Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2009, 07:01 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: DressageLover
Stats: 222/163/150, 5'10"
WOE: NK, VLC
Start Date: 1/29/99
Most filling low calorie low carb foods?

What do you think are the most filling low calorie, low carb foods?
I'd like some ideas. I'm counting calories (for the first time EVER!) and am having difficulty managing hunger.
I follow CAD so I can have things like fruit or nuts once/day, but other than that I'm limited to meat, cheese, and LC vegetables. I would add eggs to that list but they are giving me terrible stomach aches so I'm skipping those. I can't consume artificial sweeteners.
Any thoughts?
I heard costco has some pretty tasty, fairly low calorie turkey burgers.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-2009, 07:24 AM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SkeeterN
Stats: 4'10 and 170/115 (5 or so pounds up or down)
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2004
I have actually when I have already eaten my meals and still feel hungry taken metamucil. Don't scoff. Since you can't do artificial sweeteners use the plain in full glass of water. It swells in the stomach and will make you feel less hungry.

This link is about it too
Metamucil Weight Loss: A low cost alternative to FiberThin and ZetaCap?

Not that your obese but this is what the website is called.
SkeeterN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 07:25 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: huskerfan
WOE: Low Carb Lifestyle-whole foods
Start Date: 6/6/2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by DressageLover View Post
What do you think are the most filling low calorie, low carb foods?
I'd like some ideas. I'm counting calories (for the first time EVER!) and am having difficulty managing hunger.
I follow CAD so I can have things like fruit or nuts once/day, but other than that I'm limited to meat, cheese, and LC vegetables. I would add eggs to that list but they are giving me terrible stomach aches so I'm skipping those. I can't consume artificial sweeteners.
Any thoughts?
I heard costco has some pretty tasty, fairly low calorie turkey burgers.
Not sure if this helps but big salads fill me up(and they're only 300 cals or so). I use a couple of cups of red/green lettuce, peppers, onions, mushrooms, cucumbers, a sprinkle of cheese, 2-3 oz. grilled chicken and 1T of italian dressing. If I eat this for lunch I am stuffed, and stay full until dinner time.
huskerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 07:27 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: WildflowerMama
Stats: 185.5/143.2/revised to 140
Start Date: Nov 2006
I'm a calorie counter and this is one of my biggest challenges. You want to focus on protein and fat - just less fat than regular atkins.

Tuna with a bit of mayo eaten with some celery sticks or red pepper strips or over a salad.
1/2 cup full fat plain yogurt with some berries.
Protein shakes - I make mine with 1/2 cup homemade full fat kefir (only 80 calories) and some flax (the fiber will help fill you up) and it's around 250 calories.
Beans are another good one when used sparingly - they are very filling so you can add 1/8 - 1/4 cup to a salad and get some good bulk with not many calories.

Losing weight is hard, but being fat is harder. Choose your hard.

Don't sit if you can stand. Don't stand if you can walk. Don't walk if you can run. Get Moving!
WildflowerMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 09:14 AM   #5

Gallery: Ilpirata
I watch my calories also in combination with low carbing. Some of my go to filling low cal low carb "meals"

Two eggs scrambled in olive oil cooking spray with 1 cup of cooked broccoli mixed in. I top with salsa.

Big Dark leafy green salad with a dressing I make combining ranch with balsamic. I add one cup of cooked chicken and its quite filling.

Raw vegetables (celery & red pepper are my favorites) with Trader Joe's spicy hummus dip

2-3 Hebrew National 97% fat free hot dogs

4 Trader Joe's turkey meatballs (100 cals for 2) mixed with 1 cup cooked green beans
Ilpirata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 09:24 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Redeemed
WOE: low carb - 1400 calories
Can you have NuStevia? I don't like regular stevia at all. But this tasts exactly like sugar to me. Here's a very filling treat that I use.

in a sauce pan:

1 oz. 85% unsweetened chocolate
1 cup unsweetened almond milk or sf Almond Breeze
Nustevia to taste.
Heat until chocolate is melted, stir well.

I sometimes strain this through a small cup strainer to get the undissolved chocolate that didn't mix with the Nustevia. Or, If I feel like a little more work, I put it in the blender after the chocolate has melted. This tastes like a groumet treat to me. Almond Breeze only has about 30-35 calories for 8 oz.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 04:14 PM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: jeaniem
Stats: 166/145.6/?
WOE: lc
Tuna w/dukes mayo and some onion holds me for hours or a few ounces of chicken thighs and a cheesestick.
jeaniem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 04:59 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Great ideas! Thank you! It's been challenging "budgeting" calories all day. The metamucil idea is interesting. If I'm out of calories and hungry before bed, that may do the trick.
I did end up picking up some turkey burgers today at costco. They have 200 calories each and 35g of protein.
DressageLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 05:03 PM   #9
something there

Gallery: cleochatra
Stats: 364/233/125 5'5" [44]
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: August 31, 2012
Plain, high fat yogurt with a couple of sliced strawberries
Babybel cheese
Homemade beef jerky
A homemade flax cracker with a schmear of cream cheese
cleochatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 05:29 PM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: DENMW
Stats: 243/155/139 5'4", Age 62
WOE: Vegan
I slice cucumbers very thin with a mandoline and add apple cider vinegar and stevia and keep it in the fridge. It is refreshing and sweet and very low calorie.
DENMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 05:37 PM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ny_shelly
Stats: 320.4/312.2/135 ~ 5'6"
WOE: Dukan Diet
Start Date: 8/26/11 Day 1
I made the flax muffin in a square sandwich container so it came out as bread and then made a grilled turkey sandwich. It was super filling. I thought the flax thing smelled and looked gross while it was cooking but grilled it tasted super good.

Tonight I had mashed cauliflower (1/4 head of cauliflower - cooked 2x 5 minutes in microwave, tad of cheddar cheese, a tad of cream cheese, a tad of cream) plus a filet mignon. I only at 3/4 cup of the cauli and 3/4 of the filet and I was stuffed.

I never get stuffed.
Old 08-13-2009, 07:19 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joy-FL
Stats: 223/175/140
Start Date: July 30, 2009
Shirataki noodles!!!
Joy-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 07:40 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ozdancer
Stats: 235/148.5/148-143
WOE: Atkins OWL
Start Date: now: 21 March 2009 last time: April 2002
I don't calorie count, but my tuna salad is low and fills me up. Tuna slices in olive oil, drained off apart from a little used as dressing, baby spinach, 1/2 tomato diced, stick celery & some parmesan cheese. HTH
ozdancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 07:44 PM   #14

Gallery: NeverGoinBack
Stats: 310/132/140 5'8''
WOE: ZC-Love my meat!
-Chicken sausage! The kind I eat has only 110 calories and 2-5 grams of fat depending on the flavor.

-Low fat cottage cheese

-A whole wheat pita toasted in the oven with a slice of tomato and a Laughing Cow cheese wedge on top
NeverGoinBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 08:36 PM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Strawberry
I was just going to mention the Laughing Cow light cheese wedges - they are "light" but they dont have any added corn syrup or weird ingredients.
Strawberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 09:25 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RoseofSharon
Stats: 140/118/118
WOE: lc with my own tweaks
Start Date: summer 2006
I watch calories too. It comes with perimenopause!

My stand-by foods I love:

1) Cabbage!!! Low in calories, low in carbs, very filling and nutritious. I add shredded cabbage to stir fries, casseroles, salads, well, everything! If you are in a hurry the bagged shreds make many quick meals. One of our favorite is a bag of shredded cabbage sauteed in a little butter, then mixed with just a few spoonfuls of alfredo sauce and leftover chicken or shrimp. Put this in a pan and top with parmesan. Broil for a few minutes and you have an easy, low calorie and low carb dinner.

2) other veggies like cauliflower, squash, zucchini and spinach. There are a million recipes and if you limit the high calories stuff (like cheese) you are mostly good to go.

3) For me adding good amounts of protein is crucial. So I stuff an omelet with spinach. Or add lots of chicken to a salad. For me it is the combination of protein and low calorie veggies that works. Fish and seafood satisfy me like no other, especially luxuries like fresh crab, oysters and shrimp.
RoseofSharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 02:03 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Mmm. The cabbage alfredo and laughing cow cheese sound really good!
DressageLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 04:43 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Dovelette
WOE: Atkins OWL, Current HCG R1P2
Start Date: WLS 4/20/2004, Atkins 3/31/09, HCG 4/9/13
I also agree with cabbage. I use it with everything and it's very low cal in addition to being a fairly low carb veggie as well. I have a great recipe that you mix cabbage with some veggies (onions, red and green peppers, a bit of carrot if it's on your plan) and toss it with cilantro, vinegar, a bit of cumin, cayenne and splenda (I do it all to taste). VERY low cal (like 40 calories a serving), or if you aren't as worried about calories you can cut the vinegar with oil, or whatever works for you (the original recipe called for oil and sugar, I just cut out the oil and subbed splenda...are you able to use stevia?).

I'll also use cabbage as a "base" instead of rice or pasta (since it's pretty much the only veggie we always have available here...).

Also...skinless chicken breasts, turkey breasts and most fish are all very low in calories, high in protein and are YUMMY!

Oh and for me a lot of times it's the flavor that makes me happy and satisfies so don't skimp on spices, especially hot sauces! I love to mix just plain chicken broth, a bit of vinegar and some hot sauce. Yum.

Hot and sour soup made with cabbage is super low cal too (chicken, cabbage, vinegar, hot pepper flakes, water, bouillon). And as someone else mentioned, big salads in general are low cal and filling - a couple cups of lettuce, other veggies, some chopped up chicken or other meat, a hard boiled egg, and make your own dressing so you control the amount of oil and additives. You can make a very large, very filling, very delicious salad for 200 calories or less. Focus on flavor here too, by adding fresh herbs!

Last edited by Dovelette; 08-14-2009 at 04:45 AM..
Dovelette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 04:57 AM   #19

Gallery: CurlsNCuffs
Start Date: April 2, 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkeeterN View Post
I have actually when I have already eaten my meals and still feel hungry taken metamucil. Don't scoff. Since you can't do artificial sweeteners use the plain in full glass of water. It swells in the stomach and will make you feel less hungry.

This link is about it too
Metamucil Weight Loss: A low cost alternative to FiberThin and ZetaCap?

Not that your obese but this is what the website is called.
Interesting article - thanks for posting!

SkeeterN - does it uh, make you "go"? :blush:
CurlsNCuffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 07:24 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MNLisaB
Stats: 222/155/140??
WOE: low carb, portion control
Start Date: 9/1/06
queen of cabbage

Count another vote for cabbage- cheap, filling, very versatile. I get the shredded mix from Sam's - keeps way longer than salad mix and usually have a head or two in the house. I use the mix in salads as a lettuce sub and in stir fries and other hot dishes.

Oh, did I mention another benefit- so much natural fiber you may not need to use psyllium, etc.
MNLisaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 07:33 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: surrealchereal
Red Cabbage, chopped and drizzled with nothing more than olive oil and some salt.
It sounds so plain but it's delicious and takes a long time to each and really satisfies that "need to chew" I get.
surrealchereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 09:11 AM   #22

Turkey Jerky (Trader Joe's Brand) smeared with Laughing Cow Light Garlic and Herb cheese (35 cals per wedge)

Bison Burger (Trader Joe's) - 200cals
Old 08-14-2009, 09:20 AM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Dovelette
WOE: Atkins OWL, Current HCG R1P2
Start Date: WLS 4/20/2004, Atkins 3/31/09, HCG 4/9/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilpirata View Post
Turkey Jerky (Trader Joe's Brand) smeared with Laughing Cow Light Garlic and Herb cheese (35 cals per wedge)
Uh, and you're going to mail me some of that, right Kisha?
Dovelette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 09:23 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dovelette View Post
Uh, and you're going to mail me some of that, right Kisha?
YOU POOR THING! I swear I am obsessed with Trader Joe's (I do 99% of my grocery shopping there). I am totally sad face for anyone who doesn't have a Trader Joe's.... and there you are without even a regular grocery store!
Old 08-14-2009, 09:29 AM   #25
Always on, slightly off

Gallery: CindyCRNA
Stats: 152/132/121 Currently 120's lbs, 5'7" 51 years old
WOE: 35%/25%/45% (F,P,C 1850 calories/day)
Start Date: Raising carbs 1/10
I'm not sure how LC you are (I do 50-70 net carbs a day) but I eat this EVERY morning. Talk about full! I have found nothing that keeps me as full for as long. It's ridiculous because I have a large appetite. I make a large Belgium waffle with Maple Groves Farms SF pancake and waffle mix. I use 1 cup of mix which is 3 servings (!) but you can start with 1/2 cup of mix. Here are the stats for 1 cup of mix:

Calories: 360
Fat: 7.5 grams
Carbs: 33
Fiber: 15
Net Carbs: 18
Protein: 45 grams (!)

To make, you mix water and 1 egg so add the egg to the above. I had to work with it just a tiny bit to get the consistency right, it should be barely pourable, but you are stuffed for hours, hours I say! Sorry if I'm going on but this has been a lifesaver in the hunger department. It is available at Netrition.

On an off topic, I have a 9 year old Thoroughbred I have just started to cross country jump.

Last edited by CindyCRNA; 08-14-2009 at 09:31 AM.. Reason: More to add
CindyCRNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 09:48 AM   #26
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jacksmixedtape
Stats: 160/140ish, 5'11"
WOE: gluten-free whole foods
Start Date: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by surrealchereal View Post
Red Cabbage, chopped and drizzled with nothing more than olive oil and some salt.
It sounds so plain but it's delicious and takes a long time to each and really satisfies that "need to chew" I get.
IA about cabbage! Takes forever to eat and is so filling. I eat about 3 cups shredded cabbage with breakfast every morning, usually fried in 1/2 tablespoon bacon grease.

Any LC veggies, really. Dip 'em in watered down salad dressing or mustard. Deli meat are pretty low in calories as well. Try wrapping veggies in cold cuts for a filling snack!
jacksmixedtape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 10:09 AM   #27

Gallery: CurlsNCuffs
Start Date: April 2, 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyCRNA View Post
I'm not sure how LC you are (I do 50-70 net carbs a day) but I eat this EVERY morning. Talk about full! I have found nothing that keeps me as full for as long. It's ridiculous because I have a large appetite. I make a large Belgium waffle with Maple Groves Farms SF pancake and waffle mix. I use 1 cup of mix which is 3 servings (!) but you can start with 1/2 cup of mix. Here are the stats for 1 cup of mix:

Calories: 360
Fat: 7.5 grams
Carbs: 33
Fiber: 15
Net Carbs: 18
Protein: 45 grams (!)

To make, you mix water and 1 egg so add the egg to the above. I had to work with it just a tiny bit to get the consistency right, it should be barely pourable, but you are stuffed for hours, hours I say! Sorry if I'm going on but this has been a lifesaver in the hunger department. It is available at Netrition.

On an off topic, I have a 9 year old Thoroughbred I have just started to cross country jump.

THIS sounds awesome - which mix do you use? I just ordered something from them but, can't remember the name - I'm hoping it is it - I will check the cabinet when I get home!
CurlsNCuffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 10:40 AM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Starzmom
Stats: 168.5/164/148
A can of sardines is about 150 calories. They satisfy me. Maybe they'd work for you,too?
I don't know why but one hard boiled egg either combined with or along side of 1/2 cup cottage cheese fills me up. This is also about 150 calories.
Also low cal cold cuts wrapped around a spoonful of Fat Free cream cheese. This is basically all protein, low in calories and filling.

Last edited by Starzmom; 08-14-2009 at 10:43 AM..
Starzmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 10:41 AM   #29

1 cup 2% Fage Greek Yogurt (150 cals)
mixed with 2 TBS sugar free Jok N Al Fruit Spread.

nom!nom!nom!
Old 08-14-2009, 12:00 PM   #30
Always on, slightly off

Gallery: CindyCRNA
Stats: 152/132/121 Currently 120's lbs, 5'7" 51 years old
WOE: 35%/25%/45% (F,P,C 1850 calories/day)
Start Date: Raising carbs 1/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurlsNCuffs View Post
THIS sounds awesome - which mix do you use? I just ordered something from them but, can't remember the name - I'm hoping it is it - I will check the cabinet when I get home!
This one:Maple Grove Farms Low Carb Sugar Free Pancake and Waffle Mix
CindyCRNA is offline   Reply With Quote