LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2009, 12:26 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Capt. Carnivore
Stats: M / 5' 11" / 185 lbs.
WOE: VLC
Start Date: November 11, 2008
Can Flax Cause Bloating?

Last night I made a one minute muffin for the first time in several months. I used to eat these a few times per week last year when I first started LC'ing. But I decided to cut out artificial sweeteners at the time so I ditched the muffins. For the past 9 months, my menu has been mostly: meat, eggs, cheese, butter, olive oil and a few times per week a salad. I have had exceptional results eating like this.

I decided to last night to make one of these muffins and the ingredients in it that I haven't had in 9 months were ground flax seeds, 1 packet of splenda and a 1/2 tsp of baking soda.

Shortly after eating it, I had terrible discomfort in my stomach and felt bloated to the max.

I wonder what ingredient caused this?

All I know is I will not repeat this ever again. I haven't felt that horrible since before I started this WOE when I was at my highest weight ever.

Beef fundamentalist

Started at 360 miserable lbs. in November 2008 - Lost 175 lbs. - Now maintaining a solid 185 lbs. for life!

Last edited by Capt. Carnivore; 09-25-2009 at 12:27 PM..
Capt. Carnivore is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-2009, 12:45 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: pocahontas
Absolutely. I cant tolerate flax.
pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 12:46 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cabrioluvr
Stats: 18/8/6
WOE: Atkins!
Start Date: 03/2000
Absolutely for me too - I cannot tolerate it
cabrioluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 01:08 PM   #4
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Same here. I have trouble "going," and flax was suggested on these boards. While it may work that way for many people, all I get is gas and bloating--awful.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 04:42 PM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: FloridaShell
Stats: Grrr/Grrr/130
WOE: My own way of l/cing
Start Date: 1/2/08
No flax here!
FloridaShell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 04:58 PM   #6

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/142.5/135
WOE: HCG
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG 11/2013
Wow, so no grain or grain based fiber for a 3 seasons and you drop a flax bomb on yusself.
I'm not laughing at you but OUwwie. Yeah, you are gonna get bloated.

Flax is a super load of fiber. Both kinds of fiber, so while you now have a load of insoluble roughage pushing it's way through you, you've got a bucketload of insoluble fiber sucking up water and giving you a gushy smooshie texture in which to hold bubbles of air and gas and trap them as they are trying to pass through!

Ah ha ha ha, ohh, man, I'm feeling the burbles for you That doesn't mean that flax is bad thought. I remember that recipe, it calls for a LOT of flax. and your body is not used to that much. If you want to eat it, just add a teaspoon to your salad, or something where you want a bit of texture. Don't jump in with such a large amount of a powerful food like that, especially a grain/seed.

Maybe you ought freeze the rest of those and only take out one per day and just take a nibble here and there.

Feel better. You should have some interesting movements.

I used to eat 2 T per 6 oz of yogurt several times a day, but it was a regular part of my diet, and it did help with my regularity before I started using coconut oil and magnesium as regular supplements. I mostly liked the texture. but there's no need for that much fiber in one day. If you are eating them for the fiber for regularity, then just get rid of that recipe, There are better ways to move your bowels .
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898

Last edited by metqa; 09-25-2009 at 05:01 PM..
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 06:53 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TrinaBeena
Stats: 215/200/140
WOE: Atkins all the way, baby!
I have to drink a lot more water when I eat flax or I am the same way.
TrinaBeena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 09:15 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for the replies, ladies. I did some reading on flax; enough to know that I have absolutely no business associating with it ever again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by metqa View Post
Wow, so no grain or grain based fiber for a 3 seasons and you drop a flax bomb on yusself.
I'm not laughing at you but OUwwie. Yeah, you are gonna get bloated.

Flax is a super load of fiber. Both kinds of fiber, so while you now have a load of insoluble roughage pushing it's way through you, you've got a bucketload of insoluble fiber sucking up water and giving you a gushy smooshie texture in which to hold bubbles of air and gas and trap them as they are trying to pass through!

Ah ha ha ha, ohh, man, I'm feeling the burbles for you
You have quite a way with words! I like your sense of humor

I did indeed drop a flax bomb on myself and was blown to smithereens!
Old 09-26-2009, 06:05 AM   #9

Are you surviving?

Wow, VLC for 9 months, is impressive. Great Loss!
Old 09-26-2009, 07:39 AM   #10

Gallery: AllieCat0817
Stats: 213.5/142/137
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: 5/23/03
I used to eat flax ALOT (Bobs Red Mill ground flaxmeal). I ate it in my yogurt and one minute muffins. It did me good. But I quit out of estrogen hormone fears.

The other day I added just 2 tb to my morning yogurt and I was in BAD SHAPE the entire day. Tummy was a freakin mess, yeah bloated and all that. Guess I can't eat flax anymore.
AllieCat0817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 08:48 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jacky_ks
WOE: Low carb low cal
I have to drink boatloads of water when I eat flax. If I don't, I get that bloated discomfort feeling bad!

Maybe just add a tablespoon in with something else once or twice a week to start.

What are the estrogen fears AllieCat??
jacky_ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 02:02 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Faia
WOE: LC/Avoid Frankenfoods
Start Date: March 2009
This is from memory, so may be incomplete...

But from what I have read, fiber can expand up to 4x inside the digestive tract after eating, one contributor to bloating. Soluble fiber will tend to ferment, giving off gas, in the lower digestive tract, a second contributor to bloating.
Faia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 02:52 PM   #13

Gallery: AllieCat0817
Stats: 213.5/142/137
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: 5/23/03
I do not even remember the specifics @ the estrogen. I know there are possible hormonal effects for hypothyroid (which I am) but I can't remember any specifics...
AllieCat0817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 03:01 PM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jacksmixedtape
Stats: 160/140ish, 5'11"
WOE: gluten-free whole foods
Start Date: May 2007
I can't handle much flax either. My tummy protests!
jacksmixedtape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 03:07 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Nitebreez
Stats: 173/120/110 (4'11")
WOE: LC/VLC/LowCal/IF
Start Date: 2006
Absolutely NO flax here,...just can't do it. But then again,..I seem to have a very delicate system for much of anything. Thank goodness my "system" loves the low-carb life. I can't even do most veggies (even the very low-carb types like green beans). Just a tiny bit, and that's it for me. I must say, that since I've been doing low-carb (and VLC mostly)....I have felt soooo much better than I ever have before. So I can do without flax.
Nitebreez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 03:17 PM   #16
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: verbqueen
Stats: 224/163
WOE: LC/HF, for now
On my first round with Atkins, I ate those flax muffins all the time. I was struggling with what to eat for breakfast, since I strongly dislike eggs. I don't recall having any problem with them at all. BUT, I imagine my body was used to lots of fiber, since I had just switched to the low carb lifestyle.

This time, I'm like you--I've been eating very low carb for three months, with very little if any fiber. I was kind of contemplating making some of the muffins just for fun, but I think I'll learn from your suffering, and just say no. Thanks for serving as my "terrible example"!

My (old) HCG Journal

My NEW Journal
verbqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 04:50 PM   #17

Try this for fun

Take a clear glass and fill it with water then stir in a teaspoon of ground flax, then sit and wait. You will see how much water it absorbs and how thick it gets.

If I didn't eat my flax 'n yogurt within 5 minutes of mixing it, it would turn to glue. Great Fiber , but only if you are used to it.

After 10 minutes go look at that glass and see an example of what's going on inside of you. If your body is not used to that, you could imagine how shocked it might be!
Old 09-26-2009, 05:50 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Yes, I'm feeling much better now... thanks.

It took about 2 days to get past the misery. All I've eaten over the past 2 days were 4 beautiful and fatty steaks - which, of course, I had no problems with
Old 09-27-2009, 09:04 AM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jem51
Stats: oh so happy at 120
WOE: Mine, all mine
Start Date: controlled carb '97-98
i was on the flax train here a few years ago when it was 'the thing'.
not anymore!! all those lignans and other such fiber; not for me!
jem51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 07:19 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lighterbeing
Stats: 2much /...I rarely weigh.../160
WOE: Atkins most of the time
Start Date: June 2009
I love flax seeds, no problem for me. I just made the muffin recipe into a flat little loaf, double recipe. I use half ground flax and half ground almonds. I spread it with cream cheese, it is as good as any bread to me. However, I do not lose weight on the days I eat this...but tomorrow is another day!
lighterbeing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 06:41 PM   #21
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jasper
wow, this is amazing. I have been taking 2 teaspoons of ground flax in my cereal every morning. I used to drink a lot of water while I was on the flax, but I haven't been drinking as much. Boy, am I ever bloated. But I had no idea that the flax could be causing this bloating. It was actually getting quite embaressing. I am so glad I looked it up on the internet. I am hyopthyroid as well, and ever since I have been taking flax, my levels are all over the place. I couldn't figure out what was going on. My levels had remained the same for years. This all started since I started the flax. I think I may need to take a break from the flax. Although it has a lot of benefits, I don't think it is for me anymore. I haven't taken a break from flax for over a year, so I will take a break now and see what my body thinks. I truly hope stopping the flax, gets rid of all the gas and bloating. wish me luck
jasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 12:45 PM   #22
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: salsadancer
Stats: 158/117/112
WOE: South Beach
Start Date: May 2003
Flax seed gives me the squirts -- is that what some of you get, too?! Fiber has so many benefits, though, I want to try to get used to it. Have a look at this recent article about the benefits of fiber, not the least of which is weight loss:
Mark Hyman, MD: The Super Fiber That Controls Your Appetite and Blood Sugar

I had given up on flax seed but after this article came out, I am going to try introducing it in my diet in small quantities, like starting with a half-teaspoon a day and verrry gradually increasing it a little each week. Has anybody tried doing that?
salsadancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 06:58 PM   #23
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ljguitar
Stats: 350++/under 240/wherever 30 net carbs a day leads
WOE: 30 net carbs a day or less...unclean eating
Start Date: August 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by metqa View Post
Take a clear glass and fill it with water then stir in a teaspoon of ground flax, then sit and wait. You will see how much water it absorbs and how thick it gets.
Hi metqa…
I don't think the gelling effect of flax is what causes the bloat (whatever you choose to call it).

Chia seed gels far more and doesn't seem to bloat folks at all...it also doesn't cause diarrhea like flax can.

ljguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 07:12 PM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: MissG
Stats: 273/ 254 /170
WOE: Olivia's WOE
Start Date: Jan 6th 2014
It def. makes me feel full for HOURS! It also bumps me terribly! Tastes good though!
MissG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 07:43 PM   #25

why wouldn't it. I think the gelatinous fiber is an exellent medium for holding gas bubbles and liquid in the lower intestines which can contribute to the bloaty feeling people sometimes feel. if you drank plain water it'd get taken up by the kidneys but if it is trapped in soluble fiber that volume of liquid is going through the intestines. Someone not use to that sensation may indeed find it uncomfortable.

I don't know about chia seeds so I can't speak for them. But I can speak of what I have experienced with flax.

I never got diarrhea just very regular BM's

Last edited by metqa; 06-03-2010 at 07:44 PM..
Old 06-03-2010, 10:34 PM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Wow, this is an old thread. I haven't touched flax since last September 25th when I first started this thread
Old 06-04-2010, 08:25 AM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jessrose18
Stats: 204/187/160
WOE: Atkins
I have been eating a 1mm w/ 1/2 flax 1/2 almond flour almost everyday for 2 weeks. I don't ever feel bloated, it has helped me w/ constipation but I haven't lost a pound hmmm maybe I will stop for a week and see what happens. Any more info on the estrogen thing? I am curious if there is a connection w/ flax and my TOM coming every other week since I started this diet despite being on pill.
jessrose18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 01:43 PM   #28

I still occasionally toss it into a salad with my other seeds, or when I make cocoa bark, but I don't eat it as a supplement much anymore.
Old 06-08-2010, 11:48 AM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Blondey63
Stats: 199.5/180/152
WOE: Dukan
Start Date: 4-16-12
I am super bloated.......... has to be the flax.... I am so uncomfortable, it is horrible unsettling feeling. I need to stay away from this stuff I think. It tastes delicious but this horrible feeling is not worth it.
Blondey63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 01:04 PM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: vastamper
Stats: sw145/cw128/begin pre maint 125
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2010
I personally have no trouble with Flax. If you've not eaten any grains for a while you'd want to introduce it slowly.

I do think that your intestines loose some of the enzimes they need to digest certain things if you don't eat them for a long time. Like a vegetarian that eats a burger then gets an upset GI track.

Yeah I just compared the Steak Eating OP to a Vegetarian! LOL
vastamper is offline   Reply With Quote