LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2009, 01:45 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: dune
Stats: 255/132/110 5'7"
WOE: LCC (Low Carb & Calories)
Start Date: Dec 5, 2009
Will one high-carb meal ruin it all?

If I eat high-carb food just for one day and restart diet right away, will I go through 'induction flu' again?
dune is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-2009, 01:47 PM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: daisyHair
Stats: 257/228/140
WOE: Medi Weightloss
Start Date: 5' 4" 50 Years Old
Oh boy,

So much to consider with this question..

How much do you need to lose?
How long have you been LC?
What program are you on?
How do you handle carbs? (Will it make you crave?)

For me I am having this issue right now and it sure is NOT helping me to have carbs.
daisyHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 01:49 PM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Ilpirata
yes it will probably knock you out of ketosis. also your header asks about one meal but your post mentions one day. obviously one meal is better than a whole day.
Ilpirata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 02:29 PM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: dune
Stats: 255/132/110 5'7"
WOE: LCC (Low Carb & Calories)
Start Date: Dec 5, 2009
I just started low-carb low-fat diet, it's been a week now, induction symptoms finally got better and it feels great. So I plan to stay on this WOE, but I'm having a wedding anniversary after a few weeks. It won't be cool to sit and watch how everyone eats cake and other high-carb food. In fact all celebration will be ruined because they will worry why won't I eat.
But i definitely don't want to go through induction hell again.

Sorry for my bad english, it's not even my second language, but all the good stuff on the internet is in english, including this forum. Especially this forum
dune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 02:29 PM   #5
Committed to Succeed

Gallery: Magicsmom
Stats: 282/182/140
WOE: Low carb/portion control
Start Date: Re-re-restarted 7/16/12
Considering that you're just getting started, I would say yes, it will ruin it all. You will probably end up back where you started weight wise (if you're lucky). It's far too early in the game to be toying with a high carb meal. JMO.
Magicsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 02:32 PM   #6

Gallery: suzanneyea
Stats: 156/124/120
WOE: Vlc
It would for me. I know if I ate high carb it would trigger all my old behaviors. I may never get back on plan again.
suzanneyea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 02:37 PM   #7
Resident crazy dog lady

Gallery: sistertzu
Stats: 244/goal -90 Atkins/IF
WOE: VLC/no grain/ minimal dairy
Start Date: originally march 08 but every day is a fresh start
I don't know, that's a good question. How many carbs? If I had one high carb meal it would be so hard for me to stop at just that. When I have re induced a couple of times I did get induction flu symptoms but they were not as bad.

Sis
sistertzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 02:41 PM   #8
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: tempted_by_food
Stats: 233/164/140
WOE: HHCG Rogue Style....
Start Date: restart: 7/13/2009
If it is a full day then most likely yes am sure you will feel crappy and have the induction flu symptoms again for a few days and you will show a weight gain, each time you go off the wagon its harder to get back on, am speaking from experience it leaves me feeling bloated gasy and miserable, I wish you luck whatever you choose!
tempted_by_food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 02:44 PM   #9

Gallery: peanutte
Stats: 188/118
WOE: Atkins maintenance
Start Date: 01/03/09
Why take the risk? Can you think of one good reason to take the risk? I can't.
peanutte is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 02:46 PM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ljguitar
Stats: 350++/under 240/wherever 30 net carbs a day leads
WOE: 30 net carbs a day or less...unclean eating
Start Date: August 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by dune View Post
If I eat high-carb food just for one day and restart diet right away, will I go through 'induction flu' again?
Hi dune…
No, it will not ruin it all...and you probably will not need to re-induct...it's done around here often without being confessed or discussed.

Many people in the forum eat a meal off-plan as often as weekly, others monthly, without any issues (we tend to keep it hush-hush because of the criticism or concerns it tends to stir up).

If you eat one off-plan meal, don't go hog-wild and return to plan the next meal/day, you will be just fine.

ljguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 02:49 PM   #11

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
Make sure that you eat a acceptable low carb meal before the celebration and have some acceptable low carb snacks to take along. If you find yourself getting truly hungry, not just peckish, eat your low carb food.

Have some cake and other treats, but don't be hungry when you eat the cake. Take a small slice, but you don't have to eat the whole slice. If anyone asks, just tell them the truth, "It's delicious, but too much for me,I'm not very hungry I just wanted to taste some"

If there is a buffet of food, choose a low carb as you can and enjoy it. Don't get something highcarb/high sugar just cause someone else wants you to eat it. Just say no thank you I don't want it. It's your body.

And you might well feel like crap the next day from cake and snacks but that's what will happen if you eat high carb and then drop back to induciton levels again. Actually I fell like crap if I eat high carb and keep eating high carb, but it's worse when you eat normal low carb induction soon after.

Enjoy the party, and eat before hand and don't let yourself get bullied into eating what you don't want..
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 02:52 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Victrola
Stats: Who currently knows?
WOE: Keeping it under 20g daily
Start Date: 11/17/2009
I'm going to be drinking this weekend, so I'm already preparing myself for the temporary scale jump.
Victrola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 02:53 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Teefie
Stats: 180.5/174.4/130
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 06/24/09 restart-05/26/13
If you do it, mentally prepare yourself that you will be back on plan the next day. You don't want this to be the beginning of the end of your low-carb future and success.
Teefie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 02:57 PM   #14

Larry, I think there's a difference between someone like you who incorporates a different type of meal on a regular, planned basis--and who does not follow his low-carb plan for the primary purpose of losing weight--and someone who is new to their program and has a certain amount of weight to lose. Most people need to build up some new habits before they can go playing around with their old ways of eating--and some never can.

Yes, some people (like you!) are able to have a certain type of higher-carb meal once in a while, and I think that's absolutely fine as long as it doesn't carry any negative consequences for them. I do think its a terrible idea for inexperienced newbies, and binge-eaters who are triggered by carbs.

Last edited by peanutte; 12-07-2009 at 02:58 PM..
Old 12-07-2009, 03:01 PM   #15
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: FloridaShell
Stats: Grrr/Grrr/130
WOE: My own way of l/cing
Start Date: 1/2/08
No, it would ruin everything for you. Believe me, it's not worth it. I wouldn't eat off plan because my body just can't take it. One bite doesn't do me harm, but I couldn't imagine eating off plan a whole day or even a meal.
FloridaShell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 03:01 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: maizenbluebabe
Stats: 182.0/168.4/150
WOE: LowCarb, JUDDD
Start Date: June 08
HI Dune, welcome to a wonderful forum made up of members who will always try to help you, so feel free to ask any questions you want. (You might be our first Latvian member and it is magical to see how close the internet can bring all of us even though many miles separate us.)

Maybe for the anniversary celebration (CONGRATULATIONS!) you might be able to identify something that is not so high in carbs and try to make a show of eating that so that everyone sees you enjoying some food and doesnt have to worry that you are starving yourself. YOu could always say, "oh, I am so hungry for this--it is so delicious, I just want to fill up on it ."

My best friend was born in Riga (came to the states after WWII ) and she is a fabulous cook of many delicious and hearty European style dishes, so I know you will find it a challenge to find things that are not too fattening or off-plan.

One thing you might do is try to spend some time reading here before your big day and see if you can pick up some hints about how to look like you are eating a lot even when you arent. Or to see what others here do when they are placed in difficult social situations.

You might also try putting stuff on your plate and pushing it around with your fork and just nibbling the least "damaging" food on your plate. (models do that.) Also, drink lots of water and fill up on salad or meat before you go so that you are already satisfied. That way, if you eat a bit off-plan, you wont have room to stuff yourself with a mountain of things you will regret later...

There is a big difference in eating a few bites of "higher carb" foods you wouldnt ordinarily eat and in just throwing all caution to the winds and gorging on a lot of super-high carb stuff and putting yourself way behind in your progress to a healthier way of eating. When you do that and the scale is up 4 or 5 or even six pounds the next day, it is so discouraging and very hard to get back on track because often this kind of High Carb eating can also cause you to have terrible cravings once more and it is harder than ever to get back on track.

Also, if there is going to be dancing, you can always excuse yourself from eating a lot by saying that if you eat too much, you wont feel energetic enough to dance as much as you want.

Have a wonderful time and no matter what you eat, come back here and we will gladly help you with the next steps of your plan.

(PS__your English is great--no need to apologize for it!) (I bet none of us can speak Latvian!) Sally
maizenbluebabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 03:06 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jo2621
Stats: 225+ now 135 5'5" 48 y.o.
WOE: LC maintenance since 2008
Start Date: June 2007
This is just a suggestion.

You say that the event is in a few weeks. Why worry about it right now?
Stay on plan. Don't derail yourself by thinking about it now.

If you decide that going off plan and eating to please others is really worth it, then make your choice. You might think now, so soon after starting, that it will be hard to watch others eat. After a while, especially after you start seeing results, it gets easier to say no.

You may decide that it's not worth it to go off your plan and interrupt all of your hard work and efforts just to please someone else.
Old 12-07-2009, 03:09 PM   #18

Well said, Jo.
Old 12-07-2009, 03:15 PM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: steady
Stats: 110/95 5'2
WOE: ATKINS
Start Date: Feb 2007
Quote:
I know myself...if I ate a high carb meal, I would unravel or have a heart-attack, whichever comes first , and induction flu sucked the first time around...I don't want to go through it or back to that point ever again.

Anyway, I am not sure you will, probably not, but reviving cravings is what I would worry more about.
steady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 03:15 PM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ljguitar
Stats: 350++/under 240/wherever 30 net carbs a day leads
WOE: 30 net carbs a day or less...unclean eating
Start Date: August 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutte View Post
Larry, I think there's a difference between someone like you who incorporates a different type of meal on a regular, planned basis--and who does not follow his low-carb plan for the primary purpose of losing weight--and someone who is new to their program and has a certain amount of weight to lose. You need to build up some new habits before you can go playing around with your old ways of eating.
Oh peanutte…
This whole way of eating is playing around with carbs and numbers and formulas and food experiments...

Whether or not I eat primarily to lose weight, follow strict Atkins '72 or make up my own plan, the fact remains that I have still managed to drop over 85 pounds just eating and having fun the low carb way...and eating a meal off plan every 4-5 weeks.

It certainly has not derailed me, or thrown me back to induction, stirred up cravings, or apparently stalled the side-benefit of still providing weight loss and clothing size reduction. I'm not the only one who has successfully eaten meals off plan and am not guilt ridden about it.

I don't think there is any difference for someone like me, and someone who is doing low carb for strict weight loss...our bodies certainly doesn't analyze and know the difference. If someone wants to eat a single moderate off-plan meal one time at their upcoming wedding anniversary I encourage them to enjoy the day, the friends, and the food without guilt or pressure.

If they cannot control and return to the plan afterwards, they will at least know their limits are not in place. It's not my job or responsibility to cover every contingency.

And I'm just answering the question of/to the original poster in the friendliest, most direct and most honest way I know how.

You spoke of developing habits, and one of the ''habits'' I developed early on with this plan was the practice of enjoying a moderate off-plan meal once in a while.

I think it's a habit that many here practice way more frequently than I do, and they continue to lose weight without being derailed, or kicked out of the ketosis club - and they are not in maintenance phase.

The reason they don't talk about it around here is because they don't want to have to get into discussions or critiques of the practice...

There will always be some folks who are derailed by eating just one tiny carby thing off plan, and others who will have withdrawals or anxiety because they looked into a Baskin Robbins on the way home and incurred ''carb-laden'' thoughts...but most of us can endure an occasional carb or 30 extra on a special occasion.

…The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese…
ljguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 03:21 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sfmama123
Stats: 356/226/175
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: Every day
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi dune…
No, it will not ruin it all...and you probably will not need to re-induct...it's done around here often without being confessed or discussed.

Many people in the forum eat a meal off-plan as often as weekly, others monthly, without any issues (we tend to keep it hush-hush because of the criticism or concerns it tends to stir up).

If you eat one off-plan meal, don't go hog-wild and return to plan the next meal/day, you will be just fine.

Amen! Ljguitar, I like your posts! It has happened to 99% of the people here, and while nobody would endorse "falling off the wagon", as there are many reasons not to, as delineated above, if you do, acknowledge it, accept it, and move on. *One* meal is not going to ruin a month's worth of progress; when I look back on all of my major weight loss on Atkins, I probably averaged one inadvertent cheat a month, and some people have actually posted that after a cheat meal, it seems to get the scale moving for them ( I can't possibly offer a scientific explanation for this, I'm only offering this as an anecdote.)

If you're in a social situation like a wedding, you obviously have a choice-to ride it through, white-knuckled, and not cheat, or just let go a little bit and have a piece of cake or whathaveyou. The important point is that you get right back on-otherwise, kiss your progress goodbye-and that's from personal experience! If we consider the Carbohydrate Addict's Diet- a plan you can lookup on this site, on that plan you can have one carby meal per day (disclaimer: I know I haven't represented each and every aspect of the plan, so caveat emptor; it's up to op to look it up.) So, with that in mind, if you were to lowcarb all the way up to the actual wedding, and get right back on the next meal, you would be doing minimal damage. It's like the principles of harm reduction-should one be completely on the wagon 100% of the time, or have a backup plan should they fall off the wagon? Most likely, given human nature, I personally think it's much more realistic to think that a cheat may probably happen sooner than later, and if you can plan for it and make a plan for getting right back on, psychologically this will serve you better in the long run. For a lot of people, including myself, if we get in the mindset that we'll never be "allowed" to have a piece of cake at a celebration or whatever, that will set us up for rebellion and failure. So, take that for what it is, and the choice is yours! Have fun at the wedding!
sfmama123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 03:26 PM   #22

Gallery: Houston Heather
Stats: 228/166/160 Waist: 42/31/31
WOE: Atkins 2002 Ongoing Weight Loss/pre maintenance
Start Date: Feb 26, 2008 (second and last time)
When I have eaten off plan, I had a horrible hangover feeling the next day. Ugh.

I like the other suggestions.
Houston Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 03:31 PM   #23

Quote:
Whether or not I eat primarily to lose weight, follow strict Atkins '72 or make up my own plan, the fact remains that I have still managed to drop over 85 pounds just eating and having fun the low carb way...and eating a meal off plan every 4-5 weeks.

It certainly has not derailed me, or thrown me back to induction, stirred up cravings, or apparently stalled the side-benefit of still providing weight loss and clothing size reduction. I'm not the only one who has successfully eaten meals off plan and am not guilt ridden about it.
I thought I was pretty clear in saying I'm not criticizing that at all. I think your planned meals work just fine for you--and I'm sure there are plenty of people who do this. If they don't speak up, we don't know they exist, though.

Just because different people have different opinions doesn't mean they're oblivious to the fact that lots of different options and choices exist out there in the world.

I think there's a difference between having certain meals be part of your plan for the right reasons and for the wrong reasons. To me, eating to please others is the wrong reason.
Old 12-07-2009, 03:32 PM   #24
something there

Gallery: cleochatra
Stats: 364/233/125 5'5" [44]
Start Date: August 31, 2012
Quote:
I just started low-carb low-fat diet, it's been a week now, induction symptoms finally got better and it feels great. So I plan to stay on this WOE, but I'm having a wedding anniversary after a few weeks. It won't be cool to sit and watch how everyone eats cake and other high-carb food. In fact all celebration will be ruined because they will worry why won't I eat.
But i definitely don't want to go through induction hell again.

Sorry for my bad english, it's not even my second language, but all the good stuff on the internet is in english, including this forum. Especially this forum
I applaud your forward thinking! One of the ways an intelligent person begins a lifestyle is to immediately consider how 'life' might get in the way.

I am not 100% convinced that you need to eat the cake, but if you have one small bite (ONE BITE) and push the rest around on your plate, you won't have to go through induction flu hell again.

If the bite turns into a slice, which turns into rolling around in the canapes and smearing your body a la Lady Gaga with various frostings, then you will know you have exceeded your tolerance level.

You might also want to consider a lower carb plan that is less stringent and which allows flours. Like Glycemic Load plans or the CAD that sfmama mentioned.

Welcome to LCF!

I've lost 131 pounds

My rinky dink blog for thinky thoughts and things of absolutely no consequence.
cleochatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 03:39 PM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

It's a matter of planning. Like I mentioned earlier, I fully intend on imbibing a good portion of mimosas and scorpion bowls this weekend. It, however, is my birthday and is an evening that I planned months ago and one that all my friends are coming to. I will feel like a gigantic party pooper if I plead diet all night long (and during brunch on Saturday.)

But. I'm still kind of trying to plan it out. We're going for dim sum, so I'm going to get the meatiest items and maybe just eat the filling from some dumplings. Scorpion bowls are scorpion bowls, they will be drunk.

And Saturday, I will have a cobb salad with my mimosas. They don't put much juice in there anyway. And maybe I can get a glass of champagne w/o juice altogther.

So, as far as I'm concerned, I'm sticking to my plan as best I can while still celebrating. Sunday, back 100%!

In fact, I'm avoiding a huge party tonight (with open bar) in order to save up for the weekend!
Old 12-07-2009, 03:42 PM   #26

Quote:
If you're in a social situation like a wedding, you obviously have a choice-to ride it through, white-knuckled, and not cheat, or just let go a little bit and have a piece of cake or whathaveyou.
Well, actually, there is another choice. You can enjoy yourself thoroughly without making food the central point of the event. It doesn't have to be a gritted-teeth, white-knuckled experience if you prepare yourself ahead of time and decide to have fun without the food.
Old 12-07-2009, 03:54 PM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: way2fluffy
Stats: 215/205/165
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: 12/28/13
Everybody is different.
If you might binge and not be able to 'go right back' to low carb eating, then it may be a risk you don't want to take.
For me (can't speak for others) I can eat off plan a day or a meal and then go right back to low carb. This is a 'life style' for me now...and I know that being human, sometimes I will not eat low carb (BUT I aim for 98.9% of the time!).
If I go off plan to excess---more than a little bit of high carb food makes me feel bad---low energy, insomnia etc., AND it stalls my already snail paced loss. But others can indulge routinely and still lose without problem.

I would be cautious about going off plan early in the process. You know yourself better than anyone else. Make an informed decision and evaluate how you do.
Good luck.

smile often---pray more---complain less
way2fluffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 04:44 PM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victrola View Post
It's a matter of planning. Like I mentioned earlier, I fully intend on imbibing a good portion of mimosas and scorpion bowls this weekend. It, however, is my birthday and is an evening that I planned months ago and one that all my friends are coming to. I will feel like a gigantic party pooper if I plead diet all night long (and during brunch on Saturday.)

But. I'm still kind of trying to plan it out. We're going for dim sum, so I'm going to get the meatiest items and maybe just eat the filling from some dumplings. Scorpion bowls are scorpion bowls, they will be drunk.

And Saturday, I will have a cobb salad with my mimosas. They don't put much juice in there anyway. And maybe I can get a glass of champagne w/o juice altogther.

So, as far as I'm concerned, I'm sticking to my plan as best I can while still celebrating. Sunday, back 100%!

In fact, I'm avoiding a huge party tonight (with open bar) in order to save up for the weekend!
Scorpion Bowls?! Are you going to Trader Sam's by any chance? Just reminiscing, from one SF native to another!
Old 12-07-2009, 04:52 PM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutte View Post
Well, actually, there is another choice. You can enjoy yourself thoroughly without making food the central point of the event. It doesn't have to be a gritted-teeth, white-knuckled experience if you prepare yourself ahead of time and decide to have fun without the food.
Thank you Peanutte! You are always the voice of reason. I wish I could move you into my house and have you remind me every time I am tempted to cheat-you make great sense!!! That being said, we're talking about human nature, and while you seem to have an exceptional grasp on your urges, the majority of people, including myself, have weak moments. Do these few moments define our failure or success? No, it's the amalgam of these moments which add up to the final analysis. Do I advocate cheating? In a perfect world, no. But, in my personal experience, when faced with a custom-made, beautiful, multi-layered cake, even me, in my strongest moments of resolve (coupled with a couple glasses of champagne, of course!) am going to have a difficult time of it. It pays to have options. It's hard *not* to make it about the food when the whole point of a wedding reception is the food. I give major kudos to those who can make it through such events without making it "about the food." But really, even having a piece of cake is not "making it about the food," It's about celebration, and given that it's a wedding, I really think that the cake is part of the celebration-YMMV of course. So, you can skip the cake, or have it. As long as op sticks to just a piece of cake, it's gonna be ok. And that's my point. But to deny oneself *each and every* celebratory piece of food for the rest of their lives sounds kind of dry to me. That's just my opinion.
Old 12-07-2009, 04:57 PM   #30
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfmama123 View Post
Scorpion Bowls?! Are you going to Trader Sam's by any chance? Just reminiscing, from one SF native to another!

Yes!! I love that place so much! And my friends are willing to risk the hangovers that those sorts of drinks usually cause!