr. often with any issues as it helps (sometimes) in the long run to impress upon the insurance companies that you need the surgery because of past issues and they are more likely to pay for it. Most ins. companies look at these surgeries on a one-on-one basis.
daisyHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 06:07 PM   #28
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gilbabe75
I wish you peace in making the right decision. As for the odor, sweat issues. Dry Idea makes a solid clinical strength deodorant/antiperspirant that is great for that. Its unscented and not goopy. Because its a solid it goes on very lightly and will help with the odor and wetness. HTH
gilbabe75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 06:17 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleochatra View Post
I am SO having skin removal surgery once I hit goal. Who needs flaps on a windy day? I'd be like the flying nun.

Old 01-07-2010, 09:00 PM   #30

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
Ok, at the risk of Too Much Information, as an immediate measure, wear your panties with the front waist UNDER the flap. Don't let anyone see you like this, of course, it's under your clothes. But it prevents the skin from rubbing together, getting moist, etc. Powder is good too, but it doesn't last as well as having a layer of cloth there.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote