LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2009, 07:37 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Location: From Mobile, Alabama and Las Vegas,NV but stationed in Maryland
Gallery: Munchie1984
Stats: 186/154/145 5'4
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: February 9, 2009
I drink plenty of water and my throat is always dry?

This just started last week. I've been drinking plenty of water, chewing gum, even drinking hot tea. Any of you have any suggestions? I don't want to go to the store just buying up stuff that I think will help. We're in a recession I'm trying to save all I can. And also could the diet be the cause of this? Do some of you have the same problem? I've never really had dry throat like this before.

Last edited by Munchie1984; 03-16-2009 at 07:39 PM..
Munchie1984 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-2009, 07:41 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: bdladie
Stats: 311/187/150 for now
WOE: South Beach kind of
Start Date: 1/16/06
When I am really sticking to plan under 20 carbs I always have the dry throat, nothing seems to get rid of it for me but lots of water. I have a sip every few minutes and even keep a bottle by my bed at night.

Tania
bdladie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 07:41 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Synesthetic
WOE: High Raw
I've found that this way of eating definitely makes me more hungry, but I haven't had that dry throat feeling since the last time I was sick. Is it possible that you could be coming down with a cold? I guess it's the wrong time of year for allergies or I'd say maybe that.

Yeah ok my answer was useless. Sorry. :blush:
Synesthetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 07:55 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synesthetic View Post
I've found that this way of eating definitely makes me more hungry, but I haven't had that dry throat feeling since the last time I was sick. Is it possible that you could be coming down with a cold? I guess it's the wrong time of year for allergies or I'd say maybe that.

I don't know I was thinking that but then I've had colds before and allergies before but never really a dry throat. I mean it comes and then it goes and then it comes back again. I don't know.
Old 03-16-2009, 07:56 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdladie View Post
When I am really sticking to plan under 20 carbs I always have the dry throat, nothing seems to get rid of it for me but lots of water. I have a sip every few minutes and even keep a bottle by my bed at night.

Tania
yea I have the water by my bed as well.
Old 03-16-2009, 08:02 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Yep on the water here, too. Eating low carb means I spend an appreciable amount of the night peeing.
Old 03-16-2009, 08:13 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LizBeth
Stats: 16/14/6
WOE: Atkins OWL
Start Date: re-re-restarted March 2008
Quote:

Really? eating low carb/hight fat makes you more hungry? I think that's the first time I've ever heard that.
LizBeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 08:30 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SweetSugaree
Stats: 250/207/150
Start Date: RESTART- 5/13/13
I have this same problem....Throat is dry a lot... I to make sure I have lots of cold water with me wherever I go. Another thing I do because sometimes my mouth also gets dry is I will suck on a few pieces of sugar free hard candy throughout the day when its really bad. For me it helps....
SweetSugaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 08:34 PM   #9
KOO
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KOO
Stats: Starting 183(2/06)now below....
WOE: Hcg 9/12/12...142.5/134/130
I find the same thing when I drink a lot of water. Then the only thing that cures that thirst is a cup of hot tea, weird.
KOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 08:51 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Lylotte
Stats: Meh/0/not meh at all!
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Every morning
ever since I started reading this post I feel really thirsty!! I have always loved drinking cold filtered water, when I'm feeling rich Dasani is my favorite treat. I don't drink coffee, tea, or SF pop so I'm pretty much only drinking water since I started Atkins but even still I just love drinking, can't seem to get enough. I think I might try my hand at making some lemonaid tomorrow or homemade iced tea just for variety. Must go get big drink of water now...
Lylotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 09:05 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizBeth View Post
Really? eating low carb/hight fat makes you more hungry? I think that's the first time I've ever heard that.
That's because I'm an idiot and can't type. What I meant to say was "makes me more thirsty." Definitely not more hungry. Maybe I was hungry when I typed that?

Sorry.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:12 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LizBeth
Stats: 16/14/6
WOE: Atkins OWL
Start Date: re-re-restarted March 2008
Quote:
That's because I'm an idiot and can't type. What I meant to say was "makes me more thirsty." Definitely not more hungry. Maybe I was hungry when I typed that?

Sorry.
ah cool. I was worried.
LizBeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 09:33 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Wolfgang
Stats: 339/333/220; 6'2"
WOE: LC Vegetarian
Start Date: February 14, 2009 (Reboot Sept. 12, 2013)
Two things:

1) Your throat may feel more dry BECAUSE you're drinking so much water than before you started LC'ing. While this is a Good Thing for hydration and flushing, you also wash away the mucosal lining of your esophagus and pharynx (your throat) at a bit of a faster rate, leaving it more dry. It's a little like washing your hands too much (stripping oils there, not mucosa), or as women are aware, it's what happens when you "overwash" certain very sensitive areas. With what you're describing, though, your body should adapt to producing a little more mucosal lining, it shouldn't take too long, and you really won't likely do any damage.

2) NOT to scare you - but IF it goes on for a more than a little while without any real explanation, or you find swallowing difficult, have your physician palpate or possibly ultrasound your thyroid, and get some bloodwork done. Though it's unlikely given what you've described, sometimes thyroid nodules (usually benign, non-cancerous) will first be noticed by a feeling of a dry throat and some trouble swallowing as the hyoid (Adam's apple cartilage) isn't getting as smooth a ride over the thyroid area as before.

Hope this helps a little.

Previous LC: 302(2008 high) 292 286(began induction) 273 271 270 266 265 259 258 256 253 252 251 249...

Member of Boot Camp Charlie
Wolfgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 07:39 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MarcellaSF
Stats: Ugh/Better/Yay
WOE: DANDR
Start Date: Restart 5 June 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lylotte View Post
ever since I started reading this post I feel really thirsty!! I have always loved drinking cold filtered water, when I'm feeling rich Dasani is my favorite treat.
Lyotte, you do know that Dasani is just filtered water from municipal water sources, right? I.e., it's the same stuff that comes out of your tap, pretty much.
MarcellaSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 08:22 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang View Post
Two things:

1) Your throat may feel more dry BECAUSE you're drinking so much water than before you started LC'ing. While this is a Good Thing for hydration and flushing, you also wash away the mucosal lining of your esophagus and pharynx (your throat) at a bit of a faster rate, leaving it more dry. It's a little like washing your hands too much (stripping oils there, not mucosa), or as women are aware, it's what happens when you "overwash" certain very sensitive areas. With what you're describing, though, your body should adapt to producing a little more mucosal lining, it shouldn't take too long, and you really won't likely do any damage.

2) NOT to scare you - but IF it goes on for a more than a little while without any real explanation, or you find swallowing difficult, have your physician palpate or possibly ultrasound your thyroid, and get some bloodwork done. Though it's unlikely given what you've described, sometimes thyroid nodules (usually benign, non-cancerous) will first be noticed by a feeling of a dry throat and some trouble swallowing as the hyoid (Adam's apple cartilage) isn't getting as smooth a ride over the thyroid area as before.

Hope this helps a little.
Thanks good info.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:37 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Lylotte
Stats: Meh/0/not meh at all!
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Every morning
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcellaSF View Post
Lyotte, you do know that Dasani is just filtered water from municipal water sources, right? I.e., it's the same stuff that comes out of your tap, pretty much.
Absolutely, and I still love it!! I hate mineral water, feel like I'm licking a stone with the after-taste. Blech

When I used to get in those bottles for my water cooler I always hunted around for demineralized water rather than the spring water. And I Brita filter water religiously every day.

I love the crisp wet feeling of nothingness going down, I always chug my water really fast so I almost feel like I'm drowing.. I guess I'm a little weird eh?
Lylotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 08:49 AM   #17
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: MystG919
Well it makes sense that your throat is always dry because water and tea are 2 great things that dry out your throat quickly. As stated above by Wolfgang, water washes down the mucus lining your throat which keeps it moist and healthy. Tea is no different. Your throat becomes especially dry with COLD liquids.
I know drinking lots of fluids is nice and all, but if you wanna do that AND keep your throat nice and moist, i suggest drinking some pineapple juice (no chunks), sipping some strawberry juice, nibbling on an olive, or putting some honey in your mouth from time to time. These tend to make your mouth salivate and keep your throat moist.
Hope this helped, and to all singers out there drinking lots of water, that's the worst thing you could ever do to your throat.

(I sound so smart XD)
MystG919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 09:10 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
When I get that dry throat thing and a little hacking cough it's asthma symptoms, believe it or not. I had that most of my life before I figured that out. A little bit of asthma "rescue" inhaler and I'm fine.
Janknitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 09:11 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SeaMaiden
WOE: Low Carb/Gluten-Free/No Aspartame or Sucralose
When I buy bottled water the only kind I buy is Fiji or Arrowhead spring water. After I read that Dasani and Aquafina is simply filtered tap water, I refused to spend my hard earned dollars on it. (If I wanted filtered tap, I could use my own and put it in the fridge!)

When on Induction my throat seems to be dryer (probably due to the body releasing extra water that has been stuck in the tissues due to carbs retaining water), but during this time of year I'm always dryer... (the forced heat and what not)
SeaMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 10:41 AM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Heheher
Stats: 142.8/110/now pregnant 125 5'2"
Start Date: 3/18/11
I don't have the dry throat but my lips are SOOOO dry. I have read that if your lips are dry you are dehydrated. I drink SOO much. I don't know how that is possib;e
Heheher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 12:05 PM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vilanteira
Stats: in maintenance
WOE: juddd/lower carb
Start Date: low carb: 2008, juddd: 10/24/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heheher View Post
I don't have the dry throat but my lips are SOOOO dry. I have read that if your lips are dry you are dehydrated. I drink SOO much. I don't know how that is possib;e
I have that problem too, and I drink insane quantities of water every day. I googled a while back and found some articles about how taking more sea salt (but not table salt) may help, because apparently some people still feel dehydrated even drinking tons of water because of the lack of healthy salts in their body?

I have no idea how true this is, but I did try adding more sea salt in my food the past couple months and oddly enough I do feel more hydrated and my lips are way less dry and chapped.
vilanteira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 12:08 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: bgraham
Stats: 222/155/140
I woke up feeling completely dehydrated. My mouth was SO dry and drinking water did not help.

Then my nose started running, I started sneezing and just felt generally blah.

Took an allergy pill and a 5 hour energy drink and feel much better!
bgraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 12:17 PM   #23
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Drinking slowly, sipping not gulping allows time for the water to absorb in your mouth and throat.

Also, try eating a few 'wet' lettuce leaves or, if they are on plan, try eating some juicy berries (blueberries, raspberries, etc). Ketosis does some interesting things to each body's hydration system. Lettuce and/or blueberries always helped me pretty much instantly.

It is painful to think of, but consider taking yourself out of ketosis to see if the dryness goes away.

And, as said before, if this does not normalize really soon - see a doctor asap!
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 03:31 PM   #24
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SkeeterN
Stats: 4'10 and 170/115 (5 or so pounds up or down)
Start Date: April 2004
The more water I drink the drier my throat feels.
SkeeterN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 03:51 PM   #25
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ~PaperMoon~
Stats: 100+ Pounds lost!
WOE: Low Carb and general low calorie
The only time my throat feels dry is when I drink tea or anything with aspertane in it. I can drink tea every now and then but if I drink a lot of it my throat starts to feel dry.
~PaperMoon~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 05:04 PM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: beachguy
Stats: 320/210/220
WOE: Starting Leptin Rx Nov 2011
Start Date: July 4, 2002
Both high and low cortisol can cause excessive thirst.
beachguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 07:44 AM   #27
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: misty1028
Stats: high 189 to 115 restart 169/139/120
WOE: low carb-Atkins/South Beach
Start Date: 1st-9-13-04 restart 1-1-11
Now that the weather is changing and heat is on in the house, I find my throat has been dry too. Could it be that?
misty1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 09:09 AM   #28
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sweetpoison
Stats: 225/225/160
WOE: 80/20 PRIMAL
Start Date: 05/16/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lylotte View Post
Absolutely, and I still love it!! I hate mineral water, feel like I'm licking a stone with the after-taste. Blech

When I used to get in those bottles for my water cooler I always hunted around for demineralized water rather than the spring water. And I Brita filter water religiously every day.

I love the crisp wet feeling of nothingness going down, I always chug my water really fast so I almost feel like I'm drowing.. I guess I'm a little weird eh?
Like you.... I want my water to taste like nothing... I drink Aquafina... which is also...purified tap water. I have a filter on my tap and I still do not like the water
sweetpoison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 11:24 AM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: coffeeandcream
Stats: 228/205/160
WOE: LC
Start Date: October 2012
Can also be a side affect of medication.
coffeeandcream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:58 PM   #30
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: DodecaBeing
Some Salt is Essential for maintaining proper hydration

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilanteira View Post
I have that problem too, and I drink insane quantities of water every day. I googled a while back and found some articles about how taking more sea salt (but not table salt) may help, because apparently some people still feel dehydrated even drinking tons of water because of the lack of healthy salts in their body?

I have no idea how true this is, but I did try adding more sea salt in my food the past couple months and oddly enough I do feel more hydrated and my lips are way less dry and chapped.
Salt is important to maintaining hydration.

When I cook up a batch of chicken breasts in the crock pot, if I don't add a little salt the chicken ends up being very dry.

When I eat too much salt I end up retaining water in my feet and ankles.

Drinking too much water can overwork the kidneys.

Try gargling with warm salt water if your throat is dry.

Also try cutting back on drinking water and eating more fruit. Fruit is mostly water and fiber.

I drunk a gallon of water yesterday and last night woke up with insane dry throat even though I have a CPAP with a humidifier.

I'm going to add a small pinch of sea salt to my dinner tonight and see if that helps with the throat.
DodecaBeing is offline   Reply With Quote