LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2009, 02:20 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lulu2009
Stats: 192/192/140ish
WOE: Atkins....again
Start Date: 9/27/09
low-carb pregnancy??

ok guys i have a question. my dh and i have been married for a year in september. he has really been pushing the kids issue lately-which is fine we both want kids badly but i want to get down to my goal weight first. but im worried that im gonna get down to goal, get pregnant and gain it all back and have to start over. so i guess my question is low carbing while pregnant?? a healthy option? maybe then i could get down to goal and continue to low carb while pregnant and not gain too much weight.....but of course i want be as healthy as possible... HELP!

mini goal 180...[COLOR="Red"]180!!...[COLOR="Blue"]mini goal 170...[/COLOR][/COLOR]
lulu2009 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-2009, 02:26 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: pocahontas
I am in the same situation, we have been married a year and a half. I plan on following Atkins Maintenance (grain free due to allergies) and hope that will keep my weight down. In the meantime I am trying to lose as much as possible before we start trying this fall. Good luck!
pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 02:27 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: brewstate
Stats: 238/192/129
WOE: LC JUDDD (started at 190)
Start Date: April 15, 2009
I may get yelled at for this but I would say that most carbs (aka refined foods) are not healthy for you anyway. I don't know that you could do atkins per say and I would definately add in lots of fresh fruits and veggies maybe some brown rice but I don't really think the body requires bread to survive. So at long as you at healthy quantities of meat, cheese, veggies, fruits, etc. then you would be perfectly fine. I quit south beach when I was pregnant because I was told it wasn't "healthy" (although bear claws apparently are) and I've regretted it ever since. I gained all my weight back and ate much worse than if I had just stuck with what I was doing.

I know that if you get pregnant and have gestational diabetes they put you on a low carb diet anyway so it can't be that bad for you.
Old 05-12-2009, 02:39 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

THANK YOU GUYS!! and good luck pocahontas!! we are excited about trying to get pregnant when i lose some weight. but i think you guys are right- a healthy diet of veggies, fruit, and meat has to be healthier then what some other women eat while pregnant!
Old 05-12-2009, 02:45 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ChaseMama
Stats: 182/165.4/145
WOE: This week.... who knows?
Start Date: 2/2/2009
Just eat whole, unprocessed foods, no sugar, and you'll stay fairly low carb. No pasta, breads, etc. If you need a carb, go for sweet potatoes or something along those lines.
ChaseMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 02:47 PM   #6

Gallery: Maryposa
Stats: 355/181.0/169
WOE: VSG + NK
Start Date: 1997; Recommit May 2007 @355; VSG March 2010
There is a yahoo group, PregnantAtkids : For low-carb'ers who are pregnant, nursing, or actively trying to get pregnant. of low carbing moms-to-be. Discussions include the normalcy of being in ketosis while pregnant, the safety of LC during pregnancy, etc. Not everyone agrees but everyone pipes in with their thoughts and experiences, and they are very respectful of other's choices. It is not a super super busy group, but if you ask questions you are sure to get answers.

Also there is an expecting mommies thread right here on LCF where not everyone is following LC, BUT you are more likely to find pregnant low carbers than general pregnancy boards on the net.http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/wo...ay-2009-a.html

I hope those help.

I want to get pregnant in a year or so.... I won't be at goal by then, but I would like to lose maybe 40lb or 2 sizes before then. Anyway, I plan to "maintain" my weight while pregnant and my Dr. said that is fine for someone my weight. I plan to maintain it with my current diet plus a few more calories and an extra serving of veggie or fruit.

10 sizes lost, 1 or 2 to go!
See my weight loss progress on youtube!
my youtube channel for my post-op weight loss surgery (VSG) journey

Last edited by Maryposa; 05-12-2009 at 02:49 PM..
Maryposa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 02:48 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: uclangel422
Stats: Restart = 145/140/125 ~ 5'0
WOE: low carb/gluten free
We are making the same decisions now too. Married for 6 months now and my husband is baby crazy! Well i am too, but it is easier to blame him.

I just want to be healthy for a baby obviously but part of me is wondering how much i will gain back (all?) and if i will be able to get it off again afterwards.
uclangel422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 03:02 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: laceymichelle
Stats: 150/127/125
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: July 12
you may look Into Suzanne Somers diet. It is essentially low carb but incorporated whole grains. That's what I'm doing and I'm pregnant
laceymichelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 05:05 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ellief
Stats: 128/114/105
WOE: Clean Atkins, no dairy or frankenfoods
im ttc as well and am sticking ot low carb all the way. the hardest part is ditching the artificial sweeteners since we're trying now. . . but without them, i havent even been craving. i guess they were causing some cravings and i didnt even realize it.
once we get pregnant, i plan on incorporating a serving of a fruit, btu that's more because i love fruit and have been missing it on atkins.
if i get an insane craving, im willing to give in to it. . once or twice a month. no reason to completely deprive yourself as long as 90% of your eating is healthful.
good luck to you!

happily married and healthy just looking to lose those honeymoon pounds and keep my family healthy
ellief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 06:29 PM   #10
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jbbaby
Stats: 236/232/160
Start Date: Restart April 28, 2011
We're also ttc - just had our 2-year anniversary. I had an ectopic pregnancy last year, so I only have one fallopian tube left, and I'll be 42 this summer, so my odds aren't good ... but it's fun to try! (Send good thoughts and/or prayers our way, please!)

I've been a little worried about following LC if I get pregnant, because I have been reading about possible adverse affects of ketosis on the fetus. The studies seem to be conflicting, so I don't really know what to believe.
jbbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 06:41 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Lylotte
Stats: Meh/0/not meh at all!
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Every morning
I'm TTC #2 myself.. and currently on Atkins Induction levels.. I plan to just add in fruit, all veggies and a small amount of low glycemic carbs in to my WOE while pregnant but no sugars or white flours etc... but at my size I can easily maintain or even lose a few pounds during a pregnancy and the doctor will not bat an eyelid.. if you are at goal, in the sense of being at an appropriate weight for your body size then the doctor will probably not want you to lose and might encourage you to put on a few pounds during the pregnancy.. BUT there are sites online where you can see how much everything weights, like the average placenta and average blood increase etc to know what is the 'appropriate' amount of weight to gain if at goal and know that it'll basically all go away shortly after delivery.

It's easy to say how you will eat though when you are not pregnant.. those cravings can be CRAZY and your hormones are all out of whack.. you just have to do the best you can to have a healthy baby and if that means gaining some weight then isn't the price worth it?

Last edited by Lylotte; 05-12-2009 at 06:44 PM..
Lylotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 09:31 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbbaby View Post
We're also ttc - just had our 2-year anniversary. I had an ectopic pregnancy last year, so I only have one fallopian tube left, and I'll be 42 this summer, so my odds aren't good ... but it's fun to try! (Send good thoughts and/or prayers our way, please!)

I've been a little worried about following LC if I get pregnant, because I have been reading about possible adverse affects of ketosis on the fetus. The studies seem to be conflicting, so I don't really know what to believe.
Even non-lc women with morning sickness go into ketosis. Ketosis is something that the human body has always thrived on. I am not saying that our ancestors were ALWAYS in ketosis but they certianly were SOMETIMES in ketosis, even during pregnancy. I understand the concern but I personally feel at peace about it. Also, you can do LC maintenance (NOT be in ketosis). Did you read the links that I posted previously? I know there are "concerns" out there, but did you read any actual STUDIES that show that ketosis is BAD for the baby in any way??? I haven't found one! Of course if you have found one I would love to see it.

Last edited by Maryposa; 05-13-2009 at 09:33 AM..
Old 05-13-2009, 09:43 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

thank you everyone for your opinions on this subject!!and maryposa to answer your question i have heard from some people that ketosis is horrible when pregnant, and then heard from others that being in ketosis is perfectly safe. of course these are just opinions. my opinion is mostly like yours- i feel like low carbing at a maintenance level would be perfectly safe. of course im not a doctor so i was hoping to hear what my support group thought of this and if anyone here has been through a low carb pregnancy.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:48 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulu2009 View Post
thank you everyone for your opinions on this subject!!and maryposa to answer your question i have heard from some people that ketosis is horrible when pregnant, and then heard from others that being in ketosis is perfectly safe. of course these are just opinions. my opinion is mostly like yours- i feel like low carbing at a maintenance level would be perfectly safe. of course im not a doctor so i was hoping to hear what my support group thought of this and if anyone here has been through a low carb pregnancy.
Ya well there are those individuals who are afraid of ketosis even if it is an adult making thier own decision, throw a baby in the equation and you might encounter hysteria. But they have no solid evidence that they are right. On the other hand, there IS some evidence that it might be GOOD for the developing baby.

Check out the links - one of them is a study (of course it was done on rats because no one in their right mind would create a doulbe blind study on human babies! that would just be wrong) anyway it's showing that low carb high fat is beneficial to developing babies even as they grow to adults and make high carb food choices their blood fats and sugars are better than those who's mothers at high carb during gestation.

Also there are women out there who did stay in ketosis their entire pregnancy and have healthy babies. One of the links I posted is one of their stories.

Last edited by Maryposa; 05-13-2009 at 09:51 AM..
Old 05-13-2009, 09:52 AM   #15

PS I would never push a woman to chose to be in ketosis while pregnant if she were not at peace about it. I just wanted to share some info and stories to help you make your decision
Old 05-13-2009, 10:00 AM   #16
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jbbaby
Stats: 236/232/160
Start Date: Restart April 28, 2011
Maryposa, here are the studies I've read so far ... although they (of course!) don't reach the same conclusion as each other. And I haven't found anything more recent than 1991, but I haven't done a comprehensive literature review. (Won't do that unless I actually get pregnant and need to learn more!)

Churchill JA, Berendes HW, Nemore J: Neuropsychological deficits in children of diabetic mothers: a report from the Collaborative Study of Cerebral Palsy. Am J Obstet Gynecol 105: 257–268, 1969

Jovanovic L, Peterson CM: Sweet success, but an acid after taste? N Engl J Med 325: 959–960, 1991

Rizzo T, Metzger BE, Burns WJ, Burns K: Correlations between antepartum maternal metabolism and intelligence of offspring. N Engl J Med 325: 911–916, 1991
jbbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 10:08 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbbaby View Post
Maryposa, here are the studies I've read so far ... although they (of course!) don't reach the same conclusion as each other. And I haven't found anything more recent than 1991, but I haven't done a comprehensive literature review. (Won't do that unless I actually get pregnant and need to learn more!)

Churchill JA, Berendes HW, Nemore J: Neuropsychological deficits in children of diabetic mothers: a report from the Collaborative Study of Cerebral Palsy. Am J Obstet Gynecol 105: 257–268, 1969

Jovanovic L, Peterson CM: Sweet success, but an acid after taste? N Engl J Med 325: 959–960, 1991

Rizzo T, Metzger BE, Burns WJ, Burns K: Correlations between antepartum maternal metabolism and intelligence of offspring. N Engl J Med 325: 911–916, 1991
Hm, OK I looked and it seems like these are about Maternal diabetes, which I would not be surprised if it did cause problems? I am talking about ketosis in non-diabetic women. Also I am thinking that low carb will decrease chances of gestational diabetes? Though I know that is just a thought and of course I could be wrong.
Old 05-13-2009, 10:08 AM   #18

Thanks for all the info ladies! I am almost certain that I may be in ketosis from time to time when I get pregnant because I dont eat grains and the only additions to my current diet will be a little fruit and maybe another serving of veggies. I am ok with it though because I know I am eating the best way possible for my body.

Lylotte - I have often wondered if I might perhaps lose weight while pregnant. I am roughly your weight now and Im sure my doc wont have a problem with it. Wasnt it Cleochatra that said she lost like 80lbs with her pregnancies? I could only be so lucky, LOL!

Old 05-13-2009, 10:11 AM   #19

OH! I just realized that my links to the rat study and ketosis during pregnancy success stories were deleted! ! I wonder why? None of them were selling anything?

Anyway the rat study was from 2004. If you do a google search though I am sure you can find it.
Old 05-13-2009, 11:11 AM   #20

Gallery: fawn
Increase your omega 3's
Make sure your DHA is in order especially
take your folic acid now!
fawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 11:22 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Old 05-13-2009, 11:40 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member

WOE: Stubborn Fat Fix
Start Date: 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by pocahontas View Post
Thanks for all the info ladies! I am almost certain that I may be in ketosis from time to time when I get pregnant because I dont eat grains and the only additions to my current diet will be a little fruit and maybe another serving of veggies. I am ok with it though because I know I am eating the best way possible for my body.

Lylotte - I have often wondered if I might perhaps lose weight while pregnant. I am roughly your weight now and Im sure my doc wont have a problem with it. Wasnt it Cleochatra that said she lost like 80lbs with her pregnancies? I could only be so lucky, LOL!
Here are some of the articles I wrote when I worked at Atkins and was pregnant, I hope they still work:

A Mother-to-be Does Atkins, Atkins Nutritionals Inc., October 2002http://atkins.com/Archive/2002/10/25-756904.html

Foods to Avoid in Pregnancy, Atkins Nutritionals Inc., October 2002
http://atkins.com/Archive/2002/10/25-356418.html

Vitanutrients for Pregnancy, Atkins Nutritionals Inc., October 2002
http://atkins.com/Archive/2002/10/25-138886.html

My kids are healthy, I had twins!
low carb dietitian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 11:48 AM   #23

Hi Valerie! I am glad you piped in. Those links do not work. I did a google search and found the first one. I will post it here. I will look for the others.
Old 05-13-2009, 11:48 AM   #24

From the Atkins website:

A Mother-to-Be Does Atkins
Valerie Berkowitz, M.S., R.D., C.D.E.
On October 23, supervisor of education and research for Atkins Health & Medical Information Services Valerie Berkowitz gave birth to twins. Gabrielle and Aiden weighed in at 5 and 6 pounds, respectively. Congratulations to Valerie and her husband, Keith. While she was expecting, Val was more careful than ever about her eating habits.

I'm pregnant? I'm pregnant! A million and one questions are racing through my head as my joy competes with twinges of concern. There’s one thing I'm sure of: that I'll be able to provide my babies—I'm having twins—with the best environment in which to grow.

I’m a registered dietitian and certified diabetes educator, so nutrition is what I do best. I understand the importance of eating adequate amounts of a variety of nutrient-rich foods—and there is nothing more important to a growing fetus than good nutrition. I have been following a controlled carbohydrate lifestyle for several years and will continue to do so throughout my pregnancy. During pregnancy I’m following the guidelines of the Lifetime Maintenance phase of the Atkins Nutritional Approach™, which is the most liberal in carbohydrate intake. (The weight-loss phases of Atkins are not appropriate for pregnant or lactating women.) This phase will not only ensure normal growth for my babies and help prevent potential complications, such as neural-tube defects and gestational diabetes. It will also keep me healthy.

As you can see from my typical daily menu, listed below, I am eating lots of food with lots of variety, so I’m getting plenty of nutrients. My usual intake ranges between 100 and 150 grams of protein, 70 to 90 grams of carbs and approximately 1,800 to 2,000 calories. Interestingly, I have none of the cravings for specific foods that often plague pregnant women. Nor am I turned off by certain foods, another common side effect of pregnancy. After my first trimester my energy level was fine, meaning that I had no need to nap in the middle of the day. I attribute all these positive effects to my diet. For more information on having a healthy pregnancy, see Vitanutrients for Pregnancy and Foods to Avoid in Pregnancy.

Breakfast

1/2 avocado

Smoked salmon rolled around a teaspoon of cream cheese

Sliced tomato and onion

Midmorning snack

2 meatballs on Atkins bread

Lunch

Large salad made of greens, tomato, cucumber, artichoke, asparagus, mushrooms, broccoli, red cabbage, walnuts and onion, dressed with olive or flaxseed oil and vinegar

Chicken breast cutlet

Midafternoon snack

Berries with cottage cheese

Dinner

Steak

Sautéed spinach and red peppers in garlic and oil

Steamed asparagus

Peach

Snack Time

Even with years of nutrition education under my rapidly expanding belt, when I was feeling tired and nauseous in the early months I sometimes found it hard to eat the right foods. That’s why it is important to have a few light, high-protein foods handy at all times. My favorites are:

Cottage cheese served with melon cubes, grapefruit, strawberries or blueberries
1/2 tablespoon peanut butter with 1/3 banana or 1 teaspoon of low-carb strawberry jam on Atkins bread
Atkins Advantage™ Bars
Atkins™ Strawberry Shake
Sliced turkey (or any other sliced meat) rolled up with lettuce, tomato and cucumber
Hard-boiled eggs
1/2 tuna salad sandwich on Atkins bread and 1/2 cup whole milk
2 high-protein veggie burgers with mustard
Tofu with tomato and cheese
Nuts or seeds

Valerie Berkowitz, M.S., R.D., C.D.E., is supervisor of education and research at Atkins Health & Medical Information Services.
Old 05-13-2009, 11:57 AM   #25

Couldn't find the other two
Also did a "search" on the "new" Atkins site and found no matches. I even tried the word "pregancy" by itself and found 0 matches.

Last edited by Maryposa; 05-13-2009 at 12:01 PM..
Old 05-13-2009, 12:04 PM   #26
Senior LCF Member

what a helpful article!! this is such an inspiration!!
Old 05-13-2009, 01:47 PM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TXUKGal
Stats: (Highest 353) 297/245/175 (maybe 150)
WOE: Atkins OWL
Start Date: May 2008
This topic has been on my mind recently. DH and I have been married for many years and have just made a decision to TTC. I've always put it off because of being overweight and then becoming diabetic. In fact, I recently posted on one of the other areas here about delaying pregnancy because of weight, so if anyone has any thoughts on that please feel free to post or PM me.

I do know that if I become pregnant, I would want to keep as low carb as I safely could. I don't want to use pregnancy as an excuse to eat whatever. Besides, keeping low carb will help keep my blood glucose level more even since I'll need to be regulated since I'll have to go from pills to insulin while pregnant. If anyone has any stories of being a type 2 diabetic and being pregnant please share if you're willing (maybe in a PM so as not to thread jack).

I may not be to goal when we conceive but I want to be under 200lbs before trying. I'd really like to be 150-170lbs to be at my optimal.
Old 05-13-2009, 02:13 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXUKGal View Post
This topic has been on my mind recently. DH and I have been married for many years and have just made a decision to TTC. I've always put it off because of being overweight and then becoming diabetic. In fact, I recently posted on one of the other areas here about delaying pregnancy because of weight, so if anyone has any thoughts on that please feel free to post or PM me.

I do know that if I become pregnant, I would want to keep as low carb as I safely could. I don't want to use pregnancy as an excuse to eat whatever. Besides, keeping low carb will help keep my blood glucose level more even since I'll need to be regulated since I'll have to go from pills to insulin while pregnant. If anyone has any stories of being a type 2 diabetic and being pregnant please share if you're willing (maybe in a PM so as not to thread jack).

I may not be to goal when we conceive but I want to be under 200lbs before trying. I'd really like to be 150-170lbs to be at my optimal.
I talked to my doctor (ObGyn) about wanting to lose more weight before I get pregnant. She asked me (in a mild way, not sarcastic) to think about whether or not I really can. She said it would be best, but to not put off pregnancy if I have doubts that I can lose weight. She did not know my history (that I have lost quite alot of weight) and I thought it's a good question. If someone has a history of yo-yo dieting and not really getting anywhere, it would be a bad idea to delay pregnancy... unless you are, like... 19. Not 31 like me
Old 05-13-2009, 03:55 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryposa View Post
Breakfast

1/2 avocado

Smoked salmon rolled around a teaspoon of cream cheese

Sliced tomato and onion

Midmorning snack

2 meatballs on Atkins bread

Lunch

Large salad made of greens, tomato, cucumber, artichoke, asparagus, mushrooms, broccoli, red cabbage, walnuts and onion, dressed with olive or flaxseed oil and vinegar

Chicken breast cutlet

Midafternoon snack

Berries with cottage cheese

Dinner

Steak

Sautéed spinach and red peppers in garlic and oil

Steamed asparagus

Peach

Snack Time

Even with years of nutrition education under my rapidly expanding belt, when I was feeling tired and nauseous in the early months I sometimes found it hard to eat the right foods. That’s why it is important to have a few light, high-protein foods handy at all times. My favorites are:

Cottage cheese served with melon cubes, grapefruit, strawberries or blueberries
1/2 tablespoon peanut butter with 1/3 banana or 1 teaspoon of low-carb strawberry jam on Atkins bread
Atkins Advantage™ Bars
Atkins™ Strawberry Shake
Sliced turkey (or any other sliced meat) rolled up with lettuce, tomato and cucumber
Hard-boiled eggs
1/2 tuna salad sandwich on Atkins bread and 1/2 cup whole milk
2 high-protein veggie burgers with mustard
Tofu with tomato and cheese
Nuts or seeds
This looks good except for the Atkins bread, bars, shakes and the tofu and veggie burgers. I cant eat grains or soy and I pretty much avoid all processed foods. Other than that, very do-able!

Maryposa - I am 31 too! I am also not far from your weight so thank you for sharing what your doctor said.
Old 05-13-2009, 03:59 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocahontas View Post
This looks good except for the Atkins bread, bars, shakes and the tofu and veggie burgers. I cant eat grains or soy and I pretty much avoid all processed foods. Other than that, very do-able!

Maryposa - I am 31 too! I am also not far from your weight so thank you for sharing what your doctor said.
From what I am reading in Valerie's new book, I don't think she would be eating those things these days anyway.... correct me if I am wrong, Valerie? But she has a segment called "Not Soy Good" and the book itself (The Stubborn Fat Fix) is based on "clean" low carb eating. No "fake stuff". 1 tbsp of sugar free davinci's is allowed but nothing else I have seen in the way of "fake" food.

That's interesting that we have similar stats! I dunno how close in weight/height we are, but I am 5'6" and a size 18/20 (more like 20) on top and 22/24 on bottom. Dress size 20 or 22 depending on style. I would love to lose 40lb (or 2 sizes if I continue to shrink but not lose weight)... I have alot of muscle but still doing strength training NOW because I really feel it will help with pregnancy later. In fact there are three pregnant women that attend a very difficult strength training class that I attend, and I am visually "learning" the alternate moves by watching them.

Last edited by Maryposa; 05-13-2009 at 04:04 PM..